Video: How to break 15 laws in 33 seconds

posted at 10:01 pm on March 11, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

A brief lesson in overcriminalization from, of all places, Buzzfeed.

Cute, pithy, and perfect for pop culture. It does sound better than a lecture on overcriminalization, huh? Maybe someone should do one on gun laws. It’d have to be David Gregory.

Previous:
Florida man charged with felony for romantic balloon-release gesture on Valentine’s Day

Comments

There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. -Ayn Rand

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Too bad the various governments in this country don’t go through their old laws every five years or so and clean out the obviously stupid and/or unenforceable ones…you know, like cleaning out the garage periodically.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Also add filling out your taxes.

Elchasebo on March 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

As Churchill said: A nation that creates thousands of regulations will soon become lawless.

HopeHeFails on March 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I broke the law several times today… :-)

I intend to keep on breaking laws.

Come get me you bastages!! ;-P

I am became criminalized! Lol…

Scrumpy on March 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I don’t know that that’s the best example since several are things many reasonable people wouldn’t find unreasonable.

Frankly I’ve got no problem with Littering and Public Urination being crimes. Overcriminalization to me is more about things such as:

- the creation of felonies out of minor infractions

- creating federal crimes out of local offenses

- issuing laws in the thousands of pages such that nobody ever KNOWS whether they’re breaking the law

Just my $.02 (illegal no doubt because I don’t have a permit to see online).

SoRight on March 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Only in America…………D*mmitt!!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

… that would be sell online. Typing infraction.

SoRight on March 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

SoRight on March 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

$500 Fine!! Pay Up! ;-P

Scrumpy on March 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

HopeHeFails on March 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM

HopeHeFails:Good Point,:)

We Will Break the law in the Sky`s,on the Land,and in the Sea`s,
and on the Beachs,on the Streets,we shall never get caught,nor surrender,

we will……………………….

(snark)

canopfor on March 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

The one I’ve never understood is having to wear shoes to drive a car, a law I break all the time.

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I broke the law several times today… :-)
I intend to keep on breaking laws.
Come get me you bastages!! ;-P
I am became criminalized! Lol…
Scrumpy on March 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The only thing you should be arrested for is improper use of something resembling English.

Sherman1864 on March 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Maybe has something to do with interior air pollution!

Sherman1864 on March 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Wildcat72 hit a homerun with his Rand quote.

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Impersonating a president should be a felony.

Sherman1864 on March 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Bishop:

I hear ya Bish,those Hippy Sandals can be annoying……………..

Runs Like Hell…………………Haha:)

canopfor on March 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Maybe has something to do with interior air pollution!

Sherman1864 on March 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Sherman1864::)

…………..Still running,yells back,Haha…Good One…..
(sarc)

canopfor on March 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM

HopeHeFails on March 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM

A Nation that ignores and perverts its Founding Rules is now lawless and without foundation.
The “Public Officials” that ignore and pervert the Constitution are lower than snake crap in a wagon track and will pay a heavy price for their treason.
We don’t have to follow any laws either.
Hell, when the VP tells a citizen to break the firearms laws and the citizen gets arrested, JURY Nulification.
We, the Oathkeepers, are making a list and checking it twice.
So, all you puke Progressive Marxists, when you’re out at night and you hear a sound behind you, that might be your last thought.
If you poke a Wolverine with a sharp stick, you’ll get your balls ripped off.
We’re coming…
Best Wishes,
III/0317

dirtengineer on March 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

As long as people breathe………the Progressives will be writing a law to make the breather a criminal.

PappyD61 on March 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I don’t know about anywhere else, but I do not believe that is any longer the law in Texas.

It was on the books because, prior to development of rubber-padded brake pedals, the brake pedals would heat up and people would use that as an excuse for running stop signs and not slowing down.

SagebrushPuppet on March 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Wildcat72 hit a homerun with his Rand quote.

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I could think of no response I could make myself that was better than that quote.

Another, longer one, from Robert A. Heinlein, though this one is about the welfare state and where it inevitably leads:

‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.” -Robert A. Heinlein

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM

You forgot the good part.

But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of lawbreakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Rearden, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.”

lorien1973 on March 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Wildcat72 hit a homerun with his Heinlein quote.

8D

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Lorien1973 hit a homerun with the rest of Rand’s quote.

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I like this one from Malcom Muggeridge:

“So the final conclusion would surely be that whereas other civilizations have been brought down by attacks of barbarians from without, ours had the unique distinction of training its own destroyers at its own educational institutions, and then providing them with facilities for propagating their destructive ideology far and wide, all at the public expense. Thus did Western Man decide to abolish himself, creating his own boredom out of his own affluence, his own vulnerability out of his own strength, his own impotence out of his own erotomania, himself blowing the trumpet that brought the walls of his own city tumbling down, and having convinced himself that he was too numerous, labored with pill and scalpel and syringe to make himself fewer. Until at last, having educated himself into imbecility, and polluted and drugged himself into stupefaction, he keeled over–a weary, battered old brontosaurus–and became extinct.”

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

What about passing government budgets on time?

InterestedObserver on March 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM

There’s something wrong with a system that passes and implements laws, sometimes spending billions of dollars, without knowing if the law is Constitutional.
Seems every law written should undergo that scrutiny before being
passed or implemented.
SCOTUS in its current form is not functional….it has been completely politicized….it is enamoured with the “living document” philosophy.
Roberts is bought and paid for…by someone
Scalia has lost his mind re the 2nd…it’s the only one that says “Shall not be infringed”
The 3 Amiegets are blatent Marxists
Breyer is a lost commie
Kennedy wants his Mommy…afraid to make a decision
Justice Thomas is the only True Constitutionalist
Even Alito is not true to the Founders.
I think there needs to be a test….can you read?….what does “shall not be infringed” mean?
Damn, I’m mentally ranting again…
III/0317

dirtengineer on March 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I hereby rule the government to be illegal.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM

When the Senate cannot perform its Constitutionally mandated duty to produce a budget for over four years, why should any citizen follow the law?

I think a lot of this started with the implementation of the 55 MPH speed limit; that turned most of the nation into willful lawbreakers.

AZfederalist on March 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Again borrowing from Heinlein, there should be one house of Congress that does nothing but repeal laws.

AZfederalist on March 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

…I am a criminal!
…and proud of it!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Wildcat72 hit a homerun with his Heinlein quote.

8D

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke.

My favorite Science Fiction authors. All Grandmasters.

I know kids today that not only never read books (and probably can’t) and consider the 1980′s such an ancient time that not even movies from that era are relevant.

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

The guy only forgot to eat a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun. THEN there would be hell to pay.

Myron Falwell on March 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

The permits are what get me. On one hand I understand safety concerning, but on the other hand, it’s clearly a money racket. A permit to film?

Logus on March 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke.

My favorite Science Fiction authors. All Grandmasters.

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I agree, and would add P.K. Dick, William Gibson, and Anton Chekhov.

I’m reading CS Lewis’s space trilogy right now, and want to read Demons by Dostoyevsky next.

But I’m just an ignorant, fat, white, olde, bigot, racist, homophobe, rube.

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

But I’m just an ignorant, fat, white, olde, bigot, racist, homophobe, rube.

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

CS Lewis is another of my favorites. Along with Tolkein, Eddings, and others.

My 8th grade science teacher got me hooked on Asimov back in 1985 by loaning me her copies of “I, Robot” and “Foundation”. He is my favorite author of all time, mostly because I discovered that NO MATTER WHAT I ever got interested in at the library, from history to astronomy to space travel, to science fiction, HE had a book in the classification. My favorite book on the Byzantine Empire was written by him. I believe Asimov to be probably the most well rounded author who ever lived.

And he was a man who fled tyranny in the USSR at a young age for America.

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Mandatory sunset periods on all new laws??

redshirt on March 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I love the space trilogy. That Hideous Strength was my favorite, but love them all. You’re obviously not ignorant.

;)

pannw on March 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

;)

pannw on March 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

That Hideous Strength is terrifying! I’m a big fan of Perelandra. I love the conversations with Ransom, The Unman (Professor Weston), and Tinidril

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

How many of you clean dog poop off of your lawn? How much of it does not belong to your dog?

Ever had to step around someone else’s loogie on the sidewalk? Wonder how small kids might fare avoiding the jiggly green?

Nearly every law mentioned in the flick resulted from some libertarian asserting over and over his or her right to do whatever is currently legal for him or her to do — and annoying their neighbors to the point where one of them says “There oughta be a law…” — and then there is.

unclesmrgol on March 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM

In New York City, it is the law that, when you take your LION for a walk on the public sidewalks, you must have a servant walking 100 feet in front of the lion, carrying a red lantern and shouting, “LION! LION!” to warn pedestrians of your approach.

Jus’ sayin’.

Solaratov on March 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If I recall correctly, it’s only illegal in New Jersey at some of the beaches, because that’s where you’re most likely to drive barefoot, get caught, and pay a fine.

The Rogue Tomato on March 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The Rogue Tomato on March 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

When I was a teenager, it was also illegal in Virginia to drive barefoot.

I asked about it one time, and was told that it was because you couldn’t apply enough pressure to the brake pedal to stop in an emergency with a bare foot.

This was, of course, before power brakes were standard on everything.

Solaratov on March 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM

With all these BS laws popping up, respect for the law in general is going to toilet. People will just get fed up and do what they want and F the man.

Iblis on March 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Jus’ sayin’.

Solaratov on March 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Seems to me that Obama needs a similar warning to passersby wherever he goes…

Midas on March 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I just cut the tags off all of my mattresses! HA! HA! Catch me if you can!

hip shot on March 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I’ll bet Chief Just-Us Benedict Roberts broke dozens of laws in just a couple of minutes by swearing in Dictator / Boss Ogabe… twice.

viking01 on March 12, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Meh.

1. A good many of those laws are reasonable.
2. It should have been one continuous take. “15 seconds” is meaningless if you cheat and cut from scene to scene.

Bat Chain Puller on March 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Bat Chain Puller on March 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM

You’re part of the problem.

beatcanvas on March 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Every law should have an “expiration clause” which would force it to be revisited every so often. Maybe like the census…every 10 years.

And of course, term limits would help considerably with legislators being concerned with the job they were sent to do rather than lining their pockets. Somewhat.

My current favorite term limit idea is two terms: One in office and one in prison.

ProfShadow on March 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM

PBS ran a mini series in 2011 called Prohibition. It was all about the 18th amendment. The most striking to me was that they said prior to Prohibition, Americans were people who respected and followed the law. That’s why the prohibitionists thought it would work. Prohibition turned everyone into a criminal. Respect for the law never returned to the level it enjoyed before.

Odysseus on March 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Bishop on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If you’ve ever seen a bad car crash with all the broken glass lying around, that might give you a hint. Still, I don’t think it should be a law, it should be common sense.

Odysseus on March 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

You’re part of the problem.

beatcanvas on March 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Good grief. I criticize a mediocre, lazy video that missed an opportunity to slam a great point home.

And now I’m “part of the problem.”

Bat Chain Puller on March 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Odysseus on March 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM

It also caused the explosion of organized crime, and corrupt union practices.
And, I argue that prohibition was a “shiney object” shown at the hard core religious types that took their eyes off of the “progressive” agenda that was developing at that time.

gonnjos on March 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Too funny, I used your quote and the video on FB and FB linked Ayn Rand to Rand Paul.

Fallon on March 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Which is all very interesting, because I’m pretty sure that the legitimate and law-abiding citizens who would largely be paying these taxes, are not the ones responsible for gun violence. Why is it, exactly, that the responsible people who take it upon themselves to bear arms — creating positive externalities in the effort — need to be deterred or punished?

Maybe, maybe not. I believe the statistics for firearms out there will quickly drop from 300 million to something much smaller as people will not be self-reporting.

The govt wants to turn us all into criminals.

freedomfirst on March 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Like I said yesterday…they’re turning us into criminals.

freedomfirst on March 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I thought he was going to break them all in a continuous 33 seconds. Disappointed.

LoganSix on March 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Still, I don’t think it should be a law, it should be common sense.

Odysseus on March 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Common sense is a commodity sorely lacking in many people. That’s why we have liberals — and libertarians and anarchists.

We need someone to make dribbly feel-good laws, and others to make still other laws necessary.

unclesmrgol on March 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM

It could only come from Ham. Nothing else to say about that.

What is the point of showing this video? With the exception of 1 or maybe 2 frivolous laws shown, the rest are very reasonable.

What am I missing here?

metroryder on March 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Bat Chain Puller on March 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM

You’re part of the problem.

beatcanvas on March 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

No, he’s right. Most of the laws are very reasonable and the violations affect the quality of our lives. I don’t care that a bunch of yahoos who do not live in the state disagree with them.

Blake on March 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

wildcat72 on March 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Proud to be one of the few who doesn’t think that movies and literature began when he was born. BTW, check out the Baen Free Library for some great old sci-fi, all indeed free!

Also I recommend the old disaster movie Towering Inferno…terrifyingly plausible and doubly scary after 9/11.

MelonCollie on March 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

If you break the big laws, you get all the little laws.

BubbaCluck on March 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Yay. I want to walk through urine on the streets with crowds of drinkers blasting Insane Clown Posse or whatever.

Yes, there are way to many laws and way to many idiot nanny-staters out there. In the same way that the majority of lawyers give the rest a bad name, this does not mean that every law is unnecessary, or that the making of laws is automatically A Bad Thing. We need lawyers, and we need laws. And if you don’t know better than to piss on the wall of the bank downtown, then we’ll need an actual law so that the police can come along and politely ask you to refrain.

As noted above, I’m sure this is actually a rich vein, and yet the video seems to have completely struck out.

TexasDan on March 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

How to break 15 laws in 33 seconds

This is why we need the deth penalty!!! This rampant lawlessness must be stopped!!! LOL!!!

patch on March 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I have to agree with you on some of those 15 laws illustrated, such as littering, loud music and public urination. Going beyond quality of life, they are for public health and safety concerns as well, if any are bothered to be enforced, that is. Unless you don’t mind at all an environment rife with the sight of litter, the fragrant aroma of urine and ear piercing, earth thumping noise some people erroneously call music.

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You can add the pungent aroma of pot wafting in the air you breathe with legalization of marijuana in some places and the inclination of pot heads publicly toking nearby, and the foul stench that permeates their clothes and bodies afterwards.

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

If you break the big laws, you get all the little laws.

And it makes liberal pols self satisfied that they’ve “done something” to address certain behavior, even if there is no practical way some laws can actually be enforced effectively. Law enforcement has better things to do.

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Noise ordinance; littering, jaywalking; public urination; stealing wifi; pirating music….

A lot of these ‘thou shalt nots’ are public safety or common courtesy concerns, and I don’t have a problem with most of ‘em.

Sorry, X,Y, or M slackers, but this is buzzfeed is buzz killed.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

no fireworks? meh, not impressed.

lacerta on March 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

ear piercing, earth thumping noise some people erroneously call music.

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’ll have to admit that’s one area I agree with some having laws. I’ve been in traffic with a car nearby thumping their subwoofer so dam loud the vibrations give me an instant headache – even with my windows rolled up and my own music playing. I’ve been very tempted to shoot those people – so a law that can get them ticketed is a valid compromise in my view.

dentarthurdent on March 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I have no problem with any of these laws except the frisbee on the beach one (it is California).
These laws are designed to keep public places decent and enjoyable..
Dopeheads, people unrinating in public, gambling in public, blaring loud music in public etc. all need a nightstick shampoo from Officer Friendly and a few days as a guest of the county.
By the way, you get hit by a car jaywalking forget about collecting. However with any luck Darwin may give you and award.

Not all laws are bad as the libertarians wish you to believe. They serve to protect if written properly and enforced with common sense.
What is bad, criminal really, is the endless legislation that makes them and the lack of review of them a fixed time into the future.

Lame video.

Bubba Redneck on March 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Well, good luck getting any enforcement from Officer Friendly, if you habituate a leftist run city. The ACLU and its ilk have pretty much neutered the Officer Friendlys from even threatening to use a nightstick let alone actually make contact on a deserving noggin and are rarely to be seen if at all, and when they are, generally ignoring much of that behavior when such activity occurs.

Oh, and in some places, yes, a friendly judge in collusion with a shyster lawyer and sympathetic jury, that jaywalker, or her/his survivors can collect in some places.

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM

One of my jury calls (not selected for the jury) was for a civil suit for wrongful death. The family of the deceased (Darwin candidate in my view) was suing a delivery truck driver who hit and killed the guy – who was drunk, walking down the middle of an icy downhill sloping road, in the middle of the night wearing all dark clothing. I never heard the results, but the family’s lawyer dismissed every jury candidate with any concept of calculating or evaluating time / distance / speed, and stopping distance, etc.

dentarthurdent on March 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Its a shame, but jurors who show any outward signs of inquisitiveness, intelligence, thought,reason and education are most certain to be dismissed by the plaintiff’s lawyer. What they want is as many dumb and gullible shlubs as possible who they can persuade to be sympathetic to the victim, eager to reward regardless of who’s fault any injury or damage really is.

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

hawkeye54 on March 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Ya – that was exactly what was happening. I would have voted to kill the lawsuit if I had gotten on the jury – and I had already decided that just from the initial summary by the judge to the whole jury pool on what the case was about.
In fact, if given the opportunity, I would have told the family the only thing they deserved to get was a Darwin Award.

dentarthurdent on March 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM