Video: Passerby with concealed carry in Wisconsin saves woman’s life

posted at 10:01 am on March 14, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

We hear plenty from gun-control advocates that firearms don’t prevent or stop attacks, and how they’re more likely to end up being used against victims instead. Tell that to Charlie Blackmore, who recently acquired a concealed-carry permit in Wisconsin after the legislature recently made them legal. Blackmore, a Marine Corps veteran, wasn’t being attacked himself, but was driving down the street early in the morning when he saw a large man kicking something in the sidewalk. When Blackmore realized the “something” was in fact a woman, he stopped the attack without firing a shot — and probably saved the woman’s life:

A Marine Corps veteran was able to stop a man early Tuesday, March 12th from nearly kicking a woman to death. It happened near 102nd and Lincoln, and Wisconsin’s concealed carry law made his efforts possible.

Charlie Blackmore was driving home from work at 4:00 a.m. along Lincoln Avenue when he saw something on the sidewalk. Blackmore didn’t realize it was a woman on the ground being kicked in the head and stomach until he got closer.

That’s when he jumped out of his car and sprung into action.

“I said ‘stop’ and he starts coming towards me and that`s when I drew on him. He started getting closer and I said ‘get down on the ground,’” Blackmore said.

Blackmore held his gun on the suspect and called West Allis police. He says several times while waiting for police to arrive, the attacker moved toward him.

“I mean I’ve already made it up in mind that if he came at me I was going to have to take him down and I told him that. I warned him multiple times not to come towards me because he was a big guy and I wasn’t playing around and he didn’t seem like he was playing around,” Blackmore said.

If you think that the woman couldn’t have been killed with the man’s feet, think again. In 2011, more than twice as many murder victims died from “personal weapons” — hands, feet — as did from rifles of all kinds, not just “assault weapons.” In this case, the man was the woman’s jilted ex-boyfriend who had been stalking her. She might be considering a concealed-carry permit next, if the boyfriend isn’t put away for a very long time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Of course, battery is also illegal, as is murder, but that didn’t seem to slow this guy down one whit.

I R A Darth Aggie on March 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Which is why the Marine or the woman should be allowed to do so with something that will slow him down – something weighing about 115-230 grains with a nice copper jacket……..

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

E9RET on March 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Get AdBlockerPlus (for free).

Solaratov on March 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

EM

…then your thought process is defective.

Saltysam on March 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

From an Army vet to a Marine vet, Well done, young man.

Solaratov on March 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Hopefully, it won’t be after one of those grandkids survived a violent crime.

Good for this Marine!

Ans p*ss on all you gun-grabbing liberals!

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM

If you think that the woman couldn’t have been killed with the man’s feet….

EM

Ask the two 6th graders who killed the boy they had been bullying for a year by kicking him in the head: Twelve year old O’ Neill, a student at Darby Township in Pennsylvania, was taken off life support Sunday after being placed in a medically induced coma. He was beaten up by fellow classmates on January 10. O’Neill was punched two to three times in the face and didn’t fight back, according to prosecutors.

Story here

RedManBlueState on March 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

What we need is a government allocation to make sure all such signs are in large bold letters; I think $50 billion should suffice.

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Obviously, we need the signs in Spanish too…..better make it $100 billion

Ditkaca on March 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Racists. What about those that speak Austrian?

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

OH GEEE… I wonder why the gov’t doesn’t keep stats on how many people like this were SAVED by a gun that never went off??? I bet you it’s a LOT more than the mainstream media would have you believe. After this story, I guess, they’ll say it has only happened once.

RedManBlueState on March 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Story here

RedManBlueState on March 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I always feel so sorry for the victims; they don’t know any better, haven’t been taught to protect and defend themselves. Poor kids.

So very tired of liberals and their waiting for the government or “someone else” to do “something”. What about teaching their kids to defend themselves, some self-respect and then when they get suspended for fighting back or not being a victim to be d&mned proud of them.

No. Liberals must be victims. It’s a mental illness.

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

A few years ago Milwaukee’s anti-gun Mayor Barrett tried to intervene in a man beating a woman episode near State Fair Park and the would be hero got the snot beat out of him with a tire iron for his effort. Lost some teeth, broken arm lots of stitches. A firearm would have saved him some dental work and plastic surgery, but believe it or not he is still anti-gun. That just shows how thick a liberal mindset is and how difficult it is to get them to see the light. Of course he doesn’t leave his security detail behind anymore!! Morons!

Deano1952 on March 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM

RedManBlueState on March 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM

If I recall, the stat is between 65-70% that when an armed citizen needs to draw his weapon, he doesn’t have to fire. About two weeks ago, a guy tried to rob a store with a knife. The owner drew his gun, told the kid to drop the knife, and stay put. The kid wisely obeyed, and was arrested when police arrived.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

An[d] p*ss on all you gun-grabbing liberals!

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Well, that should keep them from coming after you!

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No. Liberals must be victims. It’s a mental illness.

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

This is just it. Kids are taught nowadays NEVER to defend themselves. They’re just supposed to take the beating and then report it to the adults, who will calmly sit down with the bully and discuss his feelings with him. He’ll tell them what they want to hear, after which he will find the victim and adminsister another beating as punishment for getting him in trouble.

If the victim should have the temerity to haul off and drop this jerk like a bad habit, the victim is then treated like some violent head case.

Self-reliance is being slowly conditioned out of our kids.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I will say this.

I would hope that any Marine veteran could have handled the situation without a gun. (To be explicit, I would hope our Marine hand-to-hand training would be sufficient to neutralize an attacker without a gun.)

However, the assailant would be in a hospital right now, rather than awaiting trial.

So, at least in this case, the gun actually actively reduced the amount of damage inflicted all around.

Scott H on March 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

When my son was in second grade, I got a call from the principal he was involved in a fight. The details are that my son (small and skinny at the time, and very quiet to the pint of being shy) got into a scrap with five bigger boys. They say he started it, and the principal (a lib) found that totally plausible even though the little thugs had a history of starting trouble. The principal said he would give them all detention, which I said was not acceptable for my son. So, the little snot liberal said, “Then I won’t punish any of them!” and hung up.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My initial instinct, after reading this comment:

Do we know if she tried pooping? I hear that’s all she needs to do.

Washington Nearsider on March 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Well if her ex was kicking her in the stomach she might have barfed, unless it was just your garden variety kick in the stomach….

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

was to declare that in my opinion, this was the thread “WINNER!”

But then I read on and realized there were several others clearly worthy of top prize . . . for example,

No indication whether the woman was blowing her whistle…

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Well, she wasn’t being *raped* so blowing her whistle would have been tantamount to screaming fire in a crowded theater. /s

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Or, this following one [in agreement w/you, listens2glenn on March 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM ]:

Thank G*d the woman wasn’t armed…she might ahve shot the Good Samaritan and/or the Police when they showed up! You know how excitable womenz can be!

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

And obviously, this following one as well:

The West Allis police chief says these types of situations really are judgement calls for gun owners. While they don’t encourage this behavior, they appreciate citizens watching out for each other as long as they do it legally and are willing to accept the consequences.

Yes, Remember friends, this man will have to wake up in the morning, every morning and think about how he saved a defenseless woman that he didn’t even know from being beaten to death on a public street without firing a shot.

Talk about your consequences. I sure hope he can live with himself after this.

Lily on March 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Great thread!!

ps:

As far as I can tell, there is only one real ringer in the thread so far . . . some poor off-topic schlump who was lost in cyber Ad space . . . E9RET on March 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM, and who was promptly but gently dispatched to the “Hot-Air Humiliation Annex” [aka, "HA HA"] by FlaMurph on March 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Self-reliance is being slowly conditioned out of our kids.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Not in my house. There would be a party provided they were standing up/protecting themselves.

Self-reliance is a bad thing in LiberalLand. All allegiance and need must be directed to the government.

Did enjoy the bolded part, though. ;)

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Racists. What about those that speak Austrian?

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We don’t have a lot of Romanians living here, but yeah, just in case.

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Self-reliance is being slowly conditioned out of our kids.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

exactly. i remember having a problem with some kid in grammer school and my mother simply told me to beat the sh_t out of him. period. not my father tellng me this, but my mother. but you’d have to understand my mother. she was raised on a farm and has zero tolerance for “feelings”, etc. God i love her!

GhoulAid on March 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My daughter was bullied by a few boys in public school. Most of the time it was verbal, but one day it got physical when one of these darlings took her lunch bag away from her in the cafeteria and threw half her lunch on the floor. I called the principal. She gave me the usual song and dance about getting all sides of the story. I told her these boys had a history of bullying my daughter, citing specific examples going back three years(!). I told her I expected a call back later that day, where she would tell me what punishment he’d be receiving, and I did not want to hear the words “reflective time out” (their usual penalty for this sort of thing, which basically amounted to the kid sitting in the corner for several minutes). I told her if it happened again, I’d go to the police. She called me an hour later to say he’d be enjoying detention in her office.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

God i love her!

GhoulAid on March 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Sounds like my mom, except for the farm.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I’m just waiting for Illinois to miss their Federal Court mandated date to enact a CCW law…the next day everyone in Illinois will be able to carry concealed without a permit…

PatriotRider on March 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Scott H on March 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Without knowing if the attacker was armed, I wouldn’t get inside close-quarters range.

Washington Nearsider on March 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The reality is that if you choose to intervene or even to defend yourself you are risking some very difficult consequences, gun or no gun, even if you do everything right.

Bottom line is that you carry a gun to defend yourself and perhaps others. Cross the line into punishing someone with your gun and you’ve lost all legal protection. It’s something every gun owner who wants to stay out of jail needs to continually remind him/herself. It’s also something a lot of anti-gun liberals can’t conceive of.

Socratease on March 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

This has been a highly entertaining thread – lots of good comments.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Socratease on March 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

In this case, he was very smart. He diverted the threat. He removed it from the woman on the ground and got the perp occupied with him without firing. At that point, the ball’s in the perp’s court. If he had continued to behave in a threatening manner, or upped the ante by going for his own weapon (if he had one), then the Marine would have been perfectly justified in ruining his weekend.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

then the Marine would have been perfectly justified in ruining ending his weekend life.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Minor adjustment for my own personal opinion.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Nearsider: Oh, I agree. I simply wanted to stipulate that, in a purely ‘personal weapon’-based fight between a Marine veteran and a larger American of unknown background, my money’s on the Marine every time.

My larger point was that the scenario that obtained was even less injurious than a similar situation if guns had not been involved.

Scott H on March 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

In these situations, it’s critically important to make sure your Joe Biden Emergency Reaction Kit is ready. Strap a heavy gauge steel door to your car roof. Make sure you have at least a 28-guage, double barrel shotgun in the trunk, and carry lots of birdshot. In case of emergency, unstrap the door and ask a passerby to hold it up. Stand close, and let ‘er rip with the shotgun. The sound of all that shot on the door will make would-be attackers run!

Protip: enhance your aim buy getting a door with a small, diamond window, or if you want to get really close, a peephole. Go get ‘em!

ChicagoJewishGuy on March 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Minor adjustment for my own personal opinion.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

That was my meaning.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Scott H on March 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Money on the Marine? Yup. Every time.

And you’re right. The Marine having a weapon probably saved the criminal from a serious ass beating.

Washington Nearsider on March 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Outstanding young man. The NRA should get this guy on a country wide speaking tour. This incident is a textbook example of “peace thru superior firepower” to quote Mr. Bohdi. This former Marine should be held up as perfect exemplification for what 2nd Amendment is about to (most) of us crazy bitter clingers.

VengeanceIsMine on March 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Was there not any safety zones around that she could stand in and wait for the police to show up?

tommer74 on March 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That was my meaning.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Right on.
Like the t-shirt I want to get says “Due to high ammo prices, you will not get a warning shot”.
Not too long ago, I might have considered a warning shot to the knee. But the way people and courts are going these days with lawsuits I’d prefer the perp not have the ability to sue.
If I have to shoot, it’s shoot to kill.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Racists. What about those that speak Austrian?

kim roy on March 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We don’t have a lot of Romanians living here, but yeah, just in case.

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I’m fairly certain that was a joke ;)

But who will speak up for the people of Kyrzakhstan?

CapnObvious on March 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

SEQUESTRATION!

Just more evidence that john Boehner hates womyn.

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Nice (not) shooting, Marine!

Prop Gun on March 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I’m fairly certain that was a joke ;)

CapnObvious on March 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

So was Bishop’s comment. :) (Roman -> Romanian)

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

And I DAMN GUARANTEE the ‘large bad man’ would NOT have taken one little step TOWARDS Blackmore if he lifted an AR-15 into low-ready position and announced his presence to the azzhole kicking the downed woman.
A rifle WILL get your attention AND your cooperation.

Missilengr on March 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Just think–if libs get their way, current stories like this will never again be told. Instead, some of us will one day be telling our grandkids of the old days when a man with a gun could stop women from being beaten, mom&pop stores from being robbed, and senior citizens from being mugged. Liam

You realize that statistically your grand kids are more likely to shoot themselves in the head than the distopic fantasy you’re proposing?

Mmm...Burritos on March 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Statistically speaking, 100% of people who shoot themselves in the head use a gun. MUST BAN BOOMSTICKS!!!

Uhhh….Pot-inducedMunchies on March 14, 2013.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

A question for those more familiar with gun laws and involvement with the police:

Should someone holding a criminal at gun point be required to put their hands up if told to by the police? He has the right to hold his gun but if he is pointing it at someone and police do not have the story…..I don’t know what the law requires on how a gun holder should respond or how a policeman should respond.

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Biden is off to the Vatican to make trouble. Can’t wait to see what comes out of his mouth.

Blake on March 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Only reason I can think of for giving Biden the VP job was so when he was assigned to “make trouble” he could only makes Obama look smarter in comparison.

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Uhhh….Pot-inducedMunchies on March 14, 2013.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

You need to think like a liberal.

Ban heads!

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I doubt there’s a specific law, but it would be *prudent* to obey the police when they show up and you’re the one holding a gun. That said, it would also be prudent to maneuver yourself to a position of safety if the reason you’re still pointing a gun at the fella is because you think he will act quickly to harm you. Preferrably do so before the police show up so you can safely respond to any direction of the police.

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM

For prudence, set down your personal weapon, step away, and announce you’re the one who either made the call or asked a third party to call police. Also, if making the call, give your name. The police will step from the car with weapons drawn, so the criminal won’t be making a move. Co-operate in full with police, and you’ll be safe.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Co-operate in full with police, and you’ll be safe.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

In theory – and in most places.
The history of LAPD and NYPD shooting innocent people does not bode well for your chances in those particular jurisdictions.
Of course in those places YOU are automatically the criminal by virtue of having a gun.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Mmm…Burritos on March 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I’d like to see yuor statistical “evidence” for that please, bearing in mind that dead grand-kids v. armed robberies v. rape v. murder sta’s would be a BIT difficult to overcome.

I realize that this is Math, and that Math is hard, but try any way.

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

It’s prudent to tell the dispatcher you are armed. Police don’t like surprises.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

In theory – and in most places.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I know. But police don’t want a confrontation if they can avoid one. I don’t expect even LAPD to get out of a car and open fire in a ‘common’ circumstance–using the term loosely.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Not to sound like SWalker here, but considering how the Torrance PD reacted to:
1) Old(er) ladies delivering papers; and
2) One surfer dude in the area after 1)

I would not place money on the PD NOT shooting, certainly they will be very “tense” when they arrive on the scene and someone, not a millicent, is drawing down on someone.

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It’s prudent to tell the dispatcher you are armed. Police don’t like surprises.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Yes, that, too. Important point, on your point.

That reminds me–about two weeks ago, I read a story where a guy called police and said he had prowlers at his home. the dispatcher said cops would arrive in twenty minutes; they were all busy.

He called back a minute later, and said he was armed.

He had police protection inside of three minutes.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not to sound like SWalker here, but considering how the Torrance PD reacted to:
1) Old(er) ladies delivering papers; and
2) One surfer dude in the area after 1)

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Agreed. But how much is propaganda vs reality? I worked on occasion with PA State Police. I’m not in position to speak on all things, but I’m of the view there are certain ‘universals’, the solidity being subject to locale.

Just some ideas, given experiences and being trained in how to handle my firearms. Especially after police arrive.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Thanks. Don’t have a gun yet. Not experienced with how to respond with the law.

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Thanks. I’m a bit green on guns. (don’t have one yet)

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

In theory – and in most places.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

That was my concern. Law and justice should be feared for multiple reasons.

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM

It’s prudent to tell the dispatcher you are armed. Police don’t like surprises.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Good advice.

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Thanks. Don’t have a gun yet. Not experienced with how to respond with the law.

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

A little start, if you please.

If you announce to a criminal you are making a citizen’s arrest, you are required to read him Moranda.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Thanks. I’m a bit green on guns. (don’t have one yet)

shick on March 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

If you know anyone with a legal firearm, ask to go shooting with him/her.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Congratulations to the man who stopped the guy beating the woman! I am not and never have been against personal possession of a firearm for self defense.

However, for every good outcome like this, thousands of people are killed every year via suicide, accidental shootings, domestic violence, etc.

I suspect I’ll wait a long time for HA to post a story of a three-year-old who shoots himself to death because he thought the gun left on the coffee table was a toy.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Man kills self in front of children at Bellevue gun-safety class

Mmm...Burritos on March 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Because I imagine it happens about as often as the 3 y.o. who drowns in the 5 gallon paint bucket….but a whole lot less than the 1.5 million times PER YEAR that fire arms are used to prevent a crime.

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Amazing how the trolls simply can’t leave us alone. They simply HAVE TO come up with any reason why normal people should not be allowed to own firearms. “Oh, I certainly agree with the right to bear arms, but here’s a dozen statistics I pulled out of my @$$ to suggest otherwise.”

It’s like they really don’t like the idea of people with whom they disagree being armed.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Mmm…Burritos on March 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Got one data point, now factor that ONE point in twith the multiple rapes, murders, and armed robberies that occured that day and get back to me.

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Because law-abiding gun owners leave loaded pistols on their coffee table with kids around all the time.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You have been all along, in so many insidious ways. The history of your posts tells all about you which, in this case (again) is that you lie.

Again.

Irrelevant. Given you liberals and your ways, the way to stop suicides by guns is to ban heads. You’re a liar, yet again.

I also notice you–a liberal–mentioned nothing at all about the illegal guns on the streets of Chicago, Detroit, LA, Washington, NYC…etc. You might think your liberal self so smug, smarmy, and enlightened.

You’re not.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

A three-year-old can’t pull the trigger of a modern firearm. The pull is too hard and the weapons are made for adults, which means a toddler can’t reach the trigger of a gun any better than he can reach the gas pedal of a car.

Our Friend Del, who bothers scoring you liberals, might bother to give you a Z-double-minus in an alternate universe.

Your very presence defeats your own arguments.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

There’s a reason it made the news. Same reason plane crashes make the news.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

You trolls are late. Did one of you have to stay after school? Orthodontist appointment?

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Mmm…Burritos on March 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I believe you were asked for data, not a single anecdote.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I suspect you’ll wait a long time to find a current story of that happening somewhere other than in a gangbanger’s house. (FYI – that means illegal possession of a weapon, and little desire on the part of the possessor to practice safe firearms handling.)

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

That is some of the dumbest crap I’ve seen written here.
Do you even have a clue that this case is in fact a form of domestic violence (ex boyfriend beating the woman to death) that was stopped by someone with a gun?

In the real world, for every gun related suicide, murder, accidental shooting, domestic violence attack, rape, and robbery, there are dozens if not hundreds of uses of guns to prevent or stop crime.

And more kids die every year in swimming pools than are killed by ANY kind of gun use.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Let me help you out Burrito’s…ON AVERAGE 4,109 crimes PER day are averted thru the use of a fire arm….~12,000 people per year commit suicide, or about ~33 per day….I see fire arems as far less of a problem, in that context and you?

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

A three-year-old can’t pull the trigger of a modern firearm.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I will disagree with that statement, Liam. It depends on whether the trigger pull has been modified, just how big that 3yo is, and whether there are other factors involved (trigger caught on something, for example and the kid pulls hard enough on the entire weapon). It is highly unlikely, and is also one of those things that very basic firearms safety will prevent.

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Hey, Chumpie!

Instead of complaining about how many people commit suicide by guns, how about you wonder instead who is more apt to take that final fall–liberals or Conservatives?

Fit that dynamic into your politics.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Man kills self in front of children at Bellevue gun-safety class

Mmm…Burritos on March 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

So what?
I found out at a reunion that one of my classmates blew his brains out in the front yard in front of his kids because of a messy divorce. Here in Colorado Springs a couple weeks ago a 22 year old psycho with a long history of mental problems stabbed his girlfriends 2 kids (aged 10 months and 3 years, and not HIS kids) to death then stabbed himself to death.
About 33,000 people (adults) a year kill themselves, roughly half with guns. Why guns? – maybe because it’s quicker and therefore less painful than other methods.
So what’s your point and what is the relevance to this thread?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Rather than Gun Control, shuldn’t we have Education Classes on Not Killing Oneself?

Apparently that’s the best way to confront the Rape Issue, why not Suicide?

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

True, true. I was speaking in generalities, only to illustrate a point against an insane partisan liberal who I recall was full of glee on the day of the Sandy Hook murders. There are exceptions, I agree.

But one event on Occasion X does not validate a liberals’ point, no matter how much he wants it to sustain.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Apparently that’s the best way to confront the Rape Issue, why not Suicide?

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Hey, if you’re having a bad day, just crap your pants. Everybody will leave you alone and you’ll feel better.

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I could vomit on myself…OR vomit on you, that might make me feel better…

We could have No Suicide Zones/Signs…

Whistles, how about a Suicide Whistle? If I’m tooting on it, I need an intervention/hug?

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If I’m tooting on it, I need an intervention/hug?

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If you’re tooting, I’m not hugging you!

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I could vomit on myself…OR vomit on you
JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Believe it or not, that might be considered assault under the law.

To intentionally spit on someone else is assault under the law.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Hey, Chumpie!

Fit that dynamic into your politics.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Richard Cory

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

If you’re tooting, I’m not hugging you!

CurtZHP on March 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

*LMAO*

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

This has been a highly entertaining thread – lots of good comments.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Yep. Sure has been — and still is.

I’ll also confess that for one very brief moment whilst reading all those good comments — now save one — the cockamamie thought even flashed into my mind (where it was summarily dismissed), that as a result, nearly everyone should get a “winner” medal! Yay!

And that was the moment when the epiphany suddenly hit . . . that may actually be the way so many liberals and progressives “think.”

Thus, whenever a half-baked thought pops into their heads, they may simply not have the capacity to deal with it appropriately.

But in any event, they do not take the opportunity, nor do they have the inclination, to subject it to any real form of internal critical mental faculty.

Whereupon, said thought quickly metastasizes into what they wrongly believe is an an actual “idea”, one which they then immediately feel compelled to express to others.

Trochilus on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Richard Cory

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Sadly Literary Criticism doesn’t really advance your cause on Gun Control…

JFKY on March 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

No direct personal answer. Just a worthless link so you, yourself, can make a dodge.

I don’t want to read your shabby links. You make statements against us all, personally. How about you answer, in person the same way I and the other Conservatives here do, all the time–and at your childish demand?

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

“Yet there was no gunman on the loose when Julio Segura-McIntosh died in Tacoma, Wash. The 3-year-old accidentally shot himself in the head while playing with a gun he found inside a car.”

No, I didn’t read this story on HotAir. That was the point of my OP.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

In response to your irrelevant speculation, Liam.

Click or don’t. No skin off me.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Know what really defeats all you trolls here, those just like you, Chumpie?

You, yourselves.

Your words; your actions; your very nature–all that among all of you is why you’re so…worthless.

I used to be very liberal. If I went Left, I would leave YOU and the other trolls here in the dust, tell all my Conservative colleagues to disregard you. You are counter-revolutionary, useless to The Cause.

There is no way (thanks be to God) I could turn my Conservative colleagues to the liberal way, but I would have them thinking according to liberal thoughts far better than you can or might.

In sum..YOU are a miserable failure to your own cause.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

blockquote>Hey, Chumpie!
Fit that dynamic into your politics.
Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Since chumpie can’t answer in any logical or factual manner, here’s a piece for consideration.
Disregarding the theories about the Clintons having people knocked off, and taking the death reports at face value, why have so many liberals associated with the Clintons killed themselves?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

In response to your irrelevant speculation, Liam.

Click or don’t. No skin off me.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I don’t need to speculate. I have YOU, as you are and have clearly stated of yourself over quite a long time.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

why have so many liberals associated with the Clintons killed themselves?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Desperate times require desperate measures? *L*

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

No, I didn’t read this story on HotAir. That was the point of my OP.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

2.4 million people die in the US every year, 120,000 of those are “accidental”.
How many of them do you expect HA to report on?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

FOX has posted a follow-up story on the perp:

apparently not a ROP adherent. Not obviously anyway.

gh on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

No, I didn’t read this story on HotAir. That was the point of my OP.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

You keep trying and seeking to prove a point.

The proof of my point is YOU.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Good. Then you’ll be able to provide a link to a statement where I have opposed firearms for personal protection…

Do take your time…

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Do take your time…

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I have the day of Sandy Hook. Others will look at all those threads.

And so many others where you have written.

Time, time, and times again. With experience and your own postings.

You have shown yourself. And, as a typical liberal, you will seek to wiggle out of it.

Do whatya gotta do. I’m consistent and neither back down nor deflect.

You, on the other hand, seek to hide and couch.

If I had remained liberal, I would be able to banish you from The Cause, because YOU are a failure at it.

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This article doesn’t prove ANYTHING about guns.

What we NEED…..PEOPLE……is to educate men so they don’t stalk and beat their ex-girlfriends.

Did someone already make this joke?

hisfrogness on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

2.4 million people die in the US every year, 120,000 of those are “accidental”.
How many of them do you expect HA to report on?

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

“Guy With Gun Saves Woman” is pretty convenient for a pro-gun point-of-view.

“Three-Year-Old Dies in Accidental Shooting”, not so much.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Liam on March 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Agree wholeheartedly.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

No data out there, so you resort to posting links to wikipedia about a poem?!? Not your “A” game, chump.

chumpThreads on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Not everything gets posted on HotAir, chump. Especially stuff from HuffPo. But, let’s take just the case of the boy in the headline, little Julio. The one adult (bf of the mother) left his legally carried weapon in the car, loaded, under the seat [violation of concealed carry laws in WA state] [violation of firearm safety since there *are* things under the seat that might catch the trigger], while he and the mother got out of the car at the gas station and left the two kids in the car, unsupervised [likely violation of WA child endangerment laws] [violation of basic firearm safety]. The kid got out of his seat, crawled around, and reached under the seat to get the weapon.

Yes, very tragic, but more an example of why firearms safety is so important than of why no one should have firearms.

GWB on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM