Jindal at CPAC: Be the Party of More

posted at 7:51 pm on March 15, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

I must confess to being a longtime fan of Gov. Bobby Jindal, having written to defend him even in his darkest hour— the day after his State of the Union response. He’s a smart guy who’s overcome cultural and political obstacles to be elected a second-term governor Louisiana with 66 percent of the vote in a race with nine opponents. But mostly I like that he’s demonstrably made Louisiana a better place to live and work.

I wish he’d talked more about that today. Jindal’s speech to CPAC was not a stemwinder or designed to be a crowd pleaser. It was more of an overview and light critique of the movement, in the style of a Mitch Daniels more than a Rick Perry. I like those kinds of speeches, though they’re sometimes better read than delivered. Jindal started off by reading a few of his Gridiron Dinner jokes, confessing that he was pilfering from himself but acknowledging the crowd might like something different after CPAC’s 70 political speeches.

The thrust of his speech, which some read as a contrast if not a rebuke to Paul Ryanism, is that focusing on the everyday crises of Washington, D.C. and the budget numbers too much is playing entirely on the opponent’s turf, conceding the idea that the nation runs on Washington and the capital is the hub of its existence. Instead, Jindal suggests focusing on the real economy of America, not the “phony economy” of Washington. I actually think the two can easily be complementary, and that educating people about how out of hand Washington is is part of turning them on to the idea of getting it out of their lives. But he’s right about falling into this uninspiring trap:

If our vision is to better manage the disaster that is the federal government, you can count me out. I won’t sign up for that. (I don’t want to) slow-manage the decline of America. That’s why we have Democrats.

Yes, the message must be more than that, even while it educates on Washington’s failings. “We’re not going to simply win elections by pointing out the failures of the other side,” he said. Jindal’s pitch today: Be the party of MORE. Democrats only offer more government, but we offer more prosperity, bigger American dreams, more success for everyone.

I assume the contrast he’s subtly drawing with Ryan will become complete nearer to 2016 when Jindal finishes his pitch by touting the successes in the “real economy” of himself and other Republican governors across the country. The speech didn’t quite make that landing today, mentioning school choice in Louisiana only briefly, but I look forward to hearing more in the future.

Comments

Insane Mccain should be there to provide gravitas: ‘You wacko birds get off my lawn! ZZZZZZZZ….zzzzzzzz (fart)zzzzzzz.’

BHO Jonestown on March 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

…More what?

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

MKH – He is a nice guy. I like his sincerity. But he lectures too much. I think it is going to be a long time before he is ready for national stage.

antisocial on March 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Just a skinny wacko bird.

Curtiss on March 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

THIS.

hillsoftx on March 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Bobby Jindal’s position in illegal immigration

Bobby Jindal on illegal immigration, border security, and terrorism

Governor Jindal has been very consistent over the years on these vital issues. He also rolled up his sleeves and took a hands on leadership role during the Gulf Oil spill to do what was best for Louisiana.

I look forward to hearing more from Governor Jindal, and observing him in action, before the next primaries and the presidential campaign officially begins.

thatsafactjack on March 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Well, that’s how the democrats win. That and bribery and fraud.

VorDaj on March 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Be the Party of More

Only when the Republican Party masters the ability to manipulate the media will they again be in control of their own destiny.

Rovin on March 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Groomed for teh establishment. Naw.. Thanks for playing.

Key West Reader on March 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Rubio…. also establishment

Key West Reader on March 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Well, that’s how the democrats win. That and bribery and fraud.

VorDaj on March 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

And thuggery. And then they deny that they’re going to take your guns and sue your pastor.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Embrace the Establishment!

/Sorry. No.

Key West Reader on March 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

did he call the republicans stupid again?

renalin on March 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Jindal seems like a smart guy and a good governor. And I hope he doesn’t muck things up in ’16. He’s not going to be elected President, and I hope he doesn’t screw things up for any candidates that might have a chance.

joejm65 on March 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I’m not a Jindal fan yet but replacing the corrupt income tax with a fairer sales tax is a huge positive to me, especially if eventually applied to the national level. The federal tax regime is hopelessly outdated and corrupt and is a humongous parasitic drain on our nations productivity. The USA can not afford to rest on our laurels anymore, (whatever that means), we need to cast off dead weight in order to remain competitive in an increasingly competitive world, and replacing the income tax with a fair, efficient and harder to corrupt national sales tax would be a huge step in the right direction.

FloatingRock on March 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

bingo!

AshleyTKing on March 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What is the Republican plan to address poverty?

ronsfi on March 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Fine. Then run for president on a platform of eliminating income tax. Because if this isn’t his message, then I’d like to see him meet up with Cruz and Paul and just tell them they’re wasting everyone’s time. We tend to send establishment RINOs to Washington. Is this what he’s saying, or does he equate them with the TP representatives. I really don’t know what he wants here.

Dongemaharu on March 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Jindal is right. There is little potential for reform at the Federal level just coming out of the GOP house. There is potential for winning the argument in states where the GOP has real control by putting in policies that foster much greater economic growth than in the blue states where the levels of government throttle investment, entrepreneurial effort and self-improvement. Make it obvious that in places like Texas where the GOP gets the government out of the way, there is success while in California and Illinois where the corrupt dead hand of government drives the economy down until it looks like the old Soviet Union their is little hope and even less success.

KW64 on March 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

What is the Republican plan to address poverty?

ronsfi on March 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

If it doesn’t involve coming down like the wrath of Thor on businesses hiring illegals, it won’t matter for jack.

MelonCollie on March 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

interesting the mini-shot he took at “my friend Chris Christie” today too – does anybody know if that was also a repeat from the other night?

Also MKH or anybody else who is here at CPAC did you notice there was almost ZERO interest in his speech from the Rand army of 20-somethings who have been all over the place all weeked? that crowd packed the house for Rand/Rubio (of course), Ryan, and even Mitt this afternoon…but it sure didn’t look like many were around for Jindal, hmm…

das411 on March 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM

What is the Republican plan to address poverty?

ronsfi on March 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

To do the opposite of what Democrats do. They are really good at getting people into poverty so doing the opposite should get people out. The Costanza effect.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM

What is the Republican plan to address poverty?

ronsfi on March 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I think the problem between the Republicans and Democrats is that they speak completely different languages using the same words. What do you mean exactly when you say “address poverty”? What do you mean by that?

Do you mean…

1) What are Republican plans to sustain those caught in poverty?
2) What are Republican plans to help people out of poverty?
3) What are Republican plans to say “good morning poverty”?

Those are all expressions of “addressing poverty”. But for some reason, Democrats think Republicans hate helping those in poverty. But there is a difference in mindset…

Democrats see strata, or castes (like in India), where people reside in a certain strata. The poor… the middle class… the wealthy. They only see them in their caste, and those people stay there.

Republicans see those merely as a transitional point in time. I was poor when I was a teenager working at McDonalds. I couldn’t afford dates other than a simple movie and fast food, and could barely afford gas in my car. But after learning the value of hard work and getting a college education (of which I PAID FOR), I raised up into the lower middle class. After working for over two decades in software development, I’ve now worked my way to the upper middle class, where I am respected for my experience and my knowledge which I share with others. Perhaps one day, I will count myself wealthy. I would like that.

But Democrats believe the wealthy are evil people. That somehow they achieved their wealth by exploiting poor people.

Republicans don’t see that. We see the wealthy has finally obtaining success through hard work and perseverance. People didn’t have to become poor for me to become more successful.

Republicans believe that everyone should have the opportunity to become successful. After all, that’s the American dream… to become successful. And if the successful wish to give support others through charity, that is their choice (which I support). But Republicans do not believe that poverty should be subsidized by taxing me more heavily and thus denying me my chance to be wealthy and successful.

So, what do you mean by “address poverty”.

Do Republicans believe in subsidizing poverty… no, at least not forever. I personally am in favor of a safety net… but one that ends after a year… and one that has stipulations. I favor drug tests as a requirement of government aid. I also favor reducing that aid if your children make under a C average.

But if you look for actual results for ENDING poverty… you won’t find it. Why not? Because there are always more people entering our system at poverty level (teens, immigrants). The real question is “are people progressing OUT of poverty?”

The Democrats do not have an answer for that question. Their belief is that we can only subsidize and sustain those in poverty… which will NEVER encourage them to strive to leave poverty. It breeds a mindset of dependency.

The Republican answer to “addressing poverty” is providing better job opportunity through economic change (usually through lower taxes and less regulation). You can look at any country in the world, and the only time you see people leave poverty is through economic advancement.

The best way to “address poverty” (as a Republican) is to lower and simplify taxes, reduce the regulation burden of job producers and reduce blanket entitlements while putting time limits on them.

Economic mobility is the only way out of poverty.

And the Republicans are the only political party advocating upward economic mobility. The Democrats have no plan for that…

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

He’s a smart guy who’s overcome cultural and

So now we are subscribing to white privilege?

Oh….wonderful……

We all have obstacles to overcome. Primarily, those that 4 decades of liberal nonsense has erected in everyone’s path.

98ZJUSMC on March 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Sorry I don’t get it. He seems to be saying deficits and spending don’t matter. Everyone wants to grow the private sector but if government is going to steal everything it can then the growth will be meaningless.

Are we growing the economy only to feed the federal leviathan? As good as his delivery is his message seems convoluted. We DO need to reduce the size of government but we also need to better explain why that is essential.

He also seems to be pretending that Republicans only talk about spending cuts, that isn’t really true. Mitt hit the economic growth theme pretty damn hard in every speech and he still lost. Jindal is knocking down some straw men here.

echosyst on March 16, 2013 at 2:22 AM

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

The problem with you and your party is that you automatically believe people who are poor are poor because they are lazy. They are poor because they haven’t worked hard the way you did. After all YOU PAID for your education as you arrogantly reminded us.

You fail to understand there is a huge populace in this country who need a little help to move out of poverty. Most of these people don’t want a handout. All they want is a little help to get them to where they can excel into the middle class. Maybe some financial aid to get them through college or some food stamps to help feed their kids during hard times.

Democrats at least have a platform that professes to understand these people. Your party runs on a platform that lectures these people as lazy takers whose goal is only to leach off the so called makers. While this ignorant platform allows you all to cream your pants every time you hear it, it is a loser politically. There are more poor and lower middle class Americans than the ultra rich. The latter will continue voting for the party that advocates for them while the former will do the same. Let the chips fall where they should.

HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

A brilliant strategy, genius.

Who will fiddle when Rome burns?

Grace_is_sufficient on March 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM

I’m sorry, but as much as I like Jindal, his speech just didn’t cut the mustard. What a shame.

Let’s see how Sarah does tomorrow. If she delivers then maybe she could teach Bobby how to talk like a Conservative politician. Maybe.

DannoJyd on March 16, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Rovin on March 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

The left doesn’t manipulate the media–they own it after decades of propagandizing in Columbia and other leftist indoctrinatioon centers, as well as offering them that “lust is us” freedom and access beyond the norm.They have stolen their pride in professional journalism substituting it with the role of being part of a mass agenda to fundamentally transform America.

You don’t ever hope manipulate these foul principled guys and gals, but sincere and much more prominant competition might help.

Don L on March 16, 2013 at 5:02 AM

There are more poor and lower middle class Americans than the ultra rich.

HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Hmm … What do you think will happen when these poor people on Food Stamps discover how the Democrats STOLE over 11 BILLION from the Food Stamps Program in order to pay off the Teachers Unions?

Their effort gave Sophie’s Choice new meaning.

DannoJyd on March 16, 2013 at 5:03 AM

DannoJyd on March 16, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Sarah Palin is a joke.

bluegill on March 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM

any gov that abolishes their income tax is a friend of mine. Jindal is better than most. I’m not 1005 sold on him if he would run for POTUS but I’m willing to give him my ear and let him try to convinve me.

Compared to fatso and bushrubio he is head and shoulders above them.

unseen on March 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM

bluegill on March 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM

ROFL. keep telling yourself that. one day it might be true but I wouldn’t hold out hope for it.

unseen on March 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Hey idiot. We were actually on welfare for 6 months while I was finishing college. I know the people who were there. Have you been on welfare, been waiting in line there? Have you? If not, you don’t know jack. Not all, BUT THE MAJORITY, are just living on handouts… and they will continue living on handouts until the handouts stop and they have to look for work.

Also, the poor remain in poverty because DEMOCRAT policies keep them there. They keep the handouts flowing no matter what. And they take from the successful people to subsidize poverty.

And besides the personal attacks, you FAILED to answer the question I posed (as I knew liberals would)…

WHAT PLANS DO DEMOCRATS HAVE FOR PEOPLE TO CLIMB OUT OF POVERTY?

Oh, and btw.. that “arrogance” you so snidely sneered at… is called pride in doing things for myself, supporting myself, and striving to be successful. That’s called American innovation and hard work… something that shouldn’t be sneered at and put down.

You and that attitude is what is wrong with the liberal mindset, of which too many of the poor have.

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Democrats at least have a platform that professes to understand these people.

HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Who gives a flying f*ck if you “understand these people”? (Thank you for YOUR arrogant snide remark!) I understand about them well because I was there. I also understand about criminals (since some distant relatives have been in jail), and about liberals (who I debate with), and about conservatives (which I am).

I understand about a lot of different things… but understanding doesn’t mean squat. Those are just words, and empty words at that. I asked about actions.

SO WHAT ARE DEMOCRATS DOING TO HELP PEOPLE OUT OF POVERTY?

I asked what the Democrat plan is to help them move out of poverty. And you failed, failed, FAILED to answer that.

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

good post.

unseen on March 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Wow. You know, HAL, the problem with your Democrat party is it plays to the basest of human emotion and natures. Specifically FEAR, ENVY, and LAZINESS. They permeate your party’s very core, and your politicians play to this to maintain their power base. That is why their policies never actually succeed at alleviating any of the three.

Fear. Who tries to ban 5 gallon buckets? Trampolines? Bungee jumping? Guns? Small Airplanes? The list is almost infinite. Who’s motto is “we need to do something” and “there ought to be a law against…”? I always laugh when I hear a dyed in the wool call a republican “reactionary”. What a farce.

Envy. You need examples? You gave a great one. I’d be proud if I had paid for my education by myself. Of course, when everyone else owes you a living, it’s nothing to be proud of, is it? Envy is probably the biggest of the 3 definitions. Your party could never survive without it.

Laziness. Absolutely. Unions where you can’t fire bad teachers and public employees get to retire after 25 years. 62 for Medicare and Social Security despite the increase in life span since those programs were put in place. Your party thrives on splitting America into groups and pandering to the laziest.

Unfortunately HAL, it’s coming to an end. O’bozo can’t save the economy. He can only borrow and have Ben print money. Once the hyperinflation kicks in, it all crashes. If they try to stop the inflation, it all crashes. (that’s why they try to hide it, by the way.) The true destruction of this country was brought about by your party’s subsidizing of the worst pieces of the human psyche. It didn’t help that the republicans eventually copied your playbook. But your party owns it.

And that is where Jindal is wrong. What ails America cannot be fixed piecemeal, one state at a time. Sure examples are great. But rationalization and denial are also powerful human motivators.

Wanna fix America. Ask an ex-alcoholic how. Anything else and the slide continues.

WryTrvllr on March 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Jindal at CPAC: Be the Party of More

All these ‘smart guys’ really just want to show off.

I would love to hear some guy/gal simply say

“SMALL. GOVERNMENT.” and end the speech with that.

(note: not ‘smaller’)

Sir Napsalot on March 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

There are more poor and lower middle class Americans than the ultra rich. The latter will continue voting for the party that advocates for them while the former will do the same. Let the chips fall where they should do in Spain, Greece, and Cyprus…
HotAirLib on March 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

FIFY

socalcon on March 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Sarah Palin is a joke.

bluegill on March 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Again, the brilliance is obvious.

socalcon on March 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

You’re being entirely too cute. You see “addressing poverty” requires no parsing. We live with millions of unemployable people. Millions of people live in tents in and around our cities. I don’t think your plan of encouraging them to create small businesses is realistic, but my main point is that the Republicans don’t address the issue at all. The Donks have a very bad plan, but they have a plan and they sell it.

ronsfi on March 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

What is the Republican plan to address drug addiction?

ronsfi on March 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

dominigan on March 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I was being snarky and a bit fececious , but your argument was well presented and correct in my opinion, however where are the Republicans who are addressing the issue? It’s a huge problem, yet…chirp…chirp.

ronsfi on March 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

As much as I respect Jindal, we can’t just blow off Washington. This debt and spending problem that our government has will ultimately lead to hyperinflation… either through defaulting on the debt, the Treasury getting dropped to the lowest bond rating or having the Fed’s printers on overdrive. What good will focusing on the “real economy” do if we can’t get a decent paycheck, but suddenly have to spend $20.00 for a loaf of bread or $75.00 for a gallon of gas? I hope he’s got a secret plan for Louisiana to adopt its own gold-backed currency if the nation does collapse.

TMOverbeck on March 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM