Romney at CPAC: “I am sorry that I will not be your president”

posted at 3:21 pm on March 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

Let’s be honest. The only way he could have made this speech truly interesting and newsworthy was by flagellating himself over what went wrong last year. True to form, he passed on that option for something safe, well-meaning, but ultimately pointless instead. BuzzFeed had a post this morning headlined “Mitt Romney wants to apologize to conservatives,” which suggested some eyebrow-raising introspection to come, but Byron York quickly shot that down and in the end nothing particularly penetrating materialized. Here’s the closest he got:

Of course, I left the race disappointed that we didn’t win. But I also left honored and humbled to have represented values we believe in and to speak for so many good and decent people. We’ve lost races before, and in the past, those setbacks prepared us for larger victories. It is up to us to make sure that we learn from my mistakes, and from our mistakes, so that we can win the victories those people and this nation depend upon…

If I were to offer advice to any president of the United States, it would be this: do whatever you can do to keep America the most prosperous and free and powerful nation on earth…

Each of us in our own way will have to step up and meet our responsibility. I am sorry that I will not be your president – but I will be your co-worker and I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you. In the end, we will win just as we have won before, and for the same reason: because our cause is right…and just.

Full transcript here. He did praise the GOP’s governors as thought leaders and pointedly included Chris Christie in his list of blue-state GOPers worth listening to, a gracious note coming from a guy who, more than anyone else, might have reason to endorse CPAC’s decision to exclude Obama’s new best buddy this year. But if the goal was to return to political relevance — which it seems to be, as he’s “eager to contribute to the national debate” — then the quickest path back would have been to use this speech to lay out his self-perceived mistakes in detail as a warning to the next generation of Republican candidates. A missed opportunity, but oh well. At least the crowd received him warmly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why is a noted non-conservative speaking at a conservative convention?

Who’s up next, Rove?

BobMbx on March 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM

A missed opportunity, but oh well. At least the crowd received him warmly.

That’s because they are expecting him to fade away and not stomp on their hopes and dreams anymore.

besser tot als rot on March 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I’m sorry too.

This country had the opportunity to have a smart man with an amazing skill set as our president. I cannot believe we did not elect him.

MayBee on March 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Rachel Maddow for the 2016 GOP nomination!

Let’s just keep moving Left, and one of these days, by-golly, we might win an election!

OhEssYouCowboys on March 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Even if Romney isn’t holding a grudge against Christie, I am.

I’d sooner vote for Hillary Clinton than that fat POS traitor.

DRayRaven on March 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

At least we nominated a good, intelligent non-conservative in 2012, as opposed to a senile and stupid one in 2008. Not that the result was any different.

Archivarix on March 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Mitt Romney is truly a nice and successful gentelman. There isn’t much else to say…

CTSherman on March 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I’m sorry too.

MayBee on March 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

The majority of voters [and I mean this, sincerely] prefer a Dictatorship, as long as the Dictator takes care of them.

America is lost.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Go Romney Go!!!

No, Seriously. Get out. Go.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Go Romney Go!!!

No, Seriously. Get out. Go.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Rimshot.

I couldn’t leave ya hangin’.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I’m sorry Romney isn’t our President (too).

We had an opportunity, challenging, I admit it, to elect an intelligent executive with proven abilities to address and solve our nation’s economic and legislative problems, and instead of electing him, we get an ongoing headache of vanity and dumbing-down corruption from Obama and his craven peers.

I’m sorry Romney isn’t or President. It would have been delightful seeing decent people in the White House.

Lourdes on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on March 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yes, good to replace those leftists like Lugar with real Americans, that really worked out well.

bayam on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Well, mistake #1 would have to be nominating you, now wouldn’t it?
Let’s see, Jerry Ford, George Bush, Bob Dole, John McCain and now Mitt Romney? Does this qualify the Republican Party for Einstein’s definition of insanity???

Lew on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Let’s be honest.

That’s what got us into this mess in the first place. I say we try lying at least 90% of the time. Apparently it works.

forest on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Well, what’s the point of Trump’s appearance?

I saw this as a chance for Romney to close out this chapter. I don’t imagine he’ll be relevant in politics moving forward.

changer1701 on March 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I’m not.

Armin Tamzarian on March 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM

bayam on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I’m not sure if you missed my sarcasm, or if I missed yours.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Archivarix on March 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

The same thing I was thinking. While Romney was not my choice, I respect him. I no longer have any respect for McCain (and his POW sting is beginning to become pretty irrelevant to me).

bw222 on March 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I do not think you were sorry to lose. You were saddened by the end of your enjoyable very expensive roller coaster ride to a job you did not want.

astonerii on March 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Lew on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

With the Bushes, we lost even when we won.

bw222 on March 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

He called Romney “the worst executive I’ve seen” when it comes to leading a political campaign. Romney’s failure to attack Obama’s Benghazi debacle during the foreign policy debate was “cravenness” that came about because his consultants told him “we don’t want to look warlike.”

Caddell also said Romney failed to back his campaign with his own money when it was most needed. “My question for Romney is, you spent $45 million [of your own money] in your 2008 campaign where you didn’t have a chance. Why didn’t you give your campaign a loan in the spring instead of letting Obama define you?”

The best story of CPAC this year was Pat Caddell’s barn burner.

rrpjr on March 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Seriously? Because Romney’s only real accomplishment the last and only time he held elective office as the failed single-term governor of a blue state his only accomplishment was a botch of policy premised on the coercive power of the state to supervise private economic activity called RomneyCare, which became the very model for ObamaCare, which brought forth the Tea Party.

casuist on March 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Romney would have been a REAL president, and, America would be in a much better place today had he been elected – he should have been elected. Romney is far from perfect, but, he loves America , he is a good person and he has actual real-world skills, which instantly puts him head and shoulders above POS-obama. As it stands, America is in grave peril – controlling obama’s slash-and-burn destruction over the next four years is going to be a daunting task – we are going to need ALL HANDS ON DECK! GOD help us!

Pork-Chop on March 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I think Romney would have been a great president; he’s a fixer, the ultimate agitator get’s to keep at it, destroying our country from the inside-out. Conservative street cred? Not so much.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Romney at CPAC: “I am sorry

Now STFU and go away.

Bruno Strozek on March 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Reading the speech, I noted Romney’s emphasis on a strong defense and his firm belief in the overall wisdom of US interventionism in the last half of the twentieth century.

This may seem mundane for a Republican Presidential candidate. But given Romney’s insistence on boosting the defense budget — something I never understood from a political standpoint in last year’s campaign — my sense is this is something that Romney truly believes is at the core of American (and Republican Party) values.

Given the recent rise of Rand Paul (wish he didn’t have two first names, or rather a first and last name reversed), with its implications for a more isolationist policy , I don’t agree with an analysis that this was a “Why bother?” speech.

bobs1196 on March 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

astonerii on March 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

So he spent 5 years running for something he didn’t want? OK. /

changer1701 on March 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

What if they gave a GOP convention, and no Conservative came?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Oh, and Mitt. I want the $100 bucks back. You blew it on ORCA and the worst campaign I’ve ever seen.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Yeah, um… well, I guess there’s some comfort to be had in Romney’s not playing to win. I mean, I guess Romney didn’t play to lose like McCain did.

So yeah. Feel better. Mmmhmm.

Jeddite on March 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Romney at CPAC: “I am sorry that I will not be your president”

i’m devastated, too.

sesquipedalian on March 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

He is not as sorry as I am.

jazzuscounty on March 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

sesquipedalian on March 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

You know what’s awesome? Class warfare, rising gas and food prices, skyrocketing poverty and food stamps, increasing dependence on foreign oil, game-playing with budget cuts PURPOSELY hurting Americans as much as possible, imperial parties and extravagance while the surfs struggle to get by, crippling our healthcare and our privacy simultaneously, shredding the quality of public education….etc etc etc.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

“I left the race disappointed that I didn’t win, but, but I also left honored and humbled to have represented the values we believe in, and to speak for so many good and decent people,” said Romney. “We’ve lost races before in the past but the setbacks prepared us for larger victories. It’s up to us to make sure we learn from our mistakes, and my mistakes, and that we take advantage of that learning to make sure that we take back the nation, take back the White House, get the Senate, and put in place conservative principles.”

Alas, a chair could have betean Obama.

Go away and stay there!

May the water get as hot as Hell, so that the frogs jump out of the pan, quickly. Otherwise, may they all burn.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM

May all who brung/kept Obama be devastated, apace, by him. YOU all deserve NO less, from any side of the isle.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Loser. We’d have been little better off if we had him.

Clear conscience.

MadisonConservative on March 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Apparently Romney still wants to play some role in the politics in the future. If not for himself, but for his son(s?).

I can’t imagine McCain making a speech like that in CPAC.

Sir Napsalot on March 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Sir Napsalot on March 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

In addition to that, Romney still sounds to me like he’d rather be liked/loved.

Sir Napsalot on March 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I still like him and wish he was president. He’s flawed, but who isn’t?

Rusty Allen on March 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Even if Romney isn’t holding a grudge against Christie, I am.

I’d sooner vote for Hillary Clinton than that fat POS traitor.

DRayRaven on March 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I’d vote for neither. I think that we should encourage Rand Paul to run as a libertarian if Krispy Kreme wins.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

But ladies’ parts!! Free birth control!!

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM

So he spent 5 years running for something he didn’t want? OK. /

changer1701 on March 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Yes, he actually did. If he had wanted it, the single most powerful position in the world, he would have done everything morally permissible to win. He barely even tried once he won the nomination. What his goals seems to have been was to thwart anyone else from preventing the Democrats from winning and have a great time flipping the bird to conservatives all the while. Why not? What else would he be doing with his time?

astonerii on March 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

No thank you, Townhall mag, I don’t want a free t-shirt.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

that was painfull. No wonder the idiot lost.

unseen on March 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Enjoy your retirement from the political stage Mitt…Now go away.

workingclass artist on March 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Alas, a chair could have betean beaten Obama.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Romney at CPAC: “I am sorry that I will not be your president”

I’m not. I’m only sorry you got to be the nominee.

Stoic Patriot on March 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The best story of CPAC this year was Pat Caddell’s barn burner.

rrpjr on March 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Caddell seems to be enjoying quite a bit of attention…

workingclass artist on March 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Nice speech from a good person..I wish he was POTUS instead of Obie..Gave it a good shot just came up short.I wish him well in his future endeavors..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

MadisonConservative on March 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

MADCON!!!..Great to see you back posting..Hope all is well..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM

The last time Romney scolded Obama, it was in the Chris Wallace interview where he said he thought it was ungracious to continue disparaging the republicans in the House while expecting them to co operate with him…The next week, Obama tried his phony visits with Republicans.

What will happen this time?

Fleuries on March 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Alas, a chair could have betean beaten Obama.
Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I kept hearing you guys say that. A chair. A ham sandwich. My dog. But, alas, somehow republicans couldn’t manage to drag a former governor, with plenty of private enterprise executive experience, and a successful major international event turnaround to his name.

Funny that. Seems better than a chair.

Genuine on March 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

astonerii on March 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Ridiculous. Of course he tried to win; you don’t run for the nomination twice in 5 years if you don’t Period.

The revisionism that goes on here is hilarious.

changer1701 on March 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Hey … WOW …

Rand Paul introduces ‘LIFE at CONCEPTION’ Act

On Thursday, Sen. Paul introduced S.583, a bill that would implement equal protection under the 14th Amendment for the right to life of each born and unborn human. This legislation does not amend or interpret the Constitution, but simply relies on the 14th Amendment, which specifically authorizes Congress to enforce its provisions.

Pork-Chop on March 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Welcome back, Maddie.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Genuine is genuinely stupid, as always.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Obama accused Romney of being a woman hater. a dog killer, a tax cheat, a felon and a murderer. Romney called Obama a nice guy who was in over his head.

As it turned out, Romney was really describing himself.

Curtiss on March 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Romney is a big time loser, a double loser, losing to loser McCain in 08 and then the double loser to Obammie in 12. This after failing to catch a clue after campaigning FULL TIME for the job for 6+ years and spending what a $1 Billion Bucks! And all the dipwads on HotAir can say is he’s a nice guy….NO he’s a two time loser!

el Vaquero on March 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Curtiss on March 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Most excellent.

Tied in “nots” .

Give Mitt his due, though, the media was NOT going to allow the Dems to lose.

The grave problem for Republicans is not our debt or economy.

They ignore this fact at our peril.

IlikedAUH2O on March 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Funny that. Seems better than a chair.

Genuine on March 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

A chair that always stood on the same 4 legs might have won.

You’re forgetting how many things Mitt was for before he became severely conservative. That and being the godfather of Obamacare gave him little to differentiate himself with the eventual winner.

CTSherman on March 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM

astonerii on March 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

yup well said …
If Romney *spit* had worked as hard as defeating Obama as he did destroying
his opponents in the primaries he would have won … alas he did not therefore
he did not win …

Curtis – excellent point. Romney was a nice guy .. a likable fellow
who did not study his opponent and the Chicago way ….

Madcon – welcome back …

conservative tarheel on March 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

safe, well-meaning, but ultimately pointless

The Mittens 2012 campaign, in perfect (and appalling) miniature.

Kent18 on March 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

100 comments or bust!

steebo77 on March 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Lots of hateful octogenarians in this thread. Good luck.

antisense on March 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

bayam on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Oh, I don’t know….I see guys like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul
doing yeomans work in DC holding these long time
Pantload government parasites (like Lugar) accountable.
You on the other hand, like having these people spend YOUR money
pizzing it away on themselves, their friends, and other assorted
parasites….keep telling yourself that these NON Conservatives
are making a difference in your Life, or anyone’s for that matter.

You’ve set a REALLY low bar for what you deem successful in DC.

Keep up the good work.

ToddPA on March 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Lots of hateful octogenarians in this thread. Good luck.

antisense on March 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yea, that 20 something crowd really loved Romney..:)

idesign on March 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I’m sorry too.

MayBee on March 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Ditto. Mitt and Ann both believed he’d win, until the votes from Ohio started coming in.

Paul-Cincy on March 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yea, that 20 something crowd really loved Romney..:)

idesign on March 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Ignore them at your own peril…:) You are not going to live forever…:)

..:)

antisense on March 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I assume you live in Ohio. As do I. Ohio is one of the worst states in many categories of life, not the least being the number of public employees. It is very hard to vote against the State here these days.

antisense on March 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

…then the quickest path back would have been to use this speech to lay out his self-perceived mistakes in detail as a warning to the next generation of Republican candidates.

Not the time or place for that. In addition to being inappropriate, many of his mistakes can be attributed to having clueless advisors who erred in pursuing things like their poor strategy for media buys. What’s he supposed to do? Bore CPAC audience to death on this topic?

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

It’s nice to see you.

Rusty Allen on March 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Lots of hateful octogenarians in this thread. Good luck.

antisense on March 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

UnSkewedPolls.com has Romney trending at 115% of the 18 – 25 vote, and climbing! *E*L*E*C*T*A*B*L*E*!!!

Kent18 on March 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I thought Mitt’s speech was very good but I’m disappointed that he didn’t point out that the GOP’s most urgent need is better pundits.

We’ve just been through a campaign where Obama made gaffe after gaffe throughout the campaign without any criticism from his side except then Mitt wiped the floor with him in the 1st debate. And at CPAC Mitt is supposed to self-flagellate in order to satisfy the sorry pundits on our side who attacked him throughout the campaign.

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

yup well said …
If Romney *spit* had worked as hard as defeating Obama as he did destroying
his opponents in the primaries he would have won … alas he did not therefore
he did not win …

Curtis – excellent point. Romney was a nice guy .. a likable fellow
who did not study his opponent and the Chicago way ….

Madcon – welcome back …

conservative tarheel on March 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

He worked his ass off, moron.

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

It’s nice to see you.

Rusty Allen on March 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

He worked his ass off, moron.
Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

That he did and his many of his loudest critics who like to think of themselves as “principled conservatives” sat on their asses on Election Day while screeching that it wasn’t fair to say they were aiding and abetting BO’s reelection with their inaction.

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hello stranger..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

On point:

The crowd responded, I think, with genuine warmth and a little sadness. Whatever differences they’ve had, no conservative in that room doubts Romney would have been a better president than Obama. (And the right-wing bloggers who will jump to contest that point tell you everything you need to know about their view of the country and ideological purity.)

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I’m sorry that the right wing was forced to choose between a laughably disguised liberal and a 3rd party vote which they were mentally incapable of comprehending. It was an insult to everyone with more perception than alchemist and more brains than libfree.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I’m sorry Mitt is not president, too. He is a gentleman and leagues above the garbage pile that currently occupies the Oval Office.

Philly on March 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Plus, he was fighting an uphill battle.

The incumbent almost always wins.

Every time the incumbent has lost, it has been in an election where they were vigorously primaried by their own party (think Ted Kennedy vs. President Carter) or a 3rd party candidate took a chunk of votes away from them in the general election (think President Bush vs. Ross Perot).

Obama wasn’t primaried and there wasn’t a third party candidate.

Even so, he still won with fewer votes than he had 4 years earlier.

JadeNYU on March 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

astonerii on March 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

The revisionism that goes on here is hilarious.

changer1701 on March 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Even if he had to do so to pass through The Pearly Gates, Stoner couldn’t bring himself to say something even remotely fair-minded about Mitt Romney. Stoner is without class.

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Romney at CPAC: “I am sorry that I will not be your president”

…not as sorry as I am!…or as depressed either!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM

MadisonConservative on March 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

…D A M N…!
HELLO THERE! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Loser. We’d have been little better off if we had him.

Clear conscience.

MadisonConservative on March 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

A little. A few less fights to fight. Certainly not this gun BS. The morons like Kerry and Hagel and Brenner. What else might come up in the next three years?

Oh well.

Nice to see you MC.

kim roy on March 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I wish he were our president, too, because at least he would have seriously addressed our spending problem this president doesn’t seem to believe we even have.

scalleywag on March 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

No intelligent conservative would quarrel with Romney’s platform, which was quite conservative, or his excellent running mate. I applaud Romney’s love of country for taking on such a difficult task in the face of so much idiocy in his own party.

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

…blahblah and a 3rd party vote which they were mentally incapable of comprehending.
MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What does that mean?

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

No intelligent conservative would quarrel with Romney’s platform

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

1. Lame.
2. I’m not quarreling with his election platform. I’m trying to point out that he had an arm-long record of not governoring as a conservative!

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

What does that mean?

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

You d@mn well know what it means, you’re not one of the trolls.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

good grief, AP.

The classiest political speech of our lifetimes was just delivered and you still managed to be negative about it.

Crefonso on March 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

It was a very good speech from a very good man. America lost a chance for an honorable presidency this time around.

Rusty Allen on March 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

good grief, AP.

Crefonso on March 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

People who’ve never been on the stage have no clue how difficult it is.

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

You d@mn well know what it means, you’re not one of the trolls.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

No, I don’t know what that means. Are you saying Mr. Pot Man was a choice for “conservatives” as a 3rd Party candidate if only they were “mentally” capable of “comprehending” it?

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

The classiest political speech of our lifetimes was just delivered

Crefonso on March 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

It’s always so entertaining (in a making-fun-of-the-profoundly-disabled sort of way, I mean) to watch the Tiger Beat “conservatives” gurgle and coo girlishly over their CINO dream date, Mittens; like watching Twi-hard teenyboppers melt, en masse, over a glossy photo of Robert Pattinson.

O-for-2, now, in consecutive losses against the most manifestly beatable Democratic presidential candidate in modern history, while moronically repeating the GOP’s failed, hapless Oh, Please, God, Not One Of Those Icky Conservatives! policy. What Team CINO needs to be asking themselves, now, is: which is genuinely more important to us, as a party — beating Hillary and/or Michelle in 2016, or pointlessly sticking it to the SoCons a third time in a row?

Learn from history… or else, repeat it. Your call.

Kent18 on March 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM

or pointlessly sticking it to the SoCons a third time in a row?

Anyone who has the support of all of 90% of the media and all of Hollywood and academia is not manifestly beatable. It is you who needs to learn, as you live in a fantasy world.

I’m a socon. How did Romney stick it to the socons, fantasist?

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Don’t be so juvenile because I called you on being intentionally obtuse.

I’ll explain it again, just for your benefit:

At what is probably the last election before the Demoncrats either seize power outright or get an unbeatable vote block, we were presented with a choice of Obama or Obama-lite. And even THEN, when the spineless oafs in the GOP had gone through a pack of clowns to come up with someone who’s record included being the proud author of the grandfather of Obamacare conservatives still refused to vote 3rd party. This after years of supposedly being ready to do so if the GOP screwed up again.

But even at the 11th hour and 59th minute…it was like all the excited talk about the Tea Party, all the harumphing about leaving the GOP if they wouldn’t grow a spine…simply went *poof*. Like for so many people there was absolutely no option but to vote for one of the Big Two or stay home, no matter how bad things got.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Vote for one of the Big Two or stay home! No choice, except for the brain dead who are too stupid to recognize the monumental differences between Romney and Obama. All that talk about a Third Party is the work of children.

Basilsbest on March 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Instead they stayed home or wrote in Sarah Palin. Now, they were absolutely right to finally abandon the party that had rolled over for liberals for decades, not even put up a fight to Obama the first time and presented them with Mittens for a challenger.was absolutely no option but to vote for one of the Big Two or stay home, no matter how bad things got.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I’m not buy the stay home voter crap. Are there some wacko birds out there ? Yes- but every state had many other races, referendums and propositions to be voted on. It was not just a do or die for just the Prezzie election. And no true conservative would pass up the chance to vote against Public Enemy President Revenge. All the dirtiness and liberal lies that we’re dumped on Romney had to bother even the most hardened con heart.

Not buying the missing voter meme. 10 million seniors again, will pass on between ’12 and ’16, and that alone puts a pretty hefty dent in turnout. And they are replaced with 18-22 year olds who will vote for JZ or Beoynce or some other celebrity BS.

The stay at home conservative voters deal is a myth.

FlaMurph on March 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Rommney would have been a great president, but I knew we were toast when Clint Eastwood decided to do a Red Skelton bit at the convention instead of, you know, helping.

Buck Turgidson on March 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Buck Turgidson on March 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Yep. At least Clem Kadiddlehopper was funny.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 16, 2013 at 5:31 AM