Piers Morgan on Bloomberg’s soda ban: “I think people need the nanny state occasionally”

posted at 12:41 pm on March 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via NRO, which not only cut the clip but snagged this ode to petty for-your-own-good authoritarianism from Morgan’s Twitter account:

“I think people need the nanny state occasionally,” he says. I say: Define “occasionally.” As with his crusade against “assault weapons,” his rhetoric frequently betrays much grander regulatory ambitions than what he’s ostensibly arguing for. If you’re going to give government a mandate to “make the populace healthier,” there’s no way you’re going to stop at a half-assed, almost completely arbitrary restriction on soda portions. You’re going to go further. What I want to know is, how much? Where is the point, whether on guns or on nutrition, where this guy thinks the average individual can be trusted? No one seriously believes Bloomy’s soda ban will do much to improve New Yorkers’ health. If you’re serious about that, you have to do more. If he’s unwilling to draw a line, then the only conclusion is that he’s following the same incrementalist strategy towards a far-left outcome as Jan Schakowsky.

By the way, his guest here, who spends three minutes gently pushing back against the food police, is no Republican. That’s Christine Quinn — loyal Democrat, usually loyal Bloomberg ally, current president of the New York City Council, and quite possibly Bloomy’s successor as mayor. This is why I said in yesterday’s post that the court ruling is a big deal. In most cases, he’d simply get the city legislature to hand him the power he’s asking for. Not this time. Maybe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey, Bloomie. C’mon Down to Mississippi. I’ll Buy You a Barbeque Sammich and a Sweet Tea Big Gulp. My take.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

blink on March 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

The fructose and glucose in sugar are bonded together, requiring the body to break them apart in order for them to get through the small intestine and into the blood stream. HFCS on the other hand, the bonds are already broken, meaning the body does nothing in order for them to get through the small intestine and into the blood stream.

You really do not seem to be very intelligent and have absorbed all the good little useful idiot arguments that places like ADM have put into your little mind.

astonerii on March 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

They repealed it…last year I think.

workingclass artist on March 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I know. See my post above.

Resist We Much on March 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Resist We Much on March 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your posts and your evisceration of our Trolls. Keep up the good work, ma’am. By the way, in ’78, I visited the York Insignia Shoppe, and had our family crest put on a plaque and sent to my Father. I now have it on my wall.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

astoneril: What you posted is true. Here’s my understanding of one difference between sugar & fructose: Sugar acts as an inflammatory agent in the body, & fructose is mainly metabolized in the liver, leading to higher triglycerides.

Salt is probably much worse for you than sugar. Michael addressed this on his show last PM. No more than 1,000mg daily. One can of soup may have more than that. High Na levels may lead to elevated blood pressure & autoimmune diseases.

I’m glad Bloomberg the billionaire got kicked down a notch. Of course he’ll be back, bullies never stop until they get what they want. I recall he said in defense of his stupid law banning large cups, that consumers can buy (2) 16 oz. cups instead, “I’m giving them a choice”.. Hey, Bloomberg, it’ll cost more!

Belle on March 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

That twit needs to go back to where he came from…. unfortunately, they don’t want the sob either. What a moron.

ultracon on March 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Piers Morgan has no respect for individual liberty or accountability. None.

CrustyB on March 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Effeminate creep. No wonder the Brits cannot take on Argentina.

pat on March 13, 2013 at 2:17 AM

“Defeat — I do not recognise the meaning of the word!”

~~ Margaret Thatcher, as quoted in The Battle for the Falklands by Hastings and Jenkins

RedPepper on March 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

So he is saying like all neo-comms that certain members of humanity were just born to be slaves.

I am beginning to think we need to rethink the whole thirteenth amendment and its antiquated notions. The poor have had their turn enslaving us…time for a tag out.

ClassicCon on March 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The poor have had their turn enslaving us…time for a tag out.

ClassicCon on March 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Dude, every once in a while someone posts a comment that you stop and say, my God how much truth can you pack into one comment? This one is profound. And very true. The very idea that we’re enslaved by those that the left claims to live under our thumbs staggers the mind.

We beg for more people to take EBT cards.

We say these things though and people are preconditioned to call our hearts hard.

hawkdriver on March 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

hawkdriver on March 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It’s long past time for a healthy dose of “tough love”.
Children – and that’s what we’re talking about here – need to be taught to function on their own, and eventually need to be kicked out of the house to live their own lives.

Anyone who is coddled and spoiled and handed everything they need or want for too long will never learn to function on their own – and that is far more cruel in my view.

dentarthurdent on March 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Dear Piers:

That’s what my church, friends and family are for.

Observation #1: You’re NOT my friend.
Observation #2: Neither is the government.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on March 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

O/T C-span2 on now…Cruz Amendment coming up for a vote

bluefox on March 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Belle on March 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Your understanding is lacking, also.

blink on March 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Sorry to be so late to the party, but I had lots of patients to see this morning.

Actually, blink is 100% correct. Fructose, glucose, sucrose are indistinguishable by the time they get into the stomach. The “bonds” in fructose and sucrose are “broken” by saliva and preliminary metabolism occuring in the mouth and esophogus. (Metabolism actually starts in your mouth by salivary action) I learned this 45 years ago in high school, well before medical school. The scientific misinformation to be found on the internet is truly astounding.

NOMOBO on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Effeminate creep. No wonder the Brits cannot take on Argentina.

pat on March 13, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Piers Morgan doesn’t represent the British people so it is disappointing to see that he is being used as a vehicle for anti-British rhetoric

As for the Falklands,Reagan urged Thatcher not to humiliate Argentina
and didn’t give full support

mags on March 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM

NOMOBO on March 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

You should have stayed out of the party, because you just made your DOCTORATE less worthy. For disclosure purposes so people can decide not to visit your practice, could you let people know who you are? On your own volition of course.

Digestion of Sugars

Simple carbohydrates, or sugars, (eg. table sugar) are digested by an enzyme in the lining of the small intestine. Examples: Table sugar is broken down into glucose and fructose, each of which is then absorbed from the intestinal cavity into the blood. Milk contains another type of sugar, lactose, which is broken down by an enzyme called lactase, also found in the intestinal lining. See also Carb Blockers

Now, back to sucrose-eating. When that table sugar reaches the beginning of the small intestine it meets an enzyme called “sucrase”. This is a protein formed on the inside of the intestine. It recognizes sucrose and splits the “chain” or bond between glucose and fructose. This “sugar-clipper” is specially designed to fit the link between glucose and fructose in sucrose alone. It does not attack other sugars.

Thus your highly educated selves, if the sucrose and fructose bond is already BROKEN, as is the case with High Fructose Corn Syrup, then the body does not spend any time breaking the bonds and it is free to go straight into the blood stream! Thus increasing faster and to a higher value blood glucose levels. As evidenced by my at home experiment with my blood glucose readers!

High Fructose Corn Syrup, or HFCS, is a liquid sweetener derived from #2 corn (commodity corn) which is grown in higher yield than sweet corn. Where table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide (double sugar) made of glucose and fructose bonded together, HFCS has both of these sugars, but individually rather than bonded.

astonerii on March 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I think the people need to stick the bloody severed heads of the political and media elites on pikes occasionally. Teaches the others to be humble.

Wallythedog on March 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Great! The guy who hails from the great country of Britian, thinks “we” need to do what his country does…. Someone please explain that this is NOT how we do things here in America. At least not yet..

mr_west on March 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Well, Morgan probably needs a nanny, one with a firm hand, and hopefully one who will swat his fat bottom a few times and make him sit in the corner for saying something stupid everytime he opens his mouth.

zoyclem on March 14, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Asteronii,
Interesting thesis. Now, please tell me the mechanism by which dental caries occurs.

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Asteronii,

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I understand your need to recoup some of your lost credibility, but that is not my place. I just proved to you where sugar is broken down, and it was not where you claimed it was. Learn to learn!

Dental caries or cavities, more commonly known as tooth decay, are caused by a breakdown of the tooth enamel. This breakdown is the result of bacteria on teeth that breakdown foods and produce acid that destroys tooth enamel and results in tooth decay.

Bacteria? Hmmm, here again, seems that you are a very less than well informed person… Is that where your medical training was? Dental school? Good for you! Good for you!

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Stop trying to make claims about something you know nothing about.

Are you actually attempting to claim that sugars don’t start to break down in the mouth?

Yes, because the bacteria stuck on my teeth touch every bit of the sugar that goes into my mouth and digest every bit of it before it gets to my intestines. That is why the intestines have specific enzymes to break down sugar… The enzymes in the mouth attack starch, not sugar.

This breakdown is the result of bacteria on teeth that breakdown foods…

Oh wait! Even the section that you cut-&-paste from the internet proves you’re wrong. This is clearly saying that there’s breakdown of foods in the mouth! I wonder WHAT foods breakdown in the mouth. Yes, it’s sugars.

It’s obvious that we know more about you than this.

No, it does not prove me wrong. Everyone knows that bacteria feed on the food you consume, that is why we have things like brushing to dislodge bacteria and mouth washes which kill bacteria. For the most part bacteria in the mouth is unhealthy. Are you really a dentist that is promoting people keep the little bugs in their mouth and refrain from brushing and rinsing with an antibiotic mouthwash?

And again, please explain why you claim that table sugar is healthier than HFCS despite a lack of clinical studies and despite the fact that they both have the same GI.

I’m waiting….

blink on March 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I have yet to see you provide any studies at all. Just simple childish attacks with nothing to back them up.

I already explained why HFCS is less healthy than table sugar. It causes glucose spikes which are higher than what you get from table sugar. These spikes require higher dosages of insulin from the liver to bring down.

Our bodies are designed to digest the food present in nature, sugar is a natural food source, high fructose corn syrup is not. While not all artificially created foods are bad, this one is.

It’s hilarious that you walked right into this one.

Did you seriously not know that bacteria perform a range of metabolic activities in the human body?

Congratulations making yourself look stupid.

blink on March 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Of course I do. I eat yogurt in order to add bacteria to my intestines. I rarely go around looking to increase my bacterial load in my mouth. Do you?

You seriously thought I did not know that some bacteria are beneficial?

Seriously though, go ahead and give your name and home city, so patients can stop visiting your QUACK dentistry unit.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

OOps, my bad, I did not read your name… Thought you were DOC…

By the way, no sugar is broken down in the mouth, except through the bad bacteria.

Salivary amylase breaks down starches into sugars. Starch is, technically, a polysaccharide or a polymer of sugar, but most people don’t consider starch to be a sugar. No sugars are digested by any salivary enzyme.

Unless you have a source that says otherwise, you have lost this argument.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

asteronii,

A little bit of knowledge is truly a dangerous thing. The physiology of the human body is really very complex. There is a reason most doctors get an undergraduate degree in a life science, and then spend four more years in medical school, and most often a few more years in residency. All to be taught “the truth” by someone who is adept at cutting and pasting from the internet.

I get your type of medical interpretation from patients on a regular basis. I do not scoff at them, I try to educate them in a way they can understand. But if they continue to argue with me by presenting their internet “research”, I generally give up because they do not want to learn.

So, asteronii, I give up. Have a nice day.

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

So, asteronii, I give up. Have a nice day.

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Trying to redeem your name is not working here with that crap. I believe you are in the medical field, that is why I think you should out yourself.

You make a claim and do not back it up with anything.

NOMOBO claims sugar is broken down in the mouth and the throat… Evidence, none.
I show evidence where it is broken down in the small intestines and not the mouth.
NOMOBO then claims he tried to teach me… But I am a belligerent ass who is unteachable…

Well NOMOBO where was your teaching? You were not teaching, you were attacking, using no evidence to back up your claim where I have evidence to back mine up.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM

blink on March 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

There are studies. Your rant fails again.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

1. Table sugar is NOT a natural food.

Table sugar is as much a natural food as fruit juice. It is just dehydrated. It is as much a natural food as cold pressed olive oil is a natural food.

Again, you are not very well versed in things.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Bacteria are necessary catalyst for much of human digestion. The problem is that bacteria respire anaerobically which means that they generate lactic acid (just like human muscles that respire anaerobically). If this lactic acid is allowed to sit against your teeth, then it can cause decay. So, using an antiseptic in your mouth after eating or before bed is a great way to reduce this.

Funny, my food digests just fine immediately after brushing and and using a mouth wash. Just fine. Some of the bacteria in the mouth are beneficial, but it is saliva that starts the digestion process for starches and there is no real break down started for fats in the mouth.

What you and NOMOBO are arguing is that starch is sugar, it is made up of sugar, and the saliva, not bacteria, starts breaking it down immediately. But that does not separate table sugar into its two sub components. That action, as I have said all along and you have not given any evidence to the contrary occurs in the small intestine.

My argument is that table sugar, where it is a complex sugar that cannot enter the bloodstream until it is broken up, enters the blood stream as a slower pace than high fructose corn syrup.

The healthy value you are talking bout is the GLUCOSE level, and of course HFCS will have a lower rating because it is high fructose and thus lower glucose.

My argument is, and is born out by a simple test you can do at home with two sodas and a blood sugar tester. A throwback sugar soda and a regular hfcs soda. Take test, write down result. Drink sugar Soda, wait 5 minutes, repeat test, write down result. Wait 10 minutes, take test, write down result. wait 30 minutes, take test, write down result. Wait for same time tomorrow and repeat using the HFCS soda instead. Compare results.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

blink on March 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Skinning an orange is food processing. so, you are going to argue that eating an orange without the peel is not a natural food? How about cracking a nut to get to the inside, is that nut no longer natural?

You expect people to believe you.

You are right about the liver and insulin… my bad.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

blink on March 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The one that matters is the one I can verify. A whole hundreds of times…

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The one that matters is the one I can verify. A whole hundreds of times…

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Ah, the plot thickens, I should have known. Natureopathy is a fringe element of medical science. I would not go around quoting stuff like this as medical proof–it would call my expertise into question. And like with any liberal, one could state the absolute truth about a medical principle, and a natureopath would never accept that truth.

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Yes, those studies that find negative results of corn syrun just never happened.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

NOMOBO on March 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM

For a medical practitioner of some sort, not knowing where sugar gets digested pretty much sums up why I trust you.

astonerii on March 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM