Producers of “The Bible” miniseries: No way were we trying to make Satan look like Obama

posted at 4:01 pm on March 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

C’mon. I thought the consensus on the right was that Satan looks like Karl Rove.

The bad news? The producers have a media shinolastorm on their hands over what was almost certainly an innocent casting decision. The good news? We now have a new front-page thumbnail for when Obama pushes an especially terrible policy.

“The Bible” Executive Producers, Mark Burnett & Roma Downey said Monday:

“This is utter nonsense. The actor who played Satan, Mehdi Ouzaani, is a highly acclaimed Moroccan actor. He has previously played parts in several Biblical epics– including Satanic characters long before Barack Obama was elected as our President.

“The Bible” Executive Producer Roma Downey adds:

Both Mark and I have nothing but respect and love our President, who is a fellow Christian. False statements such as these are just designed as a foolish distraction to try and discredit the beauty of the story of The Bible.”

Important footnote: Not only has Burnett donated to the Democratic National Committee, he maxed out in donating to Obama himself in 2008. That’s a strange thing to do for a man who’s accused of thinking O is the Father of Lies. And no, there’s not much chance that Burnett has since changed his mind. You’ve seen the poll numbers among Democrats on keeping Gitmo open and using drones against American citizens. There’s virtually nothing The One can do as president, including adopting the Bushitler’s policies, that would alienate an O-bot who was devout enough to drop several thousand bucks on him a few years ago. If anything, be happy Burnett didn’t cast the Obama lookalike as Jesus. Although that would, at least, have been true to the spirit of O’s fans in Hollywood and the media circa five years ago.

Burnett himself has an … interesting theory for the resemblance:

Burnett — a deeply religious man — tells TMZ … he believes there is a devil on earth. Burnett says the devil has stirred the pot and created a false likeness between Obama and the TV devil.

Why, you ask, would the real devil care about a TV show? Fact is … the show is HUGELY popular and is having a big impact on viewers. Burnett notes the show last night featured a face-to-face meeting between Jesus and the devil … BUT it’s not the first time the TV devil has appeared on the show. The TV devil appeared in the Garden of Eden scene awhile back and no one said anything.

Burnett believes the real devil is scared that Jesus has now entered the picture and is trying to distract from Jesus’ message by creating a false story.

Satan’s trying to derail the message by … generating an amazingly valuable publicity stunt for the production? I.e. the lord of eternal death reimagined as the lord of eternal debt? I’ve watched five minutes of the series so far but next week is now appointment viewing just so I can see Jesus square off with “Obama.” No surer way than that to get a conservative atheist to reconsider, my friends. (Then again, there’s not much to reconsider. Evidently, most atheists already believe in God.)

I’ll leave you with this from John McCormack, who gets to the heart of the matter in a very Jack Handy-ish way:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

You couldn’t be more wrong on what you wrote. My comment had Nothing to do with hawl, but was about the entire thread. Bmore just tried to wrap it up. The insanity has continued, with new hamster-spinning-wheel, of all sorts. It’s all I meant.

I love hawkdriver and I adore RWM, for different reasons.

Please don’t make false pronouncements, respectfully.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

hawl = hawk, sorry

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

If the shoe fits…

Seven Percent Solution on March 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Well Barry, if the shoe fits……………

GarandFan on March 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

If the shoe fits…

Seven Percent Solution on March 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Well Barry, if the shoe fits……………

GarandFan on March 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Great minds

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Funny, I thought Obama looked like Captain Tom Neville on the tv show “Revolution”.

Danny Matheson: Shut up, already.
Captain Tom Neville: What did you say to me?
Danny Matheson: I’m sick of it. I’m sick of your weird speeches, your mind games. Whatever you’re trying to do, it’s not working.
Captain Tom Neville: I would be very, very careful if I were you.

MichaelGabriel on March 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Yes, and Captain Neville has a son. Who doesn’t wear a hoodie.

JoseQuinones on March 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

SailorMark on March 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yes, I’d noted that, right after the other one :)

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

If Satan had a son…

Ronnie on March 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

ROTFL!!!!! Oh, wait…

pannw on March 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Producers deeply religious. Gives to democrats. No way. You cannot believe in God and be a democrat also !

BruceB on March 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Jesus already squared off with him, Allah. Guess what,..…Jesus won. But, next week would be a great time for you to catch it though.

ted c on March 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

No wonder he’s angry if this is what you think.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

It’s not what I think and I don’t know why you didn’t read/comprehend my statements about it. I explained it all, best I could.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Obligatory: Johnny Rivers- Seventh Son

portlandon on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Looks more like Frank Marshall Davis to me.

Stu Gotts on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I love hawkdriver and I adore RWM, for different reasons.

Please don’t make false pronouncements, respectfully.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The thread was what he was fighting for. You negated his argument and what was important to him (and should be important to all of us here – being intimidated into not speaking our minds) as “hamster spinning” and “insanity” and I’m not entirely sure why.

It’s insulting that you diminished his argument then and again here, in this post and the other one.

It seems you can’t see that. I see nothing false in my “pronouncements”.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

2 Corinthias 11:14 “And no wionder satan disguises hisef as an ange of light.” If you saw the creepy guy you would cross the road to not have to walk by him. But if he promised you all kinds of goodies , if you would bow down to him, and looked like a nice guy you would trust him more. Maybe even he offers to be more transparent , and make sure you get money from those evil people who actually work for a living. Uh oh I think I’m confused. But wait maybe I’m not. Ithink I would rather see the creepy guy, at least you can identify the snake that is trying to bite you.

stormridercx4 on March 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

The funny thing is that the actor is white, and everyone is in a hoot over a “black” Satan.

Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni

That takes great make-up to make him even remotely look like Obama…um. I mean Satan.

AverageJoe on March 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni

AverageJoe on March 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

You mean they couldn’t even find a black guy to play the role?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACISTS!

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Roma Downy (Burnett’s wife) is a Catholic. I can understand her and her husband being taken with Obama in 2008 and donating the max to him, but in this last election with all he has done to spit on the bible and christians with his policies? If they believe he is a good christian, then I cannot respect their work on this series at all.

KickandSwimMom on March 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Last comment, as it is OT here – I said that “intimidation is wrong in all cases”. Go find it. I can’t explain it any simpler/more directly. I don’t know what else you want.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Any of the older movies on the subject are much better.

They lost me in the where the angels who exported Lott and his family out of Sodomm and Gamorah turned into Kung-fu action movie stars.

I love the stories portrayed in this series but this is a poor presentation of them.

catmman on March 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Bingo! There is nothing in Genesis which showed that there was any swordplay between the Sodomites and the angels. They didn’t NEED any swords, as Genesis points out when the Sodomites were blinded by the angels. The whole point of God’s power and anger was lost, when they had angels – empowered by God – reduced to fighting like humans.

In addition, the show had a quite young looking Abraham [he was 100 when Isaac was born - again - a miracle which was overlooked] who displayed righteous indignation at God for His demand that Isaac be sacrificed, when no such anger is portrayed in the Bible -the point being that Abraham had FAITH that what God asked of Him was proper, and that God would provide – again – a point that was utterly lost in the show.

In addition, they failed to show the parting of the Jordan River, when the tribes entered Canaan – another lost miracle – and they indicated that the walls of Jericho fell because of an earthquake [which could've been a natural event], instead of by the sheer impossibility of the force of their shouts – impossible but for the POWER of God. Again, the power of God and His miracle – was overlooked.

I could go on.

I’m disappointed with the show.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Roma, if you can’t see through this guy, forget about seeing through you-know-who when he shows up.

Cleombrotus on March 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM

AverageJoe on March 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

That actor isn’t white.

But, um… the guy is Moroccan. He’s not black. Moroccans have connections to Scandinavian people, and you don’t get much whiter than Scandinavia. So, sorta, he may be sorta white?

That’s what your link claims.

Flange on March 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

It seems you can’t see that. I see nothing false in my “pronouncements”.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Except that you responded to Schad’s post with this…

Not wanting to take the personal public and using intimidation tactics to silence discussion is not “insanity”. No wonder he’s angry if this is what you think.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Hawk didn’t mind attempting to use the same tactics to silence or intimidate me.

Of course, on that particular thread, I was on the “other side,” so it doesn’t matter. I had it coming or something…

PS: If hawkdriver is still angry, that says more about him than anything.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Please, Sophie and kr, don’t derail this thread. It is against the HA rules and subject of banning (though I am against bannings). Just a friendly reminder.

That story is over, for any sane person.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Indeed you do.

multiuseless on March 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Heh. One picture like that one and all those media shots of the One with haloes are effectively negated in the public mind.

Cleombrotus on March 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

You brought it up, not me.

Why didn’t you stand with hawkdriver then if that’s what you believe as you say instead of trying to get him to be quiet? It’s quite clear by the choices of your words “insanity” and “hamster wheel” (which you used a number of times to describe his argument) that you thought nothing of it. He was clear as I was above.

I even had to ask you two times very clearly as initially you thought nothing of the troll googling hawkdriver and posting the other man’s information.

I’d like you to understand that you did NOT stand with hawkdriver and again here insulted him and his words by calling it “insanity”.

That’s all.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Cleombrotus on March 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Bmore, photoshop note for yer booklet

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

That’s all.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

What is all is that you are an obtuse wart and a LIAR.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

That story is over, for any sane person.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Agreed.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

PS: If hawkdriver is still angry, that says more about him than anything.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

There was none of the sort. There’s a huge difference between discussing your blog, which is linked to your name and making a conscious point to google someone specifically and then post their findings as an intimidation tactic.

If you can’t see the difference between the two, then what can I say?

I have no idea if hawkdriver is still angry. *I NEVER SAID THAT*. I only said he was angry in that thread, at the time, which is obvious. But nice cheap shot.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I really don’t see it.

JohnBrown on March 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

That actor isn’t white.

Flange on March 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I was looking at the picture of the actor.

AverageJoe on March 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

AP:

Meh. You selfish paleo-con!

socalcon on March 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Where are the trolls?

Axelturd must have them in the education camp on Mondays.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM

What is all is that you are an obtuse wart and a LIAR.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

That’s why I had to ask you twice for clarification. Here, let me repost:

Gosh, you’re all insane. Any time you post a comment on HA, or on pretty much any site, it gets tabled, indexed and is searcheable. You don’t want to be searched/googled, don’t comment.

You are truly ignorantly insane.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I disagree. There’s one thing with quietly taking note of someone’s handle and looking into them on your own time and keeping it within yourself.

There’s another thing with doing it and posting it and telling the world that you are keeping an eye on them and checking them out.

Do you see the difference? Do you see the intent with the second?

kim roy on March 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

and

kim roy on March 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I see and know what you say but it makes little diff. Don’t want to be searched on, don’t post, not only here, in general.

libfreeordie whines about it all the time. Some of us know exaclty who he is and isn’t. NO one told us.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM

So you don’t find a problem with this behavior? I don’t think you’re understanding my distinction with using that tactic *here* on a *discussion* forum. If the man wants to host his own blog and do whatever he wants, that’s another matter, but to do that in the middle of a discussion here because he doesn’t like the turn of the conversation or the words???

Seriously?? That’s your position?

kim roy on March 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM

What am I lying about?

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

IMHO, he looks like a very dead Morton Downey Jr.

Erich66 on March 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Go back and read the innuendo he left by bringing up my blog. He even called me a racist and then apologised for his own “over-the-top, that’s-what-they-do, leftist” behaviour.

The thread was heated and feathers were ruffled. People said a lot of things…some that they might wish hadn’t been said. I could have behaved better. Most of the people on the thread could have, INCLUDING HAWKDRIVER.

It’s over…or, it is for me, any way.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Captain Tom Neville: I would be very, very careful if I were you.

MichaelGabriel on March 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Prince Humperdink: I would not say such things, if I were you.

Midas on March 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Where was your outrage with game of thrones you idgits

cmsinaz on March 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I said, “IF hawkdriver is still angry, that says more about him than anything.”

“IF” being the operative word.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

The History channel must be racist.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Please, Sophie, don’t answer any more.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Our Father, Who art in Heaven…
Hallowed be Thy name…
Thy Kingdom come…
Thy Will be done…

singlemalt 18 on March 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM

IMHO, he looks like a very dead Morton Downey Jr.

Erich66 on March 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

If Morton Downey, Jr and Barack Obama, Jr had a junior-squared? Yeah, I see it.

Fallon on March 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I said, “IF hawkdriver is still angry, that says more about him than anything.”

“IF” being the operative word.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It was an unnecessary cheap shot. Own it.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Ha ha ha!

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

If the leftists don’t believe, how is this offensive? How will they argue that the devil exists?

How will they argue for freedom of expression from the movies? From a leftie producer couple, no less?

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Please, Sophie, don’t answer any more.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

You brought it up first here to toadie up to her, insulted what you say is a good friend, called me a liar and when you can’t answer for your own words, you run away.

Noted. I’m done. Educated, but done.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

That’s not to say that the resemblance isn’t there…just that it isn’t intentional.

CycloneCDB on March 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

just that it isn’t intentional.

CycloneCDB on March 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Don’t kid yourself.

p.s. this comment was posted by my nom. I wasn’t here.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

It was an unnecessary cheap shot. Own it.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Whatever.

Kim Roy’s Old & Busted:

No wonder he’s angry if this is what you think.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Kim Roy’s New Hotness:

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Yes, you did say it.

No wonder he’s angry if this is what you think.”

Own it.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Maybe the devil made them do it :)

May have been intentional but there it is!

scalleywag on March 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Brilliant series of critiques on The Bible series from Wil Gafney Associate Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament at The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia in Pennsylvania

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I was looking at the picture of the actor.

AverageJoe on March 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The world of political correctness creates some weird conversations.

Flange on March 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” –Abraham Lincoln

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

libfreeordie is not a troll.

“There’s a difference btw. being a troll and trolling” — Bmore

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yes, you did say it.

“No wonder he’s angry if this is what you think.”

Own it.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I think you missed the “‘”. Sorry my grammar isn’t up to standards. It’s way past obvious I cannot speak for his frame of mind today.

It was still a cheap shot for someone “over it”.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

May have been NOT have been intentional but there it is!

scalleywag on March 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

scalleywag on March 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Trying to summon libfreeordie, eh?

Midas on March 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

But this series erases the texts in which Joshua and the Israelites slaughter babies, kill their mothers, fathers and brothers and take their sisters as war-brides as long as they haven’t had sex – prepubescent girl-children – on the orders of Moses and God. They ignore the texts in which God calls for the enslavement of non-Israelites and their children in perpetuity – the scriptural and theological basis for the Atlantic slave-trade and American slavocracy. They ignore the texts in which entire ethnic groups are exterminated by divine command. And they even ignore the horrific sexual violence perpetrated against women and girls within Israel: Lot’s offer of his daughters to be raped by a mob, Israelite fathers selling their daughters into sexual slavery with the permission of God and Moses, a Judge of Israel sacrificing his daughter like an animal and celebrated as a hero of faith in the New Testament, abduction, rape, forced pregnancy used repeatedly as tools of war. Bathsheba’s abduction and rape recast as consensual adultery.

Dr. Gafney goes IN. Burnett et al look like fools. Is there any wonder Glenn Beck is super excited about this series.

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Midas on March 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I did. See his note above. He’s trying to troll.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I am just surprised that they didn’t cast Jesus to look like the President.

weaselyone on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I wonder if this actor is mad because people say he looks like Obama.

Philly on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It’s always the Jews. In your view the muzzies are right. It’s what they teach in their madrassas, still. Obama is visiting with his flock, right now.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM

If she really believes Obey is a Christian then discernment is weak in this one.

TfromV on March 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

It was still a cheap shot for someone “over it”.

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I didn’t miss the “‘”. “He’s” is the standard contraction for he is. And, no, it was not a “cheap shot.” All that I said was, “if he is still angry, that says more about him than anything.”

It’s ridiculous to be angry about what happened on a thread between anonymous posters. I have no problem with hawkdriver. We had a disagreement. It’s over.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

ENOUGH!

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

The History Channel begins the Jesus story midway through the third of five episodes. Yet anyone whose ever held – let alone read – a Christian bible knows that the pagination of the First Testament is more than double the Second. There are 23,261 verses in shorter version of the First Testament used by most Protestants in the 66-book bible and 7941 verses in the New Testament. By the way, the Protestant Bible is the shortest and newest of Christian bibles and used by the fewest number of Christians around the world, yet its adherents – particularly in the American context – are the loudest. Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican and Episcopal bibles like the original 1611 King James Version of the bible, Martin Luther’s revolutionary translation and the earliest manuscript with both testaments, Codex Sinaticus, have 72 to 80 books or more and are read by the vast majority of Christians on the planet, more than a billion and a half people.

I just love a brilliant theologian exposing the foolish propaganda of American evangelicalism for what it is. Go ‘head Doctor Gafney.

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Can’t wait for Dr Gafney to start a critique about the Qur’an, especially what is happening TODAY in Muslim countries. Maybe, he will defend what is happening to your gay brothers and sisters in Iran. Oh, wait, there are no homosexuals in Iran. I forgot. Ahmadinejad was kind enough to tell us this at Columbia.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

ENOUGH!

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Hah, I agree, but you got the wrong hamsters.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Sorry, s/b “wrong hamster”.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

ENOUGH!

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yes, ma’am. I’ll also get off the lawn. ;)

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hey, liveenslavedthendie, what’s a “womanist”? Dr Wil(da) Gafney calls herself a “womanist.” Is it the same as a “feminist”? No, cuz she calls herself a “feminist,” too.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Oh, more popcorn is needed.

Looks like Sophie will be busy swatting flies and wasps.

Leftists love to put down Christians but excuse muzzies for every tyranny.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I am a biblical scholar, Episcopal priest and seminary professor. I publish as Wilda and Wil Gafney. I have taught Biblical Hebrew, Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies, Womanist, Feminist and Post-Colonial Biblical Studies for the past seven years at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia.

My scholarship includes prophecy and prophetic literature, rabbinic (Tanaaitic) literature, Ancient Near Eastern religious (especially prophetic and women’s vocational) literature and traditional and contemporary midrash – biblical interpretation.

My personal love for vampire literature intersects with my professional biblical scholarship in my note in the Peoples’ Bible on the Lilith who appears in Isaiah 34:14. She is regarded as the mother of vampires in later medieval midrash…

IOW, Dr Gafney is sort of an Episcopalian Anne Rice….

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I love you ktemol, and I love kr too. No further explanation needed.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Satan is also called the Father of lies…

djn on March 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Oh Resist We Much. Don’t you wish you had read the links before posting. You would’ve avoided embarassment. Dr. Gafney LOVES the Bible and clearly she loves Christ as she is an ordained minister. What she does not like is the History Channel’s production of The Bible. Have you, perhaps, confused the History Channel with the scriptures? Because if so, that is exactly her point about what is pernicious about this miniseries. You’ve got people thinking this is “The Bible.” Her essays document exactly why that is wrong and potentially dangerous.

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Oh shut your effing mouth!

You support adults having sex with minors. You’re a pervert.

CW on March 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Hey, liveenslavedthendie, is Dr Gafney related to the late Lypsynka of Libya?

Wil Gafney
Wil Gafney
@WilGafney

biblical scholar, Episcopal priest, professor, journeywoman world traveler, Torah teacher, drag-inspired theological dominatrix, beach addict, having the lamb

lol

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Her essays document exactly why that is wrong and potentially dangerous.

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

So, you admitted that lots from Hollywood is “wrong and potentially dangerous”.

Hollywood was used loosely, meaning the movies in general.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Satan is also called the Father of lies…

djn on March 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Oh, I read that wrong.

Fallon on March 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Pray tell, how have I got “people thinking this is ‘The Bible’”?

Don’t you wish you had read her bio before you posted her here?

‘Cuz, like, um, EVERYONE is going to listen soooooo intently to a, er, drag-inspired theological dominatrix.

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Have you watched the series?

Rusty Allen on March 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Satan is also called the Father of lies…

And Barry could also be called the Drawer of Flies.

hawkeye54 on March 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Here’s Dr Gafney’s twitter bio: https://twitter.com/WilGafney

LMFAO!

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

ENOUGH!

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Thanks ktmol. I like all of the “combatants” and hope, at the end of the day, they like each other. I think they do.

Regarding the miniseries:
It is certainly not intended to replace reading, studying, and researching the Bible for one’s own edification.
It is not intended to be a representation of American evangelicals, although many of them likely consulted on the project.
And regarding lfod’s “scholar”, she may have some valid critiques, but likely has her own erroneous framework as well.

22044 on March 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yes, ma’am. I’ll also get off the lawn. ;)

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

You were all over my prizewinning crabgrass!

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

So, you admitted that lots from Hollywood is “wrong and potentially dangerous”.

Hollywood was used loosely, meaning the movies in general.

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I absolutely think that. Cultural products are really powerful and absolutely influence society. Though I suspect we might disagree on the messages Hollywood sends out. I think they are particularly focused on valorizing shallowness, consumerism, unrepentant individualism and self centered-ness. You probably think they are secretly collectivist or something.

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

“Mark and I have nothing but respect and love our President, who is a fellow Christian.

It’s a sin to tell a lie.

Basilsbest on March 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Here’s Dr Gafney’s twitter bio: https://twitter.com/WilGafney

LMFAO!

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

As suspected, her leftism corrupts her faith, rather than a pure & incorruptible faith informing her politics.

22044 on March 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

The 1956 film The Ten Commandments is over three hours long, and that’s just one Bible story. Of course there are going to be omissions and other things for sake of drama, to keep the many tales moving along in each two-hour episode.

For some ‘professor’ to whine about lack of detail in such a cinematic undertaking strikes me as the sign of a person who’s a liberation theologian.

Liam on March 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM

A number of Dr. Gafney’s sermons in Jewish and Christian congregations are posted in her blog. In most cases, the translation of the scriptures is her own. Dr. Gafney also is a blogger on the Huffington Post – follow her writing here. Visit Dr. Gafney’s Amazon author page here.

Hah

Schadenfreude on March 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM

ibfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

…and they push perverted sex.

CW on March 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Lies that make Satan blush.

nobar on March 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

kim roy on March 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Always remember that hawk has been through far worse than disagreeing with normally like minded anonymous people on a blog and come out shining. No one can take that away. Nor is anyone trying.

Cindy Munford on March 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Resist We Much on March 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM

LOL You don’t even know what she means by that. But even if it is whatever you are imagining it to be, what on earth does it have to do with her credentials or her analysis. I believe that conservatives claim to be rational, which means they assess arguments on their merit. Unless you can offer up a corrective to her arguments, then your childish finger pointing and squealing about who she may or may not be is actually irrelevant. The fact that you are trying to make something significant out of her twitter profile, when her posts illustrate a mastery of Biblical history shows how threatened you are by her brilliance.

libfreeordie on March 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM