Rubio at CPAC: “There is no tax increase in the world that will solve our long-term debt crisis”

posted at 4:08 pm on March 14, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

There have been reports that the bipartisan group of senators working on an immigration plan have reached an agreement on a pathway to legal status to the country’s 11 million illegal immigrants, but Republicans dodged the issue earlier this week, insisting that there’s still plenty of work to be done before they’re ready to roll the thing out — and Sen. Rubio probably knew that CPAC wasn’t the time or place to get into it. Conspicuously avoiding the immigration topic (even steering clear of the story of his parents’ immigration from Cuba), he went for a more crowd-pleasing conservative smorgasbord instead.

Not that that was a bad thing — getting the obligatory water-bottle joke out of the way early, he went straight for the free enterprise, constitutional principles, the importance of family, and American greatness. I tend to think that one of Rubio’s greatest strengths lies in effectively countering President Obama and the Democrat’s Republican-demonization strategery, and he didn’t disappoint on that front, touting free markets as the most effective method of lifting people out of poverty and chiding the Obama administration that our obligations to our fellow men are not better served by government fiat and $16 trillion debts.

And that bubbling student-loan debacle he mentioned at the end there? Truth.

The number of young borrowers who have fallen behind on their student loan payments has soared over the past four years, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York said in a report released Thursday.

According to the report, 35% of people under 30 who have student loans were at least 90 days late on their payments at the end of last year, up from 26% in 2008 and 21% at the end of 2004.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hear Palin’s supposed to speak on Saturday. I wonder what the odds are that you’ll see a word of it here?

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The water jokes are getting old. He needs to move on.

Mark1971 on March 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Jeb not pleased with this young Turk in 5…4…

Well except on AMNESTY for 20 million Rubio supports.

PappyD61 on March 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My guess is pretty high. I don’t think AP will pass up on easy comment bait like that.

besser tot als rot on March 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

what’s w/ that cheesy intro music? gravity, please.

Steven McGregor on March 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Today we must all be aware that political expediency takes precedence over constitutional procedure. However you say – WHAT THE – what does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must once again realize that the great reconquesta story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Marco Rubio… indicating that only a two-faced, I mean a bi-faced, I mean a bi-lingual hombre can receive…the award for reconquesta, unlike Kenyan Hussein Obama whose reconquesta plans don’t drink water.

Amigos – comrades – friends, we are gathered here not only to acknowledge one man without any borders – one who has found that the world in itself seems to be a time of the toad. This in itself is an edifice of the great glory that has gone beyond, and the intuitive feeling of the American people, based on the assumption that the intelligence not only as Mencken once said, “He who underestimates the American voter will not go broke.” This is merely a small indication of this vast throng gathered here to once again behold and to perceive that which has gone way into the behind and to that which might go forward out of the future…we’ve got to rip up the constitution so we can rip down those borders!.

This is the main deterrent upon which we have gathered our strength and all the others who say, “What the hell did that get?” – We don’t know. We’ve got to perforce support the binational .. i mean bilingual Messiah… And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he … that language is only necessary when bilingual communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said “It is not the lack of communication but fear of communication.” That’s what the damn thing is that we fear – communication – especially Spanish communication that’s even on a box of Wheaties now. Damn it! But we have no paranoia,. and Senator McCain has attained, and has created for himself serenity, and it is only his insanity that has kept him alive in his senility.

Alright, moving right along here in my brief remarks. We speak of the organ…of the orgasm…Who the hell wrote this !!!??? And the bi-lingual, I mean the bi-partisan panel, has determined to give the prize to Marco Rubio for his EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of this man’s genius…he told me so himself and repeatedly …that he could change perceptions by calling his plan for knocking down those pesky borders EARNESTLY …in other words, he could have been more specific, but rather than to allude to an articulation of the mundane, he has come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow first world existence. God damn!

Ladies and Gentlemen. The time will come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, maybe it was both or maybe it was Harpo, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a majority Spanish speaking nation, then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that especially when the booze runs out …

All right…However, I want to thank Madame Erika Johnsen of the HOTGAS Press, who has made it possible for you people to be here this afternoon to enjoy the Reconquesta Citation – Marco Rubio’s . EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 450 of them … million live in the United States and Mexico which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the DNC, the organization for the $1,000 in affirmative action scholarships they’ve given out…tonight they took in over $4,000,000, but they do have expenses you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, I want to thank Madame Erika Johnsen. I want to thank Mr. Morrisey, who just ran through the auditorium and out a fire exit, and I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Pharaoh and Drone Commander of the World – and also I want to thank Professor Irwin Corey and thank you.

RasThavas on March 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

The water jokes are getting old. He needs to move on.

Mark1971 on March 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I think he needs to keep bringing it up until people moan when they hear it. Then when the Democrats (including the press) try to use it to mock him (e.g., on SNL), it will be met with groans instead of laughter.

besser tot als rot on March 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

But,,let me be clear the best way is to legalize the 20 million illegals here in the U.S. put them on the tax rolls, on Obama care, in the welfare state, and then use them to cut labor costs so that all the city, county, state and federal goverment contrats on the low bid deal will be cheap as hell and we leaders will not get voted out due to the fact that taxes take up to 50% of every ones lives.

Long live wage slaves!

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

besser tot als rot on March 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

She spoke last year as well. Not a single post about it. Commenters had to cover it in a Romney thread or something. My guess is about 5,000-1.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

speech was good though. like the intensity.

Steven McGregor on March 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

She’s on the schedule for noon, on Sat.

Erika supplied the schedule in the other CPAC thread, today.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Completely extemporaneous as well.. Only a few notes. And I guess no immigration because he doesn’t want to get heckled at CPAC.

I like the we have an idea called America and it still works line. Rubio does know how to use words and imagery to great effect.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The immigration reform legislation will be brought up for a vote after the Easter break. I’ve already read reports suggesting that the reason is because everyone involved in trying to pass the legislation is worried about the congress members having to face angry constituents at home after those constituents find out what’s in the legislation over the Easter break and then returning to Washington DC and deciding they can’t take the political risk of passing it. The general view is that if they bring it up immediately after the congress members return from the Easter break they can ram it though before anyone has a chance to read it, before the constituents have the opportunity to find out what’s in the legislation, and before the politicians involved can hear from their constituents and have the opportunity to think about the repercussions of passing legislation of which their constituents disapprove.

Rubio, one of the senators involved in drafting the legislation, has curiously abandoned his understanding of, and regard for, the rule of law where the immigration issue is concerned. He’s waffled back and forth on the issue, turning this way and that as the political wind blew. If he could be so elastic on this issue, willing to embrace the political expediency, he could be similarly ‘flexible’ on any issue. A true politician.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

“Brown the new wage slave flag”.

“But don’t you see they are better off being slaves in the U.S. than slaves in Mexico.”

Heck I will even let them mow my lawn for $35.00 a week.

Much more useful herein.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

She’s on the schedule for noon, on Sat.

Erika supplied the schedule in the other CPAC thread, today.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

And unless Levi Johnston tries to crash the joint, that’s about all you’ll hear about it. Dunno, it’s just annoyingly obvious.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Meh. He’s sort of the GOP Obama in the sense that he’s been given a manufactured aura as a rhetorical artist. Rubio’s speeches are kind of blah, honestly. As Obama’s always have been.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yeppers, too young, too Machiavellian.

Amnesty should knock them all down, the sellers of the US.

It will not bring more R votes. Only fools believe that.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Love is blind, thank God.

Did you look at the schedule. There are lots of good speakers. They won’t run a thread on all.

They may/may not run one on SP. Maybe they’ll do one when she speaks, just like this one.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Obama can read off a teleprompter while imitating an African American preacher. Rubio can give speeches off the cuff with a few notes. A huge difference in abilities there. And yes Rubio does channel Obama circa 2008 in the sunshine department, which isn’t a bad thing if you want to win elections.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Heh “they’re not freeloaders; they’re not liberals”…

Never use “liberal” with leftists, never, nor “progressive”.

Plus, there are plenty of looters/moochers on the right.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

And the Oaf in Chief just congratulated the dictator in China.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Good afternoon, Schadenfreude. I agree with you. Machiavelli would be well pleased.

Can you guess who I see playing Svengali to one of our ‘rising stars’?

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Love is blind, thank God.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

So is hatred, doofus.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

It isn’t a bad thing if you have the media to help sell you as something you’re not, which luxury Rubio doesn’t have. And it doesn’t make any difference if this one needs sheet music to play “Chopsticks” and that one does it from memory. It’s still only “Chopsticks”, not a Chopin etude.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

He just packed up his teleprompter :)

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It depends on if it is news.. Rubio and Paul both got threads because of the 2016 narrative. Plus, both got a thread after they spoke because the speeches were hits. Ryan and Jindal will probably get a thread as well because of 2016. Jeb Bush as well (due to the chilly reception he will likely get). Romney will get one due to the awkwardness of the whole situation. Palin is old news, so probably not.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I just love Sarah and West. I hope they both do what they feel they need to do to help our Republic?

We need all the help we can get to get rid of rino’s in 2014 and get the senate/keep the house by a larger number?
L

letget on March 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

So is hatred, doofus.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Indeed, the left hate us, starting with Obama.

Being called a “doofus” by you, good one, made me smile.

My nom thanks you.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Illegal and Legal immigration cuts the wages of all current and future Americans to include these new age wage/vote slaves.

Greed for these wage/vote slaves is an evil thing.

The melting pot has a crack in it due to overuse and freedom leaks out into the fire.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Palin is old news, so probably not.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I hope she gets one, to annoy you and your type, and to make good ddrintn happy.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Palin is old news, so probably not.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

She was “old news” last year as well. Burned the place up in a way that “the Savior” never ever will.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

What’s the problem with some people….we have to make excitement and excuses and exceptions for any minority that comes our “conservative” way,…as if only minorities have the ability to get us out of this mess. I’m sick of all the blinded fawning from our side. They make fun of Chris Matthews and the tingle up his leg…our guys get tingles up BOTH legs when a minority shows any leaning to the right.

VorDaj on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Being called a “doofus” by you, good one, made me smile.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Good.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I think that Rubio is more than capable of a Chopin etude. Palin is capable of mouthing warmed over conservative lines ala playing Chopsticks.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I’m sick of all the blinded fawning from our side.

VorDaj on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Love is blind, thank God.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Because 2008 VP nominee who quit one job and got fired from another just screams rebranded Republican Party.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

You mean like:

Groundbreaking!!!!! Never ever heard before!!!!!!!

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Elitist Romneybot snob from Chicago, same as Obama-snobs from OFA.

There are some ‘rubes’ who’ve seen more of the world than you have, and they are survivors too.

You Mittbots are as snotty as he is. It’s what lost it for you in the end, which is too bad/sad for the land, unless the frogs learn to jump out of the too hot water in the pan.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Rubio is turning into a beltway squish. Palin is a true Consevative.

Deal with it..:)

idesign on March 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

But who nevertheless still has much much more of a following than any of the “acceptable” sure-losers.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Rebranding doesn’t mean to throw out the entire baby.

p.s. I’m not even a SP fan any more. It’s just fun to observe your snotty types.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Wow, you sound like the haters at The Huffington Post and the Daily Kos. Seems like you’re posting on the wrong web site.

idesign on March 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Thus, I’ll leave you all to the Sarah Palin thread, which wasn’t gon’ be :)

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

When he said at 2:21, “Some people think that America had changed and that the people have changed.” I would have yelled out, “They haven’t changed, it’s just that they vote now!”

Because of registered voters being more likely to vote (and more every year) our relationship to government is irreversibly turned for the worse. It was probably inevitable.

happytobehere on March 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

LOL! That’s the truth. :)

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Thus, I’ll leave you all to the Sarah Palin thread, which wasn’t gon’ be :)

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

It’ll be like last year. Palin will fire up the audience, and there won’t be a word of it here except from commenters/writers like J. E. Dyer, who seems to have disappeared from this site.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Rubio gave a good and solid speech…most charismatic elected politician in our party.

Redford on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Governor Rick Perry gave a great CPAC speech today …

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Governor Rick Perry gave a great CPAC speech today …

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Perry’s usually very good.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Redford on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I missed the snark tag..:)

idesign on March 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Redford on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Robert… is that you? What are you doing out of Park City?

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Rubio gave a good and solid speech…

Redford on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

…which Romney could have and probably did give. You’re going to have to face it sooner or later: Rubio’s grotesquely overrated.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

VorDaj on March 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Amen to this!

MustLoveBlogs on March 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

If they are in the military, then they probably have and I thank them for their service. However, I don’t think that someone who doesn’t have a passport and has never been 100 miles from where they grew up has seen alot of the world. It seems to me that the issue with many conservatives is that they live in their own cloistered little world and don’t talk to people outside of it. If one lives in a small town in Texas and everyone feels the same way that you do about immigration and gay marriage, then I think that these ideas tend to be generalized. Conservatives may not realize that their ideas and attitudes might turn off suburban soccer moms in Hamilton County, Ohio. This is a problem for liberals as well, but it is more pressing for conservatives right now because we are losing elections.

As for Romney, I was never really high on Romney. I got yelled at here around election time because I was too much of a pessimist. He was the best of a bad bunch.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

LOL, “we”. That’s cute there.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

^ By the way, conservatives seem to be doing better than GOPe mannequins and other assorted squishes.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Really???!!??..Try checking the vault..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Well, IF you believe the IMF, raising ALL taxes by a mere 88% might do it…

Don’t Tax Away The Future! IMF: To Contain Future Budget, US Must Raise Taxes By 35%, Cut Entitlements 35%; Without Cuts, Taxes Must Rise By 88%!

But, that has the same likelihood of happening as does the world deciding to sink 19% of global GDP into US Treasuries EVERY YEAR beginning in 2020 in order to finance our debt.

Now, Just Who Exactly Is Acting All Racist, Imperialistic and Paternalistic???

Resist We Much on March 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I agree fully..Very good speech on that front..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

LOL, “we”. That’s cute there.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Not to mention “vote for me – I’ll give you free stuff” is the single biggest issue we’re fighting, and not some supposed lack of worldly wisdom.

I don’t know about the diva, but I’d trust just about anything a conservative who’d lived in a small town all his/her life told me. A “seen the world” trendy liberal? Not so much.

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Really???!!??..Try checking the vault..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I was totally wrong then, and I hereby admit it. Sorry. When I’m wrong, I do not hesitate to say so. And 16 pages of comments as well. I guess I missed the post, which must have come later in that day.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

^ Or night, or the next day. Anyway, apologies all around to all on that score.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You’re the one who’s ‘generalizing’. Further, one needn’t be well traveled in order to be able to pour water out of a boot when the instructions are clearly written on the heel. Those people in that small town in Texas are at a vantage point when it comes to illegal ‘immigration’ in that ‘the world’ is coming to them and they get to observe it and the effect it has on their community first hand.

Just because a person is well traveled does not insure that they have a clearer world view than someone who doesn’t travel. We have great technological innovations today, included among them computers and the internet. You may well be surprised how many people in those ‘small town(s)’ take regular advantage of it to learn about events and cultures around the globe.

Which leads me to my next point. Your argument reminded me of the same sort of assumptions and rhetoric I hear from the left when they are discussing ‘the fly over states’.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Well, not really though. The lack of a compelling alternative is the single biggest issue “we’re” fighting. You can’t beat Santa Claus is the mantra, but you can’t beat Santa by being Santa Lite.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

after the last election I have no faith that suburban soccer moms in Ohio are anything but LIVs

DanMan on March 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Obama says he would’ve objected to his own policies as a Senator, but he is President now so it’s different

“Even the most loyal establishment Democrats are now harshly denouncing the president for his war on transparency”

Resist We Much on March 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Not sure I agree in general, but if you mean recently you’re absolutely white. Why ANYONE was surprised that a policy-clone of Obama with white skin and without the victimhood complex lost to the genuine article, I’ll never understand. It was like Atari and the ET game: expecting everyone to buy cr@p out of sheer brand loyalty. And guess what? It failed.

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Actually it was posted not long after the speech by Tina Korbe..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, I dislike some of Rand Paul’s histrionics sometimes, but I think his heart’s in the right place and he’d provide a stark contrast to the Democrats. Which is why Rand will never ever be the GOP nominee. The GOPe would nuke the guy before the primaries even got under way.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Actually it was posted not long after the speech by Tina Korbe..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Well, I guess I missed it. Sorry again. :)

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

…well… he’s a genius!…my 9 year old cat knows that!
…another pander ‘pubican!

KOOLAID2 on March 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

At this point I’m not expecting much more than the GOP to finally nuke the fridge with conservatives in this manner. It will be a fitting death knell as America implodes.

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

One thing I can say about this site though, which I’ve come to appreciate compared to some other “conservative” sites out there (*cough, cough*) is that you can harshly and sometimes unjustly criticize the writers/ moderators here without being banned immediately. You don’t get banned here just for failing to be a trained seal.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Rubio’s speeches are kind of blah, honestly.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

One that I saw him give on Life at the Susan B Anthony List Gala was truly excellent.

happytobehere on March 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

And with Democrats voting 6 times apiece… gee… wonder how that happened?

94 million eligible voters didn’t bother to get off of the couch and go vote.

Obama won by a very slender margin.

See you in ’16.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Jackie, this specimen believes all conservatives to be rubes, from the soft soil. Follow this, up/down, a little. The elitism is a ‘winner’, every time. Even Urban Elitist sounded better.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Conspicuously avoiding the immigration amnesty topic

Gee, I wonder why Rubio would avoid mention of his SIGNATURE ISSUE, the issue which he has been spending the majority of his time on lately? It’s almost as if he’s trying to hide his true positions from conservatives, or something. Funny that.

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Seems to be so. I don’t know what he really stands for. His speech today at CPAC didn’t inspire me at all. I already know what the problems are in this Country as others do. I didn’t hear any solution from him tho. Talk, talk, talk. Reminded me of Boehner, LOL

bluefox on March 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

94 million eligible voters didn’t bother to get off of the couch and go vote.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Thank God. Every year more “eligible” and “registered” voters will vote as voting becomes even easier. “Likely voters” have always trended more GOP than “Registered voters.” It’s going to get a lot worse.

How many people voted in the presidential election of 1800. There were a couple pretty stellar dudes running that year. You’ll notice that the quality of candidate was a wee bit stronger back when very few people voted.

happytobehere on March 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for the link, Schadenfreude. I scanned it, as suggested.

I’m familiar with some of the other comments this individual has posted. When willful ignorance and spite run to the bone like that it’s always most toxic to the person who engenders it. It dwells within them, and thereby does the most damage.

I believe that the individual knows these statements to be false, only wishing that they were true. It is class warfare waged by someone with no class.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Au convair mon fry cook, tax all rich people at 110% and problem solved.

See, I have all the good ideas.

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Does MSNBC know you’re here?

bluefox on March 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Palin is old news, so probably not.

Illinidiva on March 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

For you and the fish:

Gorgeous, gracious gifted Gov. Sarah Palin was, is, and ever shall be the populist princess & conservative queen of American politics. Deal with it, liberals.

bluefox on March 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I thought the whole speech was good but the last 3 minutes or so was outstanding..imho..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Governor Rick Perry gave a great CPAC speech today …

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Thanks! I had a phone call and missed it.

bluefox on March 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

See, I have all the good ideas.

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

LOL, “we”. That’s cute there.

ddrintn on March 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, I noticed that. The fish does that too, LOL

bluefox on March 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I thot that was curious also. Here I was waiting for him to announce that Illegal Immigration via his Amnesty plan was a done deal!!

bluefox on March 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Yeah, no shiite. I like Cruz better than Rubio. He is head and shoulders above Rubio.

Mirimichi on March 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Can’t wait for the Sarah Palin thread tomorrow.

Mirimichi on March 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Allen West had it right:

“Deeds, Not Words, Will Paint This Country Red.”
“The night is gone. The day is at hand.”

In other words, the time to stop collecting splinters is NOW. The time to get involved is at hand!

If not you, who?

DannoJyd on March 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Can’t wait for the Sarah Palin thread tomorrow.

Mirimichi on March 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Saturday ★

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

There is no tax increase in the world that will solve our long term debt..was an excellent point made by Rubio..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Nice blog post Erika..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

happytobehere on March 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

You’ll have to draw a definitive parallel, based on evidence, between the quality of any candidate and the number of voters in any given election if you wish to make your case.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I can’t. I’m simply postulating that a large number of people do not and never have given much consideration to “freedom” and would much rather, given the choice, to have free stuff.

There is ample evidence that “Likely Voters” trend more conservative than “Registered voters”. I think the future is very bad for the GOP and this has very little to do with messaging or policies. Simply put, more registered voters will vote every year and less “likely voters” will be a percentage of the total vote.

An important consideration is “ease” of voting. If most voting is done on little iPads and phones in 4 years (which I imagine it will be) we could be in for a complete cataclysm for the GOP. One should not underestimate the stupidity of huge swaths of the electorate: people who can’t find a polling booth, but will happily vote for whichever Dem candidate gets trotted out while some Dem operative hands them an iPad with a big blue button to press to cast their vote for Obama II.

happytobehere on March 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

What is sad that so many fail to understand that point anymore than they understand the Democrat Party will NEVER STOP pushing tax increases on ALL Americans for as long as they are allowed to do so.

Finally, as long as MOST American people refuse to get involved in grass roots efforts, the democrats will keep Americans broke and stupid. How many people will be needed to tell the truth to the 0bamaGandized Americans? That number represents the number needed to defeat these communists.

DannoJyd on March 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Wow, that’s just about all the various Romneybot denial points in one post!

Your most absurd ‘fact’ is about all the people who didn’t bother to go vote…which is because the GOP candidate stank and they couldn’t comprehend a 3rd-party vote.

That last part is not exclusive to conservatives, BTW.

MelonCollie on March 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

DannoJyd on March 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on March 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

happytobehere on March 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I support the right of every eligible voter to cast their ballot for the candidate of their choice in a fair and well ordered election.

If the GOP, or any party or entity, can’t convince a majority of the voters to cast their ballot for them or their candidate in a fair and well ordered election, they deserve to lose because they failed to persuade the electorate that their position and policies are the best ones for the nation, and that ‘the nation’ includes each and every citizen and legal immigrant residing therein.

While I have issues with electoral college system, and I would like to see stringent ID rules, and oversight set up to be certain that each vote cast is by an eligible voter, and that our elections are clean and fair, I have no qualms in supporting the right of every eligible American voter to cast their ballot for the candidate of their choice.

thatsafactjack on March 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM