Video: Passerby with concealed carry in Wisconsin saves woman’s life

posted at 10:01 am on March 14, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

We hear plenty from gun-control advocates that firearms don’t prevent or stop attacks, and how they’re more likely to end up being used against victims instead. Tell that to Charlie Blackmore, who recently acquired a concealed-carry permit in Wisconsin after the legislature recently made them legal. Blackmore, a Marine Corps veteran, wasn’t being attacked himself, but was driving down the street early in the morning when he saw a large man kicking something in the sidewalk. When Blackmore realized the “something” was in fact a woman, he stopped the attack without firing a shot — and probably saved the woman’s life:

A Marine Corps veteran was able to stop a man early Tuesday, March 12th from nearly kicking a woman to death. It happened near 102nd and Lincoln, and Wisconsin’s concealed carry law made his efforts possible.

Charlie Blackmore was driving home from work at 4:00 a.m. along Lincoln Avenue when he saw something on the sidewalk. Blackmore didn’t realize it was a woman on the ground being kicked in the head and stomach until he got closer.

That’s when he jumped out of his car and sprung into action.

“I said ‘stop’ and he starts coming towards me and that`s when I drew on him. He started getting closer and I said ‘get down on the ground,’” Blackmore said.

Blackmore held his gun on the suspect and called West Allis police. He says several times while waiting for police to arrive, the attacker moved toward him.

“I mean I’ve already made it up in mind that if he came at me I was going to have to take him down and I told him that. I warned him multiple times not to come towards me because he was a big guy and I wasn’t playing around and he didn’t seem like he was playing around,” Blackmore said.

If you think that the woman couldn’t have been killed with the man’s feet, think again. In 2011, more than twice as many murder victims died from “personal weapons” — hands, feet — as did from rifles of all kinds, not just “assault weapons.” In this case, the man was the woman’s jilted ex-boyfriend who had been stalking her. She might be considering a concealed-carry permit next, if the boyfriend isn’t put away for a very long time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I have the day of Sandy Hook. Others will look at all those threads.

And so many others where you have written.

Time, time, and times again. With experience and your own postings.

You have shown yourself. And, as a typical liberal, you will seek to wiggle out of it.

Do whatya gotta do. I’m consistent and neither back down nor deflect.

You, on the other hand, seek to hide and couch.

If I had remained liberal, I would be able to banish you from The Cause, because YOU are a failure at it.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Translation: I don’t have any such link.

GO AWAY LIAM! I DISMISS YOU!

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

@Well, that should keep them from coming after you!

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Well…why not? There’s a dembagger who’s actually telling women they need to pee or puke on their attacker.

Twana on March 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

“Guy With Gun Saves Woman” is pretty convenient for a pro-gun point-of-view.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

That’s because this happens a lot and the lamestream media rarely reports on it – because it’s contrary to the gun grabbers’ arguments. Whenever a kid dies, the media is all over it – because it happens far less and is a more useful tragedy to try to justify your dishonest attempts at gun-grabbing.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Translation: I don’t have any such link.

GO AWAY LIAM! I DISMISS YOU!

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Glad to go there with you. All those caps you used are telling. Not to me, though. I was there in those threads that day. And, rather, the things you wrote that are available in the archives for everyone else to see — third parties — who might be interested to read your words, as you wrote them.

I don’t think for an instant you shed a tear for all those lost babies. You, and all the MSM libs like yourself and the trolls who attacked here all day, really enjoyed the whole thing. Not a one of them–not YOU–said it was a horrible thing.

I recall all of us Conservatives that day. We grieved and tried making sense of it all. But you liberals came in to attack. You–maybe YOU, personally–couldn’t be ‘bothered’ for an instant to grieve with us, could you, Chumpie? That was too much for you, wasn’t it, you ghoul?

The archives are there, of you and all your liberal kind for all to read at their leisure.

The hard-case caps of your post to which I hereby respond, are for all others to see and decide for themselves.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I suspect I’ll wait a long time for HA to post a story of a three-year-old who shoots himself to death because he thought the gun left on the coffee table was a toy.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

No one is stopping you from finding one on your own and sharing it with us…

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I bet that, on the day of Sandy Hook, if one of we Conservatives called a moment of silence in memory of all those lost babies, YOU would have objected, seeking further place to attack us.

YOU are a horrid ghoulish monster.

We’re not the monsters here. YOU and your fellow trolls are.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Man kills self in front of children at Bellevue gun-safety class

Mmm…3 Week Old Refried Beans on March 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Naturally, you chose to cite the most sensationalist story about this case, but you’ll find some additional details that the Seattle TV station left out of the original story, which came from another source. They in fact cite that source in their story.

The KOMO headline implies that he killed himself in front of children in a school classroom. However, then the KOMO story says “several children” witnessed the incident, which means that the class also had adults in it. And it did not happen in a classroom, but at the firing range.

The KOMO story also cites a dude who was also in the class and saw what happened. But they conveniently left out what he told the original news source:

A man who told Patch that he witnessed the event said the man shot himself in front of all the other participants during the practice portion of the class at the range, when participants were handling the firearms.

The man, who asked that his name not be used, said that the man who shot himself had appeared lonely and “deflated” during the classroom portion of the class and never spoke to anyone or raised his hand to ask questions.

However, the man said he thought there was nothing the class instructors could have done to stop the suicide.

“Anytime someone is standing there with a gun pointed at his head, there’s nothing anyone could have done to stop him from shooting himself,” the man said.

The man said that though the incident was shocking and traumatic, he still is planning to purchase a firearm for home protection.

“I still think it’s a valid home defense,” he said.

I can see why the Leftists who run KOMO would leave that part out. Goebbels would approve.

F-

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Our Friend Del, who bothers scoring you liberals, might bother to give you a Z-double-minus in an alternate universe.

Your very presence defeats your own arguments.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

chump has proven time and again that he’s nothing more than a Low-IQ Democrat Voter. Why waste your time?

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

To destroy his self-presumed arrogance, Del.

Liberals forget what they do, and hope everyone else forgets, too.

I can’t do that.

I’m not interested in reminding a liberal; they’re worthless.

My aim is so that WE all know them as they are and as they have posted.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Hey chumpy, here’s the first from one google page of news reports for law-abiding citizens using guns to stop criminals.
Let’s see your list for 3 year olds shooting themselves.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

“Yet there was no gunman on the loose when Julio Segura-McIntosh died in Tacoma, Wash. The 3-year-old accidentally shot himself in the head while playing with a gun he found inside a car.”

No, I didn’t read this story on HotAir. I trust HuffPo more.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Edited for clarity.

Your HuffPo link falsely reports that the 3 year old’s father left the gun in the car. KOMO News in Seattle however reported just today that it was the mother’s boyfriend who left the gun in the car, and he hid it under the seat. The kid still found it. KOMO also states that the boyfriend had a concealed carry permit, but Washington State law requires that a gun carried in a vehicle be on the owner’s person at all time. So this wasn’t the gun’s fault, it was the gunowner’s fault.

Link:

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM

and another

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

For an addition, Del–I don’t aim to ‘reform’ liberals. My intent is to show them for what they, for our fellow Conservatives.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Here’s another:

I could fill a whole page with these.
Where’s yours?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Racists. What about those that speak Austrian?

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We don’t have a lot of Romanians living here, but yeah, just in case.

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I’m fairly certain that was a joke ;)

CapnObvious on March 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

So was Bishop’s comment. :) (Roman -> Romanian)

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Romanian = real language
Austrian = not

Don’t read Romanian and assume Roman, you might land a job in the State Department ;)

CapnObvious on March 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

He should have used a double barreled shotgun and fired both barrels into the ground, thus making the shotgun nothing more than an expensive club.

/Joe Biden

rbj on March 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Followed by that dawning moment of comprehension when he remembered the woman iswas lying on the ground… ROFDying!

CapnObvious on March 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I could fill a whole page with these.
Where’s yours?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Hey chumpy – no luck?
Well I found some. Yes, people, including kids get shot accidently. It happens.
But guess what, do a search on “child drowns in bathtub” or “child drowns in swimming pool” and there are far more news reports.
So should we outlaw bathtubs and swimming pools?
Less than 40 people (of any age) per year killed by “assault rifles”.
Over 2000 kids per year drown in pools and bathtubs.
So which one is more dangerous?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The fact that they go Alinsky on us by calling us names before slinking off is proof that we have hit nerves. But they keep coming back for more…

A blast from the past from chump, directed at yours truly, after I informed him that O’bama set a new American record in 2008 by getting 70% of the high school dropout vote (this was just over a year ago, so it was before O’bama then beat that record with 80% of that vote a few months ago):

With all due respect (and by that I mean none) you are without question one of the most grasping, ignorant and least relevant people who comment here.

I think I put you on “ignore” previously, but I’m now cranking it up to “in perpetuity throughout the universe forever” ignore.

And please don’t respond. I want to ignore you just as you are.

chumpThreads on March 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

The history of LAPD and NYPD shooting innocent people does not bode well…

Neither do the Neanderthal cops in Vegas respect the law. How about the Marine who got picked on by some hysterical twerp in a Costco or a Walmart…I forget which. They ordered everyone to leave the store…so the Marine has no idea it’s going to be him that’s pointed out by the twerp…he steps outside and is ordered to raise his hands….he does…bottom line is 5 cops shoot this 36 yo dead in front of the store. Witnesses say he never touch his weapon either.

How about those “pro’s” in NYC that surround a guy with 5 cops…empty their guns and score 2 hits? And they’re supposed to be better trained?

Twana on March 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Q: How often do cops actually save someone’s life from imminent murder in real time?

A: Essentially never. Where the crime is murder 99.9999% of their job involves of doing one of two things:

1) deterring murder by making the threat of apprehension, arrest, and conviction credible;

2) by apprehending and arresting the murderer.

If someone confronting you intends to kill you only two things can save you:

1) Your own actions, by fight or flight.

2) The actions of someone else there at the same time. And that “someone else” will not be a cop about 99.99999% of the time.

In both cases you are much better off if you or they are armed.

Not to mention the fact that if before ever threatening you if the perp thinks you may be armed it might leave you alone.

farsighted on March 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Regarding the story about the perp, Kenneth Harris . . . had “been charged with substantial battery . . .”

Huh?

I was wondering why he was not also charged with “attempted murder,”, but perhaps that is because of the somewhat unusual and limited circumstances pursuant the State of Wisconsin charges people with “attempt” crimes, including, for example, both “attempted murder” and “attempted rape.”

Plus, the State has played around with the statute of limitations so much over the past several years when it comes to “attempts” that you’d need a flow chart to figure out what any particular case involves.

From the story, consider this curious statement:

. . .
A Marine Corps veteran was able to stop Harris from nearly kicking the woman to death, and Wisconsin’s concealed carry law made his efforts possible.
. . . .

Wouldn’t it have been a little more accurate to drop the “nearly?” From Charlie Blackmore’s account, it sounds to me a lot like he stopped Harris from actually kicking her to death. Harris didn’t cut and run when Charlie showed up. He obviously wanted Charlie out of the way so he could return to dispatching his victim.

When a perp, especially someone as big as Harris, has someone down on the ground, and is repeatedly kicking them in the head and stomach, death will likely ensue.

But . . . perhaps Harris told the police that he only wanted to nearly kick her to death, not to actually go all the way! Yeah, that must be it.

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

My guess is this is just a case of poor wording on the part of the reporter. Let’s face it, journalism skills have been going downhill fast.
I believe what was really meant is that he nearly killed her. She’s still alive, hence the “nearly kicking the woman to death”. Just my interpretation.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

You know what would happen in “gun free” New York state if you stopped and tried to help a woman being assaulted like that? You guessed it..

Caper29 on March 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Oh, I agree with you that it was poor, or at least confusing wording, which was why I followed it through to my sarcastic comment at the end — the part you quoted.

Intent to kill is something that can form in a heartbeat.

My own guess would be that the “nearly” may have been an editorial addition, but we’ll never know for sure. The story is otherwise pretty solid.

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Edited for clarity.

Link:

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Chump trumped. Libs, generally, are not real bright.

BTW where is Libfree on this thread?

CW on March 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Well done Charlie..you sir are a hero

sadsushi on March 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Why are you repeating yourself, one of them (Low IQ or Dem) should be sufficient enough.

riddick on March 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM

2) by apprehending and arresting the murderer.

farsighted on March 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

By definition, cops are pretty much Second Responders, At BEST. Victims are always First Responders.

riddick on March 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Even worse, it was in a Beating Free Zone

Bulletchaser on March 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Page with links to 30 successful self-defense via firearm stories:

E-R

electric-rascal on March 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

However, for every good outcome like this, thousands of people are killed every year via suicide, accidental shootings, domestic violence, etc.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

It’s so funny how you think suicides are somehow relevant. Suicides are people who intentionally kill themselves. It’s not like they don’t have other options, such as: slash their wrists, stick their head in a gas oven, OD on sleeping pills, hang themselves, etc.

tom on March 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

And supposedly, people have a right to commit suicide according to most of the left of center people I can thinkof.

SPQR on March 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Democrat: She should of used her rape whistle. What we need is more jilted-boyfriend education.

Mojave Mark on March 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

B. . . bu. . . but guns bad. They told me so!

RedNewEnglander on March 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM

“Why can’t a man be more like a woman?”

The feminizing Left has been working on that very issue for decades.

hawkeye54 on March 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I think men and women are naturally like each other. Plenty of women go ninja on some dude, just like this dude was doing with this poor woman. That’s why we all need to be vigilant.

bmmg39 on March 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

F-

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I love how they kind of leave the kids’ ages to the imagination, to apparently lead the reader to conjure images of first-graders all screaming in horror.

Not so much.

(It just so happens I know someone who was in the class, so I know things that aren’t being reported, too.)

Spin, spin, spin.

capitalist piglet on March 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

If the victim should have the temerity to haul off and drop this jerk like a bad habit, the victim is then treated like some violent head case.

Self-reliance is being slowly conditioned out of our kids.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Anybody remember the viral video a few years back, of the smaller kid repeatedly smacking the larger kid in the head and face, taking time as if he were amusing himself, until the bigger kid had enough and body-slammed the punk like a modern-day Lennie Small?

I believe some at the school were thinking of punishing the victim for defending himself until they thought better of it.

bmmg39 on March 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

“Guy With Gun Saves Woman” is pretty convenient for a pro-gun point-of-view.

“Three-Year-Old Dies in Accidental Shooting”, not so much.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I’m certain that both of these things happen.

Question: which headline are the media less likely to publish even when it does happen?

bmmg39 on March 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

bmmg39 on March 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I remember well the sickening thud as that kid gave his tormenter a generous helping of the all-you-can-eat sidewalk buffet. I also remember the grief people gave him over it. To her credit, I also remember the bully’s mother publicly saying he deserved it.

CurtZHP on March 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

“It’s not like it was a “kick” kick.” – Whoopi Goldberg.

itzWicks on March 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Sorry, i just have to add my 2 cents in and hopefully give you guys an idea of how twisted this all is. I’m a veteran. I was in the army for 6 years from 1998 – 2004. In 2008 i was going through a pretty nasty divorce and i was having problems with my ex wife. the main thing that was going on was that she was consistently moving around, not telling me where she was living, she prevented me from having my visitation with my daughter on several occasions. At one point, i hadn’t seen my daughter for about 6 months straight. What did the police or the courts do about it??? Absolutely nothing. I was even told at one point that 6 months was not that long of a time. It took me a long time but i finally figured out where she lived, and one of the times that she wouldn’t show up for the visitation i showed up at her apartment. When she saw me pull up she decided to sneak out the back way so that she wouldn’t be there when i came up to her door, however i caught her in the process of dragging my daughter off by the arm so that they could get out of there in a hurry. When i confronted my ex wife you can believe i had some choice words for her. I never once threatened her, but you can believe I called her just about every name in the book. Can you guess what happened after that??? I was still pretty naive so i never even saw it coming. 2 weeks later when i went to pick up my daughter again, the local PD had some officers waiting for me, and they served me with a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order). She stated that because of my military training she was terrified that i was going to hurt her. Along with the TRO is included a law that states i must turn in or sell all weapons that i own. The judge ultimately slapped me with a 5 year restraining order not because of any DV (domestic violence) but because i harassed her. Yes ladies and gentlemen i am currently stripped of all of my second amendment rights, because i yelled at a person who was keeping me from my child. How’s that for justice???

American Patriot1980 on March 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It would have been better for the world if Blackmore had killed the woman-kicking scumbag when he “moved toward” the rescuer.

profitsbeard on March 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM