Video: “Star Trek Into Darkness” trailer

posted at 7:31 pm on March 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. Here’s my problem: On some level, I just can’t accept “Trek” without the camp factor. That’s also why I’ve never much liked the occasional modern attempts to restart “The Twilight Zone.” They never get the tone right. It’s not that the new versions aren’t creepy enough or that the writing’s unimaginative, it’s that they can’t recapture the pedantic kitsch of Rod coming out with that cigarette at the start of each episode to frame This Week’s Lesson for you. One of the reasons “The Next Generation” succeeded, I think, was because it did manage to channel some of the original campiness. Never to a Shatnerian degree, true, but the sets looked like sets, the make-up looked like make-up, and no one seemed to take themselves terribly seriously. (I know, I know — that’s the product of a TV series having a lower budget. What can I say? Maybe “Trek” is better on the small screen.) In the trailer below, it’s seriousness and zillion-dollar F/X all the way. The brooding, 90210-ish, ostentatiously “intense” Kirk is especially jarring. Is that how he was in the first movie or is this trailer catching him at especially melodramatic moments?

If I’m not mistaken, that’s the Enterprise doing a belly flop into the harbor at the end. So there’s that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“… was because it did manage to channel some of the original campiness.”

O_o

Seven Percent Solution on March 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I heard this trailer gives away way too much of the plot, so I’ll just wait 8 more weeks for the movie to open.

As far as Trek without the camp, Wrath of Khan had plenty of scenery chewing by Ricardo Montalban and to a slightly lesser extent Shatner, but most of the movie was played straight and it got very dark at times. And Search For Spock was arguably even darker in tone(albeit with a much more upbeat ending).

Doughboy on March 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

It’s not the enterprise. And that’s not Kirk nor Spock.

lorien1973 on March 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

“So there’s that”

HA!

Opposite Day on March 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Allah, don’t take this wrong, but:

1. you don’t like The Walking Dead
2. you don’t like the new Star Trek

You gotta change with the times. “Get Christie Love was cancelled a LONG time ago.

/just funnin’ wit ya…

john1schn on March 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Gene Roddenberry is unavailable for comment.

Electrongod on March 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

In the reboot Kirk was a pompous jerk with good intentions. It looks like he still has some of the backtalking and big mouth from the first movie, but with a bit more of an air of righteous indignation here.

I’d disagree. Next Gen had its own flavor. It didn’t have its Trouble with Tribbles episodes in terms of campiness (the closest it came to original Trek campiness was any episode with Q). Picard was highly distinct from Kirk, and Riker with the beard always brought a greater degree of seriousness than you’d ever see on the original show.

Stoic Patriot on March 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I sure hope so. The J.J.prise is fugly to the max.

It is a cheap attempt to try to recapture the saddest moment in movie history.

Otherwise it looks to be less forgettable than the last one.

And there is only one Enterprise. No A, B, C, D, E, or any other letter. If the real Scotty was still around he would add “no reboot” Enterprise either.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

It’s getting old. The Enterprise gets destroyed a lot.

The Rogue Tomato on March 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Perhaps the best Next Gen scene.

Stoic Patriot on March 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Perhaps the best Next Gen scene.

Stoic Patriot on March 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

There is no such thing.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I don’t like Hollywood or big money progressive supporters; guess I won’t be seeing this.

Belle on March 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s not the enterprise. And that’s not Kirk nor Spock.

lorien1973 on March 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

+ 1 jillion

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Cheap sets? Bad make-up? Your age is showing. The “kids” who buy movie tickets would see the early Trek as a SNL segment. When they laugh at something, everyone laughs. When they are in awe, everyone is in awe. The elaborate sets of their video games and massive, detailed destruction would shame the original Trek back into the trailer.

The kids are a lot like this new “Kirk”. Melodrama without a clear plan. They, like him “just know what they can do…” they want to make history without a clear idea of what they are doing or whether the fit is there.

Spending money on a grand scale to avoid the exercise of imagination sure fits the whole cultural meme today, too.

This is similar to what is happening to the nation.

In your heart, you know I’m right.

IlikedAUH2O on March 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I MUCH prefer this to the later Star Treks….the last ones just were tedious, because you “had” to do certain things…Data had to do this or worry about emotions…We had to have moments with Troi or with Ryker…these fan-boi touch stones began to weigh down the series…

Don’t have that NOW, do we? That universe is all gone…and now we can explore other parts of the house….

The Old series was like Dr Sheldon Cooper,it was OCD, with it’s touch stones…it’s shibboleths, all of which are gone…and that makes the new series much more refreshing…

Side Note: I prefer Daniel Craig as 007, too, even more so than Connery..so mayhap I’m just an iconoclast.

JFKY on March 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Perhaps the best Next Gen scene.

Stoic Patriot on March 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

John de Lanceyboy: “…and I.. am God.”

Patrick Stewart: “BWAHAHAHAHAAA! Bull-f*ckin’ sh!t!”

Priceless

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Never to a Shatnerian degree,

That is the best made-up adjective I’ve ever seen on a blog.

peski on March 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

All the viewer really knows about that ship is that it is a Constellation Class starship, which Starfleet has many of in the Roddenberry universe. It is not necessarily the Enterprise, although it probably is. I am looking forward to seeing this.

Aodhan on March 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

OK, quiet, alla y’all.

Time for Walking Dead B & W.

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Aodhan on March 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Nope, Constitution class. Constellation class has four warp nacelles.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Nope, Constitution class. Constellation class has four warp nacelles.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Anybody interested in a game of D&D tonight?

peski on March 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

That looks like a decent Michael Bay movie.

lowandslow on March 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

peski on March 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Nope, never cared for it.

Designing and producing kits of really neat space ships though…now we can get into something. And make enough to afford other hobbies.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

WTH happened to WD B&W Thursdays?!?!?!?

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Anybody interested in a game of D&D tonight?

peski on March 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

No the Morrow Project or Twilight 2000, please.

JFKY on March 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

No the Morrow Project…

JFKY on March 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Heh, I made a kit of the MARS-1 for the folks that play that.

Got tired of it before I finished the science lab.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Another Star Trek movie about revenge? They’re not really trying that hard for stories anymore.

Dongemaharu on March 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I hated the MARS-1…but then I hated Damnation Alley…we fielded the V-150 with the 81mm mortar and either the V-150 w/20mm or the 90mm Cockerill…I believe that it is important to bring lots of fire power to one’s rebuilding projects.

JFKY on March 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I am a big “Star Trek” fan, and can’t for the life of me understand why “Voyager” wasn’t given a movie.

This looks like the last Batman flick, except it’s in space or something.

SouthernGent on March 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Damnit! Am I going to have to go see the movie to find out if the villain is Gary Mitchell?

Odysseus on March 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Bad guy: I am better…
Kirk : At what?
Bad guy : … everything …
Ohura: mmmm everything, sugar?

kurtzz3 on March 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I thought the best part of the reinvented Trek Kirk in the first movie was that the actor had really good comedic timing. He was pretty funny with his WTF? reactions. If they lose that in this movie then that’s a definite negative.

jnelchef on March 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

SouthernGent on March 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Oh, SG, say it ain’t so. Please tell me you forgot the sarc tag. Nobody liked Voyager. It was waaaaay too politically correct. I can’t even name five episodes that I’d care to see again.

Odysseus on March 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It’s getting old. The Enterprise gets destroyed a lot.

The Rogue Tomato on March 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

LOL! Seriously, how many times has the Enterprise been destroyed? In the Next Generation movies, it seemed like they destroyed it every movie.

Yes, I understand that in this trailer it might be a different ship but how many times can they pull this stunt?

Captain Kirock on March 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It’s not the enterprise. And that’s not Kirk nor Spock.

lorien1973 on March 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

LOL! That is so true.

HiJack on March 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

“That looks like a decent Michael Bay movie.”

I think I read somewhere that Mike Stoklasa, the guy who created the hour-long YouTube deconstructions of the Star Wars prequels described the Star Trek reboot as having the fun, zippy, vaguely campy tone and pacing that the Star Wars prequels should have had. I suppose if you view the new Trek movies along those lines, rather than anything connected with the Trek that ran from 1966 through Star Trek: Enterprise, it’s bit more palatable. But I miss the postwar manly confidence of Shatner, Kelly and Doohan, and even Nimoy’s Spock in his own idiosyncratic way.

Ed Driscoll on March 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

LOL! Seriously, how many times has the Enterprise been destroyed?

Captain Kirock on March 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Only once. the others don’t count.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Ed Driscoll on March 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Neanderthal, angst is where its at. But, yeah.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

/just funnin’ wit ya…

john1schn on March 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Now THAT was funny. Even funnier that I (barely) remember watching that show.

WitchDoctor on March 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

/just funnin’ wit ya…

john1schn on March 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Honey West, man. Honey West.

novaculus on March 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Go watch “The Artist” and stop complaining.

JJ Abrams is brilliant.

@AsalamaTweetum

Opinionnation on March 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

The Next Generation

I’m sorry, but I never liked this re-boot or really any of the other ones. I did think Captain Janeway and of course the ultra hot Seven of Nine was nice.

The Kirk movies I’ve liked all how many are there now? 6 of the real Star Trek and is this the 2nd or third younger version?

“The Voyage Home” was just a hoot. Hearing Spock say the line “The Hell you say” was worth the price of admission.

“The Wrath of Khan” was awesome in it’s day (gosh nearly 30 years ago).

“The Undiscovered Country” also had a great plot, and that shape-shifter thing with that supermodel.

We’re going to see this at Midnight, and IronMan 3 as well. Going to be a great Summer.

PappyD61 on March 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

After watching the trailer I’m saying what Obama does to the freaking media.

Bow Down B*tc*es!!!

PappyD61 on March 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Never occurred to me anyone would think ST is campy.

Anyway, as long as there are black holes with event horizons about a football field across that “threaten the galaxy” when they are near Romulus but have no effect elsewhere; as long as you can fly into and out of said black holes; as long as the enterprise can park itself anywhere in the galaxy in about five minutes; as long as the warp nacelles sometimes seem to work like rocket engines; as long as massive, space-faring ships are being fabricated on the ground instead of in space; — as long as Orion slave girls are in Star Fleet and as oversexed as ever — as long as it is as abjectly, insultingly stupid as the first one, but is filled with action and mindless adventure –

I’m there. Can’t wait for it to reach FX.

Axe on March 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

So, it’s not perfect.
It might not even be good.
But I will still go.

Haiku Guy on March 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Camp? In theatre, you know it is a set but you suspend that because the story carries it. And the acting. This is the problem with the High Def junk: it misses the point of science fiction, which is the fantasy and what if quality.

AshleyTKing on March 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Ed Driscoll on March 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Neanderthal, angst is where its at. But, yeah.
cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Teen angst, in specific. When they cast for the next dreaded Trek movie maybe they can find a Kirk who’s started shaving.

whatcat on March 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM

DS9 was the best Trek.

That said, the new line of movies looks to be pretty good so far.

mythicknight on March 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

AshleyTKing on March 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Good point. But people go to see movies these days for the CGI-FX – it’s just a wide screen videogame; if a lot of things get blowed up real good then it’s Oscar material.

whatcat on March 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

This is similar to what is happening to the nation.

In your heart, you know I’m right.

IlikedAUH2O on March 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

AshleyTKing on March 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

lot of things get blowed up real good then it’s Oscar material.

whatcat on March 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

True. But Afleck got one and his Argo was quite good I thought. Rings and Potter also kept the fantasy part center stage, not effects.

AshleyTKing on March 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Looks good. I’ll be there.

Garym on March 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Perhaps the best Next Gen scene.
Stoic Patriot on March 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

This was the best dramatic TNG scene.

whatcat on March 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Let’s see…in the first movie a punk kid who had no business being in Starfleet Academy is about to be kicked out for disorderly conduct and poor performance, so he sneaks aboard the Enterprise and for no good reason is promoted to Captain because everyone else there is even less qualified them he is.

I waiting to see how Abrams tops that

halfbaked on March 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The smart thing they did in the last movie was change the future.

I’m not sure how many people realized this. Spock’s mother was killed. Their planet was destroyed. They have altered time because Volcan and Spock’s mother existed during the original series.

They can do anything they want now from here on out without adhering to the series. So, in the new Star Trek life, campiness never happens.

I personally never liked the low budget. I never liked the movies either, or Star Trek Next Generation.

I loved the idea of Trek. I enjoyed the relationships and the Kirk character. Say what you want about him, but Capt. Kirk exemplified a great leader. The Captains who followed in the other series were jokes.

But the Kirk in the movies I didn’t care for. Too much brooding over his age and all that crap.

But they have altered the future in these new movies. They have set it up so the future could be completely different than what it was during the original series.

JellyToast on March 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Never thought Gary Mitchell would appear in a Trek movie.

Still one of the best eps.

budfox on March 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Is Aniken the captain or is Spock?

Rusty Allen on March 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Man, you guys take this entertainment stuff serious.

Cleombrotus on March 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Perhaps the best Next Gen scene.
Stoic Patriot on March 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Naaah, this is the best TNG scene.

Oldnuke on March 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

JellyToast on March 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Bingo.

cheers

eon (EOT*)

(*Extremely Original Trekkie- since the first airing of “Where No Man Has Gone Before” on September 22, 1966, in fact.)

eon on March 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Wait. Is that Sherlock Holmes as the villain? Oh, I wish my daughter were here. She knows all of the younger actors.

Fallon on March 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

woah hello there who’s the blond chick with the oh god it’s going to be Rand isn’t it??

das411 on March 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

This is Star Trek in name only. The first one was awful, and I have no intention of seeing this one.

changer1701 on March 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

The blonde is Dr. Carol Marcus.

One can never have too much Alice Eve in a movie. That’s a law of physics, and ye cannae change the laws of physics.

DarthBrooks on March 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I always felt that the next generation series worked because it was the same as kirk and Spock except the rolls were reversed. Picard was the serious Spock type, and Riker was the Kirk styled risk taker.

That said I look forward to the new trek franchise. It helps to erase the Scott bakula Enterprise series from bring the finale of star trek.

portlandon on March 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Man, I gotta quit huffin’ that Zenite gas.

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Perhaps my favorite Kirk-Trek casting moment was putting perennial tough-guy Charles Napier in the role of a space hippy poet with curly blonde locks. Having first recognized him as the typical ‘Herbert’ character in Rambo 2 and then as the Adam I knew from my childhood viewing of Trek was a laugh-inducing experience.

Heeeeeeey, Brother!

James on March 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Holltwood made “The Avengers” by cobbling together other movies, so maybe soon they will make “The Revengers” by cobbling this Startrek villain together with Bain in Batman and that unnatural blond villain in the latest Bond and a bunch more. They wouldn’t want to be too creative now.

RasThavas on March 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM

That’s a law of physics, and ye cannae change the laws of physics.

DarthBrooks on March 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Unless the plot calls for it. The law of Hollywood trumps the law of physics don’t ya’ know, laddie.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

portlandon on March 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Enterprise was better than most of the other series in the franchise, until the writing crapped out.

And there was Jolene something or other in tight jumpsuits.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

So did Star Wars, unfortunately for Episodes I-III.

mintycrys on March 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I suppose I would be considered a Trekkie, I have to say I love the reboot of the series. I think the recasting has mostly worked and the first movie was fantastic. Once I accepted the way they explained the changing of Trek history in order to free up the writers then I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie with Chris Pine as Capt Kirk. I think he has doing a good job taking over for Shatner, although there will never be another William Shatner. So lighten up on the new movies, they needed to get some energy and I welcome it.

crazywater on March 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

So lighten up on the new movies…

crazywater on March 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Not until they do something about the abomination that is the J.J.prise. And you can’t make me.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM

crazywater on March 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Trekkies are dateless wonders whom Shatner once yelled at on SNL.

Trekkers are people who get into ST but are not consumed by it daily.

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Historically, the odd-numbered Trek films were campy. The even-numbered films were darker in tone.

By the way, this is the best scene from TNG (from the arguably best episode of the series).

eaglescout_1998 on March 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Historically, the odd-numbered Trek films were campy crappy.
eaglescout_1998 on March 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Was that a spelling error that needed to be fixed?

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Fallon on March 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Yep, Benedict Cumberbatch, who’s now working on Season 4 of Sherlock.

Possibly the most entertainingly twisted pastiche’ of The Great Detective ever.

cheers

eon

eon on March 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM

The Enterprise does not do belly flops.

InterestedObserver on March 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Apocalypse Week Marathon Begins Mon. Mar 25.

WTH happened to WD B&W Thursdays?!?!?!?

Lanceman on March 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse Week Marathon begins Mon. Mar 25

RedRobin145 on March 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Was that a spelling error that needed to be fixed?
cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I don’t think the odd numbered films were “crappy”. They just weren’t as good as the even-numbered films. Although, I think Nemesis broke the Odd/Even Star Trek Movie Law

eaglescout_1998 on March 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

eaglescout_1998 on March 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I have deleted Nemesis from my memory. Along with the other TNG flicks.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

And while we’re talking about Star Trek, why did the Star Trekers keep using the same hull number for every ‘Enterprise’ with a tacked on letter? Was there something sacred about the 1960′s Enterprise’s hull number? Should the US Navy’s new CVN-80 ‘USS Enterprise’ be re-designated as CV-6C?

Oh yeah, the trailer, meh, needs more action.

diesirae on March 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Watching posters complain on here about “That’s not Kirk” and moan about how the franchise has been rebooted really need to get over it.

I am a fan of Star Trek shows. I’ll admit it. However, the series is tired.

Trek needed this. If you want to relive old glories, watch Netflix. If you want to have the breath of life back in a series that smelled of damp basement mothballs, then this is the new evolution.

I still like Shatner. I still like Nimoy.

But I prefer to include everything.

Ken Gentner on March 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

The first one was great. I look forward to seeing this.

Oil Can on March 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM

That looks… Awful. Like Michael Bay directing a space Bourne movie. Which is fine, if that’s your bag. Could you just leave Star Trek out of it?

unclejack on March 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Probably won’t see. Could imagine myself in the theater when Generic Bad Guy snarls to Cpt. Kirk, “None of you are safe.”

Everyone would throw popcorn and drinks at my jumping up, yelling at the screen, “‘IS‘, ya putz! None of you ‘IS‘ safe!!!”

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Doughboy on March 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Well, that may be good and fine, but Allah has made himself clear. He’d rather be watching the Wrath of Corn.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Meh

apostic on March 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

BSG ( the reboot) will always be grittier.:lol

dec5 on March 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM

What a bunch of moaning, it’s pathetic. Yes I loved the original, I watched it when it was first on. Yes it could be a little campy at times, how many worlds did they run across that just happened to have the exact same history as the earth? Utterly ridiculous, you couldn’t make a movie based on that. Well, Mel Brooks could have.

What they got right: the characters and how they personally interact. Yes, Kirk is cocky, get over it. Now it’s got car chases and explosions, get over that too. The new Scotty is great, the Spock-Uhura thing has potential. Chekov has much more potential for a bigger role. Enjoy the spectacle and quit your whining.

Fenris on March 22, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Well I think it looks rad. Really AP you didn’t see the last one? Pretty snarky comments from a non Star Trek fan. Next Gen sucked ballz btw.

D-Bar on March 22, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Yeah, the first “reboot” was stupid enough – with glaring plot holes, Spock getting busy with Uhura, and a raw academy graduate being promoted captain.

Thanks, but no thanks.

One more example of Hollywood taking something great and turning it into lowest-common-denominator schlock.

DRayRaven on March 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Really? I liked certain aspects of Janeway but even I as a fellow woman can admit she did not have the appeal of the male captains.

Oh wait, that’s a feature, not a bug. God, I loved Picard. I loved (original) Kirk too, but for different reasons.

AP, you really have to treat the reboot as something totally unrelated to the original (just as TNG was, in my opinion).

Ken Gentner on March 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

This. I loved TOS from the time I was a kid and later loved the TNG series and especially First Contact. But the old stuff was played out. This bears no resemblance to the Star Trek iterations I knew and loved growing up, and that’s fine. I take it as a good popcorn flick and that’s it.

mrsknightley on March 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM

This is a really good point. While I’m open-minded about the reboot, I do have a harder time accepting someone as boyish as Chris Pine as an authority figure. He’s got the looks, but not the aura of command. Shatner in his prime was not only incredibly easy on the eyes, he was a man and played Kirk as a man, not a boy. Same with Picard, whatever you may say about his more politically correct approach to conflict. It makes a difference.

mrsknightley on March 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I can’t get into the reboot at all and most of the movies. The reboot movies are too futuristic-looking compared to TOS. I’m also bored with the writers blowing up Enterprise every chance they get.

Will the real USS Enterprise please flash her running lights?

Liam on March 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM

The reason there was never a “Voyager” movie is because the series came to a conclusion; they returned home. Where could they possibly go from there?

As far as the Star Trek franchise: It was a cash cow that milked to the point where there was nothing left for it to give. It needed a shot in the arm. That’s why the producers decided to do something different with “Enterprise.” The problem, for me, is that Star Trek has always been an optimistic look toward the future; I have no real interest in looking backward.

eaglescout_1998 on March 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM

“NEEEEEEEERRRRD!”

- Homer Simpson

Nick_Angel on March 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Odysseus on March 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Nobody liked it?
At the time, I didn’t care for it because I was comparing it to the far superior Deep Space Nine series – but after rewatching it on Netflix, I’d have to say it’s a good show. Not the best of the bunch, but a solid show…certainly better than the Star Trek reboot movie. And the way they dealt with the Borg was far more interesting than anything outside of Best of Both Worlds and First Contact.

BTW…Enterprise was a lot better than people gave it credit for, as well. Berman was unfairly slammed by the fanboys in the base (and what do they get as a reward? Chris Pine and JJ Abrams! ROFLMAO), and everyone else was suffering Trek fatigue.

BTW – my 10 year-old daughter loves Janeway and Seven of Nine. Positive female role models in entertainment are the exception, not the rule.

DRayRaven on March 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Seven was a wonderful character and Jeri Ryan did a great job with her. But in my mind, that outfit subverts most, if not all, of the role-model aspects of the character.

mrsknightley on March 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Anybody interested in a game of D&D tonight?

peski on March 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM