Magpul: If Hickenlooper signs gun-control bill, we’re outta here

posted at 11:21 am on March 19, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Two weeks ago, they were merely considering their options.  Late last night, though, the executives at Colorado-based Magpul made it official on their Facebook page.  If Governor John Hickenlooper signs the gun-control bill that limits magazine capacities — their core business — they will leave Colorado for friendlier venues and take hundreds of jobs with them (via Instapundit):

Apparently Gov Hickenlooper has announced that he will sign HB 1224 on Wednesday. We were asked for our reaction, and here is what we said:

We have said all along that based on the legal problems and uncertainties in the bill, as well as general principle, we will have no choice but to leave if the Governor signs this into law. We will start our transition out of the state almost immediately, and we will prioritize moving magazine manufacturing operations first. We expect the first PMAGs to be made outside CO within 30 days of the signing, with the rest to follow in phases. We will likely become a multi-state operation as a result of this move, and not all locations have been selected. We have made some initial contacts and evaluated a list of new potential locations for additional manufacturing and the new company headquarters, and we will begin talks with various state representatives in earnest if the Governor indeed signs this legislation. Although we are agile for a company of our size, it is still a significant footprint, and we will perform this move in a manner that is best for the company and our employees.

It is disappointing to us that money and a social agenda from outside the state have apparently penetrated the American West to control our legislature and Governor, but we feel confident that Colorado residents can still take the state back through recalls, ballot initiatives, and the 2014 election to undo these wrongs against responsible Citizens.

Indeed, Hickenlooper has already indicated he would sign the bill:

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper will sign legislation Wednesday that sets limits on ammunition magazines and expands background checks for firearms, marking a Democratic victory in a state where gun ownership is a treasured right and Second Amendment debate has played out in the wake of two mass shootings.

The measures proposed are some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, and their passage comes after weeks of tense legislative battles. Republicans and gun rights supporters put up a major fight against the measures in this politically moderate state, while Democrats made them the centerpieces of a package of legislative proposals drafted in reaction to shooting rampages at a suburban Denver movie theater and a Connecticut elementary school last year.

It’s not that Democrats didn’t try to woo Magpul into staying.  They added an amendment that made it legal to manufacture and transport high-capacity magazines … as long as Magpul sold them anywhere but in Colorado.  Republicans blasted Democrats for their hypocrisy:

A Colorado-based magazine manufacturer said it would leave the state if the new restrictions were passed, taking hundreds of jobs with it. Democrats tried to ease the concerns from Magpul Industries, saying the company can still manufacture higher-capacity magazines if they were sold out of state.

Waller blasted Democrats on that amendment, saying it was hypocritical because they are telling the company “you can sell (magazines) at any other place where any of these tragic shootings have happened.”

Waller called the exemption “a monumental inconsistency in their thought process.”

What was the message here? Colorado won’t allow people to purchase high-capacity magazines because that will supposedly decrease violence, but they’re happy to export them to other states? One can’t blame Magpul for failing to trust Democrats to leave that loophole open for very long, not after their demonstration of hostility to Magpul’s industry.

Meanwhile, two Pennsylvania legislators want to roll out the red carpet for Magpul, using a reference to Barack Obama in its pitch:

As some states that are home to manufactures of guns and gun components move to pass stricter gun regulations, two Pennsylvania state representatives have laid out a welcome mat in hopes of drawing the companies to the state.

Representatives Seth Grove, R-Dover Township, and Daryl Metcalfe, R-Butler County, issued a joint news release Monday that announces they are reaching out to several out-of-state gun and gun component makers, including Beretta, Magpul and Remington, and encouraging them to move to the Keystone State.

“We’ll be more than happy to have additional manufacturing,” Grove said. “Pennsylvania is known all over the country for clinging to its guns, and it’s time that we use this reputation to our advantage.”

In reaching out to the companies, Pennsylvania has joined a long list of states that have already done so.

Clearly, Colorado isn’t welcoming manufacturing jobs.  Pennsylvania may be a good option for Magpul, one no doubt they will consider as they start moving jobs out of Colorado.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Nobody ever goes to the gunshop and says “Gimme a box of .38 Smith & Wesson Specials. Hence the name morphed into simply .38 Special

The same applies to the .223 Remington.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

But isn’t that exactly dentarthurdent’s point? He knows it actually measures .224, he’s just saying that nobody *calls* it a .224. IOW that you wouldn’t go to a gunshop and ask for a .224, you’d ask for a .223, even if you knew that the industry standard was actually .224. (if I’m reading you correctly)

You are both saying the same thing – that there is a discrepancy between the actual measurement of the thing and the naming convention.

Sort of like the lead in a pencil. We all know it’s graphite, but people call it lead. And so does the industry and all the shops that sell pencils: http://www.officemax.com/catalog/search.jsp?searchText=Search+by+Keyword+or+Item+%23&freeText=leads&search.x=0&search.y=0

I guess if someone came along and said “no, it’s not graphite, it really is lead, see, that’s what it says on my box of pencils” you could take issue. But it doesn’t read to me that dentarthurdent is doing that. He agrees it measures .224 in actuality. He just points out that nobody calls it a .224.

Missy on March 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Which is exactly what I’ve been saying. Nice to see you finally admit it.
You also don’t go to the store and ask for a box of .224 ammo or for a .224 caliber AR-15.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You dumbass! Go back and look at my original comment and actually read it.
Your problem is you thought you knew enough about what I was speaking of to comment intelligently.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM

You also don’t go to the store and ask for a box of .224 ammo

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Unless you own a rifle chambered for a .224 Weatherby.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Missy on March 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Exactly.

You dumbass! Go back and look at my original comment and actually read it.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Well, there you go again dum@ss.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Unless you own a rifle chambered for a .224 Weatherby.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Ok – you got that one.
However, I have never yet seen any .224 ammo in any of the stores in my area. But I have seen .222.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Missy on March 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Missy, this was my original comment:

Uh, the standard AR IS .22 caliber. .224, to be exact.

I think you mean .22 Long Rifle rimfire, Blaze

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Whether we are speaking of the .22LR, the .218 Bee or the .223 Remington, they are ALL .22s.

I just happened to post something exactly and the layman Artie thought he had me on something he doesn’t know enough about.

Put it this way: You have a high-power .22 rifle and you want to reload your ammo. You already have the cases, powder and primers at the house. You go to the store and tell them you want some 55 grain boat-tail hollow point bullets.

The box they hand you will say .224 55gr HPBT on it.

That particular bullet is the industry standard for ANY .22 High-power rifle cartridge out there. From the .218 Bee to the .225 Winchester.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

..but imagine a newbie’s surprise some years ago when the guy at the store handed me a box of Hornady FMJ bullets in .224 and .308 when I told him I need the materials to start reloading for my AR and M-1s.

It is all so-o-o-o-o-o confusing!

The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Missy on March 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM
dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:09
dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM
dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

..we have probably scared everyone on HG away from any remote desire to reload, wouldn’t you say?

The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It is all so-o-o-o-o-o confusing!

The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Imagine your chagrin if you buy out their entire stock of .30 caliber bullets and you come home to find some say .311″ or .313″!

Put THAT in your AR and fire it! :D

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Not at all. Anyone who reloads knew exactly what I was talking about and how I said it.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM

The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

HAHA. I’ve been shooting for about two years, kept some of my brass. Really looking to get into reloading. Do you recommend a particular reloading book?

tom daschle concerned on March 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

GWB…good to know.

The CJ Political Report on March 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Put THAT in your AR and fire it! :D

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Unless, of course, you are reloading 7.62X39 for your old Russian AK-47.

:-)

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Do you recommend a particular reloading book?

tom daschle concerned on March 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Speer is the best. It can turn a beginner into an expert overnight practically.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

The article LetGet referenced simply states that the kid is holding a 22 caliber version of an AR-15; and you went off the deep end into mic spec variations of .22 bullets.

If you tell Missy or LetGet to go to the store to buy an AR-15, you tell them to get either a .223 or .308 or .22LR caliber rifle.
You don’t tell them how to manufacture the gun or the cartridges to go in it – unless you’re a reloading geek who likes to try to talk around people in terms that most people don’t use.
You’re acting like the Sheldon of the reloading community.
(that’s a Big Bang Theory reference in case you don’t get it)

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Unless, of course, you are reloading 7.62X39 for your old Russian AK-47.

:-)

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Mine’s Chinese. I don’t want a Russian one. Not the same people who invented Chernobyl. But I tip my hat to your countryman for inventing it.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Unless, of course, you are reloading 7.62X39 for your old Russian AK-47.

:-)

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Are you talking about a real AK-47 – in which case it should be full auto, or are you talking about a semi-auto, which is really an AKM of some sort?
These details matter to some people.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

tom daschle concerned on March 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

..tom, like you, I am by no means an expert. I Hoovered up all my information on the internet and local store reloading classes and then set out on the path. My thinking was that a anything in a book would be on the internet as well and I am notoriously cheap. Just graduating from a single-stage press to a turret press and will later go to a progressive press. But reloading almost as enjoyable as shooting. (Almost.)

Also recently got into shooting black powder revolvers because the replicas are not subject to state and federal scrutiny (yet). Cabela’s will mail-order you an Uberti or Pietta 1858 Remington or 1860 Colt to your doorstep. Talk about reloading and shooting! There you have the whole ball of wax in one package.

The War Planner on March 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Unless, of course, you are reloading 7.62X39 for your old Russian AK-47.

:-)

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Watch out lancy might jump on you for this, but it’s really not a 7.62×39 – it’s actually a 7.899 x 38.71 – just to be precise here….

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

“Real” AK-47s are manufactured in semi-auto. (They are usually referred to as an AK-47S, though)

“Real” AKMs are manufactured in full-auto (as well as semi). (The semi-auto is usually referred to as an AKM-S)
The AKM was the replacement for the AK-47…before the AK-74 in 5.45X39.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, but is mine an assault rifle. That is the question.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, but is mine an assault rifle. That is the question.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Is it full-auto as well as semi? If so…yes. If not…no.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Is it full-auto as well as semi? If so…yes. If not…no.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

It, like my .45 autoloader, could be made to, but no.

It is scary-lookin’ though.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The AKM was the replacement for the AK-47…before the AK-74 in 5.45X39.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

OK – ya got me on that one. Serves me right for listening to a retired Army guy and not looking it up myself. He corrects me all the time when I mention my son’s “AK-47″.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I don’t need any magazines for my collection, but if they really do move, I’ll stock up anyway with Magpuls and give them to friends and family for Christmas.

2ndMAW68 on March 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

The AKM was the replacement for the AK-47…before the AK-74 in 5.45X39.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I gotta be more careful talking Russian weapons with someone whose name looks like he’d know the subject matter…. ;)

I’ve been wanting to get an “AK-47″ but they’re now up to between $900 and $1200 at the dealers in my area who actually have them. My son only paid about $350 for his less than 2 years ago, so I’m not quite willing to pay the price they want for them now.
What I do have isn’t quite as scary looking – just a harmless little Draco AK pistol (7.62×39).
My wife is still trying to figure out how to “concealed carry” it…..

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

2ndMAW68 on March 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Just got 10 and waiting for another 5 on backorder – direct from Magpul under their Boulder Airlift special for Colorado residents.
I just wish they also made 7.62×39 mags, but I recently got a bunch of Tapcos in that size.
I’ve got more than enough of both sizes though to hold me through the dark days ahead for Colorado.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 6:15

How long did it take for your order to arrive? I ordered mine two weeks ago and still waiting.

tommer74 on March 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Prices are up on everything of that sort; and it’s doubtful that they’re going to ever come back down to what used to be “reasonable”.
If you really want one for “hard times a’comin’”, I’d say find the best one you can and pay the freight. (There are a lot of good ones out there for under a grand)
After all, you aren’t liable to sell it anytime before you die (lifetime investment, as it were) so you might as well. And buy lots and lots of magazines and cases of ammo.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

tommer74 on March 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I think it was about 2 to 3 weeks. I went in and ordered the second I got the notice that I was qualified. I think it’s the 5 Gen 3 mags that are on backorder. I got 5 Gen 2s and 5 window mags.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I paid $800 for the Draco back in January – so it’s really not that much of a stretch to the $900 AK at Specialty Sports. I’m very hesitant about the $1200 models at Dragon Man’s. On the ohter hand, we just paid $1180 for a Colt AR-15 for my wife, at Sportsman’s Warehouse. Too bad they don’t carry AKs….
I’ve got lots of ammo and magazines.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I had all the weapons I desired, picked up a Mini 14 for plinking and wildlife fun, but when all the law makeers started talk ban ban ban, I celebrated by getting myself a nice Russian AK to add to the mix. I didnt want it necessarily, but got it because I could. If I need to hunt for food once the economy crashes, well, I’ll be able to.

johnnyU on March 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

However, the 7 day waiting period in Maryland is currently 6 weeks!!!

johnnyU on March 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Actual measurement of ammo don’t exactly jive with the nomenclature;

A 5.56 is really 5.7mm as the .223 is .224

I like this description of the .223 though: “The most common use for 223 Remington ammo is varmint hunting. 223 Remington has light recoil and is easy to shoot.” — Not Joe Biden

Dasher on March 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Dasher on March 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Should I fire a couple of blasts up into the air?

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Dasher on March 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Should I fire a couple of blasts up into the air?

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Either that or just blast it through the door to see who is there.

Dasher on March 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Don’t forget .22 Hornet. (Also .224 projectile diameter.)

Page 3 seems a bit like a tire size post on a bicycle forum. lol

S. D. on March 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Actual measurement of ammo don’t exactly jive with the nomenclature;

A 5.56 is really 5.7mm as the .223 is .224

Dasher on March 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Should I fire a couple of blasts up into the air?

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Either that or just blast it through the door to see who is there.

Dasher on March 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

One of the hardest things I had to learn when I started hunting,
was that “Actual measurement of ammo don’t exactly jive with the nomenclature”.

The non-standard system for naming rifle cartridges drove me nuts for about the first three years.
BTW, it’s funnier when Joe says it.

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

johnnyU on March 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Colorado Springs has a Mini 14 that nobody apparently wanted when it came in 3 weeks ago – still had it (about $900) last couple times we’ve been in. My wife really likes the “pretty gray tones woodgrain look”…. But I have no Mini 14 mags – and possibly too many (if there is such a thing) AR and AK mags.

I gotta say, it’s tough deciding when I’ve “invested” enough. The next purchase will be a handgun for my wife, so the AK may have to wait a bit. I’d like to have an AK rifle to go with the Draco, but we’ve already got 2 AR-15s, and assorted other guns, as well as dozens of magazines and at least a couple thousand rounds of every type of ammo I use – so I feel like we’re getting near a stopping point.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

It gets worse. Our friends at Remington (those caliber-cheaters again) have introduced the exact same cartridge twice at different times and called them different things.

Such as the 6mm Remington which is the exact same thing as the .244 Remington, and

the .280 Remington which is exactly the same as the 7mm Express Remington.

To add even more insult, Remington got cute and introduced a line of rimless cartridges to compete with Winchester.

Back then, one could make a mistake of asking for a box of 30/30 Remington ammo and gotten a box of 30/30 Winchester ammo MADE by Remington. Neither round being interchangeable.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

One of the hardest things I had to learn when I started hunting,
was that “Actual measurement of ammo don’t exactly jive with the nomenclature”.

BTW, it’s funnier when Joe says it.

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Not exactly unique though. If you build anything out of wood, you had better understand what the ACTUAL measurements of the boards are when you buy them. But, as I’ve said before, you don’t go to the lumber yard and ask for a 1 1/2 X 3 1/2 inch board – you ask for a 2X4.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

One of the hardest things I had to learn when I started hunting,
was that “Actual measurement of ammo don’t exactly jive with the nomenclature”.

BTW, it’s funnier when Joe says it.

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

In fact – go look at a Chevy Silverado (1500) half-ton pickup.
Neither the curb weight nor the payload is a half ton or 1500 pounds – which in itself is also not a half ton.
But nobody says “I’ve got a 4460 pound pickup that carries a 1940 pound payload.”

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Jesus Christ, you still going on about that? I pointed out that you completely went out of your way to misunderstand the premise of my statement, thought you knew more than me on the subject, were proven wrong and not only don’t have the good sense to shut up and save face, but continue to use apples and oranges to compare?

Give it a rest already!

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Bring them magazine jobs to Possum Holler.

We’d love to Big ammo up locally.

Coloradofornia has been taken over by the loons at the Aspen Institute apparently.

PappyD61 on March 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

the .280 Remington which is exactly the same as the 7mm Express Remington.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

We happen to have in the family, a Sav M99 carbine, chambered for the .303 Sav. We also have three rifles shooting .30-30 Win.

As a young hunter, I learned that .303 Sav cartridges would slide easily into a .30-30 Win chamber. Let me state emphatically that I NEVER discharged a .303 Sav shell in a .30-30 Win rifle (please kids, don’t try it at home, or anywhere else for that matter).
But we learned that we could create .303 Sav casings out of .30-30 casings, since my brother has the dies for it. We haven’t had to do it yet, but before we do we’ll devise some kind of “labeling method” to keep to make re-configured .30-30 shells easily identifiable.

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

It is the librul schlocks from kalifornika that have done this to Colorado. Even their football team has joined the light in the loafers Pac 10 (12). The only reason for them to do that is to feel more at home kalifornika style. Write them off, folks. Those schlocks are not worth worrying about.

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

You are (unfortunately) correct Pappy, but I think it wasn’t the Aspen institute, but the refuse… excuse me … refugees from California that moved here and started changing the state from what it was to what they just left!

Anyway, I have a question: Under this new law, can I take a little road trip to a neighboring state and purchase (and bring home) a magazine that the Dems in Colorado do not want me to have?

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

listens2glenn on March 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Those two are quite similar. Even down to the unusually long neck. But the SAAMI standard is .311″ as opposed to .308″ for the 30/30.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

You might want to consider buying an automatic shotgun for your wife. A 20 ga can put more weight of buckshot (18 – 1/4 inch downrange in 5-10 seconds than an AR15, M-14 or ..308 M14. The Benelli 12 can do twice that and is the preferred weapon for our military in urban combat.

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Just drive a few miles the southEAST corner to black Mesa, then stay there, or a little further in. We can use MEN like you!

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Give it a rest already!

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

GFY moron.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

GFY moron.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Settle down, Artie. Ain’t no big deal.

Wait. Did you just call me a Mormon?

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

We’ve got a shotgun already – Mossberg 500 tactical – which I really don’t think she could handle. I’m getting her started with a Ruger SR22 and we’ll work up from there.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Wait. Did you just call me a Mormon?

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

They wouldn’t take you – I hear even they have standards.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Black Mesa. Is that OK? Never been to that area. May have to take a road trip here in a few weeks… (I’m up north, near Greeley).

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM

They wouldn’t take you – I hear even they have standards.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Oh. Just wanted to make sure.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Technically, possession of an illegal mag purchased after 1 July is what’s illegal – but they have to prove you didn’t already own it before 1 July.
My guess is it depends on whether the state patrol or some local cops along the way want to try to catch people coming back in with “illegal” hardware and try to hold onto them and/or you. They wouldn’t be able to prove you just bought them, unless they search you and your car and find the receipt, but they might maek your life miserable for awhile – or until you pay some fine to get them to let you go.
But I suspect a lot of people will be doing just that – driving to Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, Texas or New Mexico to get their stuff.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Then you should be good to go to Wyoming or Nebraska for whatever you need. Just make sure nothing has a date stamp or serial number on it – which none do now anyway – and don’t have a receipt on you dated after 1 July. Should be easy to claim you’ve had them for years and just took them with you to do some shooting elsewhere. Sounds like you wouldn’t get any trouble from the Weld County Sheriff.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

What most people don’t know – add Oklahoma. Black mesa is on the border of CO and OK. We got cheap gasoline and cheap gas.

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Oh ya – forgot there’s a bit of border with OK. Most of my trips south have been straight down through NM (from Colo Springs).

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

That’s what I gathered from what little I have been able to glean from the law (as written). So, if the receipt gets ‘lost’ before I get back into CO (and the State Patrol is not conducting illegal searches, then there is no way to prove that I did not already have the hi-cap mag. So, the new law just makes it a little more inconvenient, but not impossible for someone to ‘break’ it. Typical of these brain-dead politicians…

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Jack Slade on March 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That’s my take on it – and basically what our sheriff (Terry Maketa) has talked about. He testified to the legislature that “the law is completely unenforceable” for those reasons, as well as a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Old Country Boy on March 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

OK should build a big @ss Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops or Sportsman’s Warehouse (or all 3) right on their side of the border and keep them well stocked with all those scary high cap magazines. They’d make a mint.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM

letget on March 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Just getting time to read this thread. Thanks for posting that.

WOW, kudos to that DAD!!! The comments in that story by the Blaze are great too, as well as the follow up by Beck.

bluefox on March 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM

…shouldn’t that be a middle finger…on the picture?

KOOLAID2 on March 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Who wants to bet that the Libtard idiots in the Colorado gummint are ignorant of Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged where the Gummint made it illegal for companies to move and/or fire or layoff employees?

Just watch – those Libtard fascists will try that crap next.

CatchAll on March 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Do the Republicans in Colorado plan ANY blowback? Any charges of 2nd Amenment violations? Any plans to challenge these fools sooner or later?

AnnaS on March 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

What’s really stupid about all this is that the bill is clearly unconstitutional and unenforceable so will push companies and jobs out of Colorado for nothing.

The magazines are only banned from sale, not ownership. If I need more, I just take a quick 1.5 hour trip up to Cheyenne and stock up.

Magazines aren’t traceable. They have no identifying marks, an ID isn’t required for purchase, and the sale isn’t recorded. The sheriffs don’t have to say they won’t enforce the law, they CAN’T enforce it.

Same with the universal background checks. How would the police know when or from whom I purchased a firearm via private party? Again, I can just drive up the road and buy one in Wyoming (except handguns) with no background check at all. Like the good sheriff said, just assume that all purchases were before July 1st.

Most gun shops and FFL holders have already said that they won’t do background checks for private party sales.

The recall for John Morse, president of the CO Senate is already underway. Next up will be my Senator, Evie Hudak as well as Mike McLachlan. The Democratic Party-led Legislature and Hickenlooper are ignoring the tens of thousands of Colorado citizens vehemently against these bills in favor of campaign finance promises from Obama, Bloomberg, and the Democratic Party. There are many of us who will work diligently to make sure that they are never in a position of leadership in Colorado ever again.

Unfortunately, that won’t bring back Magpul, Alfred, and other companies who will leave or go out of business. But maybe we can turn Colorado back in the direction of limited government, the Constitution, and freedom.

Common Sense on March 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Get a Knox stock and the Aguila/Centurion shorty rounds and try those out for size. I’ve heard good reports for youth and light build shooters on 12ga. The down side is a lot less recoil, the upside is twice the number of rounds in a tube fed magazine. Just have to learn to learn the pumping technique. Also those shorty rounds are cheap and people tend to discount them for hunting… but CQB? Well worth it to get a couple of boxes of the stuff and just try it with an unmodified Moss or Rem (or clone of either). Not for semi-autos, of course, due to the light recoil and small shell size… great for pumps, over-unders and double barrel guns.

The other route is to get a bunch of adapters for 12ga in something lighter like 20ga or 28ga or 410 or even go for pistol rounds. Chambers the round due to the adapter but much lighter recoil.. I got 16ga to 38spl/357 mag adapters for my sister-in-law and her old Moss bolt action 16ga. The adapters can cost a bit, but they are re-useable and allow you to shift over to pistol loads to finish off prey in the field when you don’t want to mess it up any more than you have.

Really there are lots of options for the 12ga pump platform! And adapters help you to make the rounds you have for other platforms useful in the 12ga.

ajacksonian on March 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

AnnaS on March 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

As Common Sense said above, recall effort on John Morse (D, Senate) is already underway in the Colorado Springs area. He barely squeaked in at the election by 300 votes with the conservative vote being split by a 3rd party Paulbot. So the recall has a pretty good chance at succeeding.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Stay the hell out of Pennsylvania, MagPul!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Stay the hell out of Pennsylvania, MagPul!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yeah!! Come to Texas!!!

Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper signs landmark gun-control bills

redguy on March 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper signs landmark gun-control bills

redguy on March 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

So long Magpul.
I’m dying to find out where they’ve decided to move. They’ve said they’ll have magazine production up and running at their new location within 30 days.
Please open a factory outlet store – right on the Colorado border……

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

well he signed it … now see if folks make good on the threats …
hope they do … and I wonder if the outfitters are going to take it
hard … how many people will cancel hunting trips …

conservative tarheel on March 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

they said they were going to open multiple sites …
so I am thinking smaller with room for each to grow …
they could come to NC …. would love to have em here.

conservative tarheel on March 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

redguy on March 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

This! ^^^^

annoyinglittletwerp on March 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

they said they were going to open multiple sites
so I am thinking smaller with room for each to grow …
they could come to NC …. would love to have em here.

conservative tarheel on March 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Also makes it easier to move again if another state falls to the libtard gun-grabbers.

dentarthurdent on March 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Wisconsin would welcome your manufacturing plant. We are open for business with a pro growth/lower taxes governor. Consider our
State as one that would be friendly to your business. Please consider Wisconsin.

psychocyber on March 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Pennsylvania? You’re nuts, Ed. You wouldn’t locate an arms company there in your dreams … it’s just a matter of time before those kooks go the CO route.

The Peoples’ Republic of Philly controls a vast, rural state, with a little help from the retarded ethnic unionists of Pittsburgh.

Jaibones on March 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Bumper sticker seen on a Magpul truck… “Texas or bust”

44Magnum on March 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Hold it. Seems like it was just 20 years ago or so that you had to get a permit to buy a handgun in Michigan.

Lanceman on March 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

So what? Do you support the sales of unregistered firearms?

Today it is much easier to get a concealed carry permit in Michigan. With visitors from Chicago knowing that they tread very lightly here. LOL!

Also noteworthy is Michigan is now a Right to Work state. We in the TEA Party pushed for that and finally got it!

DannoJyd on March 23, 2013 at 5:19 AM