Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on March 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

A White House official would not comment on the timing of more presidential travel, but said people should expect to see Obama travel outside DC to bolster his insistence that gun control measures “deserve a vote” in Congress.

Obama will have help. Over the coming two-week congressional recess, representatives of the Brady Campaign and Mike Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns tell BuzzFeed they’re gearing up for major campaigns aimed at ginning up votes for gun control over recess. That includes grassroots lobbying of members while they’re home and other efforts.

***

[T]hree months later, the NRA has regained its footing, rallying gun owners and lawmakers against new gun controls in a fierce lobbying effort that appears to be paying dividends on Capitol Hill…

“[NRA CEO] Wayne LaPierre made terrible mistakes early on. They took two very bad spills,” Ross Baker, political scientist at Rutgers University, said Friday in a phone interview. “But they quickly recovered and they assumed their usual position of dominance…

A Democratic strategist familiar with the issue … [argued] that the more controversial elements of Obama’s gun-control wish-list —particularly the assault weapons ban — were never expected to pass Congress.

By pushing hard for that ban, the strategist said, Democrats were simply negotiating from the left, always with the idea they could cash in that chip to get the universal background checks that stand at the core of their effort to keep violent people from buying guns.

“For once, the Democrats actually did things in a smart way. Instead of starting by giving in, they started by asking for more,” the strategist said. “You could call it a momentum change, but this was always the way this was going to play out.”

***

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg plans to spend $12 million on a television ad campaign meant to pressure senators into backing gun control efforts, including comprehensive background checks.

The national campaign from Mayors Against Illegal Guns will target states whose senators are on the fence, according to the New York Post…

“These ads bring the voices of Americans — who overwhelmingly support comprehensive and enforceable background checks — into the discussion to move senators to immediately take action to prevent gun violence,” Bloomberg said in a statement issued by the group he co-founded in 2006.

***

The N.R.A. plans to roll out its own lobbying campaign, using print and broadcast advertising to reach lawmakers during the recess. But its leaders said that their investment was unlikely to rival the intensity of Mr. Bloomberg’s spending, to be carried out through Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group he co-founded.

“Can we match Mayor Bloomberg dollar for dollar?” asked Chris W. Cox, the group’s chief lobbyist. “No one can. We don’t have to.”

He predicted that voters and senators would resist a message from an out-of-state magnate who is associated with government limits on soda and salt.

“What he is going to find out is that Americans don’t want to be told by some elitist billionaire what they can eat, drink and they damn well don’t want to be told how, when and where they can protect their families,” Mr. Cox said.

***

So, why aren’t the polling numbers on gun control swaying more members of Congress? Many of the poll numbers don’t capture the nuances of public opinion. For example, there is a significant difference in the level of passion of voters on the two sides of the issue. While members of the National Rifle Association or conservative gun owners home in on this issue, gun-control proponents may not register that sort of excitement.

The level of voter passion may also depend on where the respondents live. In January, there were 44 gun homicides in Chicago. In 2011, there were only 40 gun homicides in North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont combined. The political pressure for members of Congress from those states is much less than it would be for a senator from Illinois. In fact, Sens. Dick Durbin, a Democrat, and Mark Kirk, a Republican, both from Illinois, are two of the lawmakers who have come out strongly for some of these gun-control laws.

Lanae Erickson Hatalsky, the director of social policy and politics for Third Way, said her group has conducted polling in some of these states where gun violence isn’t a major issue. When they asked if they thought policies would be effective in reducing crime, most respondents said it wouldn’t. When asked if legislation was addressing a problem in their community or somewhere far away, most respondents went with the latter. The support for gun-control policies then is “really high but shallow,” Hatalsky said.

“People will support this and they think it’s a good idea, but they don’t feel super deeply about it,” Hatalsky said. “They’re not convinced that it will necessarily work and that it will work to change their own lives.”

***

“I don’t think there’s ever been an issue where the public has spoken so clearly where Congress hasn’t eventually understood and done the right thing,” Bloomberg said on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” adding: “I think we are going to win this. Celebrating in advance isn’t the right thing to do. We’ve got to go out — we’ve got a lot of work ahead of us.”

Bloomberg acknowledged that the assault weapons ban faces an uncertain future, though, because the public isn’t as united on that issue…

“I don’t think we should give up on the assault weapons ban,” Bloomberg said. “But clearly it is a more difficult issue for a lot of people. I don’t know that that reflects the NRA’s power. It may be just that people have different views about assault weapons than they do about background checks.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

***

Right now, we have a real chance to reduce gun violence in America, and prevent the very worst violence. We have a unique opportunity to reaffirm our tradition of responsible gun ownership, and also do more to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or people with a severe mental illness.

We’ve made progress over the last three months, but we’re not there yet. And in the weeks ahead, I hope Members of Congress will join me in finishing the job – for our communities and, most importantly, for our kids.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

*repoof*

Axe on March 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Poofer… ;p

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 1:42 AM

It’s a bit hard to wrap your head arond the magnitude of the lie, the lie that the gun controllers are trying to prevent crime. They aren’t.

In fact, gun laws that would reduce crime if enforced actually undercut the gun controllers whole agenda, which is incrementally restricting the access of the law-abiding to firearms until the 2nd Amendment is meaningless. They demand “reasonable” restrictions on the law-abiding, depending on the entirely predictable failure of those restrictions to reduce crime as evidence the restrictions did not go far enough.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Axe on March 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM

LOL!

Sorry… I didn’t mean to be abrupt.:) I guess you hit on a pet peeve.

I’m just not a fan of the ‘onesie’ craze that has full grown adults prancing around in those zip up rompers with feet meant for infants, and frankly, I find that trend sort of disturbing.

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM

. . . yes ma’am. :)

Wow. I haven’t been crystal cleared in a long, long time. :)

Er . . . *repoof*

Axe on March 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The banter between you two is quiet entertaining..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Jackie, spin one will you? I need some inspiration.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I hear you..Like I said let Obie do this “gun grabbing” tour..He is going to fall flat o his face..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

LOL!:) Made me laugh. :)

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Did you know that Canada gave up on its registration law after widespread defiance and zero evidence it reduced crime?

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Okay Nova… this is my all time favorite cut of Harlem Nocturne. It’s Georgie Auld…and I think it’s quite special. :)

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM

. . . yes ma’am. :)

Wow. I haven’t been crystal cleared in a long, long time. :)

Er . . . *repoof*

Axe on March 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The banter between you two is quiet entertaining..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Heh heh heh, like a couple of 5th graders flirting… lol lol lol

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Oh, that was sweet!

I knew when I said I needed inspiration you would come up with something wonderful.

I’m inspired. Tenderly

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I did not know that..But I am not suprised..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

You need to get out more, Walker.

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

That’s one of Chet’s best. One of my favorites. Here’s another:

For All We Know – Chet Baker :)

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Well, it’s not like it was reported in the media.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

You need to get out more, Walker.

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

ROTFLMAO… Yea, I probably do.

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I bid you all a fond goodnight. Moonlight Becomes You, one and all. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Oh, Jackie…

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:24 AM

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Good night, Jackie. Thank you.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:25 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM

But the LSM will jump on this train..Futher burying themselves..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

thatsafactjack on March 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Enjoyed it as always..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:27 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM

But the LSM will jump on this train..Futher burying themselves..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Hurumph, I was totally looking forward to seeing the Fifth Column Treasonous Media dangling from streetlamps before they were buried… <—- Insert evil grin here…

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I am with you..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I am with you..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Good evening to you as well. Oh, and I finally got a hold of Dave, he said your wallet was in your right back pocket… :P

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 2:47 AM

When I finished that, I did this one. It just makes me laugh. ; )

Bmore on March 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM

…a troll balloon!

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Daydream

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Am I the only one drinkin’? I’m used to drinkin’ alone but I don’t mind company.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM

The words I have for Obama would get me banned banned from the site. So, I’ll leave it put simply.

You liberals are NOT getting my guns.

I imagine that’s a tad more complicated than, “…Shall not be infringed,” which liberals aren’t understanding in the first place.

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Drink alone, you die alone. Well, my dad used to say so. ~clink~

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Drink alone, you die alone. Well, my dad used to say so. ~clink~

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:08 AM

We all die alone. That is the human condition. Not that I wouldn’t want my loved ones around me. But I’d rather die on a mountaintop pursuing the biggest bighorn I ever saw.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM

If I have to go out, I’d rather it be by saving the life of a stranger.

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM

If I have to go out, I’d rather it be by saving the life of a stranger.

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM

More honorable, way better karma, more likely to free you from the wheel. But I’ve always been selfish.

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:24 AM

novaculus on March 25, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I need, for my own self-serving, to be able to somehow honor God at my last breath. The first words from God that I wish to hear, when I’m face to face with Him, are, “Not bad there, Liam.”

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:31 AM

People are stupid to die for their philosophical enemies.

Mormontheman on March 25, 2013 at 3:34 AM

People are stupid to die for their philosophical enemies.

Mormontheman on March 25, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I grasp you point, and don’t debate you. But, in an emergency, who would stop to ask about religion or politics?

Liam on March 25, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Good Morning HA!

Hey Bmore-
just tuned into morning joe, no joe or mika this am…whew
i guess they figured they didn’t want another 20 minute rant against la pierre and the stupid gop who won’t vote for background checks every hour on the hour with joe

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Make no mistake: They will win by drying up the ammunition supplies.

Key West Reader on March 25, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Because, if we Law-Abiding Americans have our guns taken away, criminals will automatically turn their guns in, too. …or, something. “Gun Control: Bloomberg and Carrey…Dumb and Dumber” My take.

kingsjester on March 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Key West Reader on March 25, 2013 at 6:52 AM

mr cmsinaz was looking online for ammo
yesterday…it’s quadrupled in price for a 100 round of 9mm…

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM

kingsjester on March 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

good take KJ

idiots all around us…

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Thank you, ma’am. The lyrics to Carrey’s new song have not been released , yet. The video can be found on Funny or Die. I couldn’t bring myself to watch it on a Monday morning.

kingsjester on March 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM

kingsjester on March 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I hear ya

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hey Bmore-
just tuned into morning joe, no joe or mika this am…whew

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM

That’s what I call a good Monday!

Hard to figure out what they would spin this morning:

Israel launches missiles into Syria after the rat-eared devil’s “successful” diplomatic trip to the region.

Gun-grabbing legislation is going nowhere close to the scope and breadth that was a wet dream for the anti-Second crowd at the Brady Campaign, Bloomberg, DiFi and all rest of the treasonous hypocrites.

The absurdity of sequestration continues as the White House cancels tours but offers billions to our enemies for “foreign aid.” Hours at Yosemite are cut back even as the government spends millions on five more national parks (all in states friendly to the rat-eared devil). And, of course, the horror that House staffers might become malnourished because they have to pay market rate for their lunches- the horror of a $7 gourmet cheeseburger!

I guess Mika and Joe might have done a riff on Karl Rove’s comment that the next GOP candidate might support gay marriage but where do you go with “might?” More commie liberal advice about what the GOP has to do?

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Oh, and BTW, despite the fact we know the rat-eared devil thinks Indiana is going to win the NCAA tournament, we still don’t know what he intends to submit to Congress in the budget that was due months ago.

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM

mr cmsinaz was looking online for ammo
yesterday…it’s quadrupled in price for a 100 round of 9mm…

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM

…”it has necessarily skyrocketed!”

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM

The video can be found on Funny or Die.

kingsjester on March 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Do we get to choose? Because if there isn’t a way to vote, I’m not interested.

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM

The video can be found on Funny or Die. kingsjester on March 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Spot-on, KJ. “Funny or die” is a bad place for Jim Carrey to be. It’s been a while since he’s been funny…
BTW, we were talking with friends: weapons and ammo are clearly the best investments around right now. Nothing else has quadrupled in value.

indypat on March 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

heh

More commie liberal advice about what the GOP has to do?

the rest of the mj crew is doing fine in that department, poor dan senor all alone…

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM

indeed….
but hey let’s go campaigning on gun control instead, they don’t need my budget now

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM

ugh

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM

You’re giving ‘em waaaaaaay too much credit, Allah’.

They don’t have a “well meaning” bone in their body.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM

*unpoof*

Listens2Glenn, you know those up there are all quotes from other places, right? Your quote is from thehill.com, Mike Lillis. That’s not Allahpundit.

He always puts at least one link in the snip, to the article, and separates the snips with this: ***

Just making sure.

*repoof*

Axe on March 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Uh ohhh ….. ( b l u s h )
I “hit ‘n’ run” with that last night. Didn’t catch your correction till this morning.

(still blushing)

listens2glenn on March 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Barnicle calling out anti Semitism on those opposing Bloomberg

Puhleeze

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM

If only oblamo and the senate felt as strongly about the budget and the debt as they do about gun control.

acyl72 on March 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

They are going to try to get their gun grab done in the states. We pointed the way with efforts at stopping Ocare so they jumped on it for their agenda. Watch as more states like CO with lib govs and legislatures sell out the Constitution and their people. These so called blue states need to start recall efforts now if they want to maintain some semblance of freedom. Look for CA to tax savings ala Cyprus. hmmmmmm.

Kissmygrits on March 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM

President Barack Obama is ready to hit the road on a new campaign-style public relations trip, hoping to breathe new life into the push for stronger gun control laws…

Golly, we have the popcorn ready and panting with delight and anticipation. He has a gift, ya know?

Herb on March 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

“As I’ve said before, we may not be able to prevent every act of violence in this country. But together, we have an obligation to try. We have an obligation to do what we can.”

Not seeing the logic in the obligation to “do something (collectively) even if its wrong”.

I challenge anyone to deny the simple fact that the root cause of senseless violence is DEPRAVITY !
Deal with the root cause and you can expect results. Attempting to control access to guns does not ensure safety – I would expect even depraved person could pass all the muster and legally attain a gun.

alQemist on March 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM

rat eared dog eater.

tom daschle concerned on March 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Ah c’mon-what’s with the defeatist attitude? /

2L8 on March 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM

; )

Bmore on March 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

mr cmsinaz was looking online for ammo
yesterday…it’s quadrupled in price for a 100 round of 9mm…

cmsinaz on March 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM

…”it has necessarily skyrocketed!”

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM

It is my understanding that never before in history as such a demand for weapons and ammo, and such an increase in prices for those weapons and ammo not come just before a significant armed conflict.

SWalker on March 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM