Rand Paul: Why ruin a young nonviolent drug offender’s life by sending him to jail?

posted at 3:21 pm on March 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Gateway Pundit, here’s the buzziest bit from yesterday’s “Fox News Sunday” appearance. More than his civil-liberties advocacy, more than his pitch to get the government out of marriage, this call to lighten up on nonviolent drug users is, I think, the surest way to win a fresh look for the GOP from young voters and minorities in 2016. He also stands more of a chance of selling it to conservatives than he does with his marriage position, if only because he can talk up the savings inherent in fewer prosecutions and incarcerations and frame it as a budget issue. He’ll have some trouble with older voters, but even older Americans might prove a bit more understanding than they used to be. There’s also reason to believe that, if anyone can move the GOP base on this, Paul’s the guy: If you want to see how dramatically his Senate filibuster moved the numbers on Obama’s drone policy, compare the poll data from two days before the filibuster to the data today. If he wants to gain similar traction on drug sentencing, he should dress it up as a critique of Obama’s drug policy specifically. Tearing down elements of bigger government by emphasizing The One’s fondness for it is bound to soften up otherwise skeptical voters on the right.

Two things, though. First, having just dumped on Claire McCaskill for pretending to hold a position she secretly disagrees with for electoral gain, it’d be dishonest not to note the same suspicions about Paul. He says he’s not in favor of legalizing marijuana; he must be the only libertarian in America who isn’t, just like he’s the only libertarian in America who claims to want strong borders. One of his real liabilities with mainstream conservatives, I think, is the suspicion that he and his dad secretly are more or less in sync (especially on foreign policy) and that his comparative moderation would soon disappear once in office. In this particular case I hope it would, but I’d rather have a candidate shoot straight with me before I consider voting for him. Second, Paul’s core issue is, of course, reducing federal spending (he just rolled out his proposed 2014 budget), but I wonder if his unorthodox party positions on foreign policy and social issues — drug sentencing, marriage, even abortion — will lead him to be pigeonholed as a sort of libertarian culture warrior, which hurts him in 2016 if social conservatives mobilize against the centrist trend among the GOP establishment on “values” issues. With all the angst among conservatives about economic stagnation, ObamaCare, and solving the entitlements crisis, it’d be bizarre if the next presidential primary came down to a fight over culture. But maybe it’s unavoidable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I agree with your self hatred tirade, you should be. No, I do not care about how it will effect your life, you knew it going in.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, I knew the show would be that much more AWESOME, which it was. I also had a few glasses of wine following. Now that I think about it, they should lock me up and throw away the key.

mazer9 on March 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

mazer9 on March 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Well, if it was white wine, then your good in my book. ELSE! LOL

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM

If he drove, anyone in his path had their right to a safe travel route on the road infringed.

You have no idea if he drove. I always take a taxi if I’ve imbibed anything.

Then again, jay walkers do not infringe on anyone, until the higher risk activity the partake in goes bad.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Which is why jay walkers do not get arrested, but instead get a fine. That SHOULD be the most that happens to people caught with pot. At the very most, there should be a “personal use” limit.

And to your earlier point comparing weed use to meth use, once again you demonstrate your lack of knowledge on the subject. This may sound implausible, but a large part of the reason I first tried pot was because I had been debating the issue for years and realized I didn’t know who to believe on how good or bad it was. Now having the experience, and knowing that it is a mixed, but largely positive bag, I know that it does not even BEGIN to compare to the effects brought on by meth use, heroin use, cocaine use, etc. I explained this further in the post that still hasn’t shown up, but I stated that I would advocate for the legalization of all psychedelics. As for stimulants, opoids and such…as before, I’m conflicted. From a purely legislative standpoint, I believe people should have the freedom to choose to put them in their bodies. I’d just advise anyone I knew against it(although if I have to give them that advice, they’re probably not too bright to begin with).

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I looked for it when I got home, still not there…

The problem is your advice or the advice of the community is meaningless to them if they can have acceptable lives living on welfare. You have far more leverage, in a free way, if when they fall into problems they have to actually beg for the help.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I fully agree. I guess part of my appeal for drug legalization is rooted in a deep-down feeling that welfare reform simply isn’t going to happen. The Dems won’t do it, the Republicans sure as hell won’t do it with numbnuts like Boehner and Cantor at the helm. If we’re going to be taxed to death, we might as well get f**ked up while it’s going on.

And you know, by the way…that somewhere out there is a fat woman on welfare chugging down Franzia by the mug. Yes, she’s even using a coffee mug to drink it. One that says “grow your own dope, plant a man!”

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Not sure what Franzia is… Google says wine, world’s most popular! Not to mention good for the environment.
Yeah, there is always that escape thing. That just always puts off the inevitable.
Maybe this is my escape, I abuse games, particularly the online kind! Everyone needs an escape.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

It’s box wine, quite despised by wine enthusiasts with which the good Lord has punished me with acquaintance.

Oh, and you want to talk welfare leeches…never met more unemployed parasites than in MMOs. Apparently that’s what they’re spending our tax money on – microtransactions! I’d rather they spent the money on weed and bought a decent game like Skyrim or Fallout 3, rather than buying another goddamn hat for their avatar.

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Eh, I play the pay to play versions, or did when they existed well enough. Particularly the pay one in a big payment play for life of game. I like Skyrim but never tried fallout, just not into that retro looking world of 1950s or earlier posters and such.

I do not like to support anyone, it is nothing specifically personal against drug users… Just it is something currently forbidden. I am not into making new illegal stuff.

I would rather inform people that welfare is not sustainable and we should start cutting people off. Otherwise in about 9 years, the end of the road comes and everyone is cut off cold turkey in one fell swoop.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Fallout is Skyrim with guns. Get it. Trust me. If you’re not into the DC setting, there’s Fallout: New Vegas which uses the same engine, but has more of a Western feel to it. Both games are fantastic for anyone who likes FPS-RPGs.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

How about a compromise? When the welfare state collapses, we legalize weed, since only a few of us working stiffs will be able to afford it anyway!

We can even go around town blowing smoke in the faces of all the homeless rejects that got kicked out of the Salvation Army for demanding internet access and birth control.

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

That sounds like a good truce. If you win without my help for legalization, and you are right about low extra burdens, I will not be fighting to reinstate drugs laws. I just got to resist somewhere. Gay marriage and Drugs are about my only place right now where I have ability to resist.

Gay marriage is probably a foregone conclusion so long as openly gay military remains. I do not see people voting against war heroes when they come home demanding “marriage”. Bleg!

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Oh, and for buying a new game. Probably not for a while. My contract job looks like they will be hiring me permanently, at a cut in pay of course (benefits blah blah blah). Just paid tuition for my wife’s cousin, surgery for another cousin, surgery for her grandpa. Never ending tides of need out there. So, I am going on low cost of living again for probably 3 months.

Also, i am not a wine drinker, I like chambord in a mountain dew.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Also, i am not a wine drinker, I like chambord in a mountain dew.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Then may I also recommend War Thunder. Completely free, fun airplane combat simulator. I hope your situation improves.

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

It is not a bad situation. I can take care of the problems. But I would totally be way better off if our dollar was more valuable and I got to keep much more of them. At least I will finally have health insurance. It is actually reasonably normal insurance insurance. Max out of pocket for family is $6000 and the first $1000 is directly funded by the company.

astonerii on March 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Let me reward your question a bit for you, Rand. Why would a young person ruin their own lives by doing drugs and thus getting sent to jail? You seem to believe the consumer of the illicit substance has no responsibility in this.

Dunedainn on March 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Dunedainn on March 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Why did Rosa Parks refuse to get out of her seat when she knew it might “ruin” her life?

mazer9 on March 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM