Oops: Colorado high-capacity mag ban might ban almost all mags

posted at 1:21 pm on March 15, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

The catch is in the phrase “readily convertible.”

Colorado’s now nationally famous “high capacity” magazine ban could end up being much more widespread than anticipated according to lawmakers. During a late night debate in the Colorado Senate on Friday, Senator Kevin Lundberg (D-Berthoud) put forth the thesis that because the proposed ban includes magazines with more than 15 rounds, AND those which are “readily convertible” even those manufactured for smaller numbers are most likely to fall under the ban. Most magazines are designed to be pulled apart and cleaned and are therefore readily converted to a capacity above the proposed law.

Allow Jon Caldara of Colorado’s Independence Institute to explain. Those of you who are Glock owners will no doubt recognize the mag extender that makes your mag illegal in Colorado, if this bill is signed by the governor today:

Gov. John Hickenlooper has said he backs mag capacity limits, and has calculated he’ll remain electorally safe if he signs one. Not if it does what this bill might. If he does sign it, stay tuned for the court cases. And, for those who are skeptical of “fearmongering” among Second Amendment supporters, please keep in mind that idiotic legislators in New York already accidentally banned every single mag law enforcement was carrying and Washington legislators tried to strip gun owners of their Fourth Amendment rights by allowing a sheriff to sweep their houses without a warrant. So, you know, we like to keep our eyes on the actual language of legislation, not just Feeling Good about Doing Something, as the liberal approach to legislating dictates.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t know what gun control laws the Gov is planning on signing, but he got a warning from Magpul.

Magpul has issued lawmakers an ultimatum potentially worth millions: Pass the bill, and the business will move.
Fitzpatrick said his company is serious.

“It’s not really a threat. It’s a promise,” he said.

As the debate unfolds, states have made overtures to Magpul, including offering to pay their moving costs. The company won’t name the states, but Wyoming and Texas have expressed interest in netting the $85 million the company projects it will spend in Colorado next year

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/02/company-will-move-if-colorado-approves-gun-control/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29#ixzz2Nfw4ZWje

bluefox on March 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I’ve been keeping an eye on this bill and a couple important issues are 1. It becomes effective July 1, and magazines that are currently owned are grandfathered in, so get em while you can (if you can).

Dead Hand Control on March 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I’ll bring my receipt with me…. just in case.

Do your magazines have serial numbers? or date of manufacture? And were those numbers recorded on the receipt at time of sale? I’ll bet you the price of your house that none of these things is true. And that’s assuming you kept them all and the receipt is still legible? Hint: receipts, especially those you carry around, fade pretty fast.

And as for DeadDumb’s assertion that the burden of proof is on the state:

Officer Friendly: Do you have receipts for all these magazines?
Honest Citizen: Well, of course I do…. somewhere.
Officer Friendly: OK, well, that’s fine, but in the meantime they’re coming with me, along with the guns you claim they fit in. They’re “evidence” in a criminal case. You might get them back, and they might be useable…. eventually.

That’s assuming that Officer Friendly doesn’t show up at 3 am with a dozen of his mall ninja buddies and kill the “armed and dangerous felon”. After all, how many of your neighbors, including the ones you had an argument with last week over the rock and roll at 3 am, know you have guns and can drop a dime?

No, it’s time to choose: slavery or freedom.

SDN on March 16, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I hope Magpul has had a search committee out looking for a better home cuz the bill was passed and sent to the gov for signature. I’ll bet he doesn’t care if the mag business leaves or not. Maybe if a few conventions decided not to go to Denver it might make a difference. Money talks with these people. Hit ‘em where it hurts. Other than ski or board what is so great about this state that can’t be done in another western state?
Maybe we should show up on the Natl. Mall with a poptart and start chewing, I hear the libs fear that, too.

Kissmygrits on March 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM

SDN on March 16, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Read the bill d1psh1t – pay attention to actual facts – stop insulting people on the pro 2nd amendment side of this – and pay attention to what all of the sheriffs in Colorado are saying.
I’m totally against this Dem gun grabbing crap, but the legal challenges will be based on what the law actually says. The state has the burden of proof that you did not already own the mags. No mags are currently produced with date stamps and serial numbers. Therefore, as my local sheriff has said, “I must assume that ALL magazines are legal”.

dentarthurdent on March 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Shorter dentarthurdent: As long as my local sheriff doesn’t get annoyed with me, I still have my civil rights… in my home county. Maybe. If the city cops and the troopers don’t feel differently.

Chains comfortable?

SDN on March 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Sorry, i just have to add my 2 cents in and hopefully give you guys an idea of how twisted this all is. I’m a veteran. I was in the army for 6 years from 1998 – 2004. In 2008 i was going through a pretty nasty divorce and i was having problems with my ex wife. the main thing that was going on was that she was consistently moving around, not telling me where she was living, she prevented me from having my visitation with my daughter on several occasions. At one point, i hadn’t seen my daughter for about 6 months straight. What did the police or the courts do about it??? Absolutely nothing. I was even told at one point that 6 months was not that long of a time. It took me a long time but i finally figured out where she lived, and one of the times that she wouldn’t show up for the visitation i showed up at her apartment. When she saw me pull up she decided to sneak out the back way so that she wouldn’t be there when i came up to her door, however i caught her in the process of dragging my daughter off by the arm so that they could get out of there in a hurry. When i confronted my ex wife you can believe i had some choice words for her. I never once threatened her, but you can believe I called her just about every name in the book. Can you guess what happened after that??? I was still pretty naive so i never even saw it coming. 2 weeks later when i went to pick up my daughter again, the local PD had some officers waiting for me, and they served me with a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order). She stated that because of my military training she was terrified that i was going to hurt her. Along with the TRO is included a law that states i must turn in or sell all weapons that i own. The judge ultimately slapped me with a 5 year restraining order not because of any DV (domestic violence) but because i harassed her. Yes ladies and gentlemen i am currently stripped of all of my second amendment rights, because i yelled at a person who was keeping me from my child. How’s that for justice???

American Patriot1980 on March 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM