Trailer: Murph, the Protector

posted at 7:21 pm on March 22, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Most of you HotAir folks probably know about Lt. Michael P. Murphy (SEAL). This weekend, a full-length documentary on the man, posthumous recipient of the Medal of Honor in 2007, opens in a small number of theaters. Look up your state and see if there’s somewhere you can catch it. Your effort can help the film expand to more theaters.

Sonny Bunch has a great review of the film, here.

I attended the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) annual dinner this week, as I do every year with my friends from the Travis Manion Foundation. It is always a time to reflect on those who’ve given all to protect our freedoms. For my part, I remember and give thanks for the honorable, brave, too-short lives of 1LT Travis L. Manion (USMC) and Lt. Brendan Looney (SEAL) and all those I’ve met through working with families of the fallen at the Manion Foundation. I also give thanks for friends who’ve come home safely from several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, two of whom I’ll get to see for the first time in years this spring. This year, the night was even more poignant, as it fell on the 10-year anniversary of the war in Iraq, and on a day when we tragically lost 7 Marines in a training accident in Nevada. Today’s news from Quantico is equally tragic, and yet another reminder of the pressures and dangers our servicemen and women face every day. Sometimes it’s hard to know exactly how to reflect on those we’ve lost, and how to thank them for their service.

After you’ve seen the movie, consider supporting the Manion Foundation and TAPS if you’re interested in a way to actively support the memories and survivors of the fallen.

Comments

Missing the trailer…

airmonkey on March 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM

“Honor the fallen by remembering them, and challenging yourself to be worthy of the lives of they lived. Thank you to all of them.”

Every single day…

… Thank You!

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Weird, there’s a glitch, which is not showing half this post. Trying to fix!

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Murph, the Protector

I do not doubt that Lt. Michael P. Murphy was a stellar individual, but not he, nor anyone else, was protecting me by being in Afghanistan in 2005.

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I am so glad that some of these Medal of Honor winners are getting some of the recognition they deserve. I don’t think that most people could name one from the GWOT.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM

John Bernard: “Our concern as a people of a nation should be for the well-being of our War Fighters – FIRST! If Afghans, Iraqis, Iranians, Syrians, Libyans, Tunisians, Algerians, et al want to lessen their plight, they have the exact same opportunity as our Fore Fathers did; fight for it! We owe them nothing and certainly not our trust or the blood of our finest! The problem is, they don’t see their condition as a scourge or a plight; they see it as the spiritually enlightened condition of men who have given themselves to the doctrines of a man who claimed to have conversed with a ‘god’. Any man in this country who thinks we have anything to offer people who have given so much of themselves to so vile a religious construct as Islam is simply arrogant – and ignorant! Asking better men to sacrifice themselves for this arrogance is the height, width and depth of moral depravity! Demanding they continue in light of such absolute proof of the total and abysmal failure of such an arrogantly conceived battle plan, is simply criminal!”

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

There has always got to be one rotten banana in the bunch. Best just to seperate it from the rest and throw it out…

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Gotta see this. Thanks for the recommendation MKH!

WhatSlushfund on March 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Great man and a hero..he is a big reason why Marcus Luttrell survived all that..Need to def check out that when i can

sadsushi on March 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Murph, the Protector

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

If you’ll read the review, you’ll find that the film is actually less about Murph’s exploits in Afghanistan, and more about the creation of a man of honor who was willing to go to the mats for the less fortunate in many areas of his life. Thank you for taking this moment to completely ignore everything people like him have done for you. Do you think Afghanistan was the only place he served? Do you think his life was the only sacrifice he made for the life you live? If you need servicemen and women to have died in a conflict with which you are perfectly politically aligned in order to honor their memory or thank them for their service, then you are better fit for the shameful homecoming many in this country gave Vietnam vets. As for the rest of us, we will try to redeem that behavior by spending some time thanking men like Murphy.

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It is not even worth it. They think if people the men and women who serve just went home today everything would be fine. They don’t realize that just be volunteering to be there; they are protecting him. Murph volunteered and because he did- someone else didn’t have to.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM

One of my favorite sayings,”For those who have fought for it,freedom has a flavor the protected shall never know”.

creek on March 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I did considerable research on Lt. Murphy for a film project in 2008. He became a point of reference for aspects of character and heroism we were trying to understand better.

Here is the White House award ceremony for his medal, 10/22/07.

rrpjr on March 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

That’s a bit like saying Jimmy Doolittle wasn’t protecting America in a brave 1942 raid over Tokyo. Taking the fight to our enemy has benefits of helping reduce the enemy from taking the fight towards us.

viking01 on March 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Here is part 1 of an excellent rememberance of Lt. Murphy by the Media Research Center.

rrpjr on March 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Here is the trailer on youtube.

rrpjr on March 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

When I came back from Viet Nam (a couple of times), I ran into bunches of a$$holes like you.

You hippy-dippy fruits haven’t changed much in all these years.

Solaratov on March 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Yes, yes, and hell yes!!!

TXUS on March 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I think you guys misunderstand VorDaj. I can’t really speak for him but it seems to me his problem is with our misguided foreign policy in being in Afghanistan rather than with men like Mike Murphy.

I agree with him. If that offends you, tough.

Cleombrotus on March 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

viking01 on March 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM

But the Japanese attacked America when they bombed Pearl Harbor. It’s not like a terrorist receiving safe haven in Afghanistan ever attacked America.

steebo77 on March 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I agree with him. If that offends you, tough.

Cleombrotus on March 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I don’t think I misunderstand him or you at all. My husband served 21 years some of them in Afghanistan until he retired February 1st of this year. He knows what he was there for, and since he was in the best position to know; I’ll take his word for it over yours and Vordaj. If that offends you and Vordaj from your seated position in comfort behind a computer, tough!

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Here’s the deal…

VorDaj, you’re an a**hole. If you haven’t done so, perhaps you should read the book “Lone Survivor” by Marcus Luttrell, one of Murphy’s team mates during the ill-fated mission in Afghanistan.

What you will LEARN from the book is that during the firefight, where an large force of Taliban fighters were engaged against our four SEALs, the team couldn’t establish radio communications with friendly elements, so Murphy STEPPED INTO THE OPEN from cover and made a sat-phone call to the command.

He was hit by small arms fire several times, but STAYED on the phone long enough to make sure the call was completed. For that effort, he paid with his life.

Have I mentioned you’re an a**hole?

grumpy_old_soldier on March 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Hero.

Ellis on March 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

grumpy_old_soldier on March 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Vordaj doesn’t care about that. He prefaced his comment by saying that Michael Murphy was a “stellar individual.” He just wants us to know that he objects to the whole foreign policy of Afghanistan by stamping his feet and sucking his teeth and saying but “Murph wasn’t fighting for me.”

It’s idiot logic. How long do they think America would last if we didn’t have a standing trained military? If we didn’t have man and women who volunteered on a regular basis who do these people think would end up having to serve. Just by being there these people “protect” them. And then when they go above and beyond like Murphy did; it is amazing to behold and we should all stand in awe of these type of men and women.. not gripe about what sent them there in the firs place.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Went to see the film this evening.

Sad. Funny. Ultimately Inspiring. If you want to learn about a real hero. If you need motivation to achieve a goal. If you want an example of the kind of person we should all aspire to be go see this film. Hooyah Lt. Murphy.

Mr. Joshua on March 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

From an old vet….Thanks to those who serve…I had prayed that we would have gotten you a better commander in chief but we suffered through carter and clinton and you will endure the clusterfark that you have now…….

crosshugger on March 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I Love Mary Katherine Ham

williamg on March 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Murph…….part of the legacy of lost American treasures that politicians squandered in a war they had no intention of going in and winning.

Next time lets send the lousy pieces of ——- that don’t want to win the war, instead of the heroes like Murph.

God help our warriors and their families.

PappyD61 on March 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Seems like some non-interventionist, defense cutting Paulbots have infested this thread honoring the fallen American Patriot Heroes of Op. Redwing.

Tripwhipper on March 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM

What makes me sad, is that a quality manly man was cut down trying to serve our country while these mostly worthless politicians are destroying us.

arnold ziffel on March 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

That was some collection of straw men and red herrings that you knocked down there. I suppose some kind of congratulations are in order.

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I agree with him. If that offends you, tough.

Cleombrotus on March 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Ah, someone who can think for himself, a rarer and rarer breed here abouts, rather than another sheeple who thinks no further than cheering, and hating, with the largest crowd, things that were once foreign to America and out of place in it.

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I agree with him. If that offends you, tough.

Cleombrotus on March 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

If they misunderstood me, it almost had to be willful as I spoke very clearly. But then just as some like so much to play the Race Card, some like so much to play the Patriotism Card and for pretty much the same motivation and pretty much the same validity.

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Do a search on “ltc davis afghanistan armed forces journal” to see the article where LTC Daniel L. Davis (who will almost certainly not make full bird now) recently laid bear some of the monumental lies of our army (and Marine) generals about their Operation Enduring Insanity/Trillion Dollar Bridge to Nowhere in Afcrapistan. They are even outdoing Baghdad Bob and should all be in Leavenworth for life for getting so many of their own troops killed and limbless for their lies. Not to mention the pushing a trillion dollar tab for all this.

“What I saw bore no resemblance to rosy official statements by U.S. military leaders about conditions on the ground.” (LTC Davis)

the newest report on Afghanistan embraced the Afghan National Security Force (ANSF) as “professional and effective.”

This by itself tops all of Baghdad Bob’s mendacity combined.

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Truth, lies and Afghanistan
How military leaders have let us down
By LT. COL. DANIEL L. DAVIS

I spent last year in Afghanistan, visiting and talking with U.S. troops and their Afghan partners. My duties with the Army’s Rapid Equipping Force took me into every significant area where our soldiers engage the enemy. Over the course of 12 months, I covered more than 9,000 miles and talked, traveled and patrolled with troops in Kandahar, Kunar, Ghazni, Khost, Paktika, Kunduz, Balkh, Nangarhar and other provinces.

Entering this deployment, I was sincerely hoping to learn that the claims were true: that conditions in Afghanistan were improving, that the local government and military were progressing toward self-sufficiency. I did not need to witness dramatic improvements to be reassured, but merely hoped to see evidence of positive trends, to see companies or battalions produce even minimal but sustainable progress.

Instead, I witnessed the absence of success on virtually every level.

“We” have now been in Afcrapistan for 11 1/2 years (granted that is not nearly the 100 years that McCain and company want) and the 7th century troglodytes their generals keep call their “Partners In Peace” have been shooting our troops in the back at an increasing rate. Clearly something has gone very wrong and anyone who cares about the troops at all should at least be able to realize that much.

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Thank You for that.

My reply to that pinhead would have gotten me banned.

Decency is vanishing so quickly.

FlaMurph on March 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I agree with him. If that offends you, tough.

Cleombrotus on March 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Yeah, that’s in the same way despicable Harry Reid used the Artillery accident tragedy this week to promote his Jester sequester gambit. Exploit a tragedy to try and prove you point.

Stay classy my friends, you’re in good company.

FlaMurph on March 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Stay classy my friends, you’re in good company.

FlaMurph on March 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Leftists…libertarians….

Same crap.

Solaratov on March 23, 2013 at 3:44 AM

RIP Murph.

All of you who served or are serving.
All of you who were wounded.
All of you who carry the burden of memory and guilt.
All of you who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Thank you. Sincerely and with all my heart.
You are never forgotten.
Never.

Marcus Traianus on March 23, 2013 at 6:11 AM

VorDaj, suck it up dude/dudette?. Ron Paul lost, get over it. Most of us realize the perils of isolationism in current times. It didn’t suit us prior to WW2 and thank goodness we learned from that lesson. I have scores of friends and clients that have been over in the sand box on multiple deployments and not ONCE have they told me they felt like it was for naught. The first step to your recovery will be the realization that there are organized forces that would like nothing more than to see this country fall from it’s perch. Once you recognize that fact, you’ll come to understand the reasons for us sending our brave men and women into harms way. Now if we would just be allowed to fight our enemies into oblivion or submission (whichever comes first), we’d be able to get our soldiers back home.

rayvet on March 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Long Island boy. Made us all proud.

I play gigs at a local brewery where they had a high end vintage brewed and bottled for him. I tear up every time I walk past the fridge near the entrance. You can see the label with him in country with full gear on.

Rip

blatantblue on March 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on March 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Well put.

I’ll just add this quote, not necessarily in response to VorDaj:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

GWB on March 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I watched a couple of the Bush MOH presentations and he couldn’t flip those pages fast enough.

And Obama? I don’t know it seemed like he was okay giving the widow a hug but seemed ready to get her off the stage.

It looks like the whole speaking part of the ceremony only takes about 15 minutes.

Is that the norm that the President reads for every MOH winner? Or do they pick and choose?

PappyD61 on March 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Oooh so you read an article and that makes you an expert on Afghanistan? And you call us sheeple which I find very funny. I prefer to talk to the people in person who were actually over there.

If you want to talk about the fact that our government doesn’t play to win- sure. If you want to talk about policy- sure. That belongs on ANOTHER THREAD! You don’t make it personal about the men and women serving and you did by saying this:

not he, nor anyone else, was protecting me by being in Afghanistan in 2005.

In that you are WRONG! Even if you don’t agree with Aghanistan- by virtue of signing up these men and women protect you. How long do you think that America would last if we didn’t have a trained military? And because people like Michael Murphy sign up and volunteer- others don’t have to. For that alone, you should just shut your political yap and say “thank you.”

melle1228 on March 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Claiming to love peace and life, they are hurting the vulnerable and showing ignorance of the nature of the ultimate sacrifice made by those a war takes.

The same people who say that politics should end at water’s edge for a united foreign policy, are often silent about the treatment of combat veterans. This doesn’t apply solely to the outrageous reception given to Viet Nam era veterans.

One would wish that they could stifle their opinions at grave’s edge.

First, the painful impact of their remarks on the loved ones is disproportionate to any positives in educational goals or effective political discourse.

Second, the lack of civility toward the decorum owed to the dead demonstrates a real lack of appreciation for the precious nature of life and the infinite finality of its end.

IlikedAUH2O on March 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Thank you for bring the movie to my attention. It should be shown in every school in the country. Lt Michael Murphy is an example that all young people should look to as a roll model. The movie is about doing the right things, courage, sacrifice and love.

I was happy to not be the only one in the movie several family’s showed up with there younger (10- 12)

HooYah Michael Murphy!!