Video: Vatican Dispatch from St. Peter’s Square

posted at 1:46 pm on March 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a busy day here at the Vatican.  The press briefing for today ran longer than usual, as there won’t be time for a press briefing tomorrow, and Fr. Lombardi and his team wanted to give as much detail as possible.  I review that and some of the other events of the day in my latest Vatican Dispatch:

Since I don’t have easy access to the printers in the media room, I’m taking notes from media briefings on Evernote, which is why I’m reading from my cell phone.  That actually works better than trying to hold papers in hand in the breezy piazza.  I wanted to get this one done early, since I won’t be able to get into the square to do it tomorrow or the next few days; there will very likely be a large crowd waiting to see if the cardinals cast a vote on the first evening of the conclave, although they aren’t required to do so under the present rules.

A few other observations:

After a few days of walking back and forth from my hotel to the media center — about a mile, with all of my equipment — I bought a pass for the Metro system at a tabachi shop this afternoon across from the media center.  When I asked for a two-week pass, I was told I could only buy one week at a time.  “You don’t need two weeks,” the woman added. “One week is all you need. We will have a new Pope in two, three days.”

“You think it will be that quick?” I asked.  Both the woman and her co-worker, a rather daunting man working a grill, agreed vigorously on that, but not on who the new Pope will be.  “Turkson,” said the cook, meaning Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.

The woman gave him a skeptical look, so I asked, “Who do you think?”

Americano,” she replied.

“Really?” As much as I’d heard that in the Italian media, I had yet to hear anyone else believe that.

“Oh yes,” she replied with a smile. “They have a song on the radio,” she explained, “called Papa Americano.  They changed the words,” she added, meaning that it’s apparently a parody song.  “So it will be Papa Americano.”

I didn’t ask what song it parodied, but it occurred to me after I said goodbye that it might just be Mambo Italiano, the old Rosemary Clooney song you can hear endlessly at Italian restaurants in the US.  The meter is perfect, but that’s not what she meant.  There was a popular song here called We Speak No Americano, also known as Pa-Pa l’Americano, from a few years ago, which might give you a worse earworm than Mambo Italiano:

Hey, I’ve seen worse reasons for predictions …

Comments

Pope Ed I?

PappyD61 on March 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Ed is going to be coming back with the ability to talk with his hands.

Oil Can on March 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

All the reports I’ve seen say 2-3 days max.

Missy on March 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Why is Ed crying in the photo on the main page?

Zetterson on March 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Pope Ed I?

PappyD61 on March 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Thou shalt become a Steelers fan.
Thou shalt get an account with Hot Air and banter on QOTD every night.
Thou shalt order an adult beverage and charge it to predator when doing the latter.

22044 on March 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The interesting thing for me is not so much who will be elected but that there is so much talk about a non-Italian or non-European. A different perspective could well re-energize the RCC.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM

It’s a cute song but that is a horrible version of it.

Blake on March 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Different lyrics but sounds almost identical.

Blake on March 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Papa Americano…

Whoa…

workingclass artist on March 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Hey if it is a Papa Americano, will that mean the rat-eared wonder will have some competition in picking the final four in the NCAA Men’s basketball tournament? Of course a prediction of Villanova, Xavier, Georgetown, and St. Mary’s might be a tad on the biased side.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

1. Out of the 152 Cardinals, how many were selected by the last Pope?

2. When do Barry and Moochelle show up?

Blake on March 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

When do Barry and Moochelle show up?

Blake on March 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Don’t be silly. They’ll simply dispense with the white smoke. At the appropriate time the jumbotrons in St. Peters Square will show the first grifters and it will be they who utter the words Eligo in summum pontificem

Seriously though, I wonder just how quickly the White House is putting in a call the Vatican- especially if it is indeed a Papa Americano.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Thanks for the Report Ed. It’s a lot more info than listening to Charlie Rose blather on mindlessly about the need for the next pope to be more open to “widely accepted modern requirements” by American Catholics, like abortion on demand, and contraceptives, and talking endlessly about the bank scandal. Keep up the good work.

Now for Papa l’Americano. That song is 4 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back.

simkeith on March 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

We have the Nigerian Pope.

Obama loves the reglion like cult around him. This will burst his bubble big time. He is a pentulate child that hate to share the spot light.

Oil Can on March 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Van Halen it ain’t.

hillbillyjim on March 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

All the reports I’ve seen say 2-3 days max.

Missy on March 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

That might be based on recent history. It’s been nearly 200 years since a papal conclave ran more than 4 or 5 days, with abut 3 days being the norm since.

JimLennon on March 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

simkeith on March 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

No matter the nationality of the next Pontiff, I somehow don’t think that he’ll care a whole lot about Charlie Rose’s opinion on how the RCC needs to accomodate American sensibilities.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Oil Can on March 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I’m just surprised the rat-eared wonder is out there telling the press that he think’s that Chicago’s Francis E. George would be an outstanding Pope.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That would explain local WLS radio news this morning, which was teasing the story more than the hair of an 80s metal band:

“With the papal conclave starting tomorrow there’s a lot of buzz about maybe an American getting elected! Could it be Cardinal George??”

Yeah, um, no.

JimLennon on March 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

The song’s beat reminds me of the extended version of The Safety Dance.

22044 on March 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

simkeith on March 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It’s a rip off of this old song teasing Italian kids who strut around in the latest American fashions paid for by money from their mama’s purse! Brian Selzer Orchestra does a version of it, too.

Blake on March 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

We already have a Pope. It’s just a matter of choosing him.

unclesmrgol on March 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

If barack is recommending him, that’s the kiss of death, for sure.

MustLoveBlogs on March 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

So true. My pastor had a post on his blog this morning that summed it up rather nicely about what the next pope will do, proclaim the Truth first spoken by Peter, “You are the Christ, the son of the living God.” The Pope can not change eternal Truth for Charlie Rose, or million’s of dissident American Catholics. As my wonderful priest put it, “He must proclaim it because the Pope is not master but servant — of the Truth.”

I love my priest.

And I hope the Italians are right and it is an Americano. Just make it the right one!!! Coincidentally, (or not) my priest titled his post “Peter has spoken through Leo”. Leo…yes… Come, Holy Spirit!

pannw on March 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

No offense to Ed, but…

Does anybody really expect who the next Pope is to affect anything?

Will the Catholic Church suddenly recognize the evil of government socialism? Denounce the confiscation of hard earned money at the point of a gun to give to someone else? Will the new Pope announce that Jesus preached charity not government enforced redistribution? That the root of many social evils is single motherhood encouraged by government policies? Will the Pope suddenly rein in all of the clergy and sisters who for decades have supported every liberal government policy? Will the Pope excommunicate all those who vote for political parties whose platforms support abortion?

We all know the answers.

Who cares who wins this Miss Congeniality pageant?

Over50 on March 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM