Er, is Anthony Weiner planning a political comeback?

posted at 7:01 pm on March 16, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Hey, remember that one time, when ex-New York Congressman Anthony Weiner left office in the whirlwind of disgrace resulting from his indecent-exposure/Twitter-mishap scandal and subsequent credulity-shattering attempt to sweep the whole thing under the rug?

…Yeah, I tried to forget about it, too.

Shaking my head, guys. Via Fox News:

Disgraced former Rep. Anthony Weiner spent $106,500 this month on two polls, apparently to test the possibility of staging what would be a stunning political comeback, according to campaign filings yesterday.

“When you spend $50,000 on a poll, that’s the real thing,” said one political insider. “You’re getting everything you can find out from voters. This guy spent a hundred grand.”

Politico reports that the polling may have been him pursuing a couple different options:

Weiner declined comment, and it’s unclear precisely what the polling was for. The New York Post reported earlier this year on a polling survey being conducted tossing Weiner’s name into the mix for city comptroller and for mayor.

A path to the mayoralty is more complicated for Weiner in a crowded field, while the comptroller’s race is all but certain to be won by Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer.

While Weiner would face questions about the scandal, there is a window for him to run for mayor. The Democratic field has yet to gel, with only one candidate, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, showing relatively high name recognition in comparison to the others.

I don’t even know. Maybe the leftover campaign funds from his mayoral prospects before his disastrous fall from grace were just burning a hole in his pocket, but in this not-much-is-sacred day and age, I almost wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he could somehow manage to turn his very public demonstration of mind-blowingly awful judgment, pathological lying, and straight-up lewd creepiness into some sort of political asset. Woof.

Comments

Don’t vote for me, vote for my big BULGE?

astonerii on March 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM

16 oz or less.
Banned!

Electrongod on March 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Why wouldn’t he? He’s burnished his degenerate credentials.

forest on March 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Ted Kennedy murdered Mary Jo and survived politically. Where there is a Weiner there is a way.

BHO Jonestown on March 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

It was all the polling that got Weiner into this mess.

Chuck Schick on March 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM

nobody ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public.

deimos on March 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Er, is Anthony Weiner planning a political comeback?

Huh?

Why would he even, er, expose himself to the inevitable ridicule?

itsnotaboutme on March 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Sanford-Weiner 2016!

HitNRun on March 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ween

Philly on March 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Why not? Mark Sanford is attempting a comeback too, and I’d argue his fall from grace was far worse.

rbj on March 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Ya can’t keep that Weiner down!

29Victor on March 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Put a fork in it..

Electrongod on March 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Weiner and Sanford, two peas in a pod.

Stoic Patriot on March 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I have to say that was the best political flame out I ever saw.

NeoKong on March 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

This slob is endemic of what’s wrong with our country and culture.

There once was a time when a clear moral failing meant you hid your head in shame and at best, when you did show yourself again, you came out of hiding to say “I’m sorry” for the ten thousandth time.

Ever since Clinton and Lewinski it’s been “Yeah I did it, so what.”

Being from New York I guarantee there’s enough idiots registered to put this idiot back on the “public service” gravy train.

ironbill on March 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

ironbill on March 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I don’t know, New Yorkers hate freedom, it will be hard to out-ban Bannburg.

nobar on March 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

The dude got caught sending pictures of his “bulge” to teenagers. Even if your terrorist-supporting spouse has an inside voice at the White House that should be disqualifying. Right? Please tell me I’m right.

It would be interesting to know exactly what these polls asked.

Happy Nomad on March 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Weiner and Sanford, two peas in a pod.

Stoic Patriot on March 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

No. Weiner was soliciting children. Sanford is a creep but kept it legal. They are peas in the same zip code but not the same pod.

Happy Nomad on March 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I don’t know, New Yorkers hate freedom, it will be hard to out-ban Bannburg.

nobar on March 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Nannyberg is finally term limited out. He rigged it last time so he could get another term. Cost him a couple million $ and he just squeezed it out, but that’s it for him. The frontrunner is city Council Speaker Christine Quinn, a radical lesbian who’s running on a platform of mandatory paid sick days for any employer doing business in NYC (imagine how that would work if you owned a small business)

ironbill on March 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

rbj on March 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

How so?

Both Weiner and Sanford were married.

Sanford essentially dumped his family obligations to pursue the object of his attraction which, apparently he intends to marry. His wife left him.

Weiner sent pictures of his crotch to everybody when the target was a teenager he was trying to attract but had never met. His terrorist-loving spouse stuck by him.

Please explain why Sanford’s fall from grace was worse.

Happy Nomad on March 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

i think you’re all jealous of his looks.

GhoulAid on March 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Happy Nomad on March 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Isn’t it amazing?

A member of the House of Representatives sends a photograph of himself in a state of arousal to a teenager and for so many (meaning Liberals) there’s no outrage, no “go away,” no banishment forever.

Instead it’s “he cares about our issues and concerns.”

ironbill on March 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Here’s how it happened:
Hillary: Your man should make a comeback.
Huma: Really? How can he? I mean the shame!
Hillary: (scoffing) Shame? The man has Balls! We all saw the bulge!
Huma: Indeed!

kooly on March 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM

If he has to feed at the public trough he must not be able to find a job in the real world.

obladioblada on March 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Hey, why not? His dirty laundry has already been hung out to dry.

Scotsman on March 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Instead it’s “he cares about our issues and concerns.”

ironbill on March 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

After the war on women meme for 2012 and Ms. Fluke, it should be obvious women only care about their lady parts.

Anthony does too.

WryTrvllr on March 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I wonder if he’ll get the Sptizer endorsement?

diogenes on March 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

The “Er” in the headline would better read “Ew.”

Drained Brain on March 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Wiener coming out and in again? Hmm, what’s not to like…

Archivarix on March 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM

You know, I think the next time NYC suffers a horrific terrorist attack a collective “meh” from the red states might be in order.

Yeah, that’s how sick of blue state politics I am.

M240H on March 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM

To lefties it only matters if you vote the correct way. Personal character is irrelevant unless it makes the party look bad with independents. He could easily make a comeback in NY.

Fenris on March 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Andrew Cuomo did a lot of damage to our economic with his policies at HUD (pumping money into ‘home loans for loan income’ people – and he’s now governer of New York.

I have to say, the fact that he wasn’t held accountable is very disheartening to me as an American – it tells me our future is to have our lives run by these reprehensable, holier than thou, power hungry, ethically challenged politians. And the people just don’t care.

LilyBart on March 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Anyone who votes for this tool will deserve whatever governance they get.

hpk1942 on March 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Would he really pull such a boner?

CW on March 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

If Sanford is able to bring it off, then so ought Weiner.

Clinton proved to us that when the poll is large, the sleaze factor is small.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM

The second coming of Anthony Weiner.

(a tad premature, but what goes around, comes around)

WryTrvllr on March 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Why? Is he running in the next erection?

The Rogue Tomato on March 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I’m sure an excited Weiner will be doing a lot of polling before he inserts himself into the race.

hepcat on March 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Weiner!

I just like to yell that.

juliesa on March 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Why? Is he running in the next erection?

The Rogue Tomato on March 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

…he wants to twitter Weiner

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He should have no problem winning. Lots of young women recognize his handiwork.

WryTrvllr on March 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

More Weiner! More Weiner!

OxyCon on March 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM

If Democrat Anthony Weiner does run we will see how low the Communist styled Democrat Party has sunk.

Just when we thought they could not get any lower…

DannoJyd on March 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Since Teddy did there is no reason that Mother Teresa Weiner can’t. He didn’t leave a dead girl in the river or anything.

Limerick on March 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Weiner!

juliesa on March 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Limerick on March 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM

There once was a bridge nigh Nantucket
Cross which Ted could not carry his bucket
He said with a sneer
as he dried his veneer
Should they pin this on me I shall duck it.

WryTrvllr on March 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Weiner’s surreal, and oddly self-congratulatory, “Bye Bye Pervert!” resignation speech at the community center was exhibit A in the sickness that is politics. After all the lies and perversions exposed on a national stage, a sane scumbag would have avoided the press, and issued a press release. Weiner decided a speech which sounded part Miss America acceptance speech, part Garrison Keiler monologue was the way to go. I hate these people.

Kungfoochimp on March 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

iPhone pix or it doesn’t happen.

chimney sweep on March 17, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Ween

Philly on March 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Push the Daisies.

/hope I’m not nerding myself

Ugly on March 17, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Butt-Head of Beavis and Butt-Head says, “Huh huh huh…You said ‘Weiner’.”

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 17, 2013 at 5:47 AM

If he does run, he’d have to bring a whole boat load of chutzpa.

Kissmygrits on March 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM

And why wouldn’t he think that in today’s America? Is it different from the upcoming Ashley Judd “vote for me, I’ll show you my t*ts” campaign, which also may just work?

Dirty Creature on March 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Weiner~Holder 2016

DevilsPrinciple on March 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

BHO Jonestown on March 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

His opponents did not make huge posters of Mary Jo and plaster them around or make anonymous youtube dramatizations of the event either. Look, the socialists play vulgar knuckleball and are filthy street fighters. Politics is not sport for affable country club idiots. You want to win? You follow Malone’s advice to Ness.

That’s how Kennedy won.

I see huge posters of Weiner in his underwear everywhere. Didn’t he send that to a high school girl?

dogsoldier on March 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We are lacking leadership everywhere we see in politics. Sanford and Weiner. Not exactly great leaders in any sense of the word.

BetseyRoss on March 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I guess his career in underwear fashion didn’t pan out…

zoyclem on March 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Put a fork in it..

Electrongod on March 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhh ! ! ! ! ! !

O U C H !
I was laughing at everything, till I got to that . . . . .

I swear … I can actually feel it.

Don’t do that again, E-god … : (

listens2glenn on March 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The chances Weiner can get elected again as a Democrat are very good.

Nobody expects even classy behavior from them, never mind moral or legal rectitude.

It is surprising he could not have “got an extra life” by doing a prayer-breakfast with the hypocritical reverend Jackson. Why did he resign? Did his voters not know he was (literally) a putz?

If Charles Schumer ever moves on, this grinning oaf could fill his spot very comfortably.

virgo on March 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Comeback? What makes you think he ever went away?

Gordy on March 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Let me guess, Weiner’s campaign slogan will be “Vote for the Stand-Up Guy!”

As to Ted Kennedy (mentioned above), he disappointed us all by never carrying out his promise that “I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM