Smoke watch: Day 2 afternoon; Update: White Smoke!

posted at 1:31 pm on March 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

(VATICAN CITY) The cardinals have returned to the Sistine Chapel for two more votes after lunch, and after an unusual press briefing from La Sala Stampa.  The Vatican moved the briefing for the first time to the center in which I’ve been working for the last few days, and apparently will keep the 1 pm conference in this location.

This time, however, they got asked a question about Cardinal Roger Mahony’s participation, which produced a brusque response.  A reporter asked a lengthy question in Italian about the retired Archbishop of Los Angeles and his role in the conclave in light of accusations from SNAP over his role in covering up abuse in his diocese, a question that (like the others) didn’t get translated to the rest of the press.  Father Federico Lombardi, visibly annoyed, gave a shorter answer, which Father Thomas Rosica paraphrased into an even shorter answer in English.  “We are well aware of SNAP and its activities,” Rosica said, and told the media that SNAP was using the conclave to “amplify” accusations against Mahony and others.  The men in question reflected on those accusations and decided to attend, and Rosica finished by saying that the Vatican respected those cardinals and the decisions they made.  I doubt this will be the last time the media asks about this, however.

Otherwise, it was a more relaxed and friendly briefing.  All three priests gave their personal reflections about participating in the procession yesterday, and offered a few jokes to lighten the mood before and after the Mahoney question.  They reported getting a number of calls yesterday after the prodigious amount of smoke from the first ballot last night, and wanted to assure everyone that the Sistine Chapel was still in good condition and that none of the cardinals had any medical issues with the smoke.  They began to explain the chemical composition of the canisters which produce the colored smoke, but advised reporters to wait to read the ingredients in a press release.  “I don’t study this stuff,” Rosica explained with a laugh, “I study the Bible.”

One other point became more firm, too, which I have confirmed with one of the media.  The installation Mass for the new Pope will not take place until next week at the earliest — even if this afternoon produces a new Pope.  He may or may not do the Angelus as traditional on Sunday, but he won’t celebrate the Mass.

For now, we are about 90 minutes or so into the afternoon session.  If the first ballot produces a Pope, then we will see white smoke immediately.  If not, we’ll have to wait for the result of the second ballot for either black or white smoke, and that could be as late as 7 pm Rome time, 90 minutes from now.  The morning smoke was about an hour early, though, so they may wrap up early tonight even if no consensus has been reached.

In the meantime, here’s an interview I conducted earlier today with Kim Daniels of Catholic Voices USA, talking about the need to offer a positive outreach to Catholics and non-Catholics alike, and how the conclave offers a great opportunity to do so.

I’ll update this post either way depending on the outcome of the ballot.  Stay tuned.

Update: There has been a pigeon sitting on top of the chimney for the last 20 minutes or so.  If it was a dove, I’d call it a sign.  If the chimney fires up, it might just be … squab.

Update II: Actually, a friend I made from Ireland tells me it’s a gull, not a pigeon.  Not sure how smoked gull tastes, but we can certainly give it a try.

Update III: White Smoke! And the bells are ringing in St. Peter’s Square.  That’s confirmation!!

Update IV: I ran out to St. Peter’s Square with just my camera and no other equipment.  I’ll post some video shortly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Smoke them if you got them

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

They reported getting a number of calls yesterday after the prodigious amount of smoke from the first ballot last night, and wanted to assure everyone that the Sistine Chapel was still in good condition and that none of the cardinals had any medical issues with the smoke. They began to explain the chemical composition of the canisters which produce the colored smoke, but advised reporters to wait to read the ingredients in a press release. “I don’t study this stuff,” Rosica explained with a laugh, “I study the Bible.”

Enviro-whackos are not amused.

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

my response to that reporter would’ve been to take my shoe off and throw it at him…

RedInMD on March 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This time, however, they got asked a question about Cardinal Roger Mahoney’s participation, which produced a brusque response.

The problem with the Vatican’s position is that Rome fully knew that Mahoney was playing a game of hide the pedophile. That much came out years ago. The RCC is just going have to come to terms that there are certain aspects of their past that will be with them for some time.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Barry thought it meant something else…

Oil Can on March 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

“We are well aware of SNAP and its activities,” Rosica said, and told the media that SNAP was using the conclave to “amplify” accusations against Mahoney and others.

And that right there, folks, is the best proof there is that the Curia is in need of reform. They should be ashamed of Mahoney’s presence. Instead they close ranks and defend him…

Ed Snyder on March 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Ed thanks so much for taking on the Italy/Pope trip. Your updates are informative, the pictures and interview great and I’m loving reading your firsthand account of what is going on.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I hope Fox News has reassigned Shep Smith to another part of the world today…

d1carter on March 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My church is holding a special “Papal Conclave” Mass (an additional service) each day. They have had really good turn-out (full house – during the week!), this is an exciting time for Catholics (and good “marketing”, if you will, for the RCC). It’s good to see some renewed interest from partitioners that I haven’t seen in a while.

Pork-Chop on March 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It’s spelled Mahony, not Mahoney, Ed.

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I hope Fox News has reassigned Shep Smith to another part of the world today…

d1carter on March 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I’m sure the cops are chasing a car somewhere in the world.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM

“I don’t study this stuff,” Rosica explained with a laugh, “I study the Bible.”

Enviro-whackos are not amused.

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

No, earth-worshippers aren’t usually amused by someone having another god besides Gaia.

CurtZHP on March 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Barry thought it meant something else…

Oil Can on March 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Choom watch

LetsBfrank on March 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM

What I don’t get is why it takes more than one vote, being Divinely guided and all. The Lord works in ever mysterious ways I guess.

DarkCurrent on March 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Ed Snyder on March 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It is very sad. There are many humble Catholics who do good work. But it serves to remind: the Church is the body of Christ, not any particular human institution. A thing that people tend to forget when they are wrapped up in a day to day bureaucracy.

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Update: There has been a pigeon sitting on top of the chimney for the last 20 minutes or so. If it was a dove, I’d call it a sign. If the chimney fires up, it might just be … squab.

Update II: Actually, a friend I made from Ireland tells me it’s a gull, not a pigeon. Not sure how smoked gull tastes, but we can certainly give it a try.

I’m sure it tastes like chicken. (Doesn’t every meat we don’t eat regularly?)

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM

DarkCurrent: To answer your question seriously, it is because, divinely guided or not, God does not abrogate Free Will.

Baptism washes away Original Sin, but does not restore us to our pre-Fallen state of naturally desiring God’s will over our own. Therefore, it should be clear that it is theoretically possible that God’s will does not have to be followed.

Another way of saying this is that the Cardinals are not required to listen to divine guidance. They lay up a very special penalty for themselves if they do so, but it can happen, regardless.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Gull? Water? Journey over water? Papa Americano?

Oil Can on March 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

And the new pope is… Father Greedo Sarducci.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Shep Smith? I assume it’s nonstop Catholic bashing.

Marcus on March 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Gulls, are the sea going version of pigeons. In other words, rats with wings. I’ve eaten a lot of strange food, but unlike Andrew Zimmern I have limits. Perhaps, Ed can share a smokes gull with Andrew on his show. :)

simkeith on March 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

How many candidates are there? 20? They should just roll a 20-sided die and be done with it.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I’m sure it tastes like chicken. (Doesn’t every meat we don’t eat regularly?)

Bitter Clinger on March 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM

MAN! just a few minutes too late to the thread. :D

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

yep yep. They are accountable and I’d venture to say all of them are very aware of that.

inviolet on March 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

inviolet: Sometimes I think that God is simply the best statistician in the world.

Incidentally, an argument I often use as part of the Proof by Design is to show how statistical distributions are a sign of order in what is apparently chaos. (It is a nonrandom pattern of randomness.) There is very little evidence to show that this ‘should’ be absent some kind of Design.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

inviolet on March 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Maybe they’re aware, but I’m not so sure they take it very seriously.

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Fenris: Well, luckily for us, awareness is implied in their very office, and therefore, ignorance is no excuse for the sin of confusing their will for God’s. And that’s putting the matter charitably in some cases.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

And there would be precedent for that: pray, then cast lots.

So now it’s pray and cast ballots. Oh well — you rush a conclave, you get rotten popes. Oh wait; that was the Princess Bride.

inviolet on March 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

ignorance is no excuse for the sin of confusing their will for God’s.

What if you honestly believe you are following the guidance of the Holy Spirit? It’s not like God sends them an email with someone’s name in it and then they go and vote for a different guy.

Surely it is possible to choose the wrong person and still be doing it in complete good faith.

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Maybe they’re aware, but I’m not so sure they take it very seriously.

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Fortunately for us, God does. And yes, the overwhelming majority of them take it very seriously too.

People tend to forget that in the 70s, it was widely believed that pedophiles were curable. We now know that the majority are not. So bishops really did believe that after treatment, a priest would be OK.

And clergymen (no, priests are not the only abusers of children) were, and still are, far less likely than the average male, to abuse a child.

One child abused is still one too many. But a few evil men who are headed for divine judgment do not a rotten Church make, as many seem to prefer to believe (because they don’t like some of the other teachings and are looking for a reason to dismiss them).

People also forget that if these abusers had been following the teachings of the Church, none of the evil ever would have happened.

–one who was abused as a child (but never by a priest)

inviolet on March 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Hey, they took my advice and put some flood lights on the ole chimney.

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

inviolet on March 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I’m sure we agree more than not, but I think you’re giving them more benefit of the doubt than is wise. Whether pedophilia is curable or not, there is no justification for Mahony’s and others actions.

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Men are not infallible. Even the “rock of the church” denied Christ three times.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

For those who want to be notified immediately about white smoke, you can sign up with Pope Alarm:

Run by FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students), a great organization, they will you send a text, email, or both, when the Habemus Papem happens.

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

F. Guido Sarducci must be on something. Wassa matta for you?

jake49 on March 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

–one who was abused as a child (but never by a priest)

inviolet on March 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I’m sorry to hear you went through that. As for Mahony, let the legal system run its course. Hopefully, justice will be done.

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Habemus Papem!

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

White smoke! Habemus papam!

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Please, let it be Pope Hilarius II

Creston on March 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Dude. White smoke. Pass me the Doritos, dude.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Who is it, Ed?

Fallon on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

HOORAY!!

WE’RE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!O.K, whatevah…

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

That was kinda fast. News media says in an hour we get a name.

nobar on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

News media says in an hour we get a name.

nobar on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

But, Ed has the inside track, doesn’t he?

Fallon on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Christ is the only leader of His church.

tyketto on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

oops, that was just a car with a cracked head gasket
and white smoke coming out the exhaust in Vatican Square……

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

And it’s…. Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater of Rome, as prophesied by Saint Malachy.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

This is exactly how Jesus chose his disciples, He looked over a bunch of resumes from political bureaucrats, and made His choice based on how well they had followed doctrine…right? Isn’t that how Jesus chose his disciples, the ones who have set the standard…by only choosing established religious leaders…my, my, how far from the bible and the teaching of Christ can one be.

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Please, let it be Pope Hilarius II

Creston on March 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Pope Peter II, you know, to make the conspiracy theorists happy.

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Wow, on the second day? And, Pope Alarm has let me down – I read it here first. :-(

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Christ is the only leader of His church.

tyketto on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

He’s the leader in your church? What do you do on Sunday, stare at an empty lectern for an hour?

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

And it’s…. Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater of Rome, as prophesied by Saint Malachy.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The “prophecy” is a forgery, written 400 years after Malachy died.

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Good scoop Ed, had it before CNN and WSJ.

John_Locke on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

where is Barack Obama? Is he still in DC?

PappyD61 on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

…soon the answer to the age old question…Is the Pope Catholic?

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Pope Peter II, you know, to make the conspiracy theorists happy.

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Hee..

I’m assuming that the Italian guy won.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Congrats to Ed, the update for white smoke hit here before Drudge…get scooped! And congrats to all the Catholics out there. :)

airmonkey on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

We are not Catholic’s but we are very very happy for those of you who are!

When will we hear who it is and where he is from?
L

letget on March 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I agree – that was my question. Scott H suggested above that it is sin for a cardinal to confuse his will for God’s, and that ignorance is no excuse. But is it truly sin if it is done in ignorance yet also in good faith? As you say, men are fallible and discerning the will of God isn’t exactly always a piece of cake. Sorry if I’m not being clear.

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Over under on how many headlines state: Holy Smoke!

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Oh wow, I took my eye off the smoke cam for one minute and that’s what happened…

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Christ is the only leader of His church.

tyketto on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I read it here before I saw it on live coverage. wild stuff. Must be like a small delay.

Creston on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

And now the drama of the media’s paramount concern: Is the new Pope in favor of homosexual ‘marriage’ or is he a hater?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Wow! That was quick. Fourth vote. One of the cardinals must have gone in with more support than we observers realized, or else a name came up in the first or second rounds that made all the cardinals go: “Yeah! He’ll make a great pope!”

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

The world emerges from its Popelessness. Congrats, Catholics!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Finally got the text from Pope Alarm. Guess they were too excited to remember to send it. :-/

Ward Cleaver on March 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Actually he spent an entire night discussing the matter directly with God.

tommyboy on March 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

catsandbooks on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It could’ve been the fifth vote, the last of the evening.

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM

poor ed, i’m sure he was looking forward to a few more days of mediterranean diet pizza and gelato.

sesquipedalian on March 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM

2-3 days tops – told you, Ed. :) The Romans you spoke with earlier in the week were correct.

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I’m assuming that the Italian guy won.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’m betting on the conservative Brazilian guy. Because he’s really sort of a German, and they want to focus on stamping out liberation theology. The loser of our little bet has to streak naked through Vatican City every day at noon for a year. Agreed?

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

He was also publically rebuked by the Apostle Paul for his unChristian behavior toward gentile Christians.

tommyboy on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

This reminds me very much of 2005, when we got Benedict, so I’m hopeful. I believe he was chosen on the 4th ballot, in the early afternoon (our time) too.

Also reminds me of 2005, that then there were “no frontrunners” from a media mostly concerned with talking about a black guy (in that case Arinze). After Ratzinger was selected, then they say he was the frontrunner all along. Exactly what they’re saying right now about Scola, though there were no frontrunners, and nothing but “gridlock” this morning.

Gingotts on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

But, Ed has the inside track, doesn’t he?
Fallon on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Can we get a ruling on when the name is announced, Ed?

nobar on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

As an ugly sibling to the Catholic Church (Lutheran)
I salute thee!

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I’m guessing it’s Joe Lieberman…

cnredd

cnredd on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory!

May your hand always be upon your earthly steward and may Your Will always be done.

Elisa on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Actually he spent an entire night discussing the matter directly with God.

tommyboy on March 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Talking to Himself…yeah and actually, He didn’t look for established leaders, did He?

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I heard it here first. Pope Alarm you got pwned :)

Lily on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

It touches my heart to read these good wishes and congratulations from our many brothers and sisters in Christ.

Elisa on March 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Actually, it wasn’t really white smoke out of the chimney, it was a new app called “white smoke” and they just showed the iPhone on the balcony…quite modern of them.

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM

The world emerges from its Popelessness. Congrats, Catholics!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

HotAir, can we give an award to this post??

Lady, you rock

ToddPA on March 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

White smoke = Just one more Pope who Socialist Catholics will repudiate.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

He’s emerged onto the balcony!
Pope Tyrone I !

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Good, I’m glad. It’s been disconcerting not having a Pope. May God be with him and all the faithful.

SukieTawdry on March 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Fenris on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

No thank you.. unless you look like Ryan Gosling.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Just hearing the good news! We got white smoke!

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Talking with the first person of the Godhead. And at that point there were no “established leaders” to choose from.

tommyboy on March 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Father Federico Lombardi, visibly annoyed, gave a shorter answer, which Father Thomas Rosica paraphrased into an even shorter answer in English. “We are well aware of SNAP and its activities,” Rosica said, and told the media that SNAP was using the conclave to “amplify” accusations against Mahony and others.

This is the “brave” leadership…of course people “amplified”, that has to be there take on it…Mahony should be in jail…

But…congrats to the Catholics, they have a leader, let’s hope he is better than Mahony…

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

tommyboy on March 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That’s what I said, Himself, one of the three entities…

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Ed was johnny on the spot with the white smoke update. His finger must of been hovering over the enter key. Kudos

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM

No such luck…Shimp Smith is back on Fox News.

d1carter on March 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Christ is the only leader of His church.

tyketto on March 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

right2bright on March 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

My understanding is that the priest is Christ’s representative.

Kevin K. on March 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

There is going to be some gnashing of teeth if a Conservative Pope was chosen.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

So I’m not overly familiar with this process. There’s a new pope, when do we get to find out who it is?

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

No, actually G*d saddled His Son with an amazing set of Morons and Traitors….Peter who denies Him, Peter who refuses to believe what Christ tells him several times, Peter who tempts Christ by saying He doesn’t have to die, Thomas who denies Him, Thomas who is so thick when jesus is talking aobut His Father’s mansion and the many rooms there, Thomas askes Him why He isn’t taking them to the La Quinta with Him, and Judas who betrays Him….

They were a huge set of traitors, self-important, blind chuckleheads actually, if you read the Scriptures.

It just so happens that they founded His True Church, as well….so don’t be too quick to judge methods or people…because by many “objective” measures the Founders of Christianity were no great shakes.

JFKY on March 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I didn’t think I’d be this happy or excited to hear of a new Pope but I am.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

There is going to be some gnashing of teeth if a Conservative Pope was chosen.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Not from me.

VegasRick on March 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

LukeinNE on March 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Should be within the next 30 minutes.

WisRich on March 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM