Sequester, schmequester: Party at the White House!

posted at 4:26 pm on March 11, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Last week, I wondered if perhaps the Obama administration would consider factor the optics of the decision to cancel White House tours for the public into their upcoming decisions about the executives’ leisure activities, and whether they’d tone them down a little due to the extra security and funds that they require.

Evidently not.

Not only do they have every intention of going forward with forward with their Martha’s Vineyard vacation this summer nor any plans for curbing Obama’s golf outings, the First Lady is getting ready to throw herself the most amazing 50th birthday bash, evah. I wonder how much extra all of these “everyman” leisure activities are going to incur in security costs? HuffPo reports:

An unnamed (and potentially questionable) source told the UK’s Daily Mail that the first lady has asked Beyonce and Adele to perform at her party.

“America’s first lady will be holding a huge celebrity-packed party for her birthday at the White House next year and, as she adores Adele and Beyonce, she has asked them both to sing,” an unnamed source told The Daily Mail. “Adele has graciously accepted and waived her usual fee for the high-profile private performance. She will sing a selection of her most-loved hits for the first lady and her friends.”

You might be tempted to think that, with all they pain they’ve said these cuts are going to incur, and what with the ongoing economic “recovery” and the outsized number of Americans who still can’t find jobs, they’d make some effort to trim down displays of opulence as, at the very least, a smart PR move — but you would be wrong. And why should they, really? Nobody cares. They do what they want. And isn’t Michelle Obama just the coolest? She’s BFFs with Beyonce and Adele, for goodness’ sake!

Once more, with feeling: This is less about meaningfully saving money, more about the “Washington Monument strategy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

That’s because probably 95% of the population of DC PUBLIC schools are black or hispanic. Do you actually think the uber-elites of NW DC would send their spawn to co-mingle with the students from NE and SE DC? No. They send them to the private schools across the river in VA or to schools like Sidwell Friends, …….. you know, that school the Obama spawn attend?

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Gee, I wish I could have a birthday party, but economic circomstances forbid — sorry, but I digress.

unclesmrgol on March 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Indeed that was my post. I am surprised and a little appalled at the widespread use of the “tard” suffix by people who seem to idolize the Palins and have sympathy for their son. It was wrong when Rahman did it, and wrong when you do it, so I thought I’d underscore the irony on a way that any moron could understand. Of course, I’m dealing with someone who thinks that injecting the word “Dick-tator” into a discussion is somehow witty and/or articulate (what are you, 12 years old?) so I probably should have aimed a little lower.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I’d be curious to see the numbers on Minnesota and Michigan charter schools. In the mean time, I’d like to revise my comment to read simply “DC has a vibrant and growing charter school system”

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

How about admitting that you were wrong?

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Coming from a someone who used “hicks” is now complaining about standards?

Your double standards are astounding.

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM

And you have a fundamental misunderstanding of DC politics if you think my cadre of affluent, progressive white people are aligned with the teachers union or opposed Michelle Rhee and Mayor Fenty. We were their base. Sadly, their political skills were as terrible as their ideas were good, and they got bounced.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Ha ha ha. Obama took a hand in ousting them. Obama sided with the unions – of course. Yet you’re here to defend his lavish lifestyle while he decries the 1%ers.

gwelf on March 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Randall: as a DC parent, I have a pretty good grasp in where people send their children to school in DC ( hint: not in Virginia). I’m familiar with Sidwell, i have friends who went there and friends whose choldren have attended. It’s unclear why you’d expect anyone with the means to send heir children to an excellent nearby private school — though many affluent patents choose neighborhood public schools — to bus them across town to a public school that will provide a lesser education and an unfriendly environment.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I took “hicks” from the post I was responding to and meant it in a friendly way — again., too subtle for those who mine grievances for a hobby. I should have said
“Rural Americans”.

Stay bitter, my friend.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

How about admitting that you were wrong?

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ha!!! He’s a Lib-tard/turd. ’nuff said.

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

“Rural Americans”.

Stay bitter, my friend.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ok, I meant “libtard” in a friendly way, too.

You got offended because you have a very deficient mental capacity – I mean, just look at the numerous mistakes you have made in this thread.

Stay retarded, libtard.

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Ha!!! He’s a Lib-tard/turd. ’nuff said.

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

It’s a liberal’s nature. Never admit that they’re wrong (despite all the facts and evidence showing the contrary) and double-down on the idiocy.

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Actually, I think I just backed off my too-boosterish description of DC charter schools. I’ve yet to see any conservative on this site admit they were wrong even when confronted with hard facts — like Illinoisdivas mis characterization of the DC charter school enrollment.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I stand corrected: the New Orleans charter school movement is truly impressive. You are wildly incorrect if you think that black and brown children are somehow systematically excluded however: admission at oversubscribed schools is by lottery. According to the DC Charter School Board, 95% of the students in charter schools are black or Hispanic, 72% are low income. There are not now enough spaces, but the charter system continues to grow rapidly — now educating 41% of all DC public school students.

I saw “Waiting for Superman” and thought that it was pretty telling that the only child able to get into the charter school was the upper middle class girl from suburban California who had the state of the art public high school as her back-up. The producers clearly pulled strings to get the little boy into the DC charter school.

And about 100% of the parents in the DC school district would like their kids in charter schools. Of course, the unions would like no kids in charter schools.

Illinidiva on March 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Come on urban, you said the sequester would end by January 2014. I mean, how stupid are you?

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

urban elitist Lib-tard/turd, Uh huh, I am sure those hoity-toity residents west of Wisconsin Ave with the means to send their children to private schools would opt to send them to get the finest DC public school education at Woodrow Wilson H.S., right? The reality is that the “upper-crust” of DC elitism DO send their children to the private schools in MD and VA. Drive by the Potomac School in McLean and see what the majority of license plates are on the cars of children being dropped off. I’ll give you a hint, it’s not MD or VA. The fact is that those without the means to send their children to a private school across the river far outweigh those District residents who write the tuition check each month or semester for little Johnny or Sally to attend “fill in the blank” private school.

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Lib-tard, are you the same one who is always “revising” the unemployment numbers each month for dear Dick-tators regime?

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

how stupid are you?

sentinelrules on March 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Is that a rhetorical question?

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Yes: “fill in the blank” private schools like Sidwell, St.albans/NCS, Maret, Field (my son), Visitation and Gonzaga… I don’t know a single parent who lives in DC whose kids attended school in Virginia or Maryland. I’m sure there are some, but, frankly, on a pure status-seeking level, plus convenience, you’re looking at DC schools. Nothing beats dropping St. Albans or Sidwell into the conversation at a DC cocktail party.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Damn, what an ugly woman, and that grimacing fool of a husband !!

arand on March 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Oh I know!, I do it all the time! Snooty DC cocktail partys are sooooo my thing!! My faux-friends actually think I’m one of them! Ha ha!!! Oh won’t you please pass the bubbly, ……. you f-ing snob!!

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I do, on rare occasions, find myself at upscale cocktail parties for some reason or another. I assure you, the other attendees do not pretend to be my friend and I don’t claim to be theirs. I usually have a few drinks — never bubbly, alas — and head out as soon I have completed whatever social obligation drew me there in the first place.
My real friends and I tend to drink in far more proletarian environments. But attending the occasional upscale party/reception/fundraiser is a hazard of life in DC, like subway delays and aggressive homeless people.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Wasn’t aware the CPA was recruiting in DC.

RandallinHerndon on March 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The accountants? Or the Communists?

I love being called a commie. Makes me feel like I’m in some weird satire where the neighbors fat out Ward Cleaver — because, deep down, I am Ward Cleaver — is ratted out by the neighbors for jokingly quoting Chairman Mao at a barbecue.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

deep down, I am Ward Cleaver —

urban effetist on March 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Hugh Beaumont was a Methodist minister.

Del Dolemonte on March 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Because during the Obama years, my retirement savings have merely almost doubled……

urban elitist on March 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

…unemployment…
…gold…
Surely there’s no connection.

rogerb on March 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Are we still arguing about welfare recipients and pets?…

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Whoa. You really didn’t catch that it was linked to show your near-catastrophic misunderstanding of basic economics and flawed thinking regarding money and the value of a dollar? Not to mention for laughing at the pervasive low-info stereotype while noting Obama supporters either don’t know or care how/why the market could rally with unemployment and gold prices through the roof?

That’s hilarious. Well played. So which is it? Ignorance or indifference?

I thought I’d underscore the irony on a way that any moron could understand.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Indeed.

Obama 2013!

rogerb on March 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

LOL. New York’s Upper East Side a few weeks ago, now DC. Must be rough moving back and forth between your houses.

urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Well, that’s easy. As a liberal, you should want your child educated in a diverse, multi-color, multi-economic class educational setting by union teachers – not in the private schools that you and your Obama Party shriek are evil, white-bread, elitist, non-diverse, and non-union.

Furthermore, since you and your fellow liberals force parents without means to bus their children across districts to meet racial quotas, it’s only fair that you do the same.

Unless, of course, you would like to admit that busing students to lesser schools and unfriendly environments is actually HARMFUL to them and that you and your racist Obama Party have put racial quotas ahead of childrens’ educations for years.

northdallasthirty on March 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Which is fine for you. Not something that I actually am interested in experiencing.

Illinidiva on March 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Ignorance is still indignant. You represent it perfectly.

Schadenfreude on March 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ignorance is still indignant. You represent it perfectly.

Schadenfreude on March 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM

When someone recommends that I should move to the middle of nowhere, I have a perfect right to point out why there is no way in hell that I would.

Illinidiva on March 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Illinidiva on March 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

That right is secure.

The middle of nowhere is better off for it.

Schadenfreude on March 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

perfect right to point out why there is no way in hell that I would.

Illinidiva on March 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

The point of the entire discussion – you could exercise that right without insulting millions of people, alas.

Schadenfreude on March 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I wonder if bow-wow will be on the menu?

trs on March 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Well, some of my best friends are hicks and I’m desparate to get out the country, get some mud on my shoes and amuse myself far from the nearest subway stop. SO, you can revile me for my politics but not that particualr prejudice.
urban elitist on March 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Oh, glad to hear it. Sorry for taking your user name and general attitudes for granted and lumping you in with a post primarily meant to address the Chicago Romneybot.

LegendHasIt on March 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

They should be ashamed. Sacrifice should start at the top. Set an example BO.

johnnyU on March 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Aspertame should be banned. How can people get fat drinking supposed diet drinks? Sort of means they aren’t diet drinks now doesnt it? Wheres the lawsuit for THAT?!

johnnyU on March 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

oops wrong thread. sorry.

johnnyU on March 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

triple on March 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Actually it’s in the link itself, but why report that? Why let little things like facts get in the way of a gotcha story?

The source added: ‘The Obamas will pay Adele’s expenses as it’s a private party, not a State one.’

triple on March 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

ISo does anyone care that this is a private party funded directly by the Obamas, and not the American taxpayer – as it’s not a state dinner? No? Okay, carry on.

triple on March 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM

You’re right, damn it!

Why can’t the Obama’s party without all of us peasants harping on them.

It’s not like the rest of us are watching our pennies, or doing without, as long as Mooch & the Bamster are happy, all is well with the world.

Barf…

ccrosby on March 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM

triple on March 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM

And where do the Obama’s get their money?

From the taxpayers.

Besides, the Obamas are a horrendous lot.

Defending that is indefensible.

Sherman1864 on March 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM

And where is the party to be held? No. The Obamas are not paying for any party.

Meanwhile, a sordid episode of dancing with the ‘tards continues.

Sherman1864 on March 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

triple on March 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

You fool, you tiny gnat-mind, you missed the entire point of the thread – that in Obama-initiated-sequester times it w/b a good example for the King/Antoinette to cool it down a tad. Eleanor Roosevel wants to have a word with you.

Gosh, you are stupid!

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Roosevelt

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM

May Obama can invite those cute kids that made a video begging him to let them do their tour…

Photo-op for Barry’s next ‘see I care, it’s the Rebubs who hate ya’ll’ propaganda media outlet Monday morning lead line…

RalphyBoy on March 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

White House cuts off tours for the common people, but retains $277,000 (annually) calligraphy staff.

TV station uses computer & printer to imitate White House calligrapher’s work: