Fictional gangster rap video apparently not so fictional

posted at 2:01 pm on March 24, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Life imitates art? As Big Apple news outlet The Gothamist points out, sometimes life imitates rap. In this touching story, a couple of young men create a very skillfully produced music video based on a popular rap song, showing them driving around to rob people. Hilarity ensues.

In an apparent attempt to one-up Tilda Swinton’s new nap-taking art gig, five men who made a violent rap video showing themselves robbing someone at gunpoint have been arrested…for repeatedly robbing people at gunpoint.

The video, called “The Joy” and uploaded to YouTube in 2011, shows three men in a Mercedes who are about to commit a robbery; two men, wearing ski masks get out and rob another man at gunpoint in a building hallway, then getting back in the car and speed off. The video’s based on Jay-Z and Kanye West’s song of the same name, it’s artistically shot and has racked up over 2,000 likes. But it looks like the stars took method-acting to the next leve—cops say all three stars and two other men involved in the video’s making have committed a number of armed robberies in the Bronx and Westchester County.

Apparently the job of catching up with these diabolically clever criminals was made somewhat easier for the police by the fact that the Mercedes Benz used by the gangsters in the video was the same car they used in the real life robberies.

A friend of mine who works in local law enforcement once gave me a rather sobering warning regarding crime in America. He said that the many stories we see on shows like “World’s Dumbest Criminals” and the amusing, tales of the weird type news coverage on every media outlet really don’t touch on the real problems we face in law enforcement. These amusing and often repeated stories make for fun discussions around the water cooler, but they don’t cause the police too much stress because the people involved are, well… really stupid. The serious problem, he warned, is with the criminals they rarely catch, because there actually are some smart ones out there.

Fortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Comments

oh oh!

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

…Bloomberg wants their guns?

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

…did they get background checks?

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

One cannot spell loathsome, parasitic crap without ‘rap.’

locomotivebreath1901 on March 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

…Diane Feinstein is their mother

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I don’t know why this matters. There are stupid and smart people in all walks of life. So smart criminals make an officer’s job tougher. So? Put smart officers on the tough cases.

Crime is crime and I don’t think the average intelligence of the average criminal is increasing. If anything it is in decline like it is with the rest of society.

NotCoach on March 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

If Barky had sons … they’d be as dumb as these characters … maybe dumber. But they would certainly look like them.

I bet the left is heartbroken that these idiots didn’t run into a CC person and get shot dead so they could go all Trayvon on the victim … again.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

…did they get background checks?

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Probably not because they probably “purchased” their firearms through private sales. If only we had universal background checks to discourage them from buying firearms…

NotCoach on March 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

“These men have made art even when it’s against their penal interest,” he said. “Hip-hop artists frequently lament that the state’s main intervention for young black men is to lock them up. It’s sad that no other intervention happened to support these young men’s obvious talent.”

Really? You’re going to play the poor downtrodden minority card when the getaway car was a freakin’ mercedes? Maybe they could have sold the car and financed some artistic endeavor. Too bad it’s more fun and fulfilling within the hip hop culture to go rob some people, whether you need the money or not.

trubble on March 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

NotCoach on March 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Thank God they only had 10 round magazines in their guns!

VegasRick on March 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Several years back I read something put out by the FBI. I might have read it in an NRA article.
Basically, the vast majority of crime in America is caused by about 5000 people. All repeat offenders who are in and out of the system.
Put them away for good and crime would plummet.

This is where we need to go back to what worked.

Public hangings, public stocks, whippings, no parole, quick death penalties. Build more prisons. Build as many prisons as it takes.
When I read that Polly Klaus’s murder had a rap sheet “11 pages long” I about spit! Nobody should have a rap sheet, period!

Also.. prisoners should not be running the prison. Prison rape should be answered with the death penalty. Shave everybody’s heads, remove everybody’s tatoos, everybody wears pink and everybody works hard labor.

JellyToast on March 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

locomotivebreath1901 on March 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

…soccer fan!…I played in school since we had no hockey…but can’t watch it for long.

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

JellyToast on March 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

…Sheriff Joe…in Arizona!

KOOLAID2 on March 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Q: Is Marco Rubio familiar with the “music” made by this group?

Punchenko on March 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Thank God they only had 10 round magazines in their guns!

VegasRick on March 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Isn’t that illegal in New York? Would they really be stupid enough to load more than seven rounds into their mags?

NotCoach on March 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Another example of a bunch of those Mercedes-driving One-Percenters, robbing the 99 percent blind. Oh, wait…

jon1979 on March 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

So if I and those of my political ilk are incensed by this video, can we ransack several embassies or the UN General Assembly? Then afterwards, they makers of the video can be sent to jail for “parole violations” and then Sec of State Kerry can produce public service messages in Ebonics claiming that the video in no way represents the true character of America.

Rixon on March 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I was listening to some rap music just this morning. It was coming from a car about three blocks up the street from me…….

TKindred on March 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

So, will the President and Secretary of State denounce the videos and send the makers to jail for parole violations?

Rixon on March 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Rixon on March 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Heh.

No. The production quality was up to the administration’s standards.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

JellyToast on March 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

There are nearly 2.5 million incarcerated Americans and over half are repeat offenders.

Rusty Allen on March 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Bloomberg want thier Mercedes.

jake49 on March 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Rusty Allen on March 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

And how often have the repeated and gone in and out of jail?

I say, if they like jail so much lets make it a lifetime commitment.

JellyToast on March 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Totally evil people who are smart enough aren’t criminals.

They either get what they want without breaking laws or..

get elected and break any law they like.

IlikedAUH2O on March 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I say, if they like jail so much lets make it a lifetime commitment.

JellyToast on March 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I am sick of paying $30 to $60 K a year to keep them locked up.

Or we spend millions to execute them.

I guess firing squads for three time felony offenders is out of the question..

IlikedAUH2O on March 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Speaking of criminals:
According to Drudge, it looks like Obama’s Arab Spring has taken another turn. His allies in Syria were the deployers of gas warfare. Which explains the WH suddenly going silent on the issue. Not those wackos McCaine and Graham though. They are doubling down.

pat on March 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM

bell curve

tom daschle concerned on March 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The video’s based on Jay-Z and Kanye West’s song …

Their art imitates thuggery and thuggery feeds off rap garbage they spew. Oh but it’s so good for dancing; it’s the beat, you know.

ExpressoBold on March 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Maybe somebody could write some raps about the 80% of NY grads that can’t red nor rit.

tom daschle concerned on March 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Hippity Hippity Hop Hold Ups!!!

canopfor on March 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM

… grads that can’t red nor rit.

You’re missing two letters “e”: itz reed nor rite. Lern 2 spel!

ExpressoBold on March 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM

tom daschle concerned on March 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Learning to red and rit is “acting white”. It’s more important to be “down for the shtruggle”.

slickwillie2001 on March 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I was comin home late one dark afternoon
A reporter stopped me for an interview
She said she’s heard stories and she’s heard fables
That I’m vicious on the mike and the turntables
This young reporter I did adore
So I rocked a vicious rhyme like I never did before
She said damn fly guy I’m in love with you
The Casanova legend must have been true
I said by the way baby what’s your name
She said I go by the name of Lois Lane
You could be my boyfiend you surely can
Just let me quit my boyfriend called Superman
I said he’s a fairy I do suppoose
Flyin through the air in pantyhose
He may be very sexy or even cute
But he looks like a sucker in a blue and red suit
I said you need a man who’s got finesse
And his whole name across his chest

Rapper’s Delight by Sugarhill Gang

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Solution to the gang problem….sniper….

HatfieldMcCoy on March 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Have you ever went over a friends house to eat
And the food just ain’t no good
I mean the macaroni’s soggy the peas are mushed
And the chicken tastes like wood
So you try to play it off like you think you can
By sayin’ that you are full
And then your friend says momma he’s just being polite
He ain’t finished uh uh that’s bull
So your heart starts pumpin’ and you think of a lie
And you say that you already ate
And your friend says man there’s plenty of food
So you pile some more on your plate
While the stinky food’s steamin’ your mind starts to dreamin’
Of the moment that it’s time to leave
And then you look at your plate and your chickens slowly rottin’
Into something that looks like cheese
Oh so you say that’s it I got to leave this place
I don’t care what these people think I’m just sittin’ here makin’ myself nauseous
With this ugly food that stinks
So you bust out the door while it’s still closed
Still sick from the food you ate
And then you run to the store for quick relief
From a bottle of Kaopectate
And then you call your friend two weeks later
To see how he has been
And he says I understand about the food
Baby bubbah but we’re still friends

Rapper’s Delight by Sugarhill Gang

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 25, 2013 at 3:45 AM

JellyToast on March 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I like the cut of your jib, son!

VelvetElvis on March 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I’ll bet if you checked the crime stats Jazz, you’d find that most crime goes unsolved. In fact I’ll be if you dug a bit deeper you’d discover that more murders are committed by the cops than by “criminals” under the sham guise of “justified shooting”. The same way the murdered Chris Dorn and many others. Of course, you won’t do that, because none of the media is interested in the real truth, not even HA.

woodNfish on March 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM