posted at 4:01 pm on March 22, 2013 by Allahpundit

Reassurance for social conservatives after a week of tension, or newfound cause for despair among libertarians after a week of encouragement? Or both?

In fairness, I think he’s talking more about tone here than trying to lay down message discipline on policy. How many Republicans famous for emphasizing traditional values qualify as recurring guests on both Jon Stewart’s show and “Red Eye”?

“When someone asks me ‘Are you going to cut off funding for Rob Portman?’ I think it’s just ridiculous,” Priebus told a group of reporters Friday during a briefing at National Review’s Washington, D.C., office. “He’s a good Republican. I think it’s also normal and decent to still support a person that you agree with on 99 percent of the issues.”

But Priebus says his support of Portman doesn’t signal a policy shift within the party’s platform. “Yes, we’re still a pro-life party. Yes, we still defend our platform on marriage,” he said. He emphasized, however, that Republicans must also sound “reasonable” to voters who disagree.

Priebus cited former governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas as an example of someone who could be “a model for a lot of people in our party” in terms of discussing issues like marriage and abortion. “I always tell people: Listen to Governor Mike Huckabee,” he said. “I don’t know anyone that talks about them any better.”

Socially conservative on policy but moderate in tone? Sounds like a man who might have a future in 2016. How about it, Huck?

Asked in a Newsmax TV interview if he is considering another White House run, Huckabee declares: “Yeah, I’m not ruling it out at this point.

“I’m not sitting around having meetings with the strategic team, but it’s something I will certainly look at and I’m talking to some people just to determine whether it’s a kamikaze raid or whether it has potential and possibility.”

Does it? The idea of the GOP nominating a guy who’s conservative on social issues and moderate on fiscal questions is the opposite of the conventional wisdom on where the party’s headed, which is one reason why you’re seeing so many “better take Rand Paul seriously” articles in political media lately. But I dunno: If it’s true, and it probably is, that most of the major 2016 candidates will be a bit more liberal on gay marriage than they are now, there’ll be an appetite among social cons for a candidate who holds the line on values — especially if the Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage before the next election. If they unify behind Huckabee, that alone makes him a serious contender in a crowded field. At the very least, consolidating social conservative support would put Huck in the thick of things for the VP slot if he ends up losing the nomination. Is there enough room for him and Santorum in the field, though? Hard for me to believe that evangelical leaders will want both of them running when they’ll be eager to have a unified bloc behind one or the other from the beginning in Iowa. My gut says Huckabee’s the more viable of the two, partly because of the difference in tone Priebus describes, partly because he’s built up name recognition in the wider culture that I suspect Santorum hasn’t, and partly because Santorum’s failure to capitalize on the base’s anti-Romney sentiment last year suggests he won’t be able to do so against a stronger candidate. Either way, I sure hope at least one of them runs, just because the punch-ups with Rand Paul at the debates would be spectacular theater.

Speaking of tone, here’s an ad from an outside group narrated by Huck that ran late last year. His pal Jon gave him crap for it on “The Daily Show” a few weeks later.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That ad was the first thing that came to mind. Fire and brimstone.

John the Libertarian on March 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

STFU.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Sorry, this guys 15 minutes of fame are OVER! Don’t want to hear about him or his beliefs.

FloridaBill on March 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Great, 2016 is gonna hurt worse than 2012.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Well, Im actually not up for another “Compassionate Conservative”, but if I have to choose, Ill take Huckabee over Santorum any day.

Valkyriepundit on March 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Does Reince remember Huck’s emboldening of Todd Akin?

steebo77 on March 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

RNC chief: Mike Huckabee’s a “model” for :

Guitar Strumming Idiots

ToddPA on March 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Valkyriepundit on March 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Neither are a good model for most socons, because most socons I know are just as much fiscal cons as they are socons. Neither Huckabee or Santorum are models of fiscal sanity in my view. Santorum was wrapped up in the unions and voted for Bush’s programs and Huckabee Arkansas record left much to be desired.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I guess I find Mike Huckabee slightly less grating than Rick Santorum.

But that’s kinda like comparing an ingrown fingernail to an ingrown toenail.

Jeddite on March 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I guess I find Mike Huckabee slightly less grating than Rick Santorum.

But that’s kinda like comparingcontrasting an ingrown fingernail to an ingrown toenail.

Jeddite on March 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Huckaliar is the most despicable, dishonest and disingenuous person alive that calls themselves a “Republican” – which is NOT by ANY measure.

Let’s take his program that put convicted rapists and murderer back out on the streets to commit rape and murder again. NOT conservaite.

williamg on March 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The word “Model” should never be used in reference to Mike Huckabee.

N.E.V.E.R.

portlandon on March 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Mr. Huckabee’s bestselling diet tome: Quit Digging Your Grave with a Knife and Fork, deserves a sequel: Fatso Fat? So!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Does Reince remember Huck’s emboldening of Todd Akin?

steebo77 on March 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Pesky details…

Myron Falwell on March 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The only place Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum belong to is a brimstone-filled frying pan in the darkest, hottest pit of Hell.

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Jesus Christ

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I’m not a Huck fan, but I’ll give the guy his props. He is a very clever wordsmith when it comes to communicating potentially divisive social issues. FWIW, I agree with Preibus here.

aquaviva on March 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Yet another in a long list of reasons that it’s time for a new party. The neo-Whig party is walking dead.

FloatingRock on March 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Thank you, Reince Priebus! I feel so much better now about filling your prepaid RNC envelope with an “eff you!” note and half pound of dead weight…

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

All these names being discussed and considered show me a political party that’s totally adrift, one that doesn’t know what it wants or who comprises the pillars of its base. We’re not even fives months from the last election, and all these jokers seem to be scrambling to find someone who wants the job come the election of 2016.

I look at all the current big players, and those considered ‘potential’ for next time, and see disunity with too many flailing egos. McCain comes first to mind: his calling of fellow Republicans wacko birds; his squishiness in favoring amnesty; his thinking it’s time for Obama to intervene (read: to to war) in Syria. And all the other things I forget, and those who think just like him.

Unless the RNC gets its act together fast, I can see them in 2014 losing seats in the Senate, the whole House, and then finally losing to Hillary in 2016.

Liam on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I think people actually should take a BIG DEEP BREATH here and listen for a moment to the point Priebus is making — oddly (or tellingly) Allahpundit studiously ignored it.

I want to stipulate that I think Huckabee is a turd. Never liked him (big government socon, pretty much the worst kind of “conservative” in my book), and I liked him even less after he was one of the few voices supporting Todd Akin (and one the ones that was most prominent in persuading him to stay in the race). So he can go jump off a bridge.

But. But. Priebus is right about his narrow point: for a very socially conservative guy, Mike Huckabee is downright incredibly impressive in his ability to discuss those issues without freaking non-religious cons out. He doesn’t startle the horses. He is the polar opposite of someone like Rick Santorum, who comes across as deeply creepy and scolding and officious – a busybody. Meanwhile Huck makes all that seem quite nonthreatening.

It’s a skill, and a skill that socons (of whom there are many around here) ought to study and try to imitate.

Esoteric on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

from the GOP autopsy report:

10. Republican leaders should participate in and actively prepare for interviews with The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, MTV, and magazines such as People, UsWeekly, etc., as well as radio stations that are popular with the youth demographic.

This idea is as stupid as having George S. moderating a debate. Reince Priebus needs to be fired soon. Clueless and harmful. Why would you seek out situations rigged for you to fail?

sauldalinsky on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No. Just no.

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I wanted Steele out as RNC chairman. But now I want Priebus out. He has to be about the most unpleasant person in the GOP.

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Esoteric on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Exactly. You made the point -and did a far better job – that I was trying to make a few posts above.

aquaviva on March 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Your response makes me tend to think that YOU are the one who is stupid. Or rather, you’re living in a world 50 years out of date, where politicians are supposed to be “above” that sort of demotic nonsense. Guess what? Those sorts of media hits are basically ALL that Obama did during the campaign. And guess why? BECAUSE THEY WORK. *That* is how you reach low-information voters (and sorry, dismissing those sorts of voters as “not worth pandering to” is retarded: their vote is worth the same amount as yours, and there are way more of them than there are of you).

Our media strategy was bad precisely because it dismissed the importance of the “low-brow” cultural appeal, when in the present era that’s actually FAR, FAR MORE IMPORTANT AND VALUABLE than good coverage from news channels, wonky political blogs, talk radio, or old media. The fact that you sit around harrumphing just means that it’s you — and not the authors of the RNC’s autopsy report — who is the dinosaur.

I dunno, maybe you think going extinct is okay, a matter of personal pride. Me? I think it’s worth adapting our media strategy to fit the times, regardless of your cries about ‘dignity’

Esoteric on March 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Huckabee is a socially conservative Bloomberg. Except Bloomberg is less of a statist.

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Okay, methinks we might need to winnow the potential number of candidates down some, BEFORE 2016.

I mean, we’re talking, Rand, Rubio, Jindal, Cruz, Christie, Jeb, Santorum, Huckabee, and there will probably be a couple others when its all said and done.

Seriously, we could knock out Christie, Jeb, Santorum, and Huckabee, and I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep.

WolvenOne on March 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’m going to be crude, but this is the problem with our candidate. Do we dig around in the toilet to retrieve soiled toilet paper to use it again? It’s the same with used candidates.
Huckabee needs to stick to what he knows. Eating.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Hey RNC,

why don’t you resurrect HEE HAW!!!!

I’m a pickin…and I’m a grinnin….

Gotta admit, Buck Owens red white and blue guitar was
pretty patriotic….

..and Mary Ann Rogers (Kenny’s wife) was smoking hot,
of course that was 35 years ago)

ToddPA on March 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

WolvenOne on March 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Exactly. Would vote for any of the first four. Staying home for any of the second four.

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Happy warrior, well-reasoned, and someone with a religious background who doesn’t need to rely on his religiosity to justify a socially conservative policy to a secular audience. Bingo. Huckabee’s the ticket in terms of style.

Stoic Patriot on March 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

The basis of all freedom is the right to be let alone.

Speakup on March 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Huckabee declares: “Yeah, I’m not ruling it out at this point.

Well I’m ruling out voting for the Huckster. I’ll go back to voting libertarian.

rbj on March 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

The first two sold you down the river on amnesty. The last two, Cruz/Jindal, holding back, for now.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I’m a couple blocks from where a guy Huckabee pardoned killed police officers.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Stoic Patriot on March 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

He is alright. I mean he is likable; I will give him that, but horrible in terms of fiscal cred. No more compassionate conservative crap.. Just my take– You can not out spend a Democrat.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I don’t think so. I’m cynical enough that I think that they’re just throwing crap out there, knowing that it will never stick. If it does stick. Well, then, it doesn’t really matter because we’re screwed (if it comes with citizenship anyway).

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Just my take– You can not out spend a Democrat.

Nope. Not as long as they have unfettered access to the public treasury and are able to blithely issue unlimited IOUs on behalf of future generations.

hawkeye54 on March 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Mike Huckabee would have been a much better candidate then Santorum, that’s true because Santorum is so clumsy, and Huckabee has a reassuring way about him that almost would make the voter forget his 1 extreme position that is not going to pass muster with the voters. Almost.

What made this clear as day that Huckabee wouldn’t cut it is, just when I was thinking we had a perfect coalition of evangelicals and Tea Partiers and libertarian leaners and establimentarians, Huckabee came out all in force in support of “rape is a woman’s punishment” (or whatever) Todd Akin.

The evangelicals MUST drop that no exceptions for rape position because it simply does not fly.

I think abortion is tough enough for us, but at least drop that crazy no exceptions notion because close to 80% of the electorate, including probably a majority of Republicans, are simply repulsed by that position. Hence Akin and Mourdach lost in very red states. Some say it was their inarticulateness. Not even. It didn’t help that both of them were idiots, but it simply shined a bright light on their despised position. Evangelicals should consider figuring out how to drop that no exceptions position. Rape makes up less than 1% of abortions. Pick your battles. Come on Huckabee.

anotherJoe on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Easy to make friends when you don’t stand for anything.

Splashman on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Besser has no problem with rewarding lawbreakers.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Mike Huckabee’s a “model” for how Republicans can turn themselves into RINO losers.

landlines on March 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Seriously, the Test of Fire ad was one of the most inspired of last campaign season. And his Chick-Fil-A, erm, “Hucksterism” was populism heaven! He could probably bass-strum well enough to keep up with the Oak Ridge Boys, if not Parliament/Funkadelic.

If I haven’t made it clear, I kinda like Grampa Chipmunk Cheeks. He really is one of the few eye-twinklingly cheerful social conservative warriors who will never become president.

That is all.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Besser has no problem with rewarding lawbreakers.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Exactly. You nailed my position. Bravo.

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

For that he is a model exemplar.

hawkeye54 on March 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

anotherJoe on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

First off you guys make such a big deal about the rape excpetion. In terms of abortions it is a very low number. It is used by prochoice advocates as a way to demonize prolifers as heartless when the opposite is true. And it isn’t even really necessary since Plan B is available over the counter. So the 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 week rape abortion should be almost nill..

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Besser has no problem with rewarding lawbreakers.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Exactly. You nailed my position. Bravo.

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Thank you.

RovesChins on March 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

The thing to do on social issues is say you aren’t a big moral crusader but recognize that society degenerates without a moral foundation and promise to appoint a morality czar. Then you kinda complain that your morality czar ia going to far and finally replace him with someone who only seems moderate compared to the first guy. You get to remove yourself from the social issue controversies with this plan.

Buddahpundit on March 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

from the GOP autopsy report:

sauldalinsky on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Because that’s where low-info voters get their information, and the GOP has to engage them, too.

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Huckster was/is a pastor so he should have good speaking skills. But that ad was over the top and too long to reach anyone.

If you want to reach younger voters on right to life, ads should run on Jon Stewart, MTV, in US Weekly. No more preaching to the choir.

Show football stadiums filled with cheering fans…fading to emptiness.
Show concert halls filled with screaming fangirls…fading to emptiness.
Show Jon Stewart’s laughing studio audience…fading to emptiness.

Then have Huckster’s voiceover…”Every year over 1,000,000 babies are aborted. How many would have become football/music/comedy fans? We’ll never know.

monalisa on March 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

i don’t want to brag too much, but i saw the first few minutes of Huck on the Sat after the election. he was practically giggling.

I posted that on HA at the time…and I said he was in for 2016.

Aside from being a smarmy pol, I can’t even remember why i don’t like him. I’m sure that he would agree with most of my positions…or at least until he talks to the next person in line.

r keller on March 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

But that’s his point, that it’s used by the Left as a bludgeon against us no matter how low the number. And a conservative Republican can’t really point to Plan B as an alternative, can they?

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

ROFL…AKIN was huckabee’s project. that worked out well….

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Reince doesn’t get out much, does he…?

Dr. Benjamin Carson

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Dude the left says we want to ban tampons. The left is going to make up crap. It’s not like everything has been done on abortion and the socons just can’t be happy with has been done. NOTHING has been done. In fact, we are still fricking fighting not to pay for others abortion. But instead of coming up with a compromise illegalize everything but for the rape and incest exception; you guys do nothing and coddle to the Dems in fear. You would be surprised how much pro-lifers would compromise if we felt there was movement, but we don’t see anything. Instead we see a bunch of people ignoring the Dems extremist positions(full term babies spines being snipped) and our OWN SIDE bitc&ing about ours..

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

sauldalinsky on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

The problem is, that conservatives have to win over the people who use these sorts of venues as their main access to news. All of the above venues will be talking about the conservative candidates whether or not they participate or not. I know people who believe they actually heard Palin saying “I can see Russia from my house.” even though she never actually said it, as we here all know. It will NOT do for conservatives to send in an unknown that SNL can set the narrative about. And then refuse to engage them on their own turf. The conservative candidate had better set the narrative for him/her self. Much like Rubio did with the water bottle meme. Now everyone smiles when he brings one out and the liberals don’t even remember why he does it because he disarmed that bomb immediately after the media set it. Conservatives need a candidate that can do that if they want to be successful against the leftists. Hopefully the conservative candidate who most successfully does this will be an actual conservative and not just a more conservative than Ted Turner, conservative.

Lily on March 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

SO? the answer is simply stop being a hypocrite about it. If abortion is wrong due to sex selection, if it is wrong because the mother just doesn’t feel like raising a kid, if abortion is the wrong way to handle a bady who is a product of cheating, pre martial sex. and that if life is precious then abortion is also wrong to handle a rape or incest. Its not the babies fault how it was made.

But if that is your position then you damn well better be preapred to fund adoptions and orphanages and help the mother out with prenatal care and delivery expenses.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

If Lincoln were alive today, he look Priebus in the eye and ask, “What have you done to my Party?”.

Then he’d b*tch slap him.

madmonkphotog on March 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

People and Us Weekly are where the nonpartisan LoFos are. It’s fine to go there, but expensive and not particularly cost effective as they don’t vote at a high rate.

Stewart and Colbert cater specifically to liberal LoFos and are the Democrat Party’s two leading promoters. That the RNC doesn’t have a clue about this basic distinction is telling. Conservatives will lose when they go on Stewart/Colbert because that game is rigged.

sauldalinsky on March 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

HuckChuck?

If that’s what the RNC Chairman thinks, he’s a fool.

Color the Republican Party dead. Like the Whigs, only less interesting.

CatoRenasci on March 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

saying abortions is ok in rape and incest is like saying its ok to have slaves in the south in 1860. either murder is wrong or it isn’t. either slavery is wrong or it isn’t.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Huckabee, what a POS. While governor he pardoned more murders, rapists and armed robbers than all of his 3 predecessors. More than all 7 surrounding states. Remember Maurice Clemmons that murdered 4 police officers in Lakewood, WA. He had been serving 95 years for a violent rape. Just sent The Huck a note about “finding GOD!” and he was paroled. Wayne Dumond, a convicted rapist was paroled by The Huck and went on to rape and murder 2 women. The Huck was schmuck for any con saying “they found GOD!”

Way too much baggage for this guy to be anything except unemployed!

mike3121 on March 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Esoteric on March 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The problem is that some of those venues are particularly Democrat-friendly. It’s easy for a Democrat to engage with the pop culture by going on a show where they will get a friendly reception. But if a Republican goes on the same show, they’re not necessarily going to be received the same way.

J.S.K. on March 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

But the Left isn’t making anything up when they say, hey, some Republicans want to ban abortions in all cases (except when the health of the mother is threatened). That’s true, isn’t it? And, the bottom line is the majority simply doesn’t share that view, which makes that position “extreme”.

By the way, I am pro-life, and don’t agree with ending a baby’s life due to the circumstances surrounding their conception. But politically, not including a rape exception is problematic. Yes, ideally, conservatives would be able to turn the tables on Dems and ask why they support partial birth abortion, or why they’ve been so silent on the horrors perpetuated by Gosnell> But that doesn’t happen…meanwhile, the cons are painted as whack a doodles.

It’s true that there’s not been much movement on it, even when the GOP has had power, so the question becomes why not focus on stuff that the public would be more with us on?

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Rape babies aren’t real babies. Duh.

steebo77 on March 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Esoteric on March 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Heh. The RNC says magazines and radio are a good way to reach the “youth demographic”… and I’m 50 years out of date for pointing out the obvious faults with that.

sauldalinsky on March 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Because to some of those compromising on this issue is abhorrent to us. And the GOP wants us to “compromise” while they do nothing to compromise on.. That is the problem. They aren’t saying “look prolifers this is all we can do legislatively, you’re going to have to give a little.” They are saying “suck it proflifers, we aren’t doing ANYTHING. Oh and yeah those Dems are killing viable babies but we aren’t going to make any effort to change the public narrative.”

I don’t understand why some of you can’t understand why we don’t want to vote for these fool. If they can’t see the frickin narrative that the Dems are extreme on this. If they can’t make the link between Gosnell and Obama and Pelosi; then how are they going to campaign effectively on other issues? And if they sell pro-lifers ( a large part of their base) out; why don’t you think they won’t continue to sell out the rest of you?

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Not worth much but I admire you.

IlikedAUH2O on March 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I imagine the Dem party had internal debates about ending slavery in the 1800′s as well, and there was a large fraction that said they just had to shut up about it because the majority did not support ending slavery.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

…Phuck Huck…Rinsed Peni$

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Five star remarks on two consecutive days.

IlikedAUH2O on March 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

As governor, Huckabee did not have the authority to pardon criminals. He could make recommendations to a board which granted pardons, but he himself did not retain that power. You can say his recommendations were stupid (and there’s at least 2 cases where that is legit), but it’s wrong to say that he actually exercised authority to let anyone go.

Stoic Patriot on March 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

He lessened sentences allowing them to be pardoned. Without him they were not eligible.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

And the board did whatever he wanted. He let rapists and killers lose to rape children and murder cops.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I thought this was the opening of that series Spartacus on Starz.

They have found whole piles of graves from abortion and infanticide in Roman digs.

IlikedAUH2O on March 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I’ll say it right now: if Huckabee or another social conservative like Rick Santorum wins the GOP nomination in 2016, I sit out. Or vote libertarian. But there’s no way in hell I vote for a big govt socon.

DRayRaven on March 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

RNC chief: Mike Huckabee’s a “model” for how Republicans should talk about social issues…

I don’t consider preacher-man Huckabee a “model” as a politician for talking about anything.

Huckabee would lose big time to Hillary in 2016. This country will not elect a preacher-man as President. Huckabee is a GOP version of William Jennings Bryan. WJB was nominated three times and lost every.

farsighted on March 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

DRayRaven on March 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I don’t think you have a worry..:)

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Liam on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don’t know if anyone can win in 2016 against the Obama and Clinton machine together. After the GOP is named if there is ANY infighting she has it walking away and the people with the crosses, pot and calculator can blame each other for eight years.

KBird on March 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

But politically, not including a rape exception is problematic.
changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

no and this is where moderate gop fails. It is PROBLEMATIC to include a rape and incest exception. because it opens the pro-life movement up to calls of being a hypocrite. If it is ok to kill a baby due to rape that wht isn’t is ok to kill a baby because you wanted a boy instead of a girl. You have no moral nor ideologal stand once you agree in principle to exceptions with abortions. And then its simply a matter of pushing the expections. If its ok in rape and incest then its ok in the first day or first trimester then its pushed to the second trimester and then late term abortions.

Politically it is better to not be a seething hypocrite on major policy issues. this is why the GOPe continues to lose elections. they say dont do something to get elected and allow their theirselves, their friends and/or politcal allies to do the thing they say is bad.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

true. Its human nature to not want to rock the boat. However true leaders true great leaders are the very ones that rock the boat and make the change for the right moral ethical reasons.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Here’s my position, as of now: the next GOP nominee will be a fiscal AND social con, or Reince Preibus, and the rest of the party for that matter, can get stuffed.

Kensington on March 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Kensington on March 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

IMO you really can’t be a fiscal conservative without being a social conservative. Since liberal social policies are the very things that push the increase in government spending.

fiscal conservatives who aren’t social conservatives are just liberals wanting a tax break.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I agree. And the funny thing is is we keep hearing how toxic the abortion issue has suddenly become. How it is sooo passe. We should just give it up for the sake of the party and that this issue is a bygone of yesterday’s politics, but if you look at gallup- the issue hasn’t changed much in 30 years except that LESS people now think it should be legal in ANY circumstances and MORE think it should be legal in few.. So I imagine that LIV would be appalled to actually learn how extreme the Dems are when it comes to snipping full term babies spines.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

KBird on March 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

oh BS. liberal polices always fail. they don’t work. after another 4 years of this crappy economy people will be fed up with liberals. They were fed up with liberals in 2012 but they only had a choice of 2 liberals on NOV.

As long as the GOP candidate is conservative they win going away. No promises if the GOPE again puts up a liberla /moderate like 2012.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Quick ???..Can you name this “conservative” who can win??..:)

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

right but it takes a person that really is prolife to push back on the dems and show how sick and extreme they are. If you are just saying you are pro-life to get the pro-life vote then when push comes to shove you side with the dems POV because you really aren’t pro-life and “compromise” to get past the issue.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Quick ???..Can you name this “conservative” who can win??..:)

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

there are several Cruz, Palin, Rand, maybe Walker I’m sure over the next 3 years more will step up and take the spotlight.

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Okay..:)

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Another quick ???..Are there any circumstances where you feel abortion is “justifiable”??..:)

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Of course.. When the life of the mother is in jeopardy, but most people would be shocked to know that in most states that was legal before Roe v. Wade anyways..

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Huckabee is an ahole. Next article…

slickwillie2001 on March 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

So the idiot that gave us Todd Akin is a model for… my brain hurts just thinking about that.

What Mike Huckabee would be is a pro-life democrat if there were such a thing anymore.

bannor on March 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I don’t see how anyone could’ve sat through the last cycle and saw what happened with Akin, then Mourdock, and still say what you did. They weren’t “seething hypocrites”, I guess…look where it got them.

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

unseen on March 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

unseen..I just wanted to repeat the question..Maybe you missed it the first time..:)

Dire Straits on March 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM

What Priebus is saying is the republican party is NOT LIMITED GOVERNMENT CONSERVATIVE……it’s just “republican” (and in the Bush era since 1989 this has meant the gop is just like the Democrat party, only they whine and then cave).

But Priebus says his support of Portman doesn’t signal a policy shift within the party’s platform. “Yes (FOR NOW), we’re still a pro-life party. Yes, we still defend our platform on marriage (FOR NOW),” he said. He emphasized, however, that Republicans must also sound “reasonable” to voters who disagree.

Sorry, Gomer Huckleberry is a BIG GOV SOLUTIONS guy, and he LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOVES him some illegal alien amnesty.

Not a freaking chance on God’s green earth I’d ever vote for him.

PappyD61 on March 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

That’s not true. Pro-life legislation has been advanced across the country, but the bottom line remains that unless Roe is overturned abortion will remain legal, and you’ll still have about 50% of the country very much in favor of it. That is the reality they have to operate in.

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

No, Akin was an idiot and not indicative of a prolifer. He bumbled the whole question. Most people who are prolife for more than two seconds can answer that question better than he can. Again candidates that are ineffectual and can’t link how extremist the Dems position actually is. Akin got tarred and feathered not because of his pro-life position, but because he was ignorant of science and the Dems could run that soundbite over and over again.

You know how I answer the rape question, run an actual rape survivor- how about that? Run an actual woman who has been victimized by abortion- who bought the memo that abortion was getting a mole removed but had to have years of counseling because it wasn’t. Let’s see the Dem pull the “war on women” crap on them.

melle1228 on March 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM