Romney at CPAC: “I am sorry that I will not be your president”

posted at 3:21 pm on March 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

Let’s be honest. The only way he could have made this speech truly interesting and newsworthy was by flagellating himself over what went wrong last year. True to form, he passed on that option for something safe, well-meaning, but ultimately pointless instead. BuzzFeed had a post this morning headlined “Mitt Romney wants to apologize to conservatives,” which suggested some eyebrow-raising introspection to come, but Byron York quickly shot that down and in the end nothing particularly penetrating materialized. Here’s the closest he got:

Of course, I left the race disappointed that we didn’t win. But I also left honored and humbled to have represented values we believe in and to speak for so many good and decent people. We’ve lost races before, and in the past, those setbacks prepared us for larger victories. It is up to us to make sure that we learn from my mistakes, and from our mistakes, so that we can win the victories those people and this nation depend upon…

If I were to offer advice to any president of the United States, it would be this: do whatever you can do to keep America the most prosperous and free and powerful nation on earth…

Each of us in our own way will have to step up and meet our responsibility. I am sorry that I will not be your president – but I will be your co-worker and I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you. In the end, we will win just as we have won before, and for the same reason: because our cause is right…and just.

Full transcript here. He did praise the GOP’s governors as thought leaders and pointedly included Chris Christie in his list of blue-state GOPers worth listening to, a gracious note coming from a guy who, more than anyone else, might have reason to endorse CPAC’s decision to exclude Obama’s new best buddy this year. But if the goal was to return to political relevance — which it seems to be, as he’s “eager to contribute to the national debate” — then the quickest path back would have been to use this speech to lay out his self-perceived mistakes in detail as a warning to the next generation of Republican candidates. A missed opportunity, but oh well. At least the crowd received him warmly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yep. At least Clem Kadiddlehopper was funny.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 16, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Now there’s a dusty old name…I haven’t seen that sketch for at least ten years. Still remember it was funny!

MelonCollie on March 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Hello stranger..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Cheers:)

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

There is some amazing irony in your commentary – someone who sounds remarkably like a spoiled child calling me “juvenile” and “deliberately obtuse” for not being able to make sense of your delusional fantasies. I’ll have to leave it to others to make sense of your blatherings – which begin with the false premise- that the narcissistic Marxist grifter Obama and Romney are like ideological fraternal twins. It then wanders off into something I can’t comprehend. I gather it has something to do with being pissed off that Sarah Palin didn’t run as a third party Tea Party candidate, and thus being left with no choice but to stomp your foot, pick up your ball, and stay home? Or maybe you had Ron Paul in mind? Who the hell knows. I’m not going to waste any more time trying to make sense of your nonsensical ‘analysis’.

Buy Danish on March 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Romney did not rise to the occasion in the election, so why expect him to do so here?

Sherman1864 on March 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM

He lost by 3%, not a blow out, but a loss is a loss. He is a good and accomplished man who would have been a far better president than Obama who had no real accomplishments before his political life began. Romney isn’t a conservative and maybe that is why he lost but he is a respectable and humble man.

Dollayo on March 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM

He should be sorry he lost because he passed on the opportunity to unseat the Liar of Benghazi (oh, yes, where is that report now? What has the admnistration discovered?).

In a sense, this lack of political judgment disqualified him. We should have known not to nominate a person unable to beat McCain.

virgo on March 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM