Ed Schultz: I couldn’t be more excited to be exiled to weekend Siberia on MSNBC

posted at 12:41 pm on March 14, 2013 by Allahpundit

Credit where it’s due: Rarely will you see a crap sandwich devoured with the sort of gusto displayed in the video below. If prior media reports are accurate, this is not a guy who’s reacted well in the past to seeing his profile at MSNBC lowered. Last November, when the whispering began that he’d soon be replaced, he handled it … predictably. And yet there he was last night, practically ready to high-five the cameraman over his banishment to the Island of “Lockup” Re-Runs. If he’s feeling bold, he should end tonight’s show with the clip of Ian Faith talking about Spinal Tap’s appeal becoming “more selective.” Have fun with it!

“Schultz was pushed out to make way for new talent,” according to Politico’s sources at MSNBC. Why would they do that when his ratings weren’t terrible? HuffPo spies the building of a brand:

The change may be one of tone rather than numbers. Schultz’s ratings have been solid — he was the second-highest-rated host on the network in February — but his barnstorming, Midwestern, labor-friendly brand of populist liberalism has come to look more and more at odds with the increasingly elite and wonkish tone taking hold on the rest of MSNBC. The network has spent its last year grooming hosts like Chris Hayes, Melissa Harris-Perry and Ezra Klein, all of whom bring a far different approach to their work than Schultz.

Yeah, his show always felt more like an exercise in ideological box-checking by MSNBC (“we’ve got to have someone whose focus is labor”) than something the network was fully behind. They can spread the union talking points among the rest of the line-up; if they want to be the network of young liberal self-styled intellectuals then big Ed’s not their guy in the heart of primetime. Chris Hayes is. For what it’s worth, I find Hayes’s weekend show surprisingly watchable. That’s not a defense of his politics, which are sufficiently left-wing to produce chin-pulling over whether Hugo Chavez was as bad as conservatives say and whether we should call fallen soldiers “heroes.” But the format of his show is engaging even when the guests are liberal. It’s a panel of four for a full hour (or was, the last time I watched it) devoted to exploring different facets of a single topic, so the talking points run out quickly. After years of enduring the typical cable format of one pundit each from the left and right doing their shpiel for five minutes followed by a commercial and then two new pundits doing their own shpiels for five minutes on a different topic, it’s something different. And as Bill Murray said in “Groundhog Day,” “Different is good.” The punchline is, now that Hayes is in primetime, there’ll be pressure on him from MSNBC to change the format so that he’s covering the day’s news rather than tackling a specific topic, which means he’ll probably end up resorting to the same-old-same-old cable format too. Oh well.

I wonder when they’ll finally dump Chris Matthews for Ezra Klein. Tick tock.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Will anyone notice the difference? All they ever do is shuffle the white people around over at NBC. I imagine watching NBC would not be unlike watching a Klan meeting.

besser tot als rot on March 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I could see this stuffed fanatic dressing up like Hermann Goering, and prancing around his bedroom saying … Heil Obama.

Utterly contemptible, just like his man-deity Fuhrer.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

he was the second-highest-rated host on the network in February

It’s cold in February. No one goes out in February once they get home from work. Being second highest rated on a network no one watches is like being the runner up in the Miss Misfit Island toy pageant.

Baseball starts in April. People are going to be at the ballpark during the 5-7 pm slot on weekends.

rbj on March 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Rachel Maddow is supposed to an intellectual also but she played Marco Rubio sipping water on a continous loop. I think Hayes will be another Maddow.

terryannonline on March 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Spittle-flecked screeching loon can’t generate an audience, even among the lefty tools who watch MSNBC.

novaculus on March 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I want to get out with the people…and spend more time with my family.

HakerA on March 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Are we sure Ed didn’t accept a recurring role on “American Hoggers” as one of the prey?

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

“Schultz was pushed out to make way for new talent,”

As if he was “old talent” or “any kind of talent…whatsoever.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

This will give Eddie more time for therapy.
We wish him well.

pat on March 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

A true Pee Wee Herman “I meant to do that” moment.

Go ED!!

BigWyo on March 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well, Schultz is one of last remaining MSNBC hacks whose gender is not a mystery – so, of course he doesn’t fit the “new tone” of the network. Those with an indeterminate gender, such as Touré, Maddow and Hayes are truly the future of the MSNBC freak-show.

Pork-Chop on March 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I couldn’t be happier for Mr. Ed. I’d even be happier if he was off the tv and radio all together. Let’s hope he is on at 3:30 am in the same time slot as Three Stooges reruns. That could really hurt his ratings.

iamsaved on March 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

LMAO!!

Can someone please put this Bowling ball with teeth out of
it’s misery??

ToddPA on March 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

So much for being “rewarded” for “leaning forward” and toeing the liberal line.

GarandFan on March 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I would think that all those prison documentaries that they repeat ad nasuem on weekends would have higher ratings than Eddy.

Blake on March 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Ed’s being removed to make way for the new MSNBC
“Dolls with Balls” week night lineup.

ToddPA on March 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Another non-event on the “Who gives a sh*t channel”.

50sGuy on March 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Ed needs more time to hit the big labor speaker circuit. What a clown.

He probably makes more money speaking and rallying unions then he made at PMSNBC, anyway.

Captain Kirock on March 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

That vid is pretty comical.

“I raised my hand to be sent off to weekend tv hell…”

Yeah, sure you did, and the excuse that the network is “expanding” their weekend coverage is a joke. Seriously, Saturday night at 1900 people in general will be tuning in the Ed Show, much less 20-somethings? ROFL

Bishop on March 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I though Hayes was Maddow’s body double. There is alot of young and dumb hosts on msnbc which I guess is the market they are chasing.

Ellis on March 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Replaced by a Maddow clone, hahahahahahaha

OxyCon on March 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I’m going to let all of you know, right here and now -

I will NOT tolerate any insults directed at Mr. Maddow!

OhEssYouCowboys on March 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

And to be replaced by Maddow’s twin sister has to smart.

Chuck Schick on March 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Guess that MSDNC was running out of prison documentaries to fill the time.

NavyMustang on March 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I’m going to let all of you know, right here and now -

I will NOT tolerate any insults directed at Mr. Maddow!

OhEssYouCowboys on March 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I promise not to insult he, she or it!

50sGuy on March 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I wish they’d stop replacing these knuckleheads…they provide endless sh*ts and giggles entertainment better than any comedy on TV.

JetBoy on March 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Ed and Chris are the only two spouters at MSNBC that don’t share the eyeglasses that Olbermann left on the set the final time that he stormed off.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

O.K., I know I’m going to be pilloried for this, but when I occasionally tuned into MSNBC for election commentary, when they had these roundtables with most of their on-air “talent”, Schultz was the only one I could find half-way bearable. Maddow is a smirk with eyeglasses; Matthews is insane; Ezra Klein has a purty mouth; Larry O’Donnell is a stentorian ass; and Chris Hayes is the worst, a smug, smarmy, oily little tool for whom the term “ass-wipe” seems to have been invented. Schultz occasionally made sense, and seemed to have a decent grasp of the political process. I don’t watch his show, and could care less what happens to him, but I can think of better candidates for purgatory than him on that network.

Mr. Arkadin on March 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Every time I see “intellectual”…I read “psuedo intellectual”…or “self proclaimed intellectual”…or “Prog”.

d1carter on March 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Chris Matthews is out shopping for black-rimmed hipster glasses as we speak. Setting up an appointment at the unisex hair salon too.

forest on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I remember when Special Ed first came on the scene. They were touting him as a liberal Rush Limbaugh but it became clear very quickly that he didn’t have enough intellectual juice to power a night light.

Happy Nomad on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

JetBoy on March 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

LOL..agreed!

d1carter on March 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

forest on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

And trying to figure out what a mani/pedi is.

Happy Nomad on March 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Chris Matthews will only go away kicking and screaming. Get your popcorn ready for when that finally happens.

cdog0613 on March 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

The only time I was going to watch his show the popcorn bag I put in the microwave didn’t pop one kernal.

docflash on March 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I don’t support 99.9% of what Chris Hayes says/supports, but I will say I think he is pretty intellectually honest. I’ve watched him do interviews with conservatives and moderate panels with conservative voices among the participants and I find him to be bright, fair, and pleasant. Ed Schultz, on the other hand, is an obnoxious bottom-feeder with no apparent redeeming values — glad to see him go.

If an Ed Schultz broadcasts on a Saturday night, does it make a sound?

dpduq on March 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

again, why would anyone care about this TV turd?

FlaMurph on March 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Who in the blessed HANG is this “Ed Schultz”, everyone keeps talking about?

Why does he deserve a thread?

listens2glenn on March 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

He’s not northeast enough for the uppity lib types at MSNBC.

Moesart on March 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

MSNBC imagines there is a vast untapped reservoir of viewership sitting on the faculties of college and university anthropology departments.

MTF on March 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Chris Matthews will only go away kicking and screaming WHILE WEARING A STRAIGHTJACKET. Get your popcorn ready for when that finally happens.

cdog0613 on March 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

FIFY

Resist We Much on March 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

AP’s snark is always great. Last night’s caption “Pope ‘n Change”…

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Who cares? They don’t call his Special Ed for nothing.

StevC on March 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Does this mean Ed is going to do his show from a cell in some oddball penal facility?

I might actually watch that one time.

Freddy on March 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM

He’s going to be competing with the godzilla, rodon, speed racer and ultra man reruns. It’s going to be nip and tuck on who comes out ahead.

acyl72 on March 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

he was the second-highest-rated host on the network in February

…he was the second best train wreck to watch!

KOOLAID2 on March 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

couldn’t have happened to a better person.
Good Bye….

mmcnamer1 on March 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Aaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Next to ‘Lock Up’ episodes . . .

Aaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

He’s such a buffoon. I laugh, I tell you, I laugh.

Conservchik on March 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I think it’s a big mistake, which is saying something considering how awful Schultz and co already are. MSDNC is already a target for ridicule, even among the more honest lefties. Turning the entire network into White Douche Hipster Land will only make that worse. They’ll also, I imagine, alienate all sorts of age groups and viewer types for largely a niche audience that doesn’t watch much cable news other than through John Stewart.

Also, say what you will about Sgt. Schultz the windbag, but he was at least easily the more honest of the MSLSD crew. He was possibly the only host on that network with any common sense regarding Weinergate, and when Obama betrayed the hard left on universal care for ObamaCare, he bucked the network line and fought against it for a time (on-air quote: “Am I the only rat still on this ship??”)

smiley on March 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Next job for Chrissy McWetpants . . . buttboy to Obama. Can I have more please? Ahahahahahahahaha

Conservchik on March 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Schultz: “I could’t be more excited to bend over and grab my ankles, except I’m too fat to do so. I’ll just bend over this waist high table.”

BuckeyeSam on March 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha

How’s that crap sandwich taste, fatboy.

To paraphrase Animal House (since it’s so appropriate being MSLSD and all)

Flounder, you shouldn’t go through life fat, drunk, and stupid

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on March 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

If nothing else, Special Ed is always good for a laugh. At what point does it look completely ridiculous to pretend that a demotion is a step up? I think Ed just passed that point and then some!

MDLibertyLover on March 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Special Ed is so full of crap now I’m surprised he had room for the sandwich.

Klem Kadiddlehopper on March 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM