Jeb Bush: Media focus on 2016 presidential race like “crack addicts”

posted at 8:41 am on March 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

It’s difficult to argue with Jeb Bush on this point, too.  We only just finished the 2012 presidential election, which occupied most of 2011, too.  Appearing on Meet the Press yesterday, David Gregory asked Bush to handicap the 2016 election while we’re still 20 months away from the next midterms. After laughing out loud, Bush described the media as “crack addicts“:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), growing tired about speculation over a 2016 White House run and his relationship with one-time protégé Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), called the media a bunch of “crack addicts.”

“Man you guys are crack addicts. You really are obsessed with all these politics. Marco Rubio is a great guy,” Bush told NBC’s David Gregory, after the “Meet the Press” host asked him about who is Florida’s hottest politician.

Gregory was momentarily taken aback.

“Sir, I’ve been called a lot of things…” Gregory began before Bush amended his response.

“OK, heroin addict. Is that better?” Bush said.

Earlier, Bush dismissed the idea that the American public might have Bush fatigue, and insisted that history would treat his father and brother well:

When asked whether the legacy of his brother, former President George W. Bush, who has a higher unfavorable than favorable rating, would be a liability, Bush said no.

“I don’t think there’s any Bush baggage at all. I love my brother. I’m proud of his accomplishments. I love my dad. I’m proud to be a Bush and if I run for president it’s not because of something in my DNA that compels me to do it,” Bush said on “Fox News Sunday” after host Chris Wallace cited a poll showing the former president with a 49 percent unfavorable rating.

“It would be that it’s the right the thing to do for my family, that the conditions are right and that I have something to offer,” he added.

Bush took his name out of consideration in the lead-up to the 2012 Republican presidential primary. He has kept his name in the mix this year, however, and people close to him say he is considering the prospect of a White House campaign much more closely than before the last election cycle.

Sounds as though the media aren’t the only addicts in play here.  On paper, minus the surname, Bush makes an excellent candidate — very popular in an enormously important swing state, three successful terms as governor, and a national profile.  Regardless, that surname identifies Bush with an older establishment that is evaporating in the GOP.  Whether that’s fair or not, it’s not easy to see how Bush can make an argument that he represents a newer Republican Party that wants to look forward to a new leadership group.

Comments

“OK, heroin addict. Is that better?” Bush said.

Did Gregory hurl his high capacity magazine at Bush?

locomotivebreath1901 on March 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Not a chance.

MTF on March 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Jeb Bush: Media focus on 2016 presidential race like “crack addicts”

Yeh – and you’re the dealer

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Gregory was momentarily taken aback.

“OK, heroin addict. Is that better?” Bush said.

I can’t see any effort or intent in my future to ever vote for someone who speaks like that.

That goes for David Gregory and Jeb Bush.

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

And any Republican who supports you in 2016 is
ingesting Bath Salts.

ToddPA on March 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Jeb Bush, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, doing their best to ruin the Republican Party as thoroughly as possible.

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Go away, Jeb.

Pork-Chop on March 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Stop blowing air up his ass Ed. You have to be against Bush. Terrible candidate in every which way.

Flapjackmaka on March 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I’ll vote for Ralph Nader (again) before I vote for Bush (again).

Jeddite on March 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

RINO’s focus on the Bush family like crack addicts.

bgibbs1000 on March 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I’ll vote for Ralph Nader (again) before I vote for Bush (again).

Jeddite on March 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I was thinking Perot. He’s still kickin’, isn’t he?

Fallon on March 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

As if 2016 is the farthest thing from Jeb’s mind. As if he has never thought about it.

Wipe that look off your face, Jeb. It doesn’t look good on you. It looks disingenuous. And it reveals more than you intended.

It would have been better to make your point some other way. Only Dems and socialists can get away with such mendacity.

farsighted on March 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

The only Bush I want to see in the White House is John Bolton’s stache.

fogw on March 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Throw your hat in the ring, Jeb, and you’ll find out just how much of a liability your name really is.

It would take quite a bit for the right to go full-on revolt making Perot look like Bob Barr.

SAMinVA on March 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Bush fatigue isn’t the right term…it’s friggin’ Bush Exhaustion

Bush Debilitation

Bush Prostration

Slade73 on March 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I don’t think there’s any Bush baggage at all…….

THAT statement alone puts you at odds with about 65% of the country Mr. BUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH.

The Crown Prince will not be satisfied until he assumes his rightful place on the throne of the gop so you all might as well get ready for it. He’s NOT going to be denied. If he is not on the ticket in either spot in 2016 there will be HELL TO PAY for whomever the nominee might be.

And these statements about Rubio are definitely intended to send a message to him publicly. This will be fun to watch.

PappyD61 on March 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yeh – and you’re the dealer

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Crack addicts.. says the guy who was on six TV programs yesterday totally discussing about how he wasn’t running for President.

Flapjackmaka on March 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Agreed… Jeb Bush running may very well mean that Marco Rubio may not run.

Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I’m finding it irritating as all get-out how Jeb Bush and ~other politicians~ make these broadcasts, conduct these interviews, so-called, from the Reagan Library.

It’s like they’re making a journey to some shrine or something to some pagan idol and from there, they make their presence known to the pawns beneath…and are careful to always let it be known they’re “a.t….t.h.e…..r.e.a.g.a.n….l.i.b.r.a.r.y…”

The worst ones also have photos taken at same. Complete with captions. About same.

I really doubt that Ronald Reagan would ever find this tolerable.

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Jeb Bush running may very well mean that Marco Rubio may not run.

Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

You mean Me-and-Mini-Me?

I can’t tell the difference…

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Also, the whole rollout really sucked.. The immigration flip flop was badly handled and he name checked Lindsay Graham two three days after Graham and McCain went after Rand Paul.

Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hey moron, more than handful of the people you want to vote for you are “fixated” on 2016, too. We want the real Conservatives out there providing counterpoint to Obuggerme right now. But hey, you just keep testing the waters -dipping your gouty toes in the shallow end.

Hashtag this idiot as #nowaynincompoop

M240H on March 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

You mean Me-and-Mini-Me?

I can’t tell the difference…

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

One is a charismatic politician and wonderful speaker of Cuban descent… The other’s claim to fame is that his daddy and brother were president.

Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Agreed… Jeb Bush running may very well mean that Marco Rubio may not run.
Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Highly doubt Rubio would defer to his lesser. They’ll both run and Bush gets trounced.

Flapjackmaka on March 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

“I don’t think there’s any Bush baggage at all. I love my brother. I’m proud of his accomplishments. I love my dad. I’m proud to be a Bush and if I run for president it’s not because of something in my DNA that compels me to do it”

Translation -

“I don’t think my family has baggage because I love them”.

or in other words

“If you want to talk actual history, I’m going to talk about my feelings”

Great. JebEmo Bush.

budfox on March 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Firstly Jebediah. No OK, thanks

Talk of 2016 this early is great even if only to remind Obama that he is yesterday’s news. It further weakens his hand plus I am sure it must really stick in his craw.

Never too early to push him out the news.

can_con on March 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I actually like Jeb Bush slightly more for verbally slapping the media like this.

I still don’t see myself coming out to vote for him, though, since I have yet to see signs that he’d be willing to take a scythe to our vampirish obese federal government and try to avoid the train wreck that we all know is coming. (I bet the GOP moderates will be pointing at interviews like this and going, “But this is EXACTLY the kind of smashmouth crap you conservatives WANTED! You right-wing nuts need to grow the hell up and vote for Bush Number Three!”)

Aitch748 on March 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Jackoff Jeb!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

So Jeb thinks the media are crack addicts, but he’s on their TV set aiding them? Why else would anyone care what Jeb Bush has to say if it weren’t in the context of a presidential ambition?

SuperBunny on March 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

That is why we need a TRUE Conservative to lead the GOP.

Palin 2016

ChuckTX on March 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

You mean Me-and-Mini-Me?

I can’t tell the difference…

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Rubio is a Jeb Bush protege, a Bush family protege. The tale being told of late, that Rubio is somehow competing with Jeb Bush (for political office, power, prestige, attention, support, whatever) is just political posturing, it’s one of those political tales told to try and engender intrigue and get the attention off the reality. And that reality is: Rubio is a Bush family protege.

He’s not likely to do much differently, politically, than Jeb Bush or the Bush family encourages or wants.

I like George W., former President Bush, voted for him, don’t get me wrong, but the nation has had it’s fill of that rendition of government and the GOP, especially, needs a new, fresh start. Rubio isn’t that.

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

“I don’t think there’s any Bush baggage at all.”

There you have it. The establishment Republicans’ main problem. Unbelievable denial.

rjh on March 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

As far as the media being obsessed with future electons, both
2014 and 2016, so are many voters.

We count the years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and
seconds until the Obama thug regime is out of office.

That is not addiction; that is concern for the direction the
country is headed.

Amjean on March 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Flapjackmaka on March 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Ed is an establishment Republican and until he receives an email with different marching orders from RNC Headquarters, he will be pushing Jeb.

bw222 on March 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Also, it is not so much “Bush baggage”, it is “Rino baggage”.

Many of us started noticing when Bush was in his second term.
I liked Bush for the most part, however, he didn’t stand up to
the lefties; he didn’t alert anyone. And if he didn’t want to
take on the hard job, he could have had others do it for him
on all the media outlets.

Also, this ten year war just makes me cringe. What a waste
of both human and economic resources.

Amjean on March 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM

DEAL WITH THIS

I spoke to a former illegal alien and a friend Latino about Governor Bush and the whole issue.

Former President Reagan did an amnesty and didn’t that solve the problem?

While the media is shining the lime light on “what we should GIVE to people here illegally, has anyone thought about what we will be doing in 20 years when we have another 15 million illegals hers?

Secure the border? LOL

Who are you kidding? If we built the best wall in history…and we will not…the migration will continue to slip in.

I lived on the Gulf. I volunteered on the Gulf.

Paul Revere — remember him? One if by land two if by sea! They will slip through checkpoints and use boats and they will have a powerbase here to help.

Stop the illegals? Yea. Like we stop the drugs. LOL

IlikedAUH2O on March 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Don’t forget Karl Rove and all the “GOP Strategists” like Ed Gillespie, Mike Murphy, Kevin Madden, Alex Castellanos, Margaret Hoover, Nicolle Wallace and Steve ScHmIdT.

bw222 on March 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Fools! You think they are going to stop coming? Because of a stupid wall?

The illegal I spoke to, and cleaned my carpets with, over two days — he CAME from Jamiaca!

The Latino agreed that there is no stopping the influx and they will just change tactics as time goes by.

I have a message to anyone who wants to break the trajectory of the 2012 election.

Enforce the law.

Round them up and send them back.

Get a national ID Card.

Buy off the libs with using the card for some of their goals.

IlikedAUH2O on March 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Rubio is a Jeb Bush protege, a Bush family protege.

Nice meme bro.

PALIN/WEST 2016!!

Flapjackmaka on March 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

USE economics and technology to send them back in a humane way.

I just happen to have technical ideas from some genius inventor.

IlikedAUH2O on March 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Judas Goat?

Governor Jeb Bush should have noted that the whole citizenship issue is a red herring since, without the enforcement of voter ID, they will all be voting anyway.

Second thought, he may have thought of this so withholding citizenship is just a way to get the Republican sheepie to pass amnesty.

IlikedAUH2O on March 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

The only Bush I want to see in the White House is John Bolton’s stache.

fogw on March 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I love it.

Seriously, Jeb is unelectable. He may be a moderates dream, and I’ll vote for him if I have to, but he’d get beat 65% to 35% if he were to run. Imagine trying to drum up enthusiasm for his candidacy.

BuckeyeSam on March 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Methinks he has reasons to be sensitive, e.g. Gregory the Giggler…

Drained Brain on March 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I am going to write to Fox one of these days and ask to be programmed against Meet the Press.

I want to call the show Meet Reality .

IlikedAUH2O on March 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Flapjackmaka on March 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

We can always hope.

Lourdes on March 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Rubio is exactly what the Republican Party needs in terms of messaging. He is young, fluent in new media, an A+ level communicator. He has an interesting personal story.

Illinidiva on March 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I don’t want to be thinking about 2016, yet. We have midterms to deal with.

When the time to think about 2016 arrives, I say no more Bush’s. No more Clinton’s, either.

There are 310 million people in this country. Lets show a little creativity.

trigon on March 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

A point of correction:

TWO terms as governor. FL has term limits. Jeb was elected in 1998 and re-elected in 2002. He lost narrowly to Lawton Chiles in 1994.

crushliberalism on March 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Wrong line of attack on the media, you paunchy twit. And you backtracked even off of that.

And if you had any more baggage you’d need your own plane.

rrpjr on March 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Jeb Bush is aching to be president because his brother and his father were both presidents. It’s really that simple.

His statement ” …there is no Bush baggage.” simply makes him the King of Denial.

Try “Read my lips… no new taxes.” or “Compassionate conservatism” ( which, from the moment it was uttered made it clear that the Bush family view conservatives as something other than compassionate)… or “Heckuva job Brownie” and the dismal economic condition the nation was in when G.W. Bush left office to name only a few… but the biggest, most overwhelming piece of ‘Bush baggage’ is that the Bush family have attempted to turn a political career and family connections into a family business… a dynasty.

From the founding of this nation we have rejected aristocracy, the formation of family dynasties and dynastic rule, despite the concerted efforts of monied families both on the left and the right. The presidential tenure of the Bush family members were not so stellar that the nation would leap to elect still another of them.

There is, in fact, enough ‘Bush baggage’ to send Jeb packing.

thatsafactjack on March 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Unlike the hip, new socons.

heh

Moesart on March 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

More important to represent competence than new republican leadership. Bush has always been a competent campaigner unlike the last two republican presidential nominees. Better than Rand Paul.

philrat on March 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

America would have been well served by a Jeb Bush presidency from 2001 to 2009. We didn’t get it. We got W. Oh well. We don’t need to install them as royalty now.

BocaJuniors on March 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If the GOP is dumb enough to nominate another Bush even I will stop supporting them. And I have a disabled child who really needs to have Obummercare rolled back or cancelled.

sherrimae on March 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM