Mark Sanford takes plurality in SC special election for congressional seat, now faces runoff

posted at 11:21 am on March 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

Nothing says “let’s change Washington” like re-electing a disgraced former Congressman who vowed to serve only three terms before tossing his hat in the ring again this year.

With all precincts reporting, unofficial results show Sanford received about 37 percent of the vote in the southern coastal district. It was unclear who he would face in the April 2 GOP runoff.

Former Charleston County councilman Curtis Bostic held a slim lead over state Sen. Larry Grooms for second place. But the margin is so narrow, less than one percent, that it will trigger an automatic recount. Teddy Turner, the son of media mogul Ted Turner, trailed Bostic and Grooms.

The eventual Republican candidate will square off in the May 7 general election against Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the sister of comedian Stephen Colbert. She won the Democratic primary for the seat, handily defeating perennial candidate Ben Frasier.

Actually, there won’t be an automatic recount between the second- and third-place finishers. Grooms, who finished with 12 percent, conceded this morning to Bostic, who finished with 13. Question for South Carolina politcos: Is there even a remote chance that Bostic will pull the upset on Sanford in the runoff? It’s not impossible for a candidate who finishes second in the first round of the primary to win the election. David Dewhurst beat Ted Cruz by 10 points in the first round in Texas last year; Cruz ended up crushing him in the runoff by 16, partly because the anti-Dewhurst vote consolidated behind him (and partly, of course, because he became a cause celebre among grassroots conservatives nationally). Sanford had way, way, way more name recognition than any of his opponents last night and still couldn’t get to 40 percent, so there’s obviously some anti-Sanford sentiment out there.

Either way, though, don’t worry about Colbert’s sister in the general election. She’ll have plenty of money for ads but the district hasn’t elected a Democrat in more than 30 years. Last night she won her primary with a bit less than 16,000 votes against a single opponent who barely charted. Sanford won the Republican primary with nearly 4,000 more votes than that despite facing a field of 15 candidates, some of them credible. Overall, more than 40,000 Republicans turned out to vote. The general election is a foregone conclusion. Is the runoff, though?

Comments

I live in South Carolina – this makes me sick.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The general election is a foregone conclusion. Is the runoff, though?

Hope not. The guy makes my skin crawl.

LukeinNE on March 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM

“I do not travel the Appalachian Trail often..

..but when I do, I only bang gals from Argentina..

..Stay thirsty my Friend!”

ToddPA on March 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

But the real question is, what is AP doing up well before the crack of noon?

JusDreamin on March 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

You seen the perks for US Congresscreatures these days?

You’d be crazy not to try and grab ‘em.

Good Lt on March 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I believe I asked this months ago, but it bears repeating. Is this really the best the GOP can do in this district(or any district for that matter)? Seriously? I thought we held ourselves to higher standards than the Democrat Party. And I don’t wanna hear any crap about redemption or second chances. Dereliction of duty is unforgivable IMO. Then again, considering that’s Congress’ MO these days, Sanford will fit right in.

Doughboy on March 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Go f*ck yourself, Sanford.

rrpjr on March 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

..Stay thirsty my Friend!”

ToddPA on March 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My first laugh of the day.

rrpjr on March 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Well, the tea parties are strong in SC. I bet that this becomes a stage upon which they can show that the tea party is not only alive but alive and well.

platypus on March 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Save the Strum and Drang for the Dems.
Ya, he’s kinda skeezy, and I’d prefer Bostic, but if Sanford ends up being the guy, don’t give the Dems extra ammo to try and nationalize Sanford as the face of the party.

LincolntheHun on March 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

These dudes just can’t stay off the public nipple. Seriously, do a couple of terms and then GO AWAY. Pump gas or start a ranch or raise snakes in your bathtub, whatever, just GO AWAY.

Bishop on March 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Sanford needs 26% of the votes of the 50% who voted for someone other than him or Bostic the first time (37 + 13 = 50). Unless there are some strong negatives against Bostic, I don’t see that happening. All of those people knew full well who Sanford was, and voted for someone else.

BuzzCrutcher on March 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

What’s appalling is that Mark Sanford has no shame in what he did to his family. Elliott Spitzer is actually a slight notch above this guy – which is insane to believe anyone could be that gross!

I read he asked Jenny Sanford to help his campaign – that means he is more clueless than the clowns in Congress right now — such a low standard to pass.

Mangofish26 on March 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

More proof that the GOP is slowly becoming the DNC.

portlandon on March 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

ROFL! Personally, I can’t wait to see Stephen Colbert endorse a Busch in an election! I think liberal minds will explode like popcorn across the nation! :)

(And yes I know they’re unrelated… but how many will think that when hearing him mention it?)

dominigan on March 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Breaking News: Will Folks has admitted to having an affair with Mark Sanford.

portlandon on March 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Hey, big props to Sanford for giving political cover to Anthony Weiner and Elliot Spitzer while satisfying his incurable urge to live his ugly life in the public spotlight. It’s not often you get a win-win like that.

TexasDan on March 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Sandford not only cheated on his wife and family, he also lied to the people of his state and misused public funds to finance his relationship with his Argentinian mistress.

Hopefully he will lose the run-off.

bw222 on March 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM

More proof that the GOP is slowly becoming the DNC.

portlandon on March 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

…sleaze sells!

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Mangofish26 on March 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

What’s appalling is that a plurality of the Congressional district doesn’t see the problem here.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM

They get the representation they deserve.

22044 on March 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM

During that time, has he divorced his wife for some South American chookie-chookie?

I’m willing to give the underdog a chance here. Perhaps less experience is more experience, if you get my drift….

unclesmrgol on March 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Take a hike Mark.This shows you he is just another pig at the trough. Throw them all out!

chicken thief on March 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Further evidence that the GOP is a dead party walking, behaving more like Democrats every day.

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Doughboy on March 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Redemption and second chances do have a role in this little drama. But that really has nothing to do with rewarding this douchebag with job in DC.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM

But the real question is, what is AP doing up well before the crack of noon?

JusDreamin on March 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

… and not posting a same sex marriage or illegal immigration thread, replete with dubious polls of support to boot!

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Is Sanford receiving backing and money from the Republican Senatorial Committee in DC? If so, that is truly disgusting. For them to support this guy after what he did as governor would be inexcusable.

KickandSwimMom on March 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I would rather a Dem wins than this piece of trash Sanford. And even Erick Erickson from Red State, Mr. Anti Establishment, heartily endorsed Sanford.

Jack_Burton on March 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

“never have our problems been so big and our leaders so small about sums it up I think.

unseen on March 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

yep, that’s Ed’s job in the morning, Allah’s at night.

DanMan on March 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM

“What I want to know from people who watch the state is whether there’s enough to propel Bostic to victory. He’s a lawyer and a former Marine, is popular among evangelicals and home-schoolers, and founded a nonprofit that does charity work for people under oppressive regimes but his experience in government is limited to two terms on the Charleston city council. Will all of that get him to 51 percent against a two-term governor, three-term Congressman, and once-upon-a-time potential presidential nominee, even with anti-Sanfordites turning out? I’m skeptical but willing to be corrected.”

AP, There are only a couple of negatives in the above. One is that Bostic is a lawyer, however, we can overlook that by virtue of his being a Marine and that he had two terms as a City Council member and all his other good works in the community. Another negative is that you give credence to the experience of Mark Sanford, a philandering, lying political hack! Bostic can and probably will win.

tomshup on March 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM

But the real question is, what is AP doing up well before the crack of noon?

JusDreamin on March 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Midas on March 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

The way SSM supporters cite abominations like Kim Kardashian and pols who are outed for adulterous trysts as reasons why ‘traditional marriage has failed us,’ this story sorta fits the mold of promoting the GayGas agenda.

Myron Falwell on March 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM

unseen on March 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Sanford was definitely… well… ‘compensating’ for something, that’s for darn sure.

Myron Falwell on March 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM

There’s only one thing Sanford needs to guanrantee victory….

Dancing with the Stars!

You know I’m right.

Curtiss on March 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I honestly thought Sanford was a Democrat…

Time Lord on March 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I honestly thought Sanford was a Democrat…

Time Lord on March 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

If he WAS a Dem, his behavior would have been a great résumé enhancement.

Myron Falwell on March 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

There’s only one thing Sanford needs to guanrantee victory….

Dancing with the Stars!

You know I’m right.

Curtiss on March 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

With the runoff in early May? Too little time (and probably talent) though it would be fascinating to see how well Sanford can dance the Argentine tango.

In any case, this calls for the big guns. Get the Honey Boo Boo endorsement STAT! Because clearly a plurality of the Congressional district wasn’t paying attention when he was governor.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

A Democrat in the seat for 2 years might be better than having Sanford drag down conservatives in Congress with his high profile for many years.

sauldalinsky on March 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

sauldalinsky on March 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Closer to 20 months. But conservatives are already being dragged down by McCant, Grahamnesty, Bohenor, Can’tor, McConnell, Christie, Portman, etc. It’s just same-ol, same-ol…

Myron Falwell on March 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

As a devoted outdoorsman, I think it’s time we had more hikers in Congress. We need more politicians who can appreciate the natural beauties of the AT.

Time Lord on March 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Blech.

SarahW on March 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

And here’s the link to contribute to Curtis Bostic.

M240H on March 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Time Lord

This is a Moby, if you google his posts.

sauldalinsky on March 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM

… and twenty bucks just went to Bostic. BTW, his campaign webste is “stopspending.com”.

M240H on March 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

“Are you guys ready to change things in Washington D.C.?”

Yes, which is why sending another adulterer to Washington D.C. wouldn’t change things there.

rukiddingme on March 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Hey dumb dumb……..leave. Just leave now.

Any chance we can get some out of state Tea Party support to the poor folks in that district?

Or perhaps a Palin endorsement? (Of Bostic I mean)

SgtSVJones on March 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

platypus on March 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

The real reason many here hate him.
Tea Party wins GOPe loses.

Steveangell on March 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM

from Red State, Mr. Anti Establishment, heartily endorsed Sanford.

Jack_Burton on March 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

As if I needed another reason to want Sanford to lose…

alchemist19 on March 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM

And I thought just Democrat voters had their _______ up their ________.

ShAfRiCkInZaM!!!

PappyD61 on March 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Maybe he heard about Senator Baby Bob Menendez Dominican trips and wants some of the action.

“……..ahhhhh yeah, I’m thinkin Congress!!”

PappyD61 on March 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Here’s a scary thought……

…..if BEYONCE was the Democrat nominee for President, do you think the gop could field a candidate that could beat her?

…yeah, me too.

PappyD61 on March 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Probably not, since this is a race for the House, not the Senate.

cptacek on March 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I give Sanford a 0 for ethics, a 0 for honesty, and a 0 for performance in office.

But I give him an 8 for taste in ladies. His wife and mistress are both winners.

Jaibones on March 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Sanford DID only serve three terms, you idiot – and came home and retired to his real estate business until Republicans called for him to run for Governor.

I know you “establishment” types love your corruption and business as usual and hate to see anyone with a reform agenda, but why not point out who among the other 17 candidates can claim to be a conservative reformer? None in the SC legislature, that is one of the most corrupt and incestuous bodies in the country. Teddy Turner, son of Ted the Commie, and a shady character in his own right?

Adjoran on March 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Why must this happen? What is wrong with the Palmetto state, first Grahamnesty and now this?

alwaysfiredup on March 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Probably not, since this is a race for the House, not the Senate.

cptacek on March 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Thanks for the correction. However, I would still like to know if he is being supported with money from the GOP in DC. In other words, are they actively backing him??

KickandSwimMom on March 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Voters in the party of STUPID never fail to live down to their low IQ.

TeaPartyNation on March 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Okay! I voted for Lt. Gov. Dewhurst! TWICE! Ms. Palin told me which way the wind was blowing and I gave her the raspberry: Pfffppff! Yet somebody (Allahpundit) SOMEbody always shames me with my typical RINO-squish weenie-ness.

Well I shake my fist at these humiliations and I say FIE!!

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Here is a link to Curtis Bostic’s campaign website where we can all learn more about him:

He looks like a very impressive candidate to me!

And be sure to read the note from his wife Jenny that provides their family’s personal perspective on the sanctity of life . (Note: Have a tissue close by to wipe away tears.)

Now fellow HotAirians, let’s get to work to increase Curtis Bostic’s name recognition, so he can win this election against “He, whose name causes great embarassment.”

wren on March 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I thought he’d already been run off.

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Guess SC Pubs. have gone bat chit crazy. They will reelect that Dem. lite Nancy Gramnesty, as well.

they lie on March 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM