Coulter: Jim Carrey is just the latest in an epidemic of rich elites telling everybody else what to do

posted at 2:41 pm on March 26, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

There’s been no shortage of refutations of Jim Carrey’s now-infamous Funny or Die video on Monday, and rightfully so; I’m still mystified as to what it was they were attempting to accomplish with the vid, if their thought process even stretched that far. It failed to present any substantive arguments on lawful gun ownership’s effects on gun violence or kids’ safety, nor was there any effective social satire, and, well… it really just wasn’t funny. Sophomoric, at best. Coulter, I think, summed up the real gist of the video in the first half of her Hannity segment last night: Once again, this is about out-of-touch liberal elites descending from on high to direct the other half how to live, while they they can afford to hire armed bodyguards and live in the best neighborhoods. Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s new gun-control advertisements couldn’t even manage to follow the cardinal rules of gun safety while proselytizing about responsibility, and gun-control advocates are trying to re-brand themselves as merely “gun-safety” advocates? Really?

Comments

Rich, fat, loud, often ugly and always stupid elites at that.

Carrey’s only real difference is that he fancies himself a source of humor instead of the usual liberal line of “I’m a Smart Educated Enlightened Liberal! Bow before me, you bumpkin knaves!”

…and he’s partly right…he IS a great source of laughs.

MelonCollie on March 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

He’ll be happy to let you weed his garden or fix up his fence or gate. Obamacare and gun control are for your health and safety.

He, of course, has seperate but equal healthcare and home security. He is very important. just ask him… he’ll tell you.

acyl72 on March 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Shorter Carrey:

“I volunteer to give the government 40% of my wealth”

Or did I misinterpret him?

BobMbx on March 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I’m from Hollywood and I’m here to help.

Oil Can on March 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I think it was just a way to generate publicity, good or bad, to offset the abysmal movie he just put out.

These Hollywood types, for the most part, are all about the attention.

chelie on March 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

MelonCollie on March 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I never did find him a source of humor or good for a laugh. Maybe it’s just me…

RedInMD on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

And Ms. Coulter doesn’t tell people what to do?

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Doesn’t he have a movie coming out?

GarandFan on March 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

chelie on March 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

His “cold, dead career”.

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

But, is he gay…?

Seven Percent Solution on March 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

…Jim who?

Turtle317 on March 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM

And Ms. Coulter doesn’t tell people what to do?
tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

She’s directing your life?

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

On the Elite of the Cult of Commie Power in the U.S.A. and abroad.

Their Ten Commandments of their Climate Cult.

1. Thou shall be cold if the cult says so.

2. Thou shall be hot if the cult says so.

3. Thou shall not eat a thing that is not on the Climate Cutls list.

4. Thou shall walk or ride a donkey or horse to work and play.

5. Thou shall live in a small hut and be grateful to the Climate Gods.

6. Thou shall not take Michael Manns name in vain.

7. Thou shall not praise the use of the Carbon Energy of Mother Earth.

8. Thous shall not demand proven facts from the climate gods, you shall submit.

9. Thou shall not do unto the climate gods as they do unto you.

10. THOU SHALL DECARBONIZE

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I never did find him a source of humor or good for a laugh. Maybe it’s just me…

RedInMD on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

A pathetic clown whose ”humour” is mainly derived from his odd facial expressions…

jimver on March 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Erika, you need to update this with Gutfeld’s twitter assault on Twitchy.

John the Libertarian on March 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I never did find him a source of humor or good for a laugh. Maybe it’s just me…

RedInMD on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Neither did I – my point was that he’s good to laugh AT. Not WITH.

MelonCollie on March 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I want to know if Bloomburg ever drank more that 16 ounces of soda.

And has he ever eaten two doughnuts in the same day?!

Important stuff as the economy collapses around the world.

GardenGnome on March 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Jim Carrey had to do something now that he (probably) has a restraining order against him for creeping on Emma Stone, a lot.

Neo on March 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Good thing Ann is not a rich elite that tells people what to do.

Pablo Honey on March 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

She’s directing your life?

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I am so in love with Ann Coulter that I could become heterosexual.

thuja on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Haha! Wait a minute! Excuse me, Ms. Coulter? Isn’t that like, the sum total of YOUR job description? Isn’t that, quite literally, you sole occupation? Hi there, Mr. Kettle Black? I have a phone call for you, please hold to be patched through.

Nobody cares what Jim Carrey thinks. And it’s effing “funny or die” for goodness sakes. It’s a “college humor” site, not exactly a bastion of serious intellectual philosophizing. Aaaaaand…. Nobody cares about it. That’s ALL the website is full of, stupid videos meant to make young people laugh. It doesn’t exactly attract the “conservative” sliver of the youth so it’s not surprising that the 55+ readership of HotAir has a collective, “Well… Well, I never!! Who are these hippy liberals to make fun of me?!” moment. But it’s pretty stupid, in reality, to flail about because of a video deriving from this origin. Mountains out of molehills.

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Obviously gay is trendy right now. Like all trends it will fade.

Maybe he can lead the new bestiality or NAMBLA movement in his next film or video. That should be as much of a career builder as tackling important issues such as gun control and obamacare.

Under a socialist regime always think the opposite of reality.

acyl72 on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I shared this in other places. I’ll share it here.
Jim Carrey I have good reason to know some years back bought land here in SW ND to pheasant hunt on.
He was seen in Hettinger county not long after that with a bunch of guys after they had been hunting pheasants.
Far as I know, that happens with guns.
Shotguns, yes.
But they are guns.

Badger40 on March 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Standard old publicity trick. Get your name and face out, especially if you are a has been, and not particularly bright.

billrowe on March 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Shorter Carrey:

“I volunteer to give the government 40% of my wealth”

Or did I misinterpret him?

As a True Leftist Believer and Follower, he should cheerfully give 100% of his wealth and assets to his beloved government and rely on it to determine how much he truly needs financially in a monthly allowance, what work he should be doing, where he should live, how large his abode should be, how many people should be sharing that space, what kind of and how much food he should be allowed to consume, and what, if any vehicle, he really needs. He shouldn’t have to make all those decisions on his own. He’s likely to make the wrong ones.

/s

hawkeye54 on March 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Just remember this take away from that video:

That was an attack on all guns and gun ownership, not just arbitrarily assigned “Assault Weapons” or Magazine clip assaults.

Bottom line: The Proggies are after ALL of our guns, not just the scary-looking ones.

NMRN123 on March 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

“Those grapes were sour any way” would be a shorter posting….

JFKY on March 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I’m seriously ok with Carrey being a washed up former comedian who suffers from depression because his career is in a screaming nose dive… but, I repeat myself.

44Magnum on March 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

She’s directing your life?
whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Not in the slightest. But it’s a cold hard fact that FAR more people have gone by her words, than by Jim Carrey’s. Nobody looks to Jim Carrey for political advice. Jim Carry directs NOBODY’s life.

And it’s her ONLY job. So yeah, she kinda turned her irony meter off before she said this, don’t you think? Or does objectivity just send you into a shaking fit? ;)

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Never mess with a woman who can do Bill Maher.

Archivarix on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I’ll bet that Dumb and Dumber, Redux – Cutting Room Floor, is coming out, soon.

I bet that’s it. A little preliminary publicity.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Didn’t Jim Carrey used to be somebody —an actor or comedian or something?

claudius on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
“Those grapes were sour any way” would be a shorter posting….
JFKY on March 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Oh for sure! But for HotAir? Sweetie thats far too vague. ;)

You’ll forgive me for actually explaining what that actually means.

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Then why did he give “advice?”

JFKY on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Never mess with a woman who can do Bill Maher.

Archivarix on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

And that relationship is why I don’t bother listening to her, or reading anything written by her.

It has become an irrebuttable presumption of irrelevance for me.

It makes me think that both of them are playing their respective devotees.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Didn’t Jim Carrey used to be somebody —an actor or comedian or something?

claudius on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I seem to recall him in some kind of scene, where he was sucking his thumb, in a fetal position, in a bathroom stall.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Well, duh. Our beliefs are beyond question. The left’s beliefs are idiotic. I thought you libs were smart. My bad.

msupertas on March 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM

She’s directing your life?
whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Yeah, I know whatcha mean, but I hear that if you wrap an extra layer of tin foil in your hat it will stop her from controlling your thoughts. But I know it’s tough, we are talking the most formidable mind control criminal in the world here, afterall. It’s not like people can just not watch a video of her or change a tv channel! Insidious, I tell ya!

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM

These Hollywood types, for the most part, are all about the attention.

chelie on March 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Precisely.

UltimateBob on March 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

You’ll forgive me for actually explaining what that actually means.

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Your long, passive-aggressive, posting basically saying, “Neener-neener it was all a JOKE. Lighten up Francis.” In response to the scathing reception it received….

Basically you are just rationalizing, AFTER THE FACT, the failure…you know, “Those grapes were sour.”?

JFKY on March 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Who’d have ever thought that somebody who spent five years with Jenny McCarthy and shared her cause against vaccinations would have arrogant moonbat political views?

Gingotts on March 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I’m from Hollywood and I’m here to help.

Oil Can on March 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

We could construct a good “horror flic” around that line.

listens2glenn on March 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

These Hollywood types, for the most part, are all about the attention.

chelie on March 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Yep. And he’s sort of late, too.

Blake on March 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Gingotts on March 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Maybe she was still a bed wetter back then, and it affected his psyche.

msupertas on March 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

She’s directing your life?

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Cold hard fact? Uh, no it’s not.

Jim Carrey (a Canadian citizen, by the way) and his ilk are actively urging lawmakers to violate their oaths to uphold the Constitution. I don’t agree with everything Coulter says or does, but I can’t recall her ever advocating for p1ssing all over our founding principles.

UltimateBob on March 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

What objectivity are you referring to?

She mostly advocates for people to stop telling other people what to do by trying to legislate their beliefs into law.

Mimzey on March 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Never mess with a woman who can do Bill Maher.

Archivarix on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

It has become an irrebuttable presumption of irrelevance for me.

It makes me think that both of them are playing their respective devotees.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Listen, a lot of us have fracked morons before.
Some of us even have had kids with a moron.
We can grow up you know.
I enjoy her nasty wit, but don’t worship her.

Badger40 on March 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

She’s directing your life?

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Even a community of 100% atheists, is better off, if they live their daily walk of life according to the standards of morality laid out in the Christian Bible.

listens2glenn on March 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

UltimateBob on March 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Exactly.

Mimzey on March 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Translation: she doesn’t confuse living in a moralless, drug-ridden cesspit with no family structure as the highest ideal of “Freedom” like you and the rest of your thumb-sucking liberaltarian buddies.

MelonCollie on March 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Badger40 on March 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I understand what you’re saying; but my brother told me that Coulter was recently singing the praises of Maher’s wittiness and intelligence, and how funny he is.

I don’t think that she’s “grown up.”

I think it’s a two-man circle jerk, and they’re playing people.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Didn’t Jim Carrey used to be somebody —an actor or comedian or something?

claudius on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

the closest he came to funny for me was as Fire Marshall Bill which was a cheap imitation of Super Dave Osborn from 20 years previous, his movies were pretty dull from what I recall

DanMan on March 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

They’ve so internalized the presumption of their moral superiority and of the stupidity of the unwashed “clingers” that they no longer feel any obligation to exercise a “thought process.” To whom would they owe such an obligation? Their peers hold them to no standard (Bill Maher’s “Sarah Palin is a c*nt” is celebrated as some kind of crescendo of witty put-down), and the rest of us are beneath contempt.

rrpjr on March 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

DanMan on March 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

You have a helluva backhand.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

rrpjr on March 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

That’s some good stuff. Dart meet bullseye.

And the majority of voters agree with them – and that will get even worse.

The Communists targeted the public schools and settled into their war of attrition on the minds of their wards.

So much so that their wards are now mindless – which is precisely where the State wants them.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Apparently the trolls are irritated because we were supposed to like being made fun of.

We didn’t care much for it, a few of us have said as much, and suddenly they’ve got their panties in a wad and are out in force to remind us how intolerant we are of their intolerance.

CurtZHP on March 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Didn’t Jim Carrey used to be somebody —an actor or comedian or something?

claudius on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

There’s a bagger at my local grocery store chain named Jim Carrey.
Is that the same guy??

Mimzey on March 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

MelonCollie on March 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I think you just described every American city. Created by one group forcing its idea of “society” on the masses through writ of federal government.

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

And Ann Coulter is a part of that epidemic of rich folk telling everyone what to do.

They should all sit down and STFU – Ann Coulter too.

HondaV65 on March 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

listens2glenn on March 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I agree. The basic commandments are really part of a previous set of commandments not associated with Judaism, if I am not mistaken.
Really morality is a timeless & irreligious thing.

I don’t think that she’s “grown up.”
I think it’s a two-man circle jerk, and they’re playing people.
OhEssYouCowboys on March 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I’m sure. I still enjoy some of her writing though.

Badger40 on March 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

They should all sit down and STFU – Ann Coulter too.

HondaV65 on March 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I think the Lenin-Piven-Cloward-inspired Obama voters really ought to STFU, myself……

JFKY on March 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM

There’s a bagger at my local grocery store chain named Jim Carrey.
Is that the same guy??

If it isn’t it should be. Then he’d really being doing something useful, productive and of value.

Something that can’t be said of the majority of the films in which he’s appeared.

hawkeye54 on March 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I never did find him a source of humor or good for a laugh. Maybe it’s just me…RedInMD on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

He’s so 90s. Funny in living color withered the Elvis and MJ slits and in the batman flick. Other than that over the top Jr high slapstick. Nothing worth shelling even a buck ever since.

AH_C on March 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We should round up all the Canadians and send them back to Canada.

Except Pamela Anderson.

JackM on March 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

JackM on March 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You don’t mean Celine Dion, too do you?

JFKY on March 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I never did find him a source of humor or good for a laugh. Maybe it’s just me…

[RedInMD on March 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM]

Neither did I. I’d wondered why a grown man would want to portray a juvenile in all his movies but soon figured out that his act was trying to portray a grown man in real life and that was even worse since he had to rely on himself for the script writing.

Dusty on March 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

“How are things going in Detroit by the way?”

One line rebutal of the commie democrats and usefull fool libertarians.

Give them all the time they want to tell how good things are there.

If they go over it often enough sooner or later a few of them will get it.

Progress For Progressives. PFP.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

We should round up all the Canadians and send them back to Canada.

Except Pamela Anderson.

JackM on March 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You would need a biohazard export permit for Pam.

Aviator on March 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I live Ann coulter.

Rusty Allen on March 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It’s pretty similar to Coulter telling people they can’t smoke pot.

fatlibertarianinokc on March 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Pretty much a description of most of Carrey’s films.

kim roy on March 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

This from Ann Coulter? Who tried to tell us to vote for Christie Romney the latest flavor of the day, or else America would fall to the Dems and we’d be lost?

Boy…

When it comes to elites telling us how to live, I think Ann Coulter needs to stop calling this particular kettle black IYKWIMAITYD.

gryphon202 on March 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

They should all sit down and STFU – Ann Coulter too.

HondaV65 on March 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Hey look, it’s the Obama voter. Hey Obama voter, you having fun with this?

You must – you voted for it!

kim roy on March 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

It’s pretty similar to Coulter telling people they can’t smoke pot.

fatlibertarianinokc on March 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Except that’s not what Coulter ever said. Her argument is that people shouldn’t be allowed to get blitzed without consequences when the responsible among us have to pay for other people’s bad choices.

gryphon202 on March 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Badger40 on March 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I believe you may have the Code of Hammurabi in mind there. If so, you are mistaken. :)

whatcat on March 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

gryphon202 on March 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Let’s take what you wrote and turn it around.

“People shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun without consequences when the responsible among us have to pay for other people’s bad choices”.

Using your justification for the drug war, one could make the same argument against gun ownership. If you have a right to your life, property and do with your body as you wish then that should include smoking a plant, and certainly owning a weapon to protect that life. I think individuals are free to own a bazooka, a nuke if they so choose. But of course, nukes would never happen. If GOVERNMENT can do it, own it, shoot it or smoke it then so should we!

fatlibertarianinokc on March 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I am not watching a 30 second commercial for every single news story on Breitbart and Hotair.

Sorry, I know you need to earn some income but this is garbage.

DavidM on March 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM

They should all sit down and STFU – Ann Coulter too.

HondaV65 on March 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Hey look, it’s the Obama voter. Hey Obama voter, you having fun with this?

You must – you voted for it!

kim roy on March 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I bet he screams when Ann flips her hair back.

slickwillie2001 on March 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Although Jim C did utter perhaps the funniest movie line ever (but of course he likely did not write it):

“I fell out of a jetway again today.”

In the overall setup of the movie to that point, the “again” is pretty close to side-splitting.

drunyan8315 on March 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM

eh, go write another book.

As for JimC…. you just lost a fan pal.

johnnyU on March 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Right. Leftists would like to think that – and never tire of trying to stretch moral equivalence to make it seem so – but it just isn’t so.
The leftists want the nanny-state to take care of them from womb to tomb, and protect them from being upset or inconvenienced.
The Right just wants the government to butt out and leave us the hell alone.

But, you know that.

Solaratov on March 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on March 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

You’ll forgive me for actually explaining what that actually means.

Genuine on March 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Redundant much?

Solaratov on March 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM

It’s pretty similar to Coulter telling people they can’t smoke pot.

fatlibertarianinokc on March 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

It seems somewhat…odd…that absolutely everything in the libertarian world is somehow tied into POT. Always POT. They always manage to bring it into the conversation – no matter what the conversation is about.

Strange bunch.

Solaratov on March 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM

blockquote>Like the rest of the cons, she likes to demand use of government power to support her own beliefs such as marriage, religion, and prohibition, but is outraged when the left does the same with their beliefs.

tdarrington on March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

At least our side is open about it. You guys prate on about rights — such as a right to make others buy your condoms, or about how churches must be open to allowing gays to marry within their precincts to keep their tax exemptions.

unclesmrgol on March 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM

A loud mouth living and thinking in a fictional world thinking we should listen to his trash.

mixplix on March 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

unclesmrgol on March 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM

And unlike tarbaby, our way would actually lead to prosperity and an orderly society. But to the closet anarchists lurking in the liberaltarian party, any kind of control by anyone whatsoever is evil.

MelonCollie on March 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM