Good news: “Walking Dead” devotes full hour of screen time to its two most unlikable characters

posted at 9:21 pm on March 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Time for the weekly grumble thread. Just the other day I was thinking, “You know what would really perk this show up? An entire episode devoted to its most annoying, chronically boring character, who hasn’t done a single interesting thing since season one. The writers need to kill a few hours anyway while we’re waiting for the big finale between Rick’s gang and Woodbury. Here’s their chance to have Andrea finally figure out that the Governor’s a sadistic megalomaniac, just like the rest of the world did 20 episodes ago.” And then, as if by magic, there it was last night — the show that I’d dreamed of, essentially “Sleeping With the Enemy” with some zombies tossed in. My only regret is that there weren’t a few more scenes of Michonne silently glowering at people, which never gets old. We’ll have to make do with just that one by the campfire.

The big chase scene in the warehouse was fine, but let’s face it, no one watching it seriously believed the Governor would be eaten. That might have happened in a show about the zombie apocalypse, where life ends brutally and unpredictably even for the most significant characters, but that’s not what this show is about. This is a show about the survivalist soap opera among Rick and the gang with zombies as backdrop. And since the soap opera requires a Final Conflict with the Governor, that’s what we’ll get. Exit question: Why didn’t the Governor just stab Andrea on the ground outside the prison and leave her for dead? Dragging her back to the prison and putting her in the dungeon reminded me of Scott begging Dr. Evil to just shoot Austin Powers already instead of designing some incredibly elaborate, ultimately escapable torture device for him. Coming next week: To save the prison, Rick must battle the Governor’s tank of sharks with frickin’ laser beams on their heads.

Comments

I only have one word for this “IDIOT!!!!!”

allahpundit’s first name must be “Nero”…..

williamg on March 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

hahahahahahaha laser beams! hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe!

Poor Andrea…

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Haters are going to hate.

tomas on March 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Do you really believe he got away unscathed, Mr. Sourpuss?

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Time for the weekly grumble thread.

Allahpundit

Grumble.

Good enough?

listens2glenn on March 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The question for the actors and actresses of the entire series:
Is there life after Dead?

michaelo on March 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

new Game of Thrones trailer, EPIC!

commodore on March 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

10 COMMENTS .. OR BUST!

Pork-Chop on March 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

new Game of Thrones trailer, EPIC!

commodore on March 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Tron soundtrack? lol

tom daschle concerned on March 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Allah really lol grumble?

There isn’t much on tv that’s good to watch, I can count on one hand shows worthy of viewing…

This happens to be one of them!

I read ALL the Game of Thrones books, and am saving up to buy the tv series… I imagine it is worthy also, I so loved the books!

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Does any of them wear a hoodie and look like…

Electrongod on March 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

10 COMMENTS .. OR BUST!

Pork-Chop on March 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I busted it :)

Electrongod on March 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

If I wanted to watch unappealing characters interact with mindless zombies I’d watch MSNBC.

I haven’t watched The Walking Dead since the first season. My only updates come from Allahp. Well him and one of the ASMs in my son’s troop. he still really likes it.

rihar on March 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I remember hoping Andrea would be blown up at the CDC in season 1. Now there have been two episodes this season focused on Andrea and the Govenor. What are the producers thinking?

Hera on March 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM

The only good thing about this episode was the soundtrack while they were in the warehouse. Which was the worst scene of the episode.

Speaking of the warehouse… of the thousands of different hiding spots Andrea could’ve picked between the town and the prison how the hell would the Governor drive right up to a specific building and walk right to a specific door and magically have it be the one place she was hiding? How very convenient.

And I’m a fairly fit guy, but I couldn’t have kept up Andrea’s running pace from the town down who knows how many miles of road. And in boots!

And why are all these Walkers ninja like quiet until they surprise attack but then they never stop making their zombie noises any other time?

And Milton is a pussy.

CVMA-Dredd on March 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Do you really believe he got away unscathed, Mr. Sourpuss?

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I’m thinking that the guv got chewd on as well. That would make this guy even more dangerous. He doesn’t have much time left. I am hoping for an epic Lethal Weapon type deathwish scenario.

VengeanceIsMine on March 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You haven’t quite figured out the “crazy” and “revenge” part of humanity yet, have you?

Exit question: Why watch a show you don’t like?

Dongemaharu on March 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

VengeanceIsMine on March 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

He’s already reached that state. When they attacked the prison, he was standing out firing his gun in the open, oblivious of the need for any cover. However, he should be breaking out in the sweats, soon.

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Funny how Allah keeps talking about how much the show sucks yet he keeps watching it.

If I don’t like a show I don’t watch it, just like everyone else in the world.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The Gov’s lieutenant is having second thoughts about this upcoming battle. Also, the little guy with glasses, (who wanted to examine Hershel’s stump) will play a part in turning on the Gov. Carl will find a mini-gun half way into the battle, and will be heard saying “trust me”.

Or, Kurt Russel will suddenly show up with his patch and run the Governor out of town.

Rovin on March 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The Guv is evil… he collected heads and kept his zombie daughter alive, he kills for the heck of it…

If he gets the chance he is gonna torture Andrea, bad…

I hope he got bit lol…but then if he dies, there goes the series!

Tho I would love nothing more than for Marchonne to de-jaw him and rip his arms out and have him follow her around like a tame zombie on a chain.

Buaaaahhhh hahahaha…

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Excuse me? She raped Shane in Season 2a and she was chased in to the woods by a herd of zombies in Season 2b. Pretty interesting to me.

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

people actually watch……The Bible.

many of us read it too.

touche’

ted c on March 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Allah watches shows that suck, and avoids ones that are good.

Why?

don’t ask me…

ted c on March 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Characters have to constantly develop and evolve…

I like where I think this is going.

I shall stay ‘glued’ until the end!!

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM

ted c on March 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Watching that too!! Last nights episode was awesome!! I saw the repeat tho later on…

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Cheer up Allah. You’ll get to see Andrea tortured next week.

I predict The Governor killing Andrea, and dropping her off as a Zombie at the Prison as a Present with a bow on top for Rick & Company.

portlandon on March 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Overall i liked this episode though they could have mixed it up with at least a bit from the prison.

CW on March 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Don’t forget that the Gov has military grade weapons from when he attacked the National Guard unit. Does anyone remember whether Martinez and Merle were involved in that? They must have been. I don’t know why some people think Martinez is not all that bad. They murdered those poor soldiers. He is just as psycho as the Gov.

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I can see a rebellion happening in the Guv’s back yard, as word spreads about what he plans to do…I do not believe but a handful know what the Guv is all about, and the people I am sure are not gonna willingly participate in a slaughter…

Remember when he and his henchmen shot up the soldiers? He had but a handful backing him at that time…

Who burned up the zombies?

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

They need to go back to the drawing board when they make heads that they crush with a shovel. Sure it bloody but it put a skull in it so it does not look like a rubber mask with goo inside it. No body walker or not will survive being burned. Water in the brain will still boil to cause the skull to blow up and what left of the brain to cook. Sure it is gory but they are on the verge of tuning into a bad B-movie on the walker affects.

tjexcite on March 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I like the twists and turns…

Can almost predict what’s gonna happen next and whoomp there it is somthing completely different!

This is a good thriller/psycho/drama…

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Alla STFU and change the channel. Nobody likes a whiner and a complainer. Is HotAir now a place for its bloggers to post about TV shows they don’t like? Get a life.

Jackalope on March 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

tjexcite on March 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Yeah a few zombie deaths were a bit dubious…

But I am not that picky lol…

That ‘dark’ side of me likes to see them get ‘axed’!!

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Jackalope on March 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Woah! Chill out!! :-)

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Worst episode of a good season, I’m wary about the next placeholder before the finale.

It begins with another too little, too late vignette to show that Michonne, Sun Tzu with no social skills, has a heart.

After driving through the field to come within a car length of her, the Governor can’t bother jumping out of the truck to grab her? That must have been a mystical forest of healing powers for tired blonde lawyers who spend afternoons running on roads with miles of visibility.

Because her TSA-approved pocket knife has to be the most lethally accurate and reliable instrument forged since Thor’s hammer, the Guv likely wanted a clean shot–with no unsportsman-like sprays of full-automatic fire from the driver’s seat.

Did an alien, who never met a man, write how Ty’s backstory of saving whatsherface emasculated her husband?

derit on March 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Who burned up the zombies?

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Milton or Martinez.

Lanceman on March 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Who burned up the zombies?

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Milton.

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Aw, crap. I missed the thread. You gotta admit, the shovel to the zombie head was the greatest evah.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Naw, Andrea won’t have to endure much torture. Milton is stepping it up, and he likes her.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I think Milton’s ghey. Too effeminate. But the shovel was awesome!

SauerKraut537 on March 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Jackalope on March 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Talk about a whiner!

Hey, anyone notice that the Gov is Ed’s long lost brother?

Rovin on March 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Wait wait…

the warehouse is empty– except for a stairwell filled with ZOMBIES! Because that stairwell is full of zombies, so it must be the biggest, loudest one-way zombie trap in the world!

WTF?

Nethicus on March 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

… but a zombie fire pit (especially the next day) is hard to beat. So us Pavlovian puppies will be back.

profits101 on March 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Milton and Tyreese are going to pull Andrea’s fat out of the fire but Milton will be toast in the process. My WAG.

jnelchef on March 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

profits101 on March 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

That must of stunk something fierce. But if you fell in, they could still bite you. I don’t know who I hate most: the zombies that sneak up behind you or the lurker zombies who play dead.

Blake on March 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Why didn’t Andrea use her knife to pop holes in the gov’s tires or bite his hand when he grabbed her at the prison?

Who torched the walker pit and trailer? Martinez or Milton?

AP does make a valid point about Phillip chasing Andrea in the warehouse. There is no suspense because we know the Govenor is going to be in the finale. Having Martinez track Andrea down would’ve been better.

RedRobin145 on March 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

The Walking Dead is a Sadomasochist’s Soap Opera. The only thing worse is the 30 minutes of glad handing and fawning that goes on afterwards on Talking Dead.

Kaptain Amerika on March 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Bah, BATES MOTEL started tonight aad it’s already sooo much better than TWD.

JohnBrown on March 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Very boring episode. Lost did a much better job with their warring factions on the island.

Daemonocracy on March 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Andrea who?

claudius on March 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM

derit o

The one before sucked too.

xblade on March 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Why do all these losers who hate the show keep watching it?

Are they just stupid? Did they lose their remote and can’t figure out how to change channels without it?

Adjoran on March 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

If I don’t like a show I don’t watch it, just like everyone else in the world.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Not everyone, evidently.

Solaratov on March 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Are they just stupid?

Adjoran on March 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Naw, they’re just narcissists showing that they’re oh-so-superior to arguably the best show that’s come around in years.

John the Libertarian on March 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Rovin on March 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Ha-ha — dueling eye patches! I’d be rooting for Snake.

For once, I mostly agree with Allahpundit. The only redeeming part of last night’s show was that we got more evidence that Tyreese is a good guy, and it kind of gives me hope for Rick’s group to know that Tyreese still has a mind of his own despite remaining in Woodbury. I also wish Milton would grow a pair.

PS— I think Morgan torched the zombies.

jix on March 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Because he’s a weirdo and kook and he’ll probably get his jollies. It’s amazing how much they’ve sanitized the Gov from the comics. Really sick stuff there.

Still better than 99% of what’s offered on TV nowadays. Would you rather have another series like Girls?

kim roy on March 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I feel for anyone who hasn’t already ditched the TV series in favor of Telltale’s awesome game.

Like, there is absolutely NO REASON to continue watching the series after the first season of the game.

None whatsoever.

mintycrys on March 19, 2013 at 3:02 AM

…but let’s face it, no one watching it seriously believed the Governor would be eaten.

Uh, Allah, you obviously are not familiar with the original graphic comics series the Walking Dead is based on.

In the comics, The Governor most definitely ends up a blue plate special, and not in a nice way.

pilamaye on March 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM

None whatsoever.

mintycrys on March 19, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I watched the first episode and quit when they ate his horse. That was too much for me. Then I tried it again and picked the day they covered themselves in zombie guts. That was just plain dumb.

Then this past weekend.. my son was watching the series 2 on Netflix. I sat down. I couldn’t get back up. I’m hooked. But I’ll wait until season 3 is over. I hate watching something for an hour a week. Marathons are so much better.

JellyToast on March 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM

I’ve been rooting for the zombies for a while now, and particularly against Andrea because her character is so dense. The bright side of her being alive this long is that we have a good candidate to kill off in the season finale.

Othniel on March 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM

RedRobin145 on March 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Or just take the truck, since he left it running with the lights on.

Or, she could have just hot wired one of the many abandoned cars in Woodbury. Probably a useful skill to learn considering the circumstances.

WTF?

Nethicus on March 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

That’s easy. Zombies herd themselves. So, they are probably stupid enough to go up one set of stairs and then back down another with a shut door and just stop there. And then they sleep until they hear a noise or smell fresh flesh.

LoganSix on March 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Or just take the truck, since he left it running with the lights on.
LoganSix on March 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I was literally screaming this at the TV as she slowly and wearily exited the warehouse. She could hear he was still busy fighting the walkers, she had plenty of time to jump in there and take off. Had to chalk it up to being blonde. (apologies to non-fictional blondes).

kooly on March 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Allah, you’ve got to stop whining. I respect you man, but, give it a rest.

There ARE some of us who enjoy watching character development. And as logic dictates, some characters are likable, and some are not. It goes without saying. Still, that does not mean that those not likable still do not undergo that development.

“Andrea” has gone from a girl who literally wanted to give up and
“opt out” at the CDC with Jackie…Were it not for Dale. She then went through a transformation from someone who wanted to fit in and contribute, to someone who was willing to fight and die when the heard came calling at Herschel’s ranch, to someone trying to hold on to what remains of a shred of decency (when the zombie world around you tells you not to).

If we have arrived at a place where we have to constantly whine, and see weakness, in someone who merely wants to do good, and remain as good as she can be…What have WE become in a non-zombie world?

Yes, I may be getting to serious about this but…I get tired of the constant calls for “MORE ZOMBIE ATTACKS!! MORE ZOMBIE BLOOD!!” – Please, if it were a show just about that, the ratings would tank. And I’m not suggesting those calls are just from Allah or a few here. I’ve seen them all over the internet.

This is TV. There has to be character development. Look at Shane – he want from a stand-up, take-no-shit kinda guy, to a psycho. But, in reality, what happened to his character is what would happen to any number of people put in that same environment. Who he was, at heart…a protector…became so finely tuned that he perceived EVERYTHING as a threat, or potential threat.

C.h.a.r.a.c.t.e.r d.e.v.e.l.o.p.m.e.n.t

Talismen on March 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My comment got eaten so sorry if this is a duplicate:

All they show is the gov. driving up to the warehouse in the truck and stopping. They do not show him getting out and leaving it running.

Why would Andrea waste time stabbing tires when as far as she knows the gov has been eaten? To those of you who think hotwiring cars is easy, you watch too many movies. The cars outside the prison — even if you could hotwire them or had the keys, they either ran out of gas or had the gas siphoned out or the batteries are dead.

Andrea is an alpha female and the best shot of the group. She’s not leaving the series.

Blake on March 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

The wife and I watch this show just to laugh at it now. Especially since nothing else is on Sunday.

There are so many holes in the writing of this show.

matd on March 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Andrea’s stairwell move was brilliant. She opens the door knowing it’s filled with sleeping zombies, ducks behind the door and lets the zombies file out and swarm the Gov.

Blake on March 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

new Game of Thrones trailer, EPIC!

commodore on March 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Looks great. I hope they do Storm of Swords justice, especially one big scene…

Wait, this is a Walking Dead thread.

Nick_Angel on March 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Andrea is the annoying sorta-bright but utterly mis-educated utopian do gooder (the “civil rights lawyer” background? classic) who ends up as a useful idiot aiding and abetting a despot (like the Governor). She caught on way too late, and I am hoping I get to enjoy seeing her suffer the consequesnces for a while next show.

krome on March 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I quit watching the show, when half of it started revolving around the fortified Mayberry.

It became boring.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

AP really loves the show, but pretending to find fault with it and therefore complain about it, gives him the excuse to start a thread on it.

It’s called trolling your own site.

keep the change on March 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My biggest grip is the zombies that leap from just outside camera range. This is the worst of cheap horror effects. Andrea leans against a tree for a few seconds and my son says, “Watch this Dad, a Zombie is going to grab her, even though there wasn’t one in sight when she first leaned against the tree.”

Sure enough, suddenly there were three.

Bulletchaser on March 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Blake on March 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Its called having all your bases covered especially when Andrea’s life (and her friends) are at stake.

RedRobin145 on March 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

RedRobin145 on March 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

She did. She threw 30 zombies on the Gov and heard him running out of ammo and yelling in pain. It’s dark, zombie infested, and she only has a knife. Her goal was to get the hell out of there asap.

Rick could have easily killed the Gov when he had a chance. But no one rags on him. It’s always the lead female characters that get dissed.

Blake on March 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

krome on March 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Well she was woefully typecast, as she’s the hottest woman left on the show. Everyone knows the do-gooder, liberal type woman is horrifically ugly.

Polish Rifle on March 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Blake on March 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Oh please, don’t make this a sexist issue now. Andrea needs to die, I look forward to it happening just as I did with Rick’s wife not because they were women but because they annoy the hell out of me.

Andrea was one of my favorites in the first season, that quickly changed. All the other females in the show are fine.

Unless you confirm a kill, you don’t assume someone who is chasing you is dead. She did not cover all of her bases and should have slashed his tires, but that’s just Andrea being Andrea and TWD being TWD – dense.

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM

We could be having this discussion about approximately 75% of the content out there – if people behaved in a linear, common sense, intelligent manner all movies and TV shows would be over in about 20 minutes.

It’s because they do stupid, nonsensical, nonlinear things is that we can have three seasons of a series or a complete 2 hr movie. ;)

Just enjoy the ride or change the channel!

kim roy on March 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I don’t know which world is more bizarre: the one in TWD or the one in which some of you claim to live it.

I guess I’m just not a member of the “Big He-Man Girlz Not Allowed Club.”

Rick and Daryl should have killed the Gov and his henchman and there would not be any chasing Andrea in the woods nor the coming war.

Blake on March 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Well she was woefully typecast, as she’s the hottest woman left on the show.

Polish Rifle on March 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Sasha is much hotter.

Foxhound on March 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Unless you mean hot in that ‘Debbie Wasserman Schultz/Creature from the Black Lagoon’ kind of way.

Foxhound on March 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

More proof that TWD is doing excellent:

Blake on March 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM