New liberal attack on Chris Christie: He’s a racist or something

posted at 5:57 pm on March 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Sonny Bunch, this is so achingly stupid and disingenuous that I feel like it’s an insult to the reader’s intelligence to explain why. But it’s a slow news day — that’s why HuffPo is running it, after all — so let me try. Have you ever heard someone use the word “boy” as an exclamation, to add emphasis? If you haven’t, it means one of two things. Either you’re under the age of, say, five years old or you didn’t read this post from this morning, when I used the word that way myself. Christie used it that way too when a heckler at a recent town hall shouted that New Jersey needs to fix its public schools. Fixing public schools is what Christie’s all about; that’s why he battles the teachers’ union and that’s why he helped promote “Waiting for Superman.” Boy oh boy oh boy, does he want to fix those public schools. Just one hitch: The heckler at the town hall was black. So when Christie said “boy,” Democrats pounced. Watch below at 1:55. Which explanation is more likely, do you suppose? That a modern politician would insult a black constituent by calling him “boy,” in full view of rolling cameras and a crowded church no less? Or that he meant it as an exclamation? That 74 percent approval rating isn’t going to deflate without some help, you know.

But wait. We’re not done.

At the same event, Christie referred to Democratic Speaker Sheila Oliver only by her race and gender, prompting the pastor at the church to demand an apology.

“I was and am saddened by the governor’s blatant attack [on the speaker],” said Kenneth Clayton, pastor of St. Luke Baptist Church in Paterson, according to the Associated Press. “The words that the governor chose to use in speaking of Oliver, while not even respecting her enough to call her by name, defy his earlier assertion that political leaders, himself included, need to learn to respect all views and work together.”

That’s weird. Why would Christie make an issue of the Speaker’s race and sex? Let’s see if we can find a fuller transcript:

Christie told the town hall audience he strongly supports a bill creating a trial voucher program for students to attend private and parochial schools, but “we have an African-American female speaker of the Assembly … who refuses to let people vote on this bill.”

Christie also said: “Why is it taking a Republican governor from the suburbs to stand up and fight the teachers union and the urban political machine to say, ‘Hey, I want to give your children a shot?’ Let me tell you what that is, that’s the worst kind of discrimination from my perspective.”

The town hall was being held at a black Baptist church. He was speaking to a mixed-race audience. His office prefers to use terms like “children in urban centers” but Christie’s point, very clearly, was that the allegedly racist Republicans are trying to create better educational opportunities for black students in particular by building a voucher program. And, irony of ironies, it’s an “African-American female speaker” who’s blocking their path. If Democrats don’t like the idea of a politician suggesting, however innocently, that one’s race should influence one’s policy preferences, that’s a new one on me: They’ve always been big, big fans of that logic in the past. But enough of this nonsense. Read this for a taste of pushback from Christie’s camp.

Incidentally, a Reuters poll today shows that Christie leads both Biden and Cuomo in hypothetical 2016 match-ups. (Against Hillary … not so much.) No wonder the smears are starting early.

Watch Christie Discusses Education Issues at Paterson Town Hall on PBS. See more from NJToday.

Comments

No sympathy. Not one shred. Live by the liberal sword… die by the liberal sword.

Kent18 on March 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

With libs one “Aww!” S–T erases every “Ata boy!” up to that moment.

Agree with Kent18. How’s it feel when they turn on ya Christie boy?

sanjuro on March 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Is this where I’m supposed to defend Chris Christie from Democrat attacks? Because that’s not going to happen. These are your new friends Chris. Enjoy them.

Mark1971 on March 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Awwww, Fat Man’s gonna be so disappointed in his liberal friends. Maybe Zero will come to his defense. He does owe the Fat Man one, after all. But poor, poor Fat Man. He’s going to have to learn the hard way that Zero never pays his debts.

Rational Thought on March 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Democrats on the plantation don’t like it when their dirty little secrets are pointed out.

GarandFan on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Whatever.

Benedict Christie can defend himself.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Not a fan of Christie, but the accusation is ridiculous. I’m really tired of the pc police and even moreso of the hypocrites.

jazzuscounty on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

New liberal attack on Chris Christie

I wondered if this was an accusation by liberals or an accusation of being liberal.

Because both attacks have a lot of weight.

Huh?

Oh, sorry. No caloric reference intended.

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The climate change pushing rino thought he’d make things good for himself in 2016 by trying to derail Romney by cozying up to Obama and saying how great a job Obama is doing. Utter insanity. Who cares what the libs think. They can keep him.

anotherJoe on March 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

He’s not racist. I think he likes all types of food.

Oil Can on March 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Looks like the new maverick is getting the same treatment as the old maverick. The only thing that would criticisms like this would be if Christie flipped to the Democrats. All past sins would be forgiven, while any new ones would be ignored.

Liam on March 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Time to eat the dounts.

RedRedRice on March 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I’m sure Christie’s best buddies Obama and Andrew Cuomo who he agrees with on 98% of the issues will be running to his defense and minute now…

RJL on March 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

The more infighting between statists, the better.

FloatingRock on March 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Christie just needs to hug Obama tighter next time.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Heh. Not a single comment defending Christie so far. Second look at not bothering in 2016?

Allahpundit on March 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

So when Christie said “boy,” Democrats the lynch mob pounced.

VorDaj on March 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Calling your opponent racist or a N@zi: the two oldest tactics in the liberal playbook after getting pwned.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Christ Christie should just switch parties……he’s a Democrat.

Loves Him sum GIGANTIC gubmint.

PappyD61 on March 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

“New liberal attack on Chris Christie: He’s a racist or something”

…it’s always fascinating when the lunatic-left attacks ONE OF THEIR OWN.

TeaPartyNation on March 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

At this point, I don’t care what makes him go away, just so long as he goes away. Shame that it’s got to be that way, but being a master politician doesn’t exactly garner my respect.

BKeyser on March 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Why attack Christie? He’s pretty much on their side. Give him a minute and he will sign on to most of their bat-sh!t crazy liberal ideals.

Alabama Infidel on March 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I am surprised that this didn’t happen a few weeks ago when he told the African-American woman doctor to shut up about his weight.

Allahpundit on March 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Could be we are not even wasting a first look at Christie?

DagoTwit on March 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Whatever.

Benedict Christie can defend himself.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

As he is not known to miss a meal, shouldn’t that be Eggs Benedict Christie?

M240H on March 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Allahpundit on March 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Well, I just made one that could be taken that way, but please don’t.

VorDaj on March 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

He’s not racist. I think he likes all types of food.
Oil Can on March 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Are you saying he’s a cannibal that eats his own?

Fenris on March 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Ohh… Poor li’l Krispy Kreme. Maybe he can go to the White House and ask his boyfriend to help him out.

As for AP’s comments, they smack of arguments for backing Charlie Crist. I will not vote for Christie in a primary or general election. I prefer the Republican candidate to not endorse Obama.

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

meh……..

FlaMurph on March 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Blue on blue … who cares?

Pork-Chop on March 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Don’t the lefties know that Christie has less cred with the right than he does with the left?

Right Mover on March 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What was that whole “Republicans need to do more minority outreach” thing in another topic? Sure working well for Christie. /sarc

jnelchef on March 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Reap : Sow

He’s shown his true BLUE colors.

Go have a twinkie and some Kool-Aid fat man, you’ve earned it.

RealMc on March 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Why is hotair defending Christie instead of Tim Scott?

Fenris on March 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Why should Christie be immune from their attacks? ANYONE they see as a threat in 2016 is going to start being on the receiving end of their smears. Remember Perry with the painted rock? This is just ridiculous, but expect more…they’re just getting started. The only person who will never be labeled racist is Hillary.

scalleywag on March 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Liberals attacking Christie… That would be cannibalism…

voiceofreason on March 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

How many liberals would it take to eat Christie?

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Whatever.

Benedict Christie can defend himself.

portlandon on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

At the risk of cursing the guy…it’s too early for my curse to take effect anyway…I like Christie. If he runs for the White House, I could very well support him.

JetBoy on March 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

scalleywag on March 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Well, the left does not see Christie as a threat – he willfully climbed into bed with them, and now they own him and can treat him however they wish.

And, as far as Hillary goes, in the 2008 primaries, Hillary was called a racist by a lot of lefties, including the all the libs on obama’s campaign – but, she survived and went on to become the most dishonest, ineffective and disastrous S.O.S. (with the highest body count), in U.S. history.

Pork-Chop on March 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM

You’re on your own fat boy!

Wigglesworth on March 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Feel the burn, Christie Creme.

Resist We Much on March 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM

How many liberals would it take to eat Christie?

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Before I offer a guestimate, are Michael Moore and Rosie O’Donnell invited?

Resist We Much on March 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I think that we should start s pledge to not vote for Christie in the general election in 2016 and remind ourselves of it constantly.

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Did you know that the liberals in NJ hate Chris Christie and want him to go so they can win the governor’s house back?

The media will help them do it.

Fleuries on March 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

So much for that big sloppy hug with Barky, huh Fat Man, bet you’re thinking you burned a few conservative bridges for nothing now.

Bishop on March 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Democrats pounced

…they thought he was a doughnut!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Been in sales all my life and one thing I learned was “part of something is better than all of nothing”..

Remind me again, how’s that purist conservative shit working out?

From where I sit not all that well.

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I’m a RINO. There are a lot of people who will vouch for that. However, I won’t vote for Christie. He committed an unforgivable sin by screwing over Romney in my book. It is Christie’s fault Romney lost the election.

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Remind me again, how’s that purist conservative shit working out?

From where I sit not all that well.

theblacksheepwasright on March 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Remind me again, how’s that moderate RINOpurist conservstive shit working out?

From where I sit Romney and McCain sit, not all that well,

fight like a girl on March 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I think he played a big part in Romney’s loss. All the polls had Romney surging until Christie slobbered all over O.

fight like a girl on March 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM

1 out 5 blacks are unemployed or done trying. 9.9 out of 10 blacks voted for Obama. Christie is fat and now a racist. Rinse & repeat

drivingtheview on March 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

A weeks pay says the guy he spoke to said “Did you hear what that cracker called me?”

docflash on March 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I live in New Jersey, and if anyone deserves to have the N-word tattooed into one’s forehead, it’s Sheila Oliver.

Archivarix on March 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Keep bashing Chris Christie as a racist, Democrats. If you try it hard enough, perhaps I’ll vote for him after all.

Archivarix on March 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

No wonder the smears are starting early.

Predictable. The fool, Christie, seals the election for Obama and a few months later the libs turn on him.

HellCat on March 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Allahpundit on March 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

If by not “not bothering” you’re referring to El Gordo’s chances, then yeah. If you’re implying that the GOP is doomed if we all don’t jump on his bandwagon then I say guess again!

cicerone on March 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

And here endeth the lesson: they’ll only praise you when you’re damning the right. Point out their own failures and you’re just another target to be destroyed. Good luck with that Governor. You’ll get no sympathy from me.

Browncoatone on March 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Is this supposed to make us rush to Christie’s defense or something?

Eff him.

I don’t care what Democrats call him, and I don’t care how much he’s leading the Idiot Biden, Cuomo, or Hillary. He’ll never get my vote.

DRayRaven on March 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM

The libs call barry our first black President that’s half white? They also call him an Afro-American when there are white Afro-Americans? I like the article because it does remind us the mental state of the left.

mixplix on March 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM

don’t like christie, won’t vote for him, but wrong is wrong and attacks like this using fake racism as a weapon do need to be defended against. no matter who its done against.

dmacleo on March 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I had this exact thing happen to me few years ago when speaking to three other people-two black friends and a liberal friend. Raised in the ’30′s I often used the exclamation “Oh Boy!” to express delight as I did that day. After leaving the two black friends the white liberal friend accused me of racism. It was then it dawned on me Liberalism was crazy beyond crazy.

Herb on March 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Boy, these keep-white-guilt-alive blacks just love to jump at any opportunity to get indignant about an imagined racial slur. It amazes me that any whites go along with what is obviously a power game. The more feigned hurt & offenses they get whitey to react apologetically to the more clout they have. It’s really all about power.

Chessplayer on March 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM