The Redskins really need to change their name and House Democrats are on it

posted at 4:11 pm on March 21, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Simmer down, guys: The political-correctness battle over the Redskins’ team name has been raging since what feels like time immemorial, but Congress is here for you with all the right answers. These Democrats want to wear down the football team’s resistance, war-of-attrition style:

A group of House Democrats on Wednesday introduced a bill that would prevent the term “Redskins” from being trademarked, a move intended to put pressure on the Washington football club to change its name.

The Non-Disparagement of American Indians in Trademark Registrations Act of 2013 is co-sponsored by Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), and comes days after a federal trademark panel heard arguments over whether the team name was a slur. The panel could potentially overturn the team’s trademark, which would erode profits by allowing other businesses to sell apparel and goods featuring the Redskins name.

Earlier this month, Norton said the team “should consider” a new name.

… But nothing happens without pushing and shoving … I am a fan of the Redskins. I’m just not a fan of their name,” Norton said.

Come on, now. Whichever way you come down on the decades-long conflict over whether or not the Redskins’ mascot amounts to racially offensive disparagement, can we all at least agree that it is definitively not the legislative branch’s job to arbitrate these kinds of disputes? Maybe? This bill is obviously and specifically aimed at a specific body for a specific perceived offense, but why these federal lawmakers think the onus is one them to effectively punish the Redskins for daring to defy them is just not right. I’m pretty sure that’s what we have a court system for, and there is indeed already a case going through the proper channels.

Doesn’t sound like the bill even has a shot of getting off the ground, but hey, maybe these federal lawmakers have a few more high-priority, nationally-focused things they could be worrying about, perhaps?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How about the Washington Bullets? That’s no longer taken.

Doughboy on March 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Constitutional experts: Does this violate the Constitution?

aunursa on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If I where the ower I would change the nme to whiteskins just to through it in their face

ChunkyLover on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Why are we funding government again…?

Seven Percent Solution on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Doughboy on March 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Perfect!!!

aunursa on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I think it’d be offensive, if I was an Indian.

Oh, shit, I used an offensive term.

Anyway … what I say doesn’t matter.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

It’s not like there are any other pressing problems our full time public servants should be dealing with. How ARE things in DC Ms Holmes?

birdwatcher on March 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Elizabeth Warren hardest hit.

John the Libertarian on March 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Ms Holmes is no Sherlock, that’s for sure.

birdwatcher on March 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

The Washington Obama’s.

portlandon on March 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Constitutional experts: Does this violate the Constitution?

aunursa on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

It does. Why does it matter?

Archivarix on March 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

…can we all at least agree that it is definitively not the legislative branch’s job to arbitrate these kinds of disputes?

It has NEVER stopped them before…?

singlemalt 18 on March 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Is it racist for me to suggest that most of the Redskins … ain’t?

If ya get my drift.

Oh, shit, there I go, again.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Do it! Change it to Washington Meals0nWheels. Do it! The NFL will cave. Before 2020 every player will have to score one for the other side for every one they score for their side. It is fair!

Limerick on March 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

It does. Why does it matter?

Archivarix on March 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

A court could block the law.

(At least until the Chief Justice finds a “tax” in it.)

aunursa on March 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Here’s how you stop the players from bitchin’ … about concussions.

New Rule – After your first concussion, you’re gone … and can earn those millions by relying on that college education of yours.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

As someone 1/4 Scottish, do I get to be outrageously outraged over the Boston Celtics? because they have a cartoon mascot and they pronounce the word wrong, it’s a hard “c” not a soft “c.”

rbj on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Lets change the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS first?

Hows about dat, eh ?

FlaMurph on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I’m Irish, I take no offence from Notre Dame’s use of their Fighting Irish Mascot. Some one needs to lighten up.

birdwatcher on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Erika, my apologies for using the “B” word, twice in one thread.

It comes naturally to me, as does walking with my knuckles.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Rename the team ‘Meddling Politicians’.

Unintended consequences.

trigon on March 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM

rbj on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

C’mon…..its Tomato – Tomato, same thing.

FlaMurph on March 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

ChunkyLover on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I like where you’re going, but let’s be accurate: I propose the name “BlacknWhitewithaFewSomoanSkins”. It just rolls off the tongue.

mdenis39 on March 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

The Redskins really need to change their name and House Democrats are on it
posted at 4:11 pm on March 21, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

If just one Native American is saved from being offended …

/Obamaspeak

Paul-Cincy on March 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Is it racist for me to suggest that most of the Redskins … ain’t?

If ya get my drift.

Oh, shit, there I go, again.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Some day we have to talk……maybe meet at an OSU game.I like your attitude and was in Payne County last Monday! Live to the east!

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Well since they represent Washington-the home of our political class, I vote for the new name to be:

1.The Washington Rulers

2.The Washington Deceivers (neat-it rhymes with receivers)

3. The Alinskyites (any means to an end zone)

4. The Washington redistributers (that old double hand off play)

You get the idea–any ideas out there?

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

LOL, tomshup, you’re on!

I appreciate the comment, too.

By the way, I graduated from OU, too. But, by the grace of God, I’ve chosen to be orange and black.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

The Washington FuDems

kagai on March 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Why must we continue to pay homage to a group that is basically extinct? Yes, it was their country. 500 years ago. Now? No. They should be happy they’re remembered.

joejm65 on March 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

As someone who grew up as a big Redskins fan…..back when Y.A. Tittle and then Sonny Jurgenson were over center, this notion of a name change is “revoltin!”

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

All of the Army’s helicopters are named after Indian tribes so what will we do about that?I’ve never heard a complaint about it.

docflash on March 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

How about the D.C. Tories? Fits right in with our leaders’ perceived notion that they can violate the Constitution at will. And none of this “Washington” crap. It interferes with my Seattle Seahawks.

HiJack on March 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The Indians were the losers anyway. How about the Washington Cavalry? We went through this same crap with the Marquette Warriors. How the Indians ever got the right to the term warrior, I have no clue. I would have just changed the mascot to another reference of warrior. Of course I’m sure PETA will someday go after them for using Golden Eagle.

Deano1952 on March 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Say, since these same folks loathe conservativism, I’m amazed they aren’t demanding that the Patriots change their offensive name.

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I guess that’s why they painted Chief Kisco white.

Ben Hur on March 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

How about the Washington Fore—-
Oh, never mind.

countrybumpkin on March 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Lets change the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS first?

Hows about dat, eh ?

FlaMurph on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Change it to the Homerhawks, maybe..?

affenhauer on March 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

How about th Washington IRS? No team will go near them.

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

The team actually plays in Landover, Maryland so they are geographically challenged.

NoDonkey on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Two of my kids grauated from OU! I know guys like you and vice versa!
It’s a funny world!

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

1.The Washington Rulers

2.The Washington Deceivers DC-vers (neat-it rhymes with receivers)

3. The Alinskyites (any means to an end zone)

4. The Washington redistributers (that old double hand off play)

You get the idea–any ideas out there?

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM

affenhauer on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

LOL, you old dog!

I remember watchin’ Johnny U on a black and white tv … complete with those high-tops of his. Watched Sonny, and Roman Gabriel, and Lenny Dawson, and Bart Starr, and Fran Tarkenton … we saw the NFL when it was meant to be watched.

It kinda sickens me, nowadays.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

How about we change the name of democrats to communist totalitarian corrupt nosey bastards?

darwin on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

My alma mater (Miami University) caved on this years ago. We were the Redskins, and, indeed, descendants of the Miami indian tribe (or most of them) had no problem with the school’s use of the name. The mascot, a tribal chief, was entirely dignified. In fact, I think the mascot by tradition had to be a student of Native American descent.

Oh, well. MU has been the Redhawks for at least two decades. Ugh.

More important, we’re $17 trillion in debt, Keystone’s not authorized, and nobody has spoken to the Benghazi survivors.

The Dems are clowns.

BuckeyeSam on March 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Washington Redskins

Washington Native Americans

Washington Members of the Tribal Nations! There I fixed it, can you @ssclowns pass a damn budget now.

D-fusit on March 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM

The Taxmen-you pay we play?

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You should be proud, of yourself, and of them.

As I get older, the anti-OU stuff has waned. I graduated from OU’s law school, back in the early ’80s, and, ya know, I had some good times down there. I look back at some of it, fondly.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Washington Scalpers

WryTrvllr on March 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Was the team name Redskins ever meant as anything other than a complete, total, 100% homage to native Indians? The Miami University of Ohio football team used to be the Miami Redskins, but they changed it to Redhawks in 1996. My high school football team is still called the Redskins.

/People are stupid

Paul-Cincy on March 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Bite your tounge, don’t give the rat bastards any ideas.

D-fusit on March 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I don’t think EHN really expects her proposed bill to go anywhere. This is just grandstanding.

Even if it did pass the House, Senate and get signed by the President, I doubt it would pass legal muster.

To wit:

The Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, paragraph 3 provides that: “No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law will be passed.”

“The Bill of Attainder Clause was intended not as a narrow, technical (and therefore soon to be outmoded) prohibition, but rather as an implementation of the separation of powers, a general safeguard against legislative exercise of the judicial function or more simply – trial by legislature.” U.S. v. Brown, 381 U.S. 437, 440 (1965).

“These clauses of the Constitution are not of the broad, general nature of the Due Process Clause, but refer to rather precise legal terms which had a meaning under English law at the time the Constitution was adopted. A bill of attainder was a legislative act that singled out one or more persons and imposed punishment on them, without benefit of trial. Such actions were regarded as odious by the framers of the Constitution because it was the traditional role of a court, judging an individual case, to impose punishment.” William H. Rehnquist, The Supreme Court, page 166.

“Bills of attainder, ex post facto laws, and laws impairing the obligations of contracts, are contrary to the first principles of the social compact, and to every principle of sound legislation. … The sober people of America are weary of the fluctuating policy which has directed the public councils. They have seen with regret and indignation that sudden changes and legislative interferences, in cases affecting personal rights, become jobs in the hands of enterprising and influential speculators, and snares to the more-industrious and less-informed part of the community.” James Madison, Federalist Number 44, 1788.

Grinch on March 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Tongue, damn it.

D-fusit on March 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

… we saw the NFL when it was meant to be watched.

It kinda sickens me, nowadays.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Yep, as one who grew up despising the Redskins, I find the attacks on them pathetic.

Haven’t cared for professional football in a long time.

The Sooners, and the Cowboys are pansies.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

The Washington Red-Inks.

birdhurd on March 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I always get a kick when liberals get ‘offended’ over something involving an ethnic group to which they do not belong. Here’s a hint Madame Delegate: Native Americans don’t need you!

Liam on March 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Actually, I think the Washington Redskins should quietly pack the trucks, and then, in the morning, announce from Huntsville that they are the Alabama Rebels.

M240H on March 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

OBAMA: Hey guys, we need a new shiny object.
HOUSE DEMS: Um… how about this old recycled shiny object?
OBAMA: That’ll do.

Marcola on March 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM

The Sooners, and the Cowboys are pansies.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

cozmo, damn you to hell, you woulda loved goin’ to oSu, when I was there. That is, if wadin’ in beer, up to your ankles, floats your boat.

And co-eds … lots and lots of good lookin’ co-eds.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

rbj on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

From what I’m told, as a formal noun it’s a soft C (the Boston Celtics, Glasgow’s Celtic FC), and an informal noun gets a hard C (celtic music, celtic folklore, etc.).

As for the Redskins…Been a Redskins fan all my life. I’d like to think that by now it’s so far from the racist term it began as that changing it is pointless. I dunno, just speaking for myself, I can’t bring myself to hear the name of a football team and automatically attach it to a racist term. If anything, this is probably the best way to defeat racist terms. Attach it to such a banal and pointless that it loses all context.

Sgt Steve on March 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I bet Elizabeth Warren is hot on this topic~!

ButterflyDragon on March 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Get a budget first, you dopes!

New name? Washington Cons or maybe the Washington Waste of Skins.

RovesChins on March 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Okay, we need a name contest to replace the Redskins. How about the Washington Nitwits, The Washington Communists, The Washington Seniles, The Washington Demented, The Washington Jackasses,,,,,give me some help here.

retiredeagle on March 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I bet Elizabeth Warren is hot on this topic~!

ButterflyDragon on March 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

She’s red with excitement!

RovesChins on March 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM

retiredeagle on March 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Could Political Pigs In Perpetuity fit on their helmets?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

cozmo, damn you to hell

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Been there, they call it Stillwater now. Do the coeds still graze on the field during off season?

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

How about the Washington Drunken Sailors? Or the Washington Big Spenders? Or the Washington Tax and Spenders? Or the Washington Regulators? I got a million on them.

Fred 2 on March 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

How about a compromise? The Redskins keep their name and change their mascot to a peanut. Nuts would be an appropriate mascot for DC.

Speechlesstx on March 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

How about the Washington Getthef**koutofourlives?

Too long maybe?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on March 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Grinch on March 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

It will pass, Roberts will just call it a tax!

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

They aren’t really ‘Native Americans’, they are Siberian-Americans. Let’s get that right first.

slickwillie2001 on March 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Don’t start that, Biden will claim we just want to put them back in Mukluks or something.

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Elizabeth Warren hardest hit.

John the Libertarian on March 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I bet Elizabeth Warren is hot on this topic~!

ButterflyDragon on March 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
She’s red with excitement!

RovesChins on March 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM

…Washington Warrens!

KOOLAID2 on March 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

…give me some help here.

retiredeagle on March 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Washington Senators. Then, when they leave Washington, they will go to a better place. And if that place is Arlington, it will definitely revive the rivalry. Brings me a smile just thinking about it.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The Washington Grifters.

Washington Embezzlers

Washington Pedos

Washington Sleazies

Washington Twits (you’re on your own to decide what their cheerleaders might be called)

Liam on March 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Haven’t cared for professional football in a long time.

The Sooners, and the Cowboys are pansies.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I can’t remember having so many really good laughs reading comments here.

Cozmo, are you an Eagles of Gints fan or something as revoltin as that? OU, OSU….pansies? Are you from the PAC-10? Don’t tell me Texas, or A&M?

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

A&M?

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Where men are men, and the steers are jittery.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It does. Why does it matter?

Archivarix on March 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Since the Constitution grants to Congress the power to set patent, trademark, and copyright law, why would this violate the Constitution?

Shump on March 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Washington Raccoons? Could make for a great logo. What with the mask and all it seems very appropriate for the character of so many NFL players as well as other similarities.

Mason on March 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

In view of the man in the White House, how about the messiahs?

Don L on March 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Washington FUBARs

Washington Savages

Washington Natives

DanMan on March 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Washington Thinskins

Liam on March 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Washington Robert Griffins 3

22044 on March 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Put this bill into Ryan’s budget. See how many of them vote for it then.

nerdbert on March 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM

A&M?

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Where men are men, and the steers are jittery.

cozmo on March 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Wifey’s from Texas and a life long A&M fan! I can hack it! But the SEC???? Ugh!That ought to stir something up!
Enjoyed the banter COzmo and OhEssYouCowboys! Getting close to Happy Hour!

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Constitutional experts: Does this violate the Constitution?

aunursa on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Are you serious…? Are you serious…???

/Pelosi

PointnClick on March 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I think they ought to remain the Redskins. However, as an effort at truth in advertising, since they reflect the occupants of our nation’s capitol, I think they should be required to change the logo. It should go from the Native American head with feather to a hammer and sickle. (And, maybe they should lighten the color a little to more closely match L’Internationale.)

GWB on March 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

In general, however…. So, the budget and deficit and such is all taken care of then? Good to know……..

GWB on March 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on March 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

That’s okay. My son lives in Duncan and on the better side of town they paint there allegiance next to their addresses on the curbs. OU outnumbers OSU significantly. I told my him he really wanted to tweak his neighbors he could put his dads school down (USC).

I am also a heretic. I am a UCLA fan instead of USC.

chemman on March 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

How about the Washington Bullets? That’s no longer taken.

Doughboy on March 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

How about the Washington Assault Weapons?

hepcat on March 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Shump on March 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Because while it might be argued that it is a generic law, it is most obviously and effectively targeted at a single person or organization. The Constitution forbids a law that singles a person or organization out in that manner.

Congress can pass a law which says “No one may drive their car on Tuesdays”, but they cannot pass a law which states, “Shump may not drive his/her car on Tuesdays.”

gravityman on March 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Lets change the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS first?

Hows about dat, eh ?

FlaMurph on March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well yeah, and the KC Chiefs, Atlanta Braves… and the 49ers conjures up memories of imperialist Manifest Destiny Gold Rush types.

ddrintn on March 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Here in North Dakota, UND had to get rid of their “Fighting Souix” nickname just last year. Apparently someone took offense to referencing the Souix as “fighting”. The especially odd part was the it WASN’T the Souix who were upset about it!

gravityman on March 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

gravityman on March 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

LOL, forget the fact that the Sioux were renowned fighters. A name like that would seem to be a tip of the hat more than anything.

ddrintn on March 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

The sequester must have opened up a lot of congressional free time.

JetBoy on March 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

tomshup on March 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

You are thinking of Billy Kilmer. Y.A. Tittle never played for the Redskins.

bw222 on March 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Central Michigan University is the Chippewas. The tribe protested to the NCAA when it wanted the school to drop the name in the 1990s. The tribe considered it an honor.

Don’t native Americans realize that liberals know what’s best for them?

bw222 on March 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You are thinking of Billy Kilmer. Y.A. Tittle never played for the Redskins.

bw222 on March 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Y.A. Tittle…isn’t he the guy in the famous photo who’s kneeling with blood running down his face?

ddrintn on March 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Yeah, it is…found it… Giants QB way back when.

ddrintn on March 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Good idea democrats, whitewash native americans right out of the public square!

That will show em you ain’t racist!

tom daschle concerned on March 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM