Netanyahu apologizes to Erdogan for Turkish deaths during 2010 raid on Gaza flotilla

posted at 3:21 pm on March 22, 2013 by Allahpundit

You can thank Obama for this. Fresh off his visits to Theodore Herzl’s tomb and Yad Vashem, he decided to broker a detente between Netanyahu and a guy who told a UN conference less than a month ago that Zionism is a crime against humanity. But it’s okay: Erdogan later walked back the charge by saying he meant Zionism is a crime against humanity only vis-a-vis Gaza.

So, obviously, it’s apology time for Bibi. Let the healing begin:

In a dramatic development that occurred just as US President Barack Obama was leaving the country, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu spoke with Turkey’s Tayyip Erdogan for the first time since the Israeli prime minister took power in 2009.

Netanyahu voiced regret for the loss of life in the 2010 Mavi Marmara incident, apologizing for any mistakes that led to the death of nine Turkish activists. Breaking a three-year deadlock, the two agreed to normalize relations.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu expressed an apology to the Turkish people for any error that may have led to the loss of life, and agreed to complete the agreement for compensation,” the statement said.

The conversation was facilitated by US President Barack Obama, taking place during Obama’s prolonged meeting with Netanyahu on Friday afternoon.

According to Erdogan’s office, he accepted the apology and told Netanyahu that “he valued centuries-long strong friendship and cooperation between the Turkish and Jewish nations.” Incidentally, the UN’s report on the 2010 flotilla raid is notable for siding mainly with Israel. There’s criticism of the IDF for using unreasonable force, but it acknowledges Israel’s right to blockade Gaza, suggests that the Turkish organizers of the flotilla had violent intentions, and notes that Israeli troops were attacked as they boarded the ship. Oh, and it also accused the Turkish government of not doing enough to convince the organizers to avoid a confrontation with the IDF. But of course, it’s incumbent upon Netanyahu to apologize to Erdogan, not vice versa.

The real significance of this, I think, is that it signals deepening worry among Syria’s neighbors about spillover from the war. Whether that’s related to the (probably apocryphal) claims of chemical weapons being used a few days ago or to some other form of escalation that the world doesn’t know about yet is unclear, but evidently Bibi and Erdogan have reached the point where containing the Syrian black hole is more important than holding old grudges. That’s more bad news for Iran, as naturally it prefers its enemies in Tel Aviv and its enemies among anti-Assad Islamists to remain divided.

Comments

Big, big mistake. Turkey is the one that should be apologizing.

And if Bibi thinks this appeasement of the islamists in Turkey is going to help relations … then he just ain’t too bright.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

My version would have been – “I’m sorry your fellow countrymen are idiots for trying to run a blockade.”

Steve Eggleston on March 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Does this mean we’ll soon be openly supporting the Syrian “freedom fighters” with money and munitions, possibly even troops?

steebo77 on March 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Didn’t Erdogan know beforehand that the flotilla “activists” intended to perpetrate violence and still actively support them?

steebo77 on March 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

It’s actually Erdogan’s arm that O twisted as Netanyahu’s offered this “apology” in the past but Erdogan was the one who refused to accept it.

sauldalinsky on March 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Obama is awesome.

Common Sense Floridian on March 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

This would be like the President of the US giving a speech where he apologized to the Muslim world for past US actions. That would be unbelievable……… oh, wait.

Bitter Clinger on March 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

“… and agreed to complete the agreement for compensation,” the statement said.”

No doubt Obowma said that if Bibi apologized…

… he would be more than happy to have the American tax payers pick up the tab.

No doubt…

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Obama: “3 billion dollars of Israeli aid says that you won’t apologize.”
Netaniahu: “Deal.”

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I apologize for all Americans – except for those fools who were destined to be in assault craft, in the invasion of Japan – for the atomic bombings of your fair and righteous country.

- Commander Ivy League Education vis-a-vis Affirmative Action

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Alternate headline: Netanyahu gives Erdogan green light to run Gaza blockade once again

Mark1971 on March 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Has anyone ever apologized to Israel for killing their citizens?
L

letget on March 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

What next, victims of rape have to apologize for fighting back?

John the Libertarian on March 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Has anyone ever apologized to Israel for killing their citizens?

letget on March 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Germany. But then, unlike Israeli neighbors, it’s populated by humans.

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Pathetic!

Will he also apologize to Hitler for messing up his ovens?

VorDaj on March 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

So just what does obama have on him?

sandee on March 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

You are correct, I stand corrected.

It seems bho is hated more by the rop type than Bush, if that is possible?
L

letget on March 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Sidebar – I’m listening to music and I’m being bombarded by HotAir advertisements.

This is absolute BULLSHIT.

I feel like I’m listening to the radio.

Talk about a buzzkill.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

This is absolute BULLSHIT.

I feel like I’m listening to the radio.

Talk about a buzzkill.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Get NoScript and turn off all the stuff that bothers you. Your pages will load much faster, too. I would also get DoNotTrackMe.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I find it distasteful that this site deliberately chooses ‘ugly’ pictures of president Obama to go along with its posts

nonpartisan on March 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

(Love the all-purpose aspect, btw. It really does work with any picture.)

rogerb on March 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Usurpers from both sides, while so much misery at home.

Plus, GWB was more popular in the ME than is the Pretender.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

nonpartisan on March 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Heh, I missed this yesterday. Does the nobrain know about all the distaestful pictures of GWB and every single R/C they report on? Combust, you little hypocritical weasel.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Netanyahu must have gone through a few bottles of Tums this week.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

~ Allahpundit

Is there an English translation for this?

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Huh. So when are the Turks gonna apologize for the millions of Armenians they murdered?

Akzed on March 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Your Dummy in Chief

Your Superdummy in Chief

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I don’t take this to mean that he’s admitting that there were any errors/mistakes. Just that if there were any, and that those errors are what led to the loss of life, then he’s sorry. But if the loss of life was the result of the idiots on the ships (which, presumably, is what he thinks) – no apology.

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Steve Eggleston on March 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I don’t trust any liberal media translations anyway. It’s possible that what PM Netanyahu said really was more like your version.

slickwillie2001 on March 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Origins – the Turkic tribes migrated from Mongolia and China.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Big, big mistake. Turkey is the one that should be apologizing.
ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I imagine he has a much better understanding, grasp of, and ability to formulate courses of action in regards to his country than you do, Pops.

In fact, I know it.

Genuine on March 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Oh, geeze……………

This is some sort of totally, awesome detente on Barfy’s part.

I guess only a muzzie sympathizer could get ‘er done, right.

Where are the pics of them smiling and shaking hands? I want to see the Wee Potus sitting there with a ciggie in his mouth like Roosevelt on a perch with Churchill and Stalin.

Surely, this event reaches the same stature, no?

After all, this kid is the first BPOTUS of the US, and we need to show proper deference.

Everything he does is historic. Remarkable. Outstanding.

That Job Pivot he did in 2009 is something I’m still rejoicing over over that along with millions of others. /

That’s why I’m off to a low-paying, part time job that I will work until midnight.

The good news is that as long as beans and rice stay at a certain price within my budget I won’t have to apply for Food Stamps.

Phuck you, Barfy.

Cody1991 on March 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM

- Commander Ivy League Education vis-a-vis Affirmative Action

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I think it’s more like this:

If we were controlling the brains of your military leaders and that mind control resulted in them attacking Pearl Harbor, we apologize for nuking you.

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

In fact, I know it.

Genuine on March 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Do you? That’s great. Netanyahu screwed up during his last term in office when he gave away Hebron. That was stupid and a disaster and he got chucked from the Prime Ministership for it. But you knew that, I’m sure, and you know that giving away Hebron was the right thing to do …

Okey doke.

Israel has been taking a wrong tack with many of the cultures it has to dela with, which is why they have to fight new incarnations of the same exact war every ten years, like clockwork. But, maybe you think that that is the strategy, because you know so much about Israel and middle eastern cultures …. yep.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Agreed with the tone about how absurd this is…

BUT…

You said Iran’s enemies in Tel-Aviv, it would be more precise to say JERUSALEM since that IS israel’s capital and where Iran’s presumed enemies (the leadership)are located…

Do not fall in to the trap of substituting Tel-Aviv for Jerusalem as the capital…

Janovus on March 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Netanyahu: “I apologize for the IDF not killing more of those blockade running idiots!”

Deano1952 on March 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Pretty much count on it.

hawkeye54 on March 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I appreciate your reply, very much. But, stupid as it prolly is, I only have IE, and it looks like NoScript only applies to Firefox. I do have Do Not Track Plus, but I tend to run on In Private Browsing, so I don’t know if DNTP would help me, without the NoScript.

At any rate, I’m getting sick of this shit, so I’ll either have to get Firefox, or bail HotAir.

Again, thanks for getting back with me – it was appreciated.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Deano1952 on March 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Exactly. Political expedience is one thing – like these revolting “apologies” – reality is an entirely different issue.

Cody1991 on March 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It seems bho is hated more by the rop type than Bush, if that is possible?

letget on March 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He’s not hated more, just respected less. Condi “Legs” Rice was so universally despised by both Israel and Arabs for presuming that she could understand the Middle Eastern mentality from the university’s ivory tower. As a nation of bullies, Arabs have built-in feature inherent respect for superior strength. They feared and respected Bush the Cowboy, but he lost it after beclowning himself with the “peace process”. Obama, to them, has no strength at all, thanks to his Apology Tour.

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

besser tot als rot on March 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

My dad made landings at both Saipan and Iwo Jima, amongst others, as a Corpsman – Corpseman/Obama – and so the prospect of The Commie apologizing to the Japanese is particularly revolting to me.

And I know that, if the Ivy League/Affirmative Action Pissant in the Oval Office thought he could get away with it – he WOULD apologize for the bombings.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Facepalm. Nothing to apologize, and ESPECIALLY to compensate, for.

Madness.

changer1701 on March 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

A joke of the sweet past:

George W. Bush hosts a dinner with Yassir Arafat. At some point, Arafat leans over and quietly asks Bush:

— Mr. President, I am an avid fan of “Star Trek”. I couldn’t help but notice that on the Enterprise, there are people of many nations, such as the Europeans, the Blacks, the Asians, and even a Russian. Yet I couldn’t see a single Arab there. Why does my favorite series show such a blatant inequality, and has no Arabs?

George Bush leans over, and quietly responds:

— That’s because the series’ action is in the future…

Archivarix on March 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The truth emerges

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

There is a middle eastern saying……..

The enemy of my enemy is my Friend.

(See Iraq -1980′s- support from USA)

This means Syria, with the help of the Ruskies, may become more of a problem than anyone knows, and may be “in play” real soon – and the Turks are not Buds with the Syrians,

so……… Won’tcha be my, neighbor ?

FlaMurph on March 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on March 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Abine.com

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

s/b “I’m sorry you haven’t apologized for your country’s behavior in that blockade-running exercise.”

Midas on March 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

They could have sunk it and nobody would have known the difference.

Speakup on March 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I’m a little bit curious, has anyone heard or read why the Turkish PM met with Ambassador Stevens the night of his death. And why the meeting had to be in Benghazi rather than Tripoli?

DDay on March 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Wasn’t one of our jackass trolls trying to tell us yesterday how popular little Bammie was in Israel?

A poll released last week showed he had a scant 10% approval rating in Israel, with an additional 32% saying they respect but don’t like him…

slickwillie2001 on March 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Akzed on March 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

…they ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Scroll down to the last photo. This is the flag of the Turkish group that supported the flotilla. Notice the colours. Notice the symbol.

Resist We Much on March 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Appeasement never works, period.

MN J on March 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

No doubt Obama forced Bibi to do this..very disappointing that you did this Bibi =( those animals attacked those brave soldiers and they responded with the necessary force.

sadsushi on March 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM

If you don’t think that Bibi wasn’t forced to do this, Bibi knows all about the Islamists. However he is stuck having to work against an anti-Israeli Obama regime. Between Bibi’s trip to the U.S where he dissed Obama and his support of Romney during the last election he was probably lucky that this is all he had to do to keep Herr leader happy. Obama can stop the spare parts that Bibi needs to keep his planes in the air and nothing Bibi can do about it. Just like us he is stuck with 4 years of Obambi but he has to deal with Iran getting the Nukes during the same time period.

cmptrnerd on March 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It’s about bloody time Bibi did this.

This is really about Iran rather than Syria.

lexhamfox on March 23, 2013 at 2:33 AM

You can thank Obama for this.

No. It is Netanyahu’s fault.

spit

Shy Guy on March 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

and while the apologies are rampant, we should apologize for the moron we send over there that masquerades as POTUS. Bibi should have told him to pound sand, but oba-mao probably blackmailed Israel. Oh! Maybe he promised to take back the aircraft, etc. we just sent the islamists in Egypt! What a stupendous, incredible, abhorrent, joke………

ultracon on March 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM