Smoke watch: Day 2 afternoon; Update: White Smoke!

posted at 1:31 pm on March 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

(VATICAN CITY) The cardinals have returned to the Sistine Chapel for two more votes after lunch, and after an unusual press briefing from La Sala Stampa.  The Vatican moved the briefing for the first time to the center in which I’ve been working for the last few days, and apparently will keep the 1 pm conference in this location.

This time, however, they got asked a question about Cardinal Roger Mahony’s participation, which produced a brusque response.  A reporter asked a lengthy question in Italian about the retired Archbishop of Los Angeles and his role in the conclave in light of accusations from SNAP over his role in covering up abuse in his diocese, a question that (like the others) didn’t get translated to the rest of the press.  Father Federico Lombardi, visibly annoyed, gave a shorter answer, which Father Thomas Rosica paraphrased into an even shorter answer in English.  “We are well aware of SNAP and its activities,” Rosica said, and told the media that SNAP was using the conclave to “amplify” accusations against Mahony and others.  The men in question reflected on those accusations and decided to attend, and Rosica finished by saying that the Vatican respected those cardinals and the decisions they made.  I doubt this will be the last time the media asks about this, however.

Otherwise, it was a more relaxed and friendly briefing.  All three priests gave their personal reflections about participating in the procession yesterday, and offered a few jokes to lighten the mood before and after the Mahoney question.  They reported getting a number of calls yesterday after the prodigious amount of smoke from the first ballot last night, and wanted to assure everyone that the Sistine Chapel was still in good condition and that none of the cardinals had any medical issues with the smoke.  They began to explain the chemical composition of the canisters which produce the colored smoke, but advised reporters to wait to read the ingredients in a press release.  “I don’t study this stuff,” Rosica explained with a laugh, “I study the Bible.”

One other point became more firm, too, which I have confirmed with one of the media.  The installation Mass for the new Pope will not take place until next week at the earliest — even if this afternoon produces a new Pope.  He may or may not do the Angelus as traditional on Sunday, but he won’t celebrate the Mass.

For now, we are about 90 minutes or so into the afternoon session.  If the first ballot produces a Pope, then we will see white smoke immediately.  If not, we’ll have to wait for the result of the second ballot for either black or white smoke, and that could be as late as 7 pm Rome time, 90 minutes from now.  The morning smoke was about an hour early, though, so they may wrap up early tonight even if no consensus has been reached.

In the meantime, here’s an interview I conducted earlier today with Kim Daniels of Catholic Voices USA, talking about the need to offer a positive outreach to Catholics and non-Catholics alike, and how the conclave offers a great opportunity to do so.

I’ll update this post either way depending on the outcome of the ballot.  Stay tuned.

Update: There has been a pigeon sitting on top of the chimney for the last 20 minutes or so.  If it was a dove, I’d call it a sign.  If the chimney fires up, it might just be … squab.

Update II: Actually, a friend I made from Ireland tells me it’s a gull, not a pigeon.  Not sure how smoked gull tastes, but we can certainly give it a try.

Update III: White Smoke! And the bells are ringing in St. Peter’s Square.  That’s confirmation!!

Update IV: I ran out to St. Peter’s Square with just my camera and no other equipment.  I’ll post some video shortly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gingotts: I knew enough to both be very happy for Bendict’s elevation, as well as being surprised at how personable he turned out to be.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Anyone see Ed out there in the crowd?

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Happy for Ed he managed to be there for this.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

verbaluce: I could not tell you this. I do know that the Pope has addressed US leaders on visits.

I’m not sure why the Pope would address the Sanhedrin when there are so many sinners to address, though. ;)

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

You mean I no longer have blind faith?
Sure, fair to say that.
verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You traded your soul for liberalism. Sad really.

nobar on March 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hey Ed, did you bring one of those spify Hot Air T-shirts to give the new Pope? I kid, I kid.

Happy for you to be able to witness this historic event!!!!

D-fusit on March 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Anyone see Ed out there in the crowd?

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Just look for the camera flashes reflecting off his head.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM

You mean I no longer have blind faith?
Sure, fair to say that.
verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
You traded your soul for liberalism. Sad really.
nobar on March 13, 2013 at 3:04

Can’t say you make the best spokesman for the faith….

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Oh man, they’re so twitchy on EWTN. Wonder how many MSM mixups there will be as to whether the Cardinal Deacon is saying “Angelo” or “Odilo.”

Gingotts on March 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Just look for the camera flashes reflecting off his head.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM

click

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Can’t say you make the best spokesman for the faith….

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Can’t say you make the best spokesman for liberalism.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM

finally

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Oh my God, they have named Obama as the next Pope./s

SC.Charlie on March 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Bergolio??

Gingotts on March 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Pope Francis!

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Jorge Bergoglio from Buenos Aires is now Pope Francis.

steebo77 on March 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Love the shot of the guy filming with his iPad.

Chris of Rights on March 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

He is considered a “reformer.” Ordinary man who used to ride the bus.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

First pope from the New World!

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Wow. They already have in in Wikipedia as Pope Francis. Someone is quick with their fingers over there.

LibraryGryffon on March 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

May the strength of God be with you Pope Francis.

Wasn’t expecting that.

can_con on March 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Wasn’t expecting that.

can_con on March 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I wasn’t either. I thought it was going to be an Italian.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Shep Smith had a difficult time reading off the new pope’s background. Couldn’t pronounce confessor correctly. He blew something else.

Why does Fox have a gay guy covering this? A chance for Shep and his “partner” to tack on a romantic weekend in Rome?

After all, Fox has that attractive gal who they cart out for the religious segments.

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

A Jesuit….bit of a surprise there.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

And an intellect like yours isn’t sought after by MENSA? What a shame.

JetBoy on March 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Well you seem properly focused.

verbaluce on March 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Very late getting back to the thread, but thank you, I appreciate your elaboration on your earlier point.

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Well he is Italian by way of Argentina.

can_con on March 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

can_con on March 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

lol, yes…interesting they are saying he was 2nd choice after Benedict last time.

CoffeeLover on March 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Missy: Yeah, sorry, I was updating family on all of this, as they are not as tuned in to blogs and the like as I am.

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Scott H on March 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Yes, I can barely keep up! Exciting day.

Missy on March 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM