Smoke watch: Day 2 afternoon; Update: White Smoke!

posted at 1:31 pm on March 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

(VATICAN CITY) The cardinals have returned to the Sistine Chapel for two more votes after lunch, and after an unusual press briefing from La Sala Stampa.  The Vatican moved the briefing for the first time to the center in which I’ve been working for the last few days, and apparently will keep the 1 pm conference in this location.

This time, however, they got asked a question about Cardinal Roger Mahony’s participation, which produced a brusque response.  A reporter asked a lengthy question in Italian about the retired Archbishop of Los Angeles and his role in the conclave in light of accusations from SNAP over his role in covering up abuse in his diocese, a question that (like the others) didn’t get translated to the rest of the press.  Father Federico Lombardi, visibly annoyed, gave a shorter answer, which Father Thomas Rosica paraphrased into an even shorter answer in English.  “We are well aware of SNAP and its activities,” Rosica said, and told the media that SNAP was using the conclave to “amplify” accusations against Mahony and others.  The men in question reflected on those accusations and decided to attend, and Rosica finished by saying that the Vatican respected those cardinals and the decisions they made.  I doubt this will be the last time the media asks about this, however.

Otherwise, it was a more relaxed and friendly briefing.  All three priests gave their personal reflections about participating in the procession yesterday, and offered a few jokes to lighten the mood before and after the Mahoney question.  They reported getting a number of calls yesterday after the prodigious amount of smoke from the first ballot last night, and wanted to assure everyone that the Sistine Chapel was still in good condition and that none of the cardinals had any medical issues with the smoke.  They began to explain the chemical composition of the canisters which produce the colored smoke, but advised reporters to wait to read the ingredients in a press release.  “I don’t study this stuff,” Rosica explained with a laugh, “I study the Bible.”

One other point became more firm, too, which I have confirmed with one of the media.  The installation Mass for the new Pope will not take place until next week at the earliest — even if this afternoon produces a new Pope.  He may or may not do the Angelus as traditional on Sunday, but he won’t celebrate the Mass.

For now, we are about 90 minutes or so into the afternoon session.  If the first ballot produces a Pope, then we will see white smoke immediately.  If not, we’ll have to wait for the result of the second ballot for either black or white smoke, and that could be as late as 7 pm Rome time, 90 minutes from now.  The morning smoke was about an hour early, though, so they may wrap up early tonight even if no consensus has been reached.

In the meantime, here’s an interview I conducted earlier today with Kim Daniels of Catholic Voices USA, talking about the need to offer a positive outreach to Catholics and non-Catholics alike, and how the conclave offers a great opportunity to do so.

I’ll update this post either way depending on the outcome of the ballot.  Stay tuned.

Update: There has been a pigeon sitting on top of the chimney for the last 20 minutes or so.  If it was a dove, I’d call it a sign.  If the chimney fires up, it might just be … squab.

Update II: Actually, a friend I made from Ireland tells me it’s a gull, not a pigeon.  Not sure how smoked gull tastes, but we can certainly give it a try.

Update III: White Smoke! And the bells are ringing in St. Peter’s Square.  That’s confirmation!!

Update IV: I ran out to St. Peter’s Square with just my camera and no other equipment.  I’ll post some video shortly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dear gawd, the anti-Catholics are swarming here today…

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

VegasRick on March 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I know, my friend.But, as in any denomination, there are those who think that you can go contrary to God’s Word and still be a good Catholic or Protestant.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

So I’m not overly familiar with this process. There’s a new pope, when do we get to find out who it is?

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Any time now. They/he had to pray and then he has to get dressed in his new Pope duds. They say it could be up to an hour…from when the smoke showed white.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I heard Michelle is there to make the announcement.

stenwin77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Should be within the next 30 minutes.

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Awesome, thanks.

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Thank goodness they finally picked the guy. Maybe now we can quit with the 10 pope articles a day. The Christians and atheists surely outnumber the Catholics around here and we’re tired of all this pope crap. Let’s get back to important things like saving the US.

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Chris Matthews is already calling for the Pope to revisit Humane Vitae and accept contraception. SMH.

blammm on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I heard Michelle is there to make the announcement.

stenwin77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

LOL! Accompanied by Pelosi?

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

There is going to be some gnashing of teeth if a Conservative Pope was chosen.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

That’s how they know they got it right. If all the right people are upset. “By the wailing and gnashing of teeth shall ye know them.”

Or something like that.

Lily on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The pelosi’s and biden’s of the world will have their day of reconing.

VegasRick on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I heard Michelle is there to make the announcement.

stenwin77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

LOL! Accompanied by Pelosi?

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

roflmao–thanks Kingjester

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I’m consistently mystified by the frenzy around this event. Someone remind me why it matters …

cgoode777 on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

After Ratzinger was selected, then they say he was the frontrunner all along. Exactly what they’re saying right now about Scola, though there were no frontrunners, and nothing but “gridlock” this morning.

Gingotts on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Actually, in 2005, I was hoping it wouldn’t be Ratzinger because he was such a stickler for the rules. But he was a much better pope than I expected. Doctrinally, he toed the traditional line, but he was much more personable than I expected. He also had that brave moment near the beginning of his papacy when he made that left-handed criticism of Islam that made the Muslim world gibber in hysteria. That was fun.

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

As a non-Catholic, I tend to view the election of the absolute leader of the world’s largest religious body to be nevertheless pretty important.

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

getting closer….they are setting up for next event….naming the Pope and then the new Pope making a statement from the balcony.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I appreciate Benedict retiring. That should become a new precedent.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Bands! troops!

Starting to feel like a 4th of July parade.

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The Christians and atheists surely outnumber the Catholics around here

H’mmmmm I rather thought that Catholics WERE “Christians.” Who knew that they weren’t? Thanks for the news flash…..

As one fo the Editors IS Roman Catholic, I’d figure we’d get a lot of “Pope Articles”…it’s one of the perks of being Management

JFKY on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I heard Michelle is there to make the announcement.

stenwin77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

LOL. Has she been seen today?

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Yep.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

And here I never knew you were required…nay, forced… to click and comment on all these “pope articles”. If a particular article or post doesn’t interest you, move on.

Or better yet, go start your own blog and then you can control what’s in it.

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

exactly Luke….1.2B Catholics in the world

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I’m hoping for another Otho de Lagery.

VorDaj on March 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

They just need some Floats…wait….Popemobile!

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I heard Michelle is there to make the announcement.

stenwin77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Update IV: I ran out to St. Peter’s Square with just my camera and no other equipment. I’ll post some video shortly.

This is no time to run around like a sea gull with its head cut off! We are desperate for news here. You have been scooping everyone since this started. Don’t let us down now just when it is getting exciting!

Lily on March 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

BREAKING — It’s not Obama

J_Crater on March 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

When the Pope comes out, I’ll have no idea who it is unless its Dolan.

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I heard they chose a male pope this time!

libfreeordie on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Pope Vigorous I

commodore on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

What I don’t get is why it takes more than one vote, being Divinely guided and all. The Lord works in ever mysterious ways I guess.

DarkCurrent on March 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I think it takes time to discern the Voice of God from more temporal voices. Maybe also so there is a sense among the cardinals of a coming together so as to better support the new pope?

And from this non-Catholic, congratulations to all the Catholics out there.

Kevin K. on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Now that’s the kind of ecumenical spirit that uplifts us all!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The “prophecy” is a forgery, written 400 years after Malachy died.

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Okay, then it must be Greedo Sarducci, after all.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

At least there will be one less Empty Chair after today.

Chris of Rights on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

cgoode777 on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

You don’t. Go piss on somebody else’s parade.

VegasRick on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Congrats to all my HA friends. I know this is a big day for all of you.

gophergirl on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

What I wouldn’t give to be there…rain or no rain.

Ed’s witness to history here!

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Catholic friends – sorry in training and not paying attention :)

gophergirl on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

cgoode777 on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

1.2 billion Catholics worldwide. 20% of the planet.
80 million Catholics in America. 25% of our population.
2000 years of history.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I appreciate Benedict retiring. That should become a new precedent.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Unfortunately America’s Pharaoh, The Drone Master of the Universe, isn’t likely to follow suit, but maybe God could arrange for a little lightning.

VorDaj on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Same here. Even the militant athiests should at least pay some attention, because this is significant to just about any civilized nation.

MelonCollie on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

thanks GG and everyone else for their good thoughts about the Pope.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

VorDaj on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I would not at all be surprised if God dropped an asteroid square onto DC before every state was subjugated to utter wickedness.

MelonCollie on March 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

To the Popemobile! Let’s go!!

CurtZHP on March 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My God! Please let the new Pope show up soon. It would be an act of grace to all these stupid broadcasters.

I’m listening to ABC News radio coverage and they are just pathetic. Example: People are rushing to St. Peters from the seven CORNERS of Rome. Are those corners anywhere near the seven hills? Beyond that they don’t have anything to report on but the “pageantry” of it all and, surprise, the folks there at the Vatican are excited!

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I hope you remembered your pants.

VorDaj on March 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

When the next Lutheran Church Missouri Synod president is announced, I’ll be in St. Louis crying and cheering…I’ll be the only one there because he isn’t part of the Trinity, but still…

Hat Trick on March 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I heard they chose a male pope this time!

libfreeordie on March 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Just like Jesus and St. Peter!

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

“I ran out to St. Peter’s Square with just my camera and no other equipment. I’ll post some video shortly.”

Why, oh, why did you not take your HotAir Glasses so we could watch in real time?

Dusty on March 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

1.2 billion Catholics worldwide. 20% of the planet.
80 million Catholics in America. 25% of our population.
2000 years of history.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

This! Exactly right.

cicerone on March 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Hat Trick on March 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The pope isn’t part of the trinity lol

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

VorDaj on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That would be tragic. But I’ll keep it in prayer.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Picking the right Pope IS important to saving the US. For one Obamacare is making a direct assault upon the Catholic Church.

SPCOlympics on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

getting closer…..

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I appreciate Benedict retiring. That should become a new precedent.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

My thinking is that Benedict remembered all too well a certain amount of unavoidable confusion and disarray as JP II withered away, and decided he wasn’t going to do that to the Church. My husband wondered if Benedict has Alzheimer’s or some other form of old age dementia. Or it may be that Benedict realized he did not have the physical or mental strength to deal with whatever was in that secret report delivered to him not too long before he announced his retirement.

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Dear Leader: I could do that…

d1carter on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I appreciate Benedict retiring. That should become a new precedent.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

If only the senile incontinents in the Senate/House would be that humble…

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

BREAKING — It’s not Obama

J_Crater on March 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Michelle not proud of Rome. Said to be very disappointed in those old honkies running the Vatican.

VorDaj on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Did the Italians just stage a coup? Their army is in St. Peter’s Square and they’re singing what I think is the Italian national anthem.

blammm on March 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I’m also a Lutheran Church Missouri Synod member. My heart goes out to those in the Catholic faith and the new Pope on his new challenges.

Midwestprincesse on March 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

1.2 billion Catholics worldwide. 20% of the planet.
80 million Catholics in America. 25% of our population.
2000 years of history.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

95 Theses

Hat Trick on March 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

MelonCollie on March 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Militant atheists pay attention just so they know who to hate.

Popes, some to a greater extent than others, are world leaders. You don’t even have to be a Christian to recognize that this is a significant event. To quote noted Catholic theologin Joe Biden…. “This is a big f**king deal!”

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

If only the senile incontinents in the Senate/House would be that humble…

Benedict was only a Pope, Christ’s Vicar on Earth, McCain and Lugar are US Senators….so no they are too important to retire!

JFKY on March 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

cgoode777 on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

You have to be Catholic.

rickv404 on March 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Wasn’t the last Pope supposed to be the LAST Pope ever? The world was to end after that? Or … was it that THIS new Pope would be the last?

Is that prediction still valid or has it gone the way of the Mayan Apocalypse? In other words O.B.E. (overcome by events).

HondaV65 on March 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Ed, what song was the audience just singing?

I am not Catholic and find this to be fun and exciting as it unfolds!!

karenhasfreedom on March 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

The Christians and atheists surely outnumber the Catholics around here

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

We’re Christians, too, numbnuts. You live up to your name.

JimLennon on March 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

heard Michelle is there to make the announcement.

stenwin77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Of course, but before the big announcement there will be brief DNC video about how bark passed up the opportunity to be pontiff, how republicans caused the worldwide recession, how aborting a baby at 8 months and 3 weeks is a women’s right and how that pumping a man’s behind is a sign of love and caring and that anyone who were to read the bible differently is a bitter and gun clinging neanderthal redneck.

acyl72 on March 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

hatecraft on March 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Smells like a troll.

CurtZHP on March 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Poutine for everyone?

can_con on March 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

You’d be better off streaming EWTN on iHeartRadio (which I am) or search for a local Relevant Radio affiliate.

Myron Falwell on March 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Only if:
1) You are an idiot;
2) An atheist;
3) Both of the above.

“Only my Father knows the day and the hour.” But thank you for trying to be clever.

JFKY on March 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Some Vatican watchers have commented that he may have resigned to take down a lot of the corrupt Curia types with him.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Pope Allahpundit.

TXUS on March 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Why wouldn’t people if faith care about other traditions? I mean c’mon. Common sense people.

Midwestprincesse on March 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I was raised Catholic, an all the hype here brings it all back. I can almost smell the incense. I do find all the fuss a bit silly. It’s of course a momentous occasion, but little of it feels spiritual.
The gilded place vibe of the vatican along with media fawning…feels more like a royal family affair. And that’s what it should be least like. The shots of the giddy young nuns crowded together in the rain gives it a Beatlemania vibe. All and all….just weird.
As Mel Brooks might offer…it’s good to be da Pope.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Missy: I may have slightly overstated the case. Unlike in US law, ignorance of ‘The Law’ is, to some extent, mitigation for sin. It’s one reason that I actually caution people against casually joining the Catholic Church, as it comes with it certain expectations that you do know what is right, and therefore the ‘standard’ for being in sin would change.

My point regarding the Cardinals is that they have a _much_ higher standard than, say, the rest of us when it comes to discerning God’s will. I would argue that, at least for a Papal Conclave, that it would be nigh-impossible for a Cardinal to in good faith, as you say, confuse God’s will for their own. Before every vote, they even take an oath that they are guided by God’s will.

As I say, no one knows the disposition of any soul but God, but the relative standards are well known.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Midwestprincesse on March 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I’m not Catholic but I find this very interesting.

gophergirl on March 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

For some reason I just thought of my grandfather, who was raised Methodist but converted to Catholicism in order to marry my Catholic grandmother. After my confirmation, with our Bishop, he quipped: “That bishop has the life…he even has people to take his own big hat on and off for him.”

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I’m on EWTN now. There is just too much stupid going on with the MSM networks.

Gingotts on March 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Me too gophergirl.

Midwestprincesse on March 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM

95 Theses

Hat Trick on March 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

One baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM

It’s… the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Bat Chain Puller on March 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM

The world emerges from her state of Popelessness. Congrats, Catholics!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Fox has good coverage, with Megyn Kelly.

Midwestprincesse on March 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Stop being such a disrespectful Troll. Go away. Mom’s calling. Your Spaghettios are ready.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Honda: The prophecy of St. Malachy states that this Pope should be Petrus Romanus, and that is the last name on the list. What this means is at hotly contested as the implications of the end of the Mayan calendar.

There are, of course, certain issues with the prophecy, but the epithets that I know best (JPII’s and Benedict’s) fit quite well, if not the most obviously.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Maybe you don’t understand because you’re no longer Catholic? Maybe you’ve suppressed your capacity for the appreciation of things spiritual?

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Just heard Rand Paul is planning to mount a fillibuster.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

95 Theses

Hat Trick on March 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The leaders may be human, but the institution itself is based on a higher power.

Ironically, the church HAS managed to reform and make necessary updates after centuries of playing defense based on the Reformation.

Myron Falwell on March 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Midwestprincesse on March 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I think you don’t actually understand religious faith.

airmonkey on March 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Wow….Pope Jeremiah Wright.

Obama’s Bigot Mentor gets the nod due the threat from a drone strike.

sentinelrules on March 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM
steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You mean I no longer have blind faith?
Sure, fair to say that.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

He’s more than welcome to in the Senate chamber. That will still be better than anything else going on in there right now.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I didn’t know enough to have much of a predetermination what to make of him then, though I was glad that it was the “conservative.” I still remember the reaction of one of my professors at the time, who apparently wasn’t pleased. He took occasion to point out that Ratzinger was in the Hitler Youth… well… yeah, all children were forced as he well knew. No mention that he refused to attend meetings or fight for the Nazis.

I liked Benedict XVI very much, so I really hope they made another good choice this time around.

Gingotts on March 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Dear gawd, the anti-Catholics are swarming here today…

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

To be honest, the thread seems pretty tame so far. I clicked, expecting a total food-fight between Catholics, Protestants, and snarky atheists. I commend all parties for their unusual restraint.

*Steps back, raises umbrella*

stefanite on March 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Has a Pope ever done that…addressed congress?
If it’s Dolan…it’ll happen.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Just heard Rand Paul is planning to mount a fillibuster.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Also heard Lindsey Ghrahammnsety and John McCant are planning to reflexively decry Rand’s action.

Myron Falwell on March 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM