Video: The obligatory Bushwhackin’ Boogie flash mob salute to Bush 41

posted at 9:21 am on March 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

You know that we simply cannot let this one pass without a comment and a smile.  Via Twitchy, CBS happened to be on hand — and apparently in on the secret — when George H. W. Bush paid a visit to Texas A&M to see the school named after him.  Believing this to be a normal reception, the students at College Station demonstrated to the initially-bewildered former President what a flash mob does … at least in Texas.  As his granddaughter Jenna leaned in to explain it, the crowd began doing a dance number to “Boot-Scootin’ Boogie,” but with special lyrics for the occasion.

C’mon … click it. You know you can’t resist:

Organized by Flash Mob America, the three-minute performance was a classic nod to country: A spirited “yeehaw!” kicked off the ordeal, followed by knee-slapping and mime-lassoing. Students and the dean rewrote the lyrics for the chorus to say, “the Bushwhacker Boogie,” a shout-out to the school body’s nickname.

The idea to honor the 41st president with a flash mob was a request from Bush’s team, according to Casi Buch, a Bush School student who last fall was an academic liaison for the international affairs program and took the lead in coordinating the effort.

“President Bush visits the school at least four times a year,” Buch told CBS News. “He’d never seen a flash mob before, so his administration thought it would be a unique way to honor the president.”

With the goal to make the dance exclusively students of the Bush School, an email went out to the student population two weeks before the big show asking for participants. Three rehearsals – and a week of work with a Nashville country music artist to re-record the tailored lyrics – later, the mob was ready to dance.

Afterward, Buch said, Bush met with the performers, as well as alumni and faculty in attendance.

“He said he loved it,” she said. “He loved the lyrics. He wanted an encore. One of the Flash Mob America cameras was just on him the whole time, and it was so great to watch his reaction. He kept moving his scooter closer and closer.”

That’s a great way to start out the day, and a fine way to honor a fine American.

Comments

I like this.

bluegill on March 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

That’s some sweet action.

Imrahil on March 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I saw the word “boogie” in the title, and was
hoping to hear Led Zeppelin’s “Boogie with Stu”
in the background….

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Hey Mr. President, “Read my hips!”

Deano1952 on March 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

ctmom on March 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Hey Mr. President, “Read my hips!”

Deano1952 on March 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

… you beat me!

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Class act and no ugly dem women.

docflash on March 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

No Harlem Shake, yes!

rbj on March 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Not to be too much of a downer but what kind of a former President do you suppose the rat-eared wonder will be? If his successor has any sense they’d find some foreign meaningless diplomatic post overseas to ship the bastard off so that he isn’t constantly armchair presidentin’. Perhaps the Ambassador for slow jamming in Antarctica.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

He’s on tap to be the new King of Hawai’i. Did you know that ancient Hawaiian Royal family members ate dogs?

Del Dolemonte on March 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I’m reminded of Saturday nights at Silverwings. Anybody know if it’s still there? Ptarmigans seemed to be the big draw when one of my kids went to A&M.

Having had the pleasure of sending one to UT and another to A&M I can say from a parents perspective the Aggies appreciate you and the Longhorns hold you in disdain.

DanMan on March 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Perhaps the Ambassador for slow jamming in Antarctica.

DJ Screw…RIP

DanMan on March 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Nice. Needed something to look at that didn’t require a dose of brain bleach after.

tru2tx on March 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Gig’em!

westaustin on March 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

That was an up. HW seems a bit befuddled though.

onlineanalyst on March 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Gotta tell you, I signed up for a Line Dancing class because a neighbor wanted to learn but didn’t want to go by herself, and it is SOOO much fun. Caution though, classes lead to expensive cowboy boot purchases, lol.

Yeah, heel, toe, dosido, come on baby let’s go boot scootin’…

Fallon on March 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

As president, he ranked as “OK, I guess,” but the rest of his life is pure 100% class.
Glad to see him honored so.

itsnotaboutme on March 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Aggies. Class. Yep.

chigger76 on March 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Ok so that choked me up! Nice! Really, really nice!

scalleywag on March 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Glad to see him honored so.

itsnotaboutme on March 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

To be fair, as President he had a really tough act to follow.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I blame Bush!

Shy Guy on March 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Watching this I had a wave of emotion going through me–the youth of this country are not all ignorant, brainwashed, gimme-gimme hooligans. There is hope for America!

NOMOBO on March 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

That was an up. HW seems a bit befuddled though.

onlineanalyst on March 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I’d be befuddled too and GHB is old enough to be my grandfather. I get that it’s supposed to be a nice thing for him and to be sure he’s thankful for the “respect”, but I’ve never got the whole interest in line dancing nor flash mobs. I’d be the guy on the side doing a facepalm feeling embarrassed for everyone else. Whether a group is line/form dancing in a video or in a bar, I find it silly.

Yeah, I’m an old recalcitrant curmudgeon. What’s your point?

Logus on March 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Anything that honors this fine gentleman is worth the effort. well done!

DAT60A3 on March 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Aggies. Class. Yep.

chigger76 on March 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM

To be politically correct, the cannot be called Aggies. They are Agro-Americans.

DAT60A3 on March 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Well done…a bit of good old fashioned all American fun!

lynncgb on March 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM

DAT60A3 on March 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

There are kids today, college age, who cannot remember when we had Presidents who actually served this Nation, loved this Nation, and about whom this Nation is forever grateful and proud.

Wish we had more.

coldwarrior on March 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

class act, good fun…now back to no class and no fun…

RedInMD on March 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I don’t remember Silverwings, but I do remember the Hall of Fame (country nightclub) from my days at A&M (early 80s). Loved that school and my time there, and it’s great to see them honoring GWHB. Really nice to see Barbara Bush and her pearls too!

Mayday on March 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Excellent tribute to President Bush. He did seem bewildered at first though. Well done, kids!

simkeith on March 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Navy fighter pilot having his aircraft shotout from under him by skilled Imperial Navy pilots while he was just beyond his teenage years. He started serving his Country early and was a selfless humble public servant.
Compare Bush41 to King Putt, Prezzie Choombro 2X Downgrade, who at this time in life was chooming Hawaiian pot and snorting coke.

Nice video … no ugly Gimmedat Hags spoiling the imagery.

Missilengr on March 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

And THIS is why I identify myself as a Texan first American second. Dayam, Texas ROCKS! A great tribute to a great man.

neyney on March 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

“Is this real life?”

Prufrock on March 14, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Can’t wait to see the flash “mob” rap for B.O. in a few years. It’ll be a “riot”.

Clink on March 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

There is one on the South Side of Chicago every night. But if you want to see it, pack your Kevlar.

BigAnge on March 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM