Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on March 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

Should the Republican party abandon social conservatism? Take a turn toward non-interventionism? Moderate on taxes and spending? While a number of pundits and politicians have said ‘yes’ to one or more of these questions, especially since Mitt Romney’s loss in November, Marco Rubio answered with a resounding ‘no’ during his speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday…

“There’s this fear that America has changed, that our people have changed, that we’ve reached this point in time where we have too many people who want too much from government and maybe the changes that happened are irreversible and we’ll never be the same again,” Rubio said. “I want you to understand that’s not true.” Speaking of one economically struggling family he knows, Rubio said, “They’re not freeloaders. They’re not liberals.” But if they don’t see Republicans offering solutions, they might conclude government is the only answer.

Rubio has been in the news for the past couple of months making a push for immigration reform–a stance that, although squarely in line with the only Republicans to win the presidency in the past 40 years, puts him at odds with many conservatives. But during his CPAC speech, Rubio didn’t mention immigration. Rather Rubio argued that the three-legged stool of the conservative movement is as sturdy as ever.

***

Paul’s positions may sound refreshing today, but they would have been much more in keeping in a bygone era. It wasn’t until Republicans embraced the more Rubio-esque ideas that they began winning elections. That’s why his ideas are now considered “old.”

That’s not to say past is prologue. Maybe the world has changed? But it is to say that the old versus new paradigm is more complicated.

The reason the Rubio vs. Paul contrast is so exciting is that on one hand, both are young senators elected in 2010 during the tea party zeitgeist. But on the other hand, they really do represent an ideological clash over the heart and soul of the GOP.

***

Before Paul spoke, his supporters had distributed STAND WITH RAND posters that featured a cool, “Mad Men”-style rendering of the senator. (Indeed, a large number of people stood the entire time Paul spoke.) But there’s no doubt that many of those cheering Paul were doing so mostly because he had the courage and the smarts not just to stand up to the White House but to back the Obama administration into a corner over presidential power. To them, the specific issue involved in the filibuster — drone warfare — was less important than the fact that Paul took a stand…

Rubio, nearly a decade younger than Paul, delivered a smoother and easier message. “What I sense from a lot of people that I’ve been talking to is this fear that somehow America has changed, that our people have changed,” he said. “I want you to understand that’s not true. Our people have not changed.” Americans still work hard, still pay their taxes, still volunteer in their hometowns, Rubio said. Yes, the world has changed, particularly the world of technology. But traditions — traditional marriage, traditional values — are still good…

One serious problem for the party is that there is no living embodiment of the our-values-live-on message. There’s no beloved former president who can stand before the crowd and remind them of the greatness of their cause. Reagan is gone, and George H.W. Bush, respected but not loved like his predecessor, is fading from the scene. The natural candidate for the job, of course, would be George W. Bush, but that’s just not possible. While conservatives respect Bush for the job he did protecting the country from terrorist attack after Sept. 11, in many ways they are still struggling to climb out of the hole he dug for them.

Those Democratic events where a beloved Bill Clinton wows the crowd? That can’t happen for Republicans. Not until the new leader steps out of the pack.

***

How long can the lovefest last? Once the mass Republican audience—especially Mitt Romney voters—really thinks about the implications of Rand Paul and his ideas, the post-filibuster love may sour. Paul’s chief of staff Doug Stafford told Business Insider, “Rand is one of the only people who can speak to libertarians, social conservatives, as well as your average mainstream Republican voter.” In theory, yes.

But even in areas where Paul’s libertarianism shouldn’t be too controversial—like his five-year path to a balanced budget—hardly any of his political colleagues are willing to play along, and there’s no mass constituency forcing them to. It’s not likely the rest of his party – whether rank-and-file voter or office-seeking politician – will get enthusiastic about his attempts to curb the federal drug war either.

Paul’s problems with Republican orthodoxy run deeper still. In order to keep her head from exploding from cognitive dissonance while remaining on the new right side of Republican history, the Washington Post’s right-wing columnist Jennifer Rubin praised Paul’s filibuster by claiming that he “wasn’t attacking the war on terror.”

But Paul absolutely was attacking the war on terror…

***

No issue better illustrates Rubio’s connection to the failed Republican Washington establishment than his embrace of President Bush’s last great policy failure: amnesty for the millions of illegal immigrants currently in the United States. He is currently working with McCain on another immigration bill right now.

In contrast to his free enterprise rhetoric, however, Rubio’s immigration plan is just a continuation of the crony capitalist policies that so compromised Bush’s big government compassionate conservatism. As The Washington Examiner‘s Tim Carney notes today, Rubio’s immigration plan includes a permanent guest worker program that allows farmers to inflate their workers wages by offering something no other employer can: a path to citizenship…

Do conservative activists want to go back to the big government compassionate conservatism policies of Bush and McCain? Or do they want to explore the libertarian path being paved by Paul?

***

I think Poulos is onto something regarding younger voters – charitably defined as anyone under 45 years old – regardless of political ideology. The expectations for government are changing in all sorts of unanticipated ways. A majority of Americans continues to say that government is doing too much but a majority also wants the government to provide basic safety net functions. Folks such as Ryan and Barack Obama seem to read that situation as one in which the state can and should continue to provide not simply for the poorest among us but for the vast “middle class” that usually includes about 90 percent of people. That was George W. Bush’s compassionate conservatism – and Ryan voted for No Child Left Behind, Medicare drugs, and TARP and auto bailouts – and it’s Obama’s expansive notions as well. I think it’s credible to see Ryan (and many conservative Republicans, Obama, and the Senate Democrats (who have zero pulse among them) as in the same basic camp of still expecting the government to be a warm blanket that pretty much covers everything you do in your regular day.

What’s different now is that there is an alternative out there – in the form of characters such as Rand Paul, Justin Amash, and other “wacko birds” – that is looking increasingly viable. When you’ve got conservative and libertarian Republicans attacking the garrison state for 13 hours straight and also championing copyright and IP reform, gay marriage, pot and hemp legalization, even self-styled “Young Guns” such as Paul Ryan and historically youthful presidents such as Barack Obama start looking pretty old pretty quickly.

***

***

As for predictions on who will win the CPAC straw poll on Saturday, Bob Beckel said he is “willing to wager any amount of money” that it will be Rand Paul. And after the enthusiasm that greeted his speech earlier today, that seems like a fair assumption. Dana Perino argued that the winner of CPAC straw poll almost never goes on to win the Republican presidential nomination, so the importance of that honor, especially this far from 2016, may be insignificant…

“Rand Paul is the one guy that worries me very much and most Democrats,” Beckel answered. “In fact, there is some real fear the guy could actually take off.” His colleagues weren’t buying that he was being sincere, but there is some truth to what Beckel was saying. If there’s one Republican who’s riding high from his filibuster and now CPAC, it has to be Rand Paul.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

But, isn’t it the same song? That’s the song that I had in mind.

Resist We Much on March 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

…and I thought I was being quiet…after a few people gave me the WTF? glance…I got louder than the Deep Purple song that was playing on the radio…and people started laughing…I used “King JugEars”…instead of “Obama”…everyone at work knows I NEVER refer to Obama as anything but JugEars even to people I don’t know…who ‘sometimes’ are offended.

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I don’t know how to say it any other way but that the abortion issue is not good for us.

anotherJoe on March 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

If fighting to stop the murder of unborn, innocent lives is not “good for us” then there is nothing good left worth fighting for.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Translation: Dana the Neo-Con believes that Rand Paul will win the straw poll and she’s pi$$ed about it.

HondaV65 on March 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Hey Obama Voter. You enjoying Kerry as SOS, Brenner at CIA and Hagel as Sec of Def? I hope so… YOU VOTED FOR IT!

But to your whine – it’s easy enough to see whether she’s being disingenuous or not. Has the CPAC straw poll winner won the nom in the past few go arounds?

So, Obama Voter, have they?

kim roy on March 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I restored a 78 kz 650 too. My. Grief was the shims for the cam.
that thing screamed.
The grief with goldwings is the carbs. They need clean fuel. They make this stuff called seafoam that helps.

wolly4321 on March 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

…I got some strange looks at work!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

What makes that different from any other day?

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM

….nuttin!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I restored a 78 kz 650 too. My. Grief was the shims for the cam.
that thing screamed.

wolly4321 on March 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Sausalito Summernight?

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Summer of recovery!

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Summer of recovery!

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

When will the boys of Summer have gone?

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

ot/…anybody watching Michigan State/Iowa State?
…I’m having a stroke!…I may need paddles!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

When will the boys of Summer have gone?

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Huple’s cat isn’t Schrodinger’s cat.

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Paul-Walker 2016!! Get off my lawn and pass the grass!!

abobo on March 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

hawks had a healthy lead for much of this game.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

When will the boys of Summer have gone?

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Huple’s cat isn’t Schrodinger’s cat.

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Meh… Schrodinger’s cat is dead…. Died of old age waiting for someone to open the box and discover if he was dead or not… :P

SWalker on March 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

ot/…anybody watching Michigan State/Iowa State?
…I’m having a stroke!…I may need paddles!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

So you’ll be joining me in ICU? I needed the paddles after the UM/Wisc. game :(

wolverinefan on March 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM

anotherJoe on March 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM
You dang libertarian kids! Go do that on John McCain’s lawn.

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I’m hardly a kid.. but with age I hardened on certain subjects such as personal freedoms and evolved on others..

I despise abortion and see the only way to win is not so much to concede but rather get people to nod in agreement.. it is vile, it is disgusting and should be banned for the purpose of birth control, gender selection, age of fetus.. but you’ll never stop it.

Gay Marriage .. does not work for me and 4 years ago was vehement in my views against it. I then was invited to my oldest daughters 30th birthday party that was held at a co-worker of her’s home. They were a gay couple and two men that weren’t flamers, ugly to be around or in your face.. but they were/ are in love. So while I may disagree with the lifestyle and know it does not work for me.. who am I to decide what they should not be able to have with regards to being married. That is a role for a preacher, minister, priest, rabbi etc..not a public officials or government

As some here may believe it is morally reprehensible to be gay or engage in gay sex etc..I came to realize it even more morally reprehensible to deny any couple the right to marry because I disagree with a lifetsyle.

I’m in a business that has me in touch with a lot of left of center people and in so many cases they despise what the democrats do on taxes and entitlements etc.. but because of jerks like Akin and Murdoch etc… they couldn’t hold their nose and vote for republicans.. and guess what, in all honesty I don’t blame them. Ad no matter how high and mighty you may be in your views, you’ll never win elections without the center

Seeing some of the comments here about deviant etc., make me embarrassed to call myself a republican at times. I grew up to believe we stood for personal liberty but to deny the liberty to marry because we set forth laws against it, is wrong.

I loath what Obama, Pelosi and Reid have done to the country but see where they will continue to win as long as we continue to be idiots on issue of personal freedom and liberty with regards to abortion and gay marriage.

3-2-1 one…

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Huple’s cat isn’t Schrodinger’s cat.

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I am saddened by this information….

Hope…/

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

hawks had a healthy lead for much of this game.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

…and they were good!…(last 8 games Iowa has not played like a bunch of progressives)…my kids will be happy!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

anotherJoe on March 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

How about late term on a viable fetus, is that worth squawking about? I ain’t the boss of anyone but can we talk reasonable?

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I take it you don’t pay attention much.

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

…you ain’t the Lone Ranger…Kemosabe!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Did somebody say something about summer?

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Very nice mr. cozmo. howz about this?

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Did somebody say something about summer?

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Not me….

Nope

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Cruz with Palin
2 0 1 6 !
(new bumper sticker)

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I want to see the video..:)

idesign on March 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Snowmobiles and motorcycles.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM

My $0.02:

The States should drive the social conservative agenda, and the Federal Gov’t should drive the fiscal conservative/libertarian agenda. This only works if the Republican party COORDINATES this effort and everybody is committed to it on all fronts. It will take time and dedication.

OT: I hope HotAir picks up on the Common Core reporting that Michelle Malkin and Glen Beck are doing. There needs to be massive spread of truth/information on this; they have spent the last decade + planting this seed and it will not be easily stopped.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Oh yeah, but late night is the time for deep cuts.

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

The GOP gets beat up for its stand on gay marriage and abortion, but it probably loses more votes for its image as the party of the super rich.

Many of those (super rich) the GOP fights for are actually liberal Democrats.

bw222 on March 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Snowmobiles and motorcycles.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM

What? No mention of guns.

Y’all don’t mess up my lawn. I’m gone.

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Y’all don’t mess up my lawn. I’m gone.

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I just pooped on it. Sorry. Couldn’t wait.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Today are the Idus Martii or Idus Martiae.

Bmore, see the painting.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I’ve only watched 3:30 of this excellent video.

A public relations campaign has been launched to gain support in the African-American community for traditional marriage. The campaign is backed by a new coalition of Cook County African-American clergymen and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. They hope to strengthen opposition to the redefinition of marriage bill pending in the Illinois House of Representatives.

Also see France:

The French pro-marriage movement has forced a national conversation on the redefinition of marriage. They’ve flipped public opinion on same-sex marriage: A majority is now opposed to it. And they’ve built support with the general public and attracted many people who are neither conservative nor religious.

Robert Lopez is keeping up with the French here:

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

We’re just one superstar away from the next Conservative revolution.

When it comes we can’t waste time bickering.

Speakup on March 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

This. I just read another column by MM on this today. We. Need. To. Stop. This. NOW!

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I had have this album..

33 and..

1/3..

I don’t have any way to play it though..

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Not sure which album you mean. The first album I owned (’70/71 or so) was best of cream … still have it somewhere … and a turntable. Third album was woodstock.

gh on March 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

What? No mention of guns.

Y’all don’t mess up my lawn. I’m gone.

cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Sure, they can have guns in the video. I was thinking more along the lines of vehicles.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

The reason Rand Paul’s filibuster resonated with conservatives
is because he put action behind his words. We aren’t used to that;
we are used to smoke and mirrors; candidates who eschew conservatism only when it suits their reelection or election campaigns; opportunists all.

The party of dumb (repubs) are only interested in money and power. The party of corruptness (dems)is interested in the progressive socialist/marxist/communist takeover of this country
along with Cap ‘n Tax whereby they can make huge profits while raising your utility rates and manufacturer costs which raises prices on goods you purchase. Then there is the big secret which is being exposed: the UN Agenda 21 which reduces consumption of energy (they do not want you to have air conditioning for one thing, they want to reduce or eliminate the manufacture of products in this country because that uses too much energy, etc. They want our money and resources to go to third world countries
to level the playing field. And if you don’t think that is dumb you do not have a brain.

It is obvious that Rand Paul is interested in following the constitution and bill of rights.

That is enough for me. One can “Stand with Rand” and see that
Ted Cruz, “Cruise with Cruz” is standing right beside him. I am
anxious to see the list of conservatives who follow these leaders.

Amjean on March 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

gh on March 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

White room..

Electrongod on March 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone has children except Ed, and his son is grown. They still need to write up the tracking and state databases. Everyone should know about that.

I started writing on Common Core in January. Lists of posts here:

MM’s posts along with CC white papers and columns by Stanley Kurtz and Phyllis Schlafly, and list of individual and group sites are here:

From Wednesday:

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

3-2-1 one…

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I believe rejection of the standards of morality expressed in the Christian Bible are the reason we are “flat-assed broke” as a nation, and that will … N E V E R … be overcome by getting everyone to agree that we should openly accept the practice of homosexuality, related SSM, and NOT quibble over it.

The rules that govern right and wrong, and the consequences that follow, will … N E V E R … “cease to be.”

listens2glenn on March 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

This.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

anotherJoe on March 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM
theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

You dang libertarian kids! Go do that on John McCain’s lawn.
cozmo on March 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Lol! Except I’m not in any way a true “theoretical” libertarian like (the extreme) Gary Johnson. Maybe I’m a pragmatist / libertarian hybrid, with a strong (albeit non-interventionist) military, and no amnesty!
And I disagree with theblacksheep on gay marriage, though I get where he’s coming from. Romney should have stood with ChickFilA, and that would have helped him to win. But no…

anotherJoe on March 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Today are the Idus Martii or Idus Martiae.

Bmore, see the painting.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Too bad the repubs are too inept to give Boehner a little March coop de gracie.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Yup, contrary to what many want to believe America’s phenomenal success was always because God was blessing those who lived here and kept faith with him.

SWalker on March 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

So you’ll be joining me in ICU? I needed the paddles after the UM/Wisc. game :(

wolverinefan on March 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM

…it was the last seconds of the last game of the season with Indiana…that did me in!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I’ve been saying this since I got on this blog and before…if we are to take back and establish the country we once knew and loved, we have to take back the educational system. It is corrupting us from within. Destroying the minds of our youth without ever teaching them to think for themselves.

This is the same thing that took place behind the Iron Curtain. Anne Applebaum’s book about that period, “Iron Curtain, Eastern Europe from 1944-56″ has some very informative examples of how the Communists used education systems to indoctrinate the masses. It was disturbingly close to what is being done here today.

Not good.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

http://truthinamericaneducation.com/ is the site to watch. It’s keeping up with things going on across the nation.

Huge list of groups here:

Excellent summary of Common Core:

truthinamericaneducation.com/common-core-state-standards/open-letter-to-parents-of-public-schooled-children/

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Oh, yeah. Exactly.

We have three federal laws the prohibit the development of a national school system.

The Obama administration is dancing around all of them. Hot Air really ought to be on top of it.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Truth in American Education has pointed out that the DOE is violating three federal laws.

With only minor exceptions, the General Education Provisions Act, the Department of Education Organization Act, and the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), ban the Department from directing, supervising, or controlling elementary and secondary school curriculum, programs of instruction, and instructional materials.

“The Department has designed a system of discretionary grants and conditional waivers that effectively herds states into accepting specific standards and assessments favored by the Department,” said Robert S. Eitel, who co-authored the report with Kent D. Talbert.

See The Road to a National Curriculum: The Legal Aspects of the Common Core Standards, Race to the Top, and Conditional Waivers.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Many thanks for the sources. With a young child and one on the way (and other life factors) my time is limited; who actually has loads of extra time on their hands. But I will commit whatever free time I have to fighting this, for my children and for the future of our nation.

Why this matters? The Progressives have entrenched their radicalism in the Media and in Education over the last century. The radical in the white house now is a product of this, and they were very patient to get to this point. It had invigorated them and only caused a recommitment to the effort; the plant the indoctrination seeds like viruses and patiently wait for them to take over their hosts and have a life of their own, at which point, they can’t be stopped (see today’s colleges and main stream media). So if we don’t fight this new front in the battle, I shudder to think of what this country will look like in a century from now.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Worse, still, Predator, is that many parents have abdicated their role as parents and examples to their children, allowing the schools to become the warders of their children’s moral character and world view.

We all see the world through our own lenses crafted of experience. An absentee parent, a computer, a television, and a progressive school system is a poor substitute for a full time parent teaching their child how to be a thinking and moral person.

thatsafactjack on March 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Just throwing in that I’m watching this too. We need more people on this.

ORconservative on March 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

As likewise have I, in fact I just wrote another article over at my place on the subject of reclaiming the educational system. The Path Forward.

SWalker on March 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

My $0.02:

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

The Federal Govt shouldn’t be “driving” anything, but the Military, the issuing of “currency” (I guess that sort of has to do with the economy), and enforcing the “Bill Of Rights”.

An example of the federal govt enforcing the “Bill Of Rights”, would be when JFK sent the National Guard into the south to enforce desegregation.

You’re right about “Common Core”. It should be TOTALLY EXPOSED.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Robert Lopez is keeping up with the French here:

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Pretty interesting read here. Thanks for linking that.

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Thanks for the link. I added it to my favorites list.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM

thatsafactjack on March 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

This, and more. The schools are now the main providers of food for many families. How can one be on welfare, foodstamps, church food banks, etc, and still need to be fed 3 meals at school? Schools in Detroit are piloting a program where ALL students now get free meals so as to “remove the negative stigma” the poor kids might feel. It is not about feeding the children as much as it is about removing the need for parents/family all together.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

You’re welcome for the links! Depending on which state you’re in, they’re may be others who’ve already joined forces.

ORconservative on March 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Good to know. Thanks.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

A nationalized school system with curriculum, testing and funds under government control is where progressives have been headed since the days of John Dewey in the late 1800′s and early 1900′s. Dewey and his fellow progressives gradually gained enough influence over the educational system to assist in giving birth to the radical generation of the 1960′s. That generation has gained enough political power to attempt to remake the country at all levels. Common Core is the progressives’ checkmate on education.

I was originally going to write on CC in early January, but decided I needed to go back and write about John Dewey first.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM

thatsafactjack on March 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Yep. They are letting Hillary’s “village” raise them instead. Exactly what the progressives want.

predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Make a leftist’s day.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM
predator on March 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Glad to help out with the links.

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

…I think they’re going to hit a thousand comments next door…the gay threads really get going here don’t they?
…I peeked in…and chumpTesticles was there chewing on his chump…but I didn’t peek further to see if turdfreeorpee was there… spreading his sperm…

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Yes. The state will raise the children. Parents are freed of the obligation of being responsible for the upbringing of their own child. The state acts as a day care center for kids k-12, and now Obama wants to add a year on to that when the child is still younger… and more impressionable.In return for relinquishing their children, and allowing the state to raise them in the mold the state chooses, the parents are free to work, or not, during the day without having to pay for childcare. The taxpayers of the nation are obliged to provide that child care for them.

thatsafactjack on March 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

OK, poor semantics maybe, but you get my drift, right? If we want to implement (not drive) the GOP agenda, we should do it fiscally from DC and socially from the states. Just a theory, though I’m nobody and don’t know if it would work. I do know something so sweeping and coordinated will never be tried in my lifetime by our splintered party.

Jackalope on March 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Make a leftist’s day.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Fully aroused.

tom daschle concerned on March 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Stanley Kurtz has written some excellent pieces. Last September Kurtz published a column adapted from his book Spreading the Wealth: How Obama is Robbing the Suburbs to Pay for the Cities.

Regionalism will effect everyone, whether or not you have children.

The 2008 controversy over Obama’s years of education work with that famously unrepentant Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers has faded from view. For a moment, it seemed as though Ayers’ radical education legacy would carry forward into Obama’s presidency. That’s because Linda Darling-Hammond, Ayers’ favorite education expert and head of Obama’s education transition team, was on a fast track to appointment as secretary of education until her leftism alienated even many Democrats…

The core of the hard-left’s education agenda – a program shared by Obama, Ayers, and Darling-Hammond alike – has three parts: 1) a politicized curriculum that promotes leftist notions of “social justice,” 2) reducing “disparate outcomes” between students in different districts by undercutting standards, and 3) a redistribution of suburban education funding to less-well-off urban schools. Achieving these goals on a broad scale requires the federal government to usurp local control of K-12 schooling….

Far from having departing the scene, Obama’s former adviser, Linda Darling-Hammond, is at the center of this plan [for federal control of K–12 schooling]….

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

We use a virtual academy and the virtual academy has a FB page for parents. The parents of the virtual academy are up in arms because they don’t want to take their children to remotes sites for the state testing.
The interesting thing is because of the mini up[roar one of the parents posted MM’s link on the Core Crap. I would not be surprised if this thing gets attention very fast. Although, it sounds like it might be close to too late for some.

ORconservative on March 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

thatsafactjack on March 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

You’re right. Statists want children to rear and indoctrinate. There will always be adults to rebel against and refute their goals as harmful and wrong, but if they can ensure that children and young adults have learned to think according to their lights, then they are spared unnecessary exertion in conflict and rewarded with easy control. Adults are susceptible to propaganda, much less children who don’t have experience, criteria or wisdom by which to rationally judge the truth of what they are being taught.

INC on March 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Robert Lopez is keeping up with the French here:

INC on March 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

…you should bring that over to the Portman thread next door (or did you?)…that will make the thread go all night!

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM

ORconservative on March 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I think some of the legislatures are now in session and some are just waking up. Some of the parents are already awake and fighting this. I’ve been getting a lot of hits this week from fb, all to Common Core.

Even is a state site isn’t your state, there are a lot of good things to be found that apply nationally because this is a national effort by the DOE. Utah, Missouri and Georgia have some excellent material.

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I think I mentioned the French hours ago. I’ll head back over and remind them!

INC on March 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I never frequent them. I’d get banned (again) for sure.

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM

INC on March 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Your point is well stated. The entire exercise is geared toward the children growing up accepting the idea the the state will provide and that a large and intrusive state is normal.

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Don’t get banned. I’d miss you… and who would spoil me? :)

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Canada sends greetings with good advice.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Evening Jackie

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Sound advice from the North.

Good evening, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

He’s there. I skipped reading most all of the thread. The gay and religious threads are always the same.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Predator, you stay right here :)

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Bluest Blues – Alvin Lee & Ten Years After

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM

…yeah don’t do that…I was more obnoxious back then…than I usually am!

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Don’t get banned. I’d miss you… and who would spoil me? :)

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That’s the main reason I steer clear of those threads. Not being able to spoil you would wreck my wonderful world. ;)

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Schad, KOOL, I’m stayin’ put. ;) I know where I’m welcome (and relatively safe).

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Hey, Jackie.

Rusty Allen on March 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM

That’s very sweet of you to say, and what a wonderful tune, too. :)

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM

They’ve been thinking this way for over a hundred years.

You can’t make Socialists out of individualists — children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the collective society which is coming, where everyone is interdependent. (1899)

Children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the collective society which is coming, where everyone is interdependent.

I believe that education is the fundamental method of social progress and reform.(1897)
~John Dewey

INC on March 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I know where I’m welcome (and relatively safe).

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I never worry about your safety, strong one. I just like you.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

This is precisely why I think such things should be hashed out at the state level.

Jackalope on March 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM

It is said that Armstrong was very moody, a difficult person.

I’d have loved to have lunch with him.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Alvin Lee passed away not too long ago. I still remember his “I’m Goin’ Home” riff on the Woodstock album. We didn’t have much in common as far as economics and politics, but the man could rock them blues.

Nice tune, BTW.

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Jackalope on March 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM

You’re a very wise person Jackalope. Always read and appreciate your comments.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

INC on March 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Unfortunately so.

The control of the education system should not rest with the federal government. It should be returned to the individual states who are answerable to the local taxpayers.

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I never worry about your safety, strong one. I just like you.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Thank you, my friend. The feeling reciprocates.

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Birth of the Blues

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Thank you. I’m sort of doing my own little tribute to him.

Like you, I didn’t have much in common with him politically or from an ideological standpoint, but, as you say, he was an excellent musician.

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I agree. There is absolutely no need for the Dept. of Ed., which was Carter’s gift to the NEA. All that money should stay within the states.

INC on March 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Jackalope on March 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM

This country is losing the whole concept of “federalism.”

predator on March 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Slow Blues in C – Alvin Lee

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Wow, I’m taken aback. Not used to compliments. Thank you.

Jackalope on March 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Nobody Knows…

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

That was a unique and wonderful moment. Thanks for cuing it up. :)

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM