The week in bannings: Hugs, homemade treats, awards ceremonies, and Axe

posted at 3:21 pm on March 20, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Glenn Reynolds wondered in his USA Today column last week: Are public schools getting more insane? Pointing to the Pop-Tart gun case, the suspension of a little boy for playing cops and robbers, and the charging of a 5-year-old girl with making “terroristic threats” with a pink bubble gun, he says:

And that’s the problem with all of these cases. Our justification for putting massive amounts of taxpayer money into public schools is that they’re supposed to teach critical thinking. But stories like these — and they’re legion — suggest that the very people who are supposed to be teaching our kids how to think are largely incapable of critical thought themselves.

A Pop Tart gun, a finger gun, or a toy gun — even a pink one that shoots, gasp!, soap bubbles! — isn’t any danger to anyone. Nor is playing with toy guns a sign that a kid is mentally ill or dangerous. It’s a sign that a kid is a kid.

When schools and teachers react hysterically to such non-threats, they’re telling us one of two things: Either that they lack the ability to respond realistically to events or that they recognize that there’s not any sort of threat, but deliberately overreact in order to stigmatize even the idea of guns. The first is educational malpractice; the second is educational malpractice mixed with abuse of power. Neither inspires confidence in the educational system in which they appear.

Time for another round of stories from ban-happy bureaucrats. They never run dry.

Axe is banned in a Pennsylvania high school:

A Pennsylvania high school wants its students to cut back on the body spray.

Freedom High School in Bethlehem says one of its students was recently hospitalized for exposure to Axe Body Spray. Now, officials are asking students to stop using it as a cologne or fragrance while attending the school.

While I, as a sentient human being, am personally offended by Axe fragrances, I also do not have the right not to have my senses offended. I’m guessing the Axe allergy is rather rare and doesn’t require a blanket ban.

In Massachusetts, a principal fears an honors awards ceremony will hurt the feelings of those not earning honors:

A Massachusetts principal has been criticized for canceling his school’s Honors Night, saying it could be ‘devastating’ to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

MyFoxBoston.com reports that David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents last week of his plan to eliminate the event.

“The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients’ families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade-point average,” Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents, the station reported.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

In Maryland, hugs, homemade treats bite the dust while parental involvement is severely restricted.

New rules for visitors to St. Mary’s County public elementary schools ban hugs and homemade food to anyone other than a parent’s own child.

The guidelines, which are now in effect, limit the activities of some volunteers, school officials said, but are needed to ensure a safe environment.

A committee of several parents and principals from elementary schools in St. Mary’s County met four times last fall to review and recommend new best practices for schools to follow…

The new guidelines limit lunchtime and recess visits, ban handing out birthday invitations at school and prohibit visits during the school day by younger siblings.

“We think it’s the right balance between safety and parental involvement,” said Kelly Hall, executive director of elementary schools and Title I.

She said that elementary principals had reported many issues related to school visitors.

“At the same time, parents were expressing some concerns,” Hall said.

Parents should not approach teachers for a conference while visiting, according to the rules. Those meetings should be scheduled ahead of time.

Siblings of students are not allowed to visit the school with the parent during the school day. It was unclear this week if exceptions would be made for student performances where parents and others are invited.

And, then there’s this, from bureaucrats who have moved beyond local public schools into child services. A Facebook photo of an 11-year-old with a legally owned rifle prompted an anonymous phone call to a child protective services hotline and allegedly, a home visit by law enforcement officials without warrants:

The young man in the photo is the 11-yr-old son of Shawn Moore. The gun is a .22 rifle, a copy of the AR-15, but a 22 caliber. The photo was posted on Facebook by a proud father. That Facebook posting apparently triggered an anonymous call to New Jersey’s Department of Youth and Family Services (DYFS). On Friday night, March 15th, two representatives from the state’s social services office (along with four local police officers) came to the Moore home and demanded to see the family’s firearms.

According to Moore’s lawyer, Evan Nappen (an attorney with considerable expertise in NJ’s very strict gun laws), the situation was “outrageous.”

Beware of your Facebook photos and pastry sculptures, people. It’s a dangerous world out there. You never know when you’ll run into a cloud of Axe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

First they came for the body spray…

Jackalope on March 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

From the party that brought you participation ribbons…preceded by unicorns, rainbows and pixie dust..

hillsoftx on March 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

… it could be ‘devastating’ to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

“Do or do not! There is no ‘try’!”
-Yoda

Mr. Bingley on March 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

There is a lot of insanity going around: It is like a crazy sale!

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

While I, as a sentient human being, am personally offended by Axe fragrances,

But…but, it’s catnip for women, and the more I spray on, the more nekkid nubile women offer marriage.
That’s why I use three cans a day.

LincolntheHun on March 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

This should be a weekly feature – I’m sure there’s no lack of material!

22044 on March 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

The New Jersey case is especially disturbing. Maybe Kris Kristiekreme can lay off secret meetings with Romney and can focus on keeping his state law enforcement in line with the Constitution.

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I get more compliments from the ladies from my Axe spray and body washes than from my expensive colognes.

Mdbills484 on March 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

There’s a commenter here named Axe. Glad he wasn’t banned…

O_O

22044 on March 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I’m an Old Spice guy, myself. When I use it.

22044 on March 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Bummer; I thought this was a thread on HA trolls being officially shunned. Or maybe an end to incessant ridiculous threads advocating SSM and amnesty.

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

It’s only going to get better. Common Core curriculum. http://www.thenewamerican.com/reviews/opinion/item/13412-whos-behind-the-common-core-curriculum

This program and/or Obamacare will be instituting/allowing special school “health” clinics for your children… and even though you’re the parent, you won’t be allowed to access any information obtained by the school thru these clinics.

All the more glad we’re homeschooling for as long as we can.

Eventually we homeschoolers will be criminals since a Federal judge says it’s not a right.

Logus on March 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No more learning life lessons.

rbj on March 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I suffer terrible migraines due to certain colognes and perfumes that are poured on individuals. A mild scent isn’t a problem, but people that bathe in that stuff should think about how they impact others around them.

Granted, we live in a society now where people really don’t give a damn about others around them, so maybe in a case such as this, where someone is hospitalized due to it, then perhaps a ban at school is appropriate. Would you really trust your child’s health to other kids in a high school? I wouldn’t.

ButterflyDragon on March 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Are public schools getting more insane?

No, but the administrators who are making ignorant rules are.

BacaDog on March 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

When I was in high school, Polo cologne was the rage. That stuff stinks. In fact I find that most colognes and perfumes stink. I find them almost as bad as cigarette smoke in a confined area, especially as many people – especially teens – have this idea that more is better.

Hint… if you’re putting more on, you actually smell worse. Go take a bath.

Cologne and perfume was originally meant to mask stinky B.O. anyhow.

Logus on March 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I wouldn’t eat any homemade treats from a strangers house nowadays.

No more bake sale treats for me.

portlandon on March 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

A couple of drops on the wrists &/or on the neck, if you use cologne. Anything more is overkill.

22044 on March 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

All of this boils down to indoctrinating the tots into absolute obedience to authority.

Don’t question … just do.

It’s the life-lesson for Utopia.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Mdbills484 on March 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

That’s why it’s GOT to be banned – it makes wymynz so frisky they get nekkid and jump on the guy wearing it. I saw it in a commercial so it must be true….

My Dad used to say “I just take a shower once a month, whether I need it or not…”

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

First they came for the body spray…

Jackalope on March 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I’ll admit to faking a severe perfume allergy when I see the perfume ladies at the mall department stores. When I see them I cover my mouth and nose and say in a panicked voice, stay away, I am allergic. I’m not really, I just think it’s funny to scare them. I do find them obnoxious though, spraying perfume all willy nilly, just as they would find me obnoxious if they knew I was faking it.

Fallon on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

When they complete public schools maybe the kids will at least know how to spread peanut butter.

docflash on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Axe has nothing on Hai Karate!

By the way, the Shawn Moore should have told the cops to get bent without a warrant.

freedomfirst on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’m trying to parse that one.

So … the argument is that parental involvement makes the school more unsafe?

PackerBronco on March 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM

docflash on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

You’ve heard of gun free zones, right?

There are also peanut free zones. Try again.

freedomfirst on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Not without sympathy, and… where’s the line? Do we change anything and everything is a single person/student has a health issue? Or at some level is it the unfortunate responsibility of that student with the health issue, and their family, to make other arrangements for their isolated case?

Do we ban 2,500 student families from using everything but a specific detergent on their clothing, because the other detergents have an ingredient in it that makes 1 student go to the hospital because of allergies? Does a school have to rip out all of the carpeting and put in tile/wood because 1 student has an allergy to something in the carpet/pad/glue?

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I love how the story about the Facebook pic is sure to mention its only a .22 caliber rifle?

What fracking difference does the caliber matter?

catmman on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Mdbills484 on March 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

either quit being there at last call or quit asking girls on the schoolyard if they want some candy

Doctor Zhivago on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

We once had a lady interview for a secretarial position who came in wearing so much perfume nobody in the area could breathe. We had to open doors all over (the windows could not be opened) for a couple hours to disperse the stench.
Luckily, she did not get the job…..

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Doctor Zhivago on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

LOL – that’s cold….

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Peanut butter is also banned in many schools…

Allergies, down ha know…

catmman on March 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

When they complete public schools maybe the kids will at least know how to spread peanut butter [insert different substance].

docflash on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Peanut allergies have forced the banning of peanut butter.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

docflash on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Nope; that’s banned in many schools, too. Allegies, you know.

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

lol, too slow on the peanut butter reply, I see!

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

freedomfirst on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

According to what I read, he did.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

*WHOA* This “axe” stuff will it work on over-weight middle-aged guyz, for getting frisky nubile wymenz?

That is certainly cheaper than a Corvette and hair plugs….

JFKY on March 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Axe body spray was invented by women to identify douchebags.

RDH on March 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

While I, as a sentient human being, am personally offended by Axe fragrances,

**cleans out former collection as we speak**

ted c on March 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

A few years back our local high school discontinued the practice of keeping track of class rank. They wouldn’t compile it nor would they provide it to colleges along with transcripts as has been tradition. I attended a meeting to argue against the change, but the decision was already made. The primary reason given by any of the proponents during the meeting came from a teacher who lamented that he had observed two girls who were friends have a falling out when one had managed to pass the other in class rank. No word from the teacher on why he could not have seized the ‘teachable moment’ with those two students and reasoned with them about why their behavior was silly and immature, and how they faced a future in which their performances would be measured against their peers and they needed to learn to deal with it in a better way.

mdavt on March 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Public education has taken on the presence of a Dictator amidst our civilization.

We have government, we have law enforcement as a part of that to keep us in line with our laws, then we have this creepy “thing” called the public education system that is slowly but surely stepping into our very thoughts and ideas and emotional needs and threatening us with the Gulag if we don’t comply.

It’s like the Borg or something. Seriously.

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

This country is too stupid to survive.

CDeb on March 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Banning mothers from bringing siblings of students to the school at any time? Like in a carpool line of for a teacher meeting? Now why isn’t this a war on women and how can I ban toddlers in my waiting room without moms saying the hell with you, you pay for the babysitter then.

Marcus on March 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I wouldn’t eat any homemade treats from a strangers house nowadays.

No more bake sale treats for me.

portlandon on March 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It has occurred to me that if guns were banned that poisonings would greatly increase. In my paranoid moments I think it’s a deliberate effort by the Democrats to erode human trust, so that we will depend more on the state.

thuja on March 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Axe is banned in a Pennsylvania high school:

Do this mean that children can’t axe no questions?

Oldnuke on March 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Personally, I’m in complete agreement with this rule…providing that we include teachers as well.

“Sorry Miss Jones, the children love you and you’re highly qualified but since you’re a member of a union, our rules prohibit any type of awards. Therefore, you will not win the ‘Teacher of the Month’ award. We know you understand.”

Kingfisher on March 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

What fracking difference does the caliber matter?

catmman on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Well, hey – it really doesn’t matter. Regardless of caliber, it’s one of them really SCARY looking black guns with a pistol grip and other scary looking cosmetic features….

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

But will they ban students from wearing their pants so that they are practically hanging off their rear ends?

Of course they won’t! That would be raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist!!!!!

pilamaye on March 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Delete your personal Facebook account is lesson one. Two, do as i do by creating a FB account with a false name, false pic and no friends. FB has create links to news, business and what not, but keep everything non personal.

MoreLiberty on March 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

As a retired teacher I would pull out an appointment book and schedule the parent for a conference. It was a win-win. The parent got to schedule a private conference while at the same time minimizing class disruptions. The above is one of those loss of critical thinking by the school leaders and parents.

chemman on March 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

In the spirit of those who support smoking bans in privately owned establishments – or even in outdoor areas – because they hate the smell and want to avoid the miniscule risk that walking through a cloud of cigarette smoke will give them instant lung cancer, I fully support the Axe ban.

Why?

People who wear Axe smell nauseating. I do not wish to be subjected to that sickly-sweet stench, and I do not want to risk developing a potentially fatal allergy to it that might cause me to keel over and die. Who knows? It may be more dangerous than second-hand smoke.

So we should implement sin taxes on Axe products, publicly shame anyone who continues to wear it by making nasty faces at them and (loudly) pointing out how much they stink, and ban their entry into public areas such as restaurants and bars. Oh, and a public ad campaign, financed by the sin taxes on the products themselves…with any leftovers possibly going to fund Obamacare for kiddies.

DRayRaven on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Last week, the Oklahoma City Public School System adopted a mandatory uniform policy.

Of course, that same school system is now Urban, and therefore – is even more in need of the indoctrination necessities of life – right … plantation owners?

It’s all about uniformity. The destruction of the individual.

It’s all about obedience.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

…here!…let me fix this!…this is prolley what REALLY happened!

Freedom High School in Bethlehem says one of its students was recently hospitalized for exposure to snorting Axe Body Spray….spraying it directlty into the nostrils

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It cost a pretty penny, but I broke my 14-year-old’s Axe obsession–I bought him a nice cologne for Christmas (Bleu por Homme by Chanel).

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I should clarify while I was still teaching that is what I would do.

chemman on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Idiots in SD put a school on lockdown…for spotting…get ready…a wild cat.

In times past this would have been used as a learning experience, for all.

The land is full of idiotic sissies, most from the left, but many from the right too.

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Though I use cologne (sparingly) I’ve found that nothing makes women want to chase me more than soap and shampoo used at least daily and brushing my teefes more often than that.

viking01 on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I’m probably very late to this party, but scents in general are sometimes banned in workplaces, especially health care settings. It’s not so much the scent (although Axe can be offensive on its own), but the amount people think they have to pour on themselves.

There are a lot of people out there with allergies and issues with strong scents.

Like everything else, people with no sense of “moderation” ruin it for everyone else.

kim roy on March 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

…The primary reason given by any of the proponents during the meeting came from a teacher who lamented that he had observed two girls who were friends have a falling out when one had managed to pass the other in class rank…

mdavt on March 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Remarkable. Even complaining about such a resentment in the past would have been reprimanded, “we aren’t friends any more because she got a higher grade than I did, waahh.”

It’s difficult to believe that any school would indulge such pitiful self-centeredness as that.

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Now see, that is what good parents do

Doctor Zhivago on March 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Axe body spray was invented by women to identify douchebags.

RDH on March 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

…so a lot of trolls here… bathe with the stuff?

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but you just get a sense reading this stuff – and it’s been going on for decades – they are purposefully integrating collectivism into children’s consciousness.

They are doing away with awarding individual achievement. They advocate grade less courses, insisting on simple go, no-go standards, reducing or restricting parental involvement, everyone gets a trophy, etc…

catmman on March 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Yes, you’re right.

I slid down the side of a mountain top once because I ran into a bear at the ridgeline. Got up, dusted my levi’s off and walked home where I ate dinner with the family and never talked about the bear, or my slide all the way down the mountain, which I survived. I mean, that was that, over and done, I made it home.

When did the education system and our nation become quite such “idiotic sissies”? It’s like we’re nurturing failure all over the place and punishing every last good and excellent thing.

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

While I, as a sentient human being, am personally offended by Axe fragrances

But not Juan Williams.

Priorities.

SirGawain on March 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It is what you recive when you first decide to meet commies like the Democrats half way.

They think you by meeting them half way that you conceed the whole street and take it over.

Nixon, Bush I, Bush II, did so and they took those streets.

Others like Mitch McConnell, John Bonehead, McCain, Romney, etal have given over other streets to them and now they drive the tax collection trucks in both lanes.

If the CO2 fraud of the Climate Change con is not removed from the road way we are all in for a road system that only accepts ox carts.

Fight back with the truth.

It is now or never.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

DRayRaven on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It’s also dangerous having all them horny wymynz jumping on you…..

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

There’s probably more out there that are at minimum uncomfortable and more likely nauseous and migrained that don’t say anything for a number of reasons.

It’s like everything else – why we can’t have nice things because a few morons can’t have a little common sense.

Blame them, not the victims of someone else’s stupidity and excess.

kim roy on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

It’s all about uniformity. The destruction of the individual.

It’s all about obedience.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

As a worker in some of the public schools in Gangland here, uniforms keep arguments to a minumum over whether what Luis wore to school today is a fashion statement, ethnic pride, or a gang sign. If it’s not khaki pants and the right color of polo shirt, Luis isn’t supposed to be wearing it.

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This country is too stupid obedient to survive.

CDeb on March 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I love your thought.

But, may I add mine, to yours?

Of course, they may be one and the same thing.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

…so a lot of trolls here… bathe with the stuff?

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Axe is like a skunk, you don’t have to be around it long to smell like crap for weeks on end

Doctor Zhivago on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

How is anyone getting into accredited colleges and universities if they can’t provide a transcript of grades, evaluations, rendered competitively on some overall scale other institutions can use to evaluate competency of the applicant?

Or have colleges and universities stopped “grading” students, too? Everyone’s given, what — can’t hug them, that’s banned, too.

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

“Do or do not! There is no ‘try’!”
-Yoda

Mr. Bingley on March 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I came from an eff-up household and got very few grade reports in HS that didn’t have at least one d or F on them. Spawn-on the other hand-was inducted to NHS the first year that he was eligible, and graduated HS with high honors. The recognitions that he received for his academic achievements were deserved. Yeah-I grew up in a horrid situation that certainly had a bearing on my grades…that I also deserved.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My wife dabs some English Leather on me in the mornings. Or she dabs nothing at all.

Wait, that doesn’t work quite like the commercials did…

The Rogue Tomato on March 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I understand, completely.

But, it still comes down to one thing – you and your parents can’t dress you – we will dress you.

It’s just that the Urban tots give the dictators so much more reason to dictate.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

The 1930s were the start of it.

The 60s were the ‘movement’.

Since the 30s, on-going, but ever since 2000 the regression of ‘civilization’ is obvious, and very specific in the US, the last holdout.

Watch Cyprus. It will take over the entire world and that’s it.

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Now see, that is what good parents do

Doctor Zhivago on March 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Because it’s expensive, he won’t bathe in it, and it smells fifty times better.

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Your wife is beating you with Leather Goods from the United Kingdom, do you have a “safe” word or should we call the Authorities?

JFKY on March 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Doctor Zhivago on March 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Spawn wears Axe on occasion. I’m not fond of it-but supposedly, nice college girls-he’s in college-think that he smells nice. *shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The part that amazes me is the school visitor policy–which I know is already a policy in many schools. One would assume that schools and county politicians would encourage parents to not only show an interest in their child’s education, but also encourage parents to know what is going on in the classrooms from a safety standpoint. When a parent is putting an infant or young child in childcare, EVERYBODY encourages random visits–even when deciding on which childcare facility to choose. The same is true for choosing pediatricians. I find it amazing that an elementary or middle school would then discourage and to some extent prohibit parents from taking the same measures to protect their children in that environment.

Conservative in NOVA on March 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

…so a lot of trolls here… bathe with the stuff?

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

They probably huff it too.

CurtZHP on March 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Um…eerrr, no warrants? Isn’t that a little illegal, even for law enforcement? I know, I know, it says “unreasonable” search and seizure and the cops felt they were being perfectly reasonable. I disagree, but that’s just me! I know I would be filing a very large lawsuit right about now!

Boats48 on March 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

…you just get a sense reading this stuff – and it’s been going on for decades – they are purposefully integrating collectivism into children’s consciousness.

catmman on March 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Yes, you’re right. And it is an organized front that is responsible for what’s taking place and it is as you suggest it is and why (not your imagination or “a conspiracy theory”).

The DoE (Dept. of Education) has become a monster of a dictatorial method of social-molding. I realize that there are some people, some areas, in our country where people are what I’d call “retrogressive” as to social graces and civilized behaviors, so public education has had to intervene if to protect it’s employees and funding, but our nation overall has been unduly disadvantaged by a failing few. EVERYone should not be having to fail because some people must or won’t succeed.

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

More tales of the clinically insane:

Last year, a 25 year old father of two in my hometown was taken into custody and both children handed over to child services because his 6 year old son had the audacity to draw a picture at school that had his father holding a gun.

The parents did not see their kids for three days!

can_con on March 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

MKH doesn’t like Axe. Who knew?

Must find another body spray! D@mn it!

D-fusit on March 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Getting into a competitive college is not about grades and class ranking any more – it’s about skin color and/or athletic ability.
In fact lower grades are better because the college gets more money by making kids take remedial classes to catch up.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I understand, completely.

I assume you willnever send your child to a PAROCHIAL school, then…because they, too, dress your child for you.

My Life Partner attended Catholic Schools, and there is a lot to be said for uniforms….no gang signs, no Polo Shirts, No “But I need Mudd Jeans”….

It doesn’t end the Keeping Up With the Jones’ as much as you might think, becasue some kids have NEW uniforms and some folks have fairly obviously Hand-Me-Down Uniforms….

But overall the Partner thougth they were worth it.

JFKY on March 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

…so a lot of trolls here… bathe with the stuff?

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Can’t you smell it through your monitor? It’s even stronger than the smell of stale Cheetos and rotting Kleenex that comes off HotAir trolls.

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Must find another body spray! D@mn it!

D-fusit on March 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I think we all thought MKH would be like one of those hypnotized axe women in the commercials! Way to shatter our dreams MKH!

can_con on March 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Here’s the hazelhatchery part…. When I was a kid, I was allergic to about everything. This was before shots, etc. Guess who’s allergy free? Never had a problem after my very early teens.

katy the mean old lady on March 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Boats48 on March 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It might’ve just been a knock and talk – or a consensual contact, which stopped at the doorway. Trust me, that kind of “home visit” would’ve infuriated me. But, it might not have been a 4th Amendment issue – just a Statist one.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Boats48 on March 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

You really need to get to the full article. The guy did not let them in his house, did not let them search his gun safe, and when the social services b!tch wouldn’t identify herself or show any ID the guy tried to snap a photo of her and she turned and ran away. At the point the cops basically just left. But social services is apparently still harrassing the guy.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Cologne and perfume was originally meant to mask stinky B.O. anyhow.

Logus on March 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

They can mask our President?! Whoa… gotta buy me some…

Archivarix on March 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM

a home visit by law enforcement officials without warrants:

Um…eerrr, no warrants? Isn’t that a little illegal, even for law enforcement?

No, the Cops can “visit” your home anytime, with or without a warrant. Just like I can….they just can’t search your house without one or your permission.

Sorry to pedantic, but before we get all “Start the R3volution” here, let’s be clear.

And the story i read said, they DID NOT ENER THE HOUSE, because the husband and the lawyer denied them permission, via ‘phone.

But YES, the Police and CPS can show up at your door and they don’t need a warrant….there may be limits about what they can DO, but they don’t need your permission to stand, for a while, on your door step.

JFKY on March 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I’m going out on a limb and say this is the least egregious one. If this statement is true, they *asked*, they didn’t ban. That would be a new one for most of these folks.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

That could explain the reaction of some other commenters to you on here, arthur.

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Because, if … even one, Midas, even one!

freedomfirst on March 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

According to what I read, he did.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

But, politely. I probably would have ended up being less polite at some point.

What fracking difference does the caliber matter?

catmman on March 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Oh, dear Lord, don’t open *that* can of worms, again! Arthur, you hush! Ssh! lol

GWB on March 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

JFKY on March 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Sending a child to a parochial school is voluntary, on the parents’ part. Accordingly, they are agreeing to the restrictions imposed by the parochial school – including the requirement of a uniform.

That has nothing to do with a child who has to attend a public school.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I bet a year without electricity would straighten a lot of our social ills out.

A nation that would have to exist and care for themselves without electrical devices, gas pumps (function by electricity unless you can rig them otherwise), food stuffs (no gas, no tractors eventually, etc., have to return to using mules, oxen and horses and accomplish all that plowing, seeding, harvesting by manual labor)…no televisions, no computers (once the batteries run out, networks unavailable, too), no refrigerators, no street lights, no…

Seriously, after watching DOOMSDAY PREPPERS earlier this morning and seeing the family who has taken to rural Kansas to live a life completely off the grid — life about as I described above in second paragraph — I nearly envied them.

Lourdes on March 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Our trolls use Axe? Must be…wait for it…

ObamaAxe

before they use their Obamaphones to call Axelrod. Heh!

22044 on March 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Soon public schools will be providing a bubble for each student. Each student will spend the school day in a personalized protective bubble, from the time they walk through the door of the school until they leave at the end of the school day. It will protect them from exposure to anything of an audio and/or visual nature that Big Brother deems harmful .

farsighted on March 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It’s one thing to say, “Bobby Smith is allergic to ABCXYZ, can y’all please refrain from using it around him?” Most families are pretty understanding. But noooo, that’s “stigmatizing.”

Sekhmet on March 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM

mdavt on March 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I taught at a local private high school last year and with every homework assignment, test, and overall average I included a number on each student’s paper indicating their ranking in the class. The rankings were private and a student could either share or not share their ranking as he or she wished.

If anything it spurred them on to improve themselves. There was a group of about 5 that we’re locked in a struggle to be #1 and they greatly enjoyed the competition. There was also competition among the other students to move up in the ranks even when #1 was out of their reach.

I saw absolutely no downside. No I suppose the student who was ranked last may have been unhappy, but he/she would not have been happy in any case. And it made even that student’s minor triumph (yeah! I wasn’t last on this test!!) a bit of an achievement.

PackerBronco on March 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM

GWB on March 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Hey hey hey – I’ll have you know I upped it to once a week – whether I need it or not….
I upped my standards, so….. you know the rest… ;)

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM