Too dumb to check. NAACP chief’s gaffe at Gridiron dinner

posted at 8:01 am on March 13, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Is it true? I have no idea. But it showed up in the pages of the Washington Post, so It must be … okay. Poor rationale, but still…

Ben Jealous, president of the NAACP, attended the annual Gridiron charity dinner this year and allegedly ran into a bit of an awkward situation. Still feeling a bit of resentment over the recent arguments given at the Supreme Court over challenges to the Voting Rights Act, Ben apparently thought that he’s found a sympathetic ear with another guest at the event.

The distinguished-looking gentleman told Jealous he thought the NAACP Legal Defense Fund lawyer had done a fine job arguing that the law needed to be continued.

Sure, but what happened to the solicitor general? Jealous wondered aloud, he was just awful.

Well, I am the solicitor general, Donald Verrilli Jr. replied.

An apparently mortified Jealous apologized profusely and excused himself from the table for what seemed to folks at the table an awfully long time, returning just about when the famous Gridiron petits fours arrived with coffee.

Wapo insists that they have two separate witnesses to the encounter and that they claim that Jealous returned some time later and continued his string of apologies to Donald Verrilli Jr. It’s hard to imagine how uncomfortable the entree and dessert must have been after that little exchange. But, again… did it happen? Jealous is insisting it didn’t.

We heard this story from two separate witnesses who overheard every word of the only-in-Washington conversation. Jealous, however, doesn’t remember it that way. “It didn’t happen,” an NAACP spokesman tells the Loop.

Still, there’s a moral to the story: In Washington, always know to whom you’re speaking. (And who’s within earshot.)

You be the judge. But either way, I just thought I’d start your morning with one of those perfectly awful moments which characterize the minefield life inside the Beltway. Of course, I’d have paid extra to have been at the table.

Comments

Kanye West sounds like he’d be overqualified to be President of the NAACP.

Long live the Democrat Plantation!!!

PappyD61 on March 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM

They all look alike to Ben.

Stu Gotts on March 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Is that picture Ben Jealous? Is he black?

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

It’s not like Donald Verilli is well-known (ObamaCare fumbling!!!!!).

///////////////////////////

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Is that picture Ben Jealous? Is he black?

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

No, that’s Vince Vaughn :P

thebrokenrattle on March 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Don’t you actually have to be black to be president of the NAACP?

sartana on March 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Don’t you actually have to be black to be president of the NAACP?

sartana on March 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Appearently not. They just have to be an ahole of the Left, but I repeat myself.

Thomas More on March 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Is that picture Ben Jealous? Is he black?

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Don’t you actually have to be black to be president of the NAACP?

sartana on March 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Did the NAACP suddenly become the National Association for the Advancement of Cracker People?

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

been jealous..

Seriously?

Electrongod on March 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

This is why you need to know your audience, especially at a high-profile event like the Gridiron dinner. You just never know who you’re talking to.

Of course, politico reports today that, at the same event, Obama told Representative McCarthy that Republicans needed the rat-eared wonder’s support if they were going to get entitlement reform (so much for the charm offensive).

To quote the article- [as McCarthy]walked away, the congressman thought: “He’s still a law professor. He’d rather lecture you and put a red mark on your paper than talk to you.”

All in all it sounds as if the left managed to suck all the fun out of what has traditionally been a non-partisan event. This was the dinner where Nancy Reagan, responding to critics of her “lavish spending” on White House china showed up in costume and sang a parody of the tune Second Hand Rose.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

NAACP

I have a question.

WHY is this organization still in existence??

Do this Nation’s Laws not apply to ALL people??

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Do this Nation’s Laws not apply to ALL people??

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

“A mind is a terrible thing to waste.”

The founders forgot to add it to the Bill of Rights..

Electrongod on March 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Do this Nation’s Laws not apply to ALL people??

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

They do. The question is to what degree and for whom.

Liam on March 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM

“It didn’t happen,” an NAACP spokesman tells the Loop.

Leftist lie…especially cowardly leftists. Man up, boy. Don’t be such a coward.

MNHawk on March 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Do this Nation’s Laws not apply to ALL people??

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

They do. The question is to what degree and for whom.

Liam on March 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM

The NAACP ranks right up there with the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group. In their world the nation is still living with segregation, jim crow laws, and blatant discrimination. This despite having a black President who owes all that he is to affirmative action quotas and the soft oppression of lower standards for minorities.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

This despite having a black President who owes all that he is to affirmative action quotas…

The Left will call that racist, the same way they call opposition to AA racist.

…and the soft oppression of lower standards for minorities.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

What, you hate white folk, too? :-)

Liam on March 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

“It didn’t happen,” an NAACP spokesman tells the Loop, hoping to send that down the memory hole once and for all.

Fixed.

Odysseus on March 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

The NAACP has been in existence for 104 years. So why haven’t Colored People advanced? They still have the highest out-of-wedlock birth rate, highest truancy/dropout rate, highest incarceration and unemployment rate. They oppose gay marriage in record numbers because they support a traditional family structure, but they are themselves the least likely to have a traditional family structure. Why isn’t the NAACP addressing al of that?

After all, when African Americans can now (illegally) vote SIX times each, I think the problem of voting rights has been licked.

And off topic, that guy’s whiter than I am, and I get an Irish Suntan walking to the mailbox.

Maddie on March 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

and the soft oppression of lower standards for minorities.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

What, you hate white folk, too? :-)

Liam on March 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Hey, I am an equal opportunity racist- I hate everybody!

Seriously though, there is no upside to holding one group to a lower standard simply because of their race. It discriminates against those of greater ability while providing opportunity to others for no better reason than they happen to be part of a protected group.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

OT: Funny local NAACP story here in Cincinnati.

This past fall, the local head of the NAACP chapter–who I’ve heard is actually conservative in almost every sense except the D after his name–accused the local county prosecutor of bias in his criminal prosecutions. He cited some data that, at a glance, certainly made it look as if prosecutions were racially slanted. Turns out, after further review of the data, the prosecutor pointed out that the NAACP head had cited data relating only to City of Cincinnati residents and prosecutions (pretty hefty number of black residents) rather than county residents and prosecutions. Using the correct data, the prosecutor was vindicated. The NAACP apologized.

Oh, the prosecutor decided not to throw the local NAACP its usual annual contribution from the annual haul from drug seisures and forfeitures.

Paybacks are a b*tch.

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Agreed, but it’s a money-maker for the race hustlers. NAACP is outmoded and outdated. After all, who is allowed to use the term ‘colored’ any more?

Liam on March 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Yes, guys, Ben Jealous is black…or, to be exact, he is bi-racial. I recall hearing stories around the time that he was elected to his post at the NAACP that many in the organisation were unhappy because he wasn’t “authentically black” or whatever.

Resist We Much on March 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Maddie on March 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

THIS. (including the Irish suntan part-lol!)

chelie on March 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

All these comments just show the inherent racism of all your Hot Air bloggers. I mean, just because someone does not look black, does NOT mean they aren’t! For gosh’s sake, get with the PROGRAM!

/heavy, heavy sarc off

I worked with a woman who was as white as me (and I’m pretty darn white with my Irish skin), and she informed me one day that she was black. I just moved away slowly and made a point of dealing with her as little as possible. Wait, that must make me a RACIST!

NavyMustang on March 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

and I’m pretty darn white with my Irish skin

NavyMustang on March 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Shouldn’t it be green?

Shy Guy on March 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Don’t you actually have to be black to be president of the NAACP?

sartana on March 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Actually, the first few presidents of the NAACP were white people. No joke.

J.S.K. on March 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

ROFL

I once criticized a certain bike at a Sturgis display, didn’t like the seat to bars arrangement, and it turns out the polite stranger quaffing a brew that I was chatting with was not only the bike designer but someone I had been hoping to talk to about a new ride.

He shot me in the chest with a .44 soon after.

Bishop on March 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Is Ben black enough? Well, according to the US Census, since 2000 race has nothing to do with, you know, birth or DNA or genealogy. It’s self-identified. In our brave, new progressive world, well, you can be anything you want to be. Literally.

av8tr on March 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Too dumb to check.

That phrase, that phrase… Hmmm. The “soft bigotry of low expectations” seems to keep popping in my head.

Fallon on March 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Shouldn’t it be green?

Shy Guy on March 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Sure now, it probably will be the day after Saint Patty’s Day.

RACIST!

NavyMustang on March 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

NAACP

I have a question.

WHY is this organization still in existence??

Do this Nation’s Laws not apply to ALL people??

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

…there are still Slaves…just a different form now…

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Maddie on March 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Actually, the NAACP did a lot of good work in those first years. It helped a couple of generations of folk lift themselves up. All those modern pathologies of the “black community” were not much more in evidence there than in any other community. But, then, they hitched their wagon to the Great Society and downhill it all went, again.

Hey, I am an equal opportunity racist- I hate everybody!

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

The right response is “I’m not a racist, I’m a misanthrope!” ;) (Make ‘em look it up!)

GWB on March 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM

A word we never hear any more from these race baiters is reparations. Well now, they have their black prez who has effectively added more folks to the dem plantation using his form of reparations. We have more folk on welfare than ever. Hey benny, shut up and go away, you and yours are getting your pound of flesh….Somewhere jeremiah wright is smiling all the way to the bank and saying that barrack sure learnt well……..

crosshugger on March 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Is that picture Ben Jealous? Is he black?

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Don’t you actually have to be black to be president of the NAACP?

sartana on March 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

He’s black like Warren is an American Indian. Must be a good gig.

slickwillie2001 on March 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

NavyMustang on March 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

We’re all black because we all descended from the same African woman who lived 600,000 years ago. ‘Cuz we’re not going down the road of having to count drops of “blackness” blood are we?

Nutstuyu on March 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Black? No, colored, whatever that is.

StevC on March 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Nutstuyu on March 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

ROTFLOL. Please don’t tell me you’re another one of those people who subscribes to the nonsense that Adam had to be black.

MelonCollie on March 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Nutstuyu on March 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Roger that. Next application to the government, I’m checking off the African American block!

NavyMustang on March 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

The awkward first meeting of Ben Jealous and Ron White.

Ron,”Hi, I’m White. Are you Jealous?”

Ufdaubet on March 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Is that picture Ben Jealous? Is he black?

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

He looks like a Jewish guy named Marty who schleps stereo systems in the mall.

Funny how that works … the whiter you look, the angrier you have to be when you declare your “blackness”. And Ben looks really, really white…

Jaibones on March 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Nutstuyu on March 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Sorry…not buyin’ it. Though it does make for a cute politically correct story.
And it keeps the grant money rollin’ in.

Solaratov on March 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

NavyMustang on March 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Nutstuyu on March 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

An HR lawyer at work once let me know that anyone can claim to be Black on employment applications and HR files, and it can’t be questioned.

In the REB-economy, every little bit helps.

slickwillie2001 on March 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

This group is still relevant?
Try calling any of them “colored people” and see….

dentarthurdent on March 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

In the REB-economy, every little bit helps.

slickwillie2001 on March 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I’ve got an American Indian ancestor from the 1700s, and my grandfather and great grandfather had much higher cheekbones than Senator Fauxcahontas, so I should start claiming I’m “Native American”. Shoot – I’ve probably got more actual Indian blood than that pasty white blond Fauxcahontas anyway.

dentarthurdent on March 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The Man made me say it. This is just another vestige of racism.

- Ben Jealous

OhEssYouCowboys on March 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

In the REB-economy, every little bit helps.

slickwillie2001 on March 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Oldest son thought it would be funny to check Asian on every pre-college test and form. I wasn’t the wiser until he started getting invited to multiple minority student gatherings… I never knew he would have admissions departments at the various universities crawling all over themselves to cater to him. Oldest daughter had even higher test scores and *yawn* was the response from the state universities. He never got in trouble for it, nor did he actually try to get scholarships based on minority status. He’s a 6’4″ Irish looking dude.

Fallon on March 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Is hotair a gossip site now?

hatespam on March 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Jesus Christ, this clown is whiter than me!

Where the hell is Kweezy ‘n’ Fooey when you need him?

Lanceman on March 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM