posted at 11:01 am on March 10, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

I don’t think he’s quite getting it.

It’s not that McCain disagreed with Rand Paul; it’s the way he and Graham went about it. Republicans finally scored a major, compelling, epic GOP PR victory that got millions to tune in while they pointed out the excesses of the Obama administration, and McCain and Graham just had to immediately and rather nastily rain on everybody’s parade. Being intellectually honest with himself isn’t the problem here — it’s that it came in the form of a tactless political buzzkill. Says Chris Stirewalt:

Paul got the president to rein in his attorney general’s claim of executive authority to kill American citizens on American soil without trial. At a moment when Americans, especially liberals and young voters, are growing increasingly uneasy with Obama’s drone wars and kill lists, Paul forced Obama to yield.

The next day, though, Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham arrived, like parents who discovered a raucous party had been going on while they were away and scolded Paul. McCain and Graham had been at dinner with the drone warrior president while Paul was filibustering and they did not at all like what he had been up to.

Rather than do what other moderates and hawks had done and let Paul have his moment whilst gently reminding their constituents that killing bad guys was very important, McCain and Graham mocked and derided Paul and his supporters.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

ADELE, BEYONCE TO PERFORM AT MICHELLE’S 50TH:
albill on March 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Sequester or something.

Midas on March 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Lets just avert our eyes, clear the throat a couple of times and walk on.

[MTF on March 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM]

“He is a loathsome, offensive brute, and yet I can’t look away.”

Dusty on March 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

McCain is the GOP leadership that’s being bucked.

beatcanvas on March 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

ADELE, BEYONCE TO PERFORM AT MICHELLE’S 50TH:
albill on March 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Sequester or something.

Midas on March 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Oh whoop-dee-poop!

You think they’ll broadcast it live on pay-per-view, with the proceeds going to the “Save The White House Tours” Fund?

pilamaye on March 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

“I was going to vote against Brennan, until the filibuster,” Graham, of South Carolina, said Thursday. “I thought Brennan was arrogant, a bit shifty. I am going to vote for Brennan now because it’s become a referendum on the drone program.”

Reminds one of Newt’s alleged hissy fit about having to sit in the back of Clinton’s Air Force One.

Wethal on March 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Typical elitist, good ‘ole boy…. he DOESN’T get it, will NEVER get it, doesn’t WANT to get it, and just needs to go away. He has evolved into a useless, career, politician that thinks he knows better than his constituents he allegedly represents, and considers himself a legend in his own mind. He needs to go away ! Thanks AZ.

ultracon on March 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Graham: I wanted to play for the team, but you made me bat ninth so I’m taking my ball and going home.

McCain: GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!

RadClown on March 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

and that goes for Grahamnesty as well………….

ultracon on March 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Memo to John “Sometimes, a douche bag is just a douche bag” McCain:

You can scream “They’re takin’ our Jerbs!” all you want. No one is listening!

Jack Deth on March 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

McCain and Graham were cowards in the way they argued. They had thirteen hours to civilly and respectfully debate Paul during the filibuster, yet they chose to cut and run to the media outside, to bitch, complain, insult their fellow member of the Republican Party.

Further, they then conspired to frag him before normal order early the next morning, McCain even being too lazy to craft his own argument but instead using an editorial from the WSJ, replete with insults, to do it.

Neither McCain nor Graham are honorable men.

Dusty on March 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Resist We Much on March 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM…awesome!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

This sounds like anything EXCEPT a competent Senator representing the people of his state!

This sounds like a spoiled brat who is going to get even by holding his breath until his face turns blue and his head explodes and then everyone will be sorry and etc etc etc…

pilamaye on March 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This mummified “maverick” should be a full time tour guide at the Hanoi Hilton.

vilebody on March 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

pilamaye on March 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I always hope that harry red will do that. It’s the only way.

VegasRick on March 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

(Second attempt to post comment in order to avoid word pre-clearance rules.)

McCain and Graham were cowards in the way they argued. They had thirteen hours to civilly and respectfully debate Paul during the filibuster, yet they chose to cut and run to the media outside, to b!tch, complain, insult their fellow member of the Republican Party.

Neither McCain nor Graham are honorable men.

Dusty on March 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

McCain: GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!

RadClown on March 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

…I don’t care what either one does in the future…one was ‘dead to me’ anyway…Lay-Down Lindsey is a syphilitic prostitute pandering politician who pissed away any hope I had for him!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

No. You were always just skewed.

Blaise on March 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

We tried to warn you RINO people about the Rinos. Look what the Rinos have done to us.

Just look.

SparkPlug on March 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Jebbie is in the on deck circle…

vilebody on March 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Oh boo hoo. Thin skinned Hanoi Hilton McCain.

Maybe McCain should take an anger management course.

Maybe McCain should buy an assault AR-15 rifle, a model 1911 handgun, and a few high capacity magazines like Gabby Giffords’ husband Mark E. Kelly reportedly just did in AZ.

Maybe McCain should retire and just drink free Cindy Beer.

Stef.

stefanslaw on March 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Dammit, Graham is one of my senators. And DeMint’s gone (sigh), although we have Tim Brown. Graham is such a turd. I sure hope he gets primaried leading up to 2014. He is a lackey of McCranky Pants, and that’s it. He certainly does not serve the interests of my state.

Graham disgraced himself when had a hissy fit about Paul’s filibuster. Petulant, prickly and pissy — all in one fell swoop.

Rand Paul has guts. Graham has no nutz.

Conservchik on March 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Retire, Senator McCracked. You’ve outlived your usefulness to the dems as a tool.

Conservchik on March 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

And Adele is doing it for free. Remember when everyone was sure she was conservative b/c she complained about paying high taxes?

Shouldn’t the Obamas be required to declare her performance as a gift and pay taxes on it whether she waives her fee or not?

Blake on March 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don’t know if it means anything. Mick Fleetwood is a lib and he said he’d be happy to play for free at Bush’s inauguration.

Walter Sobchak on March 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Lindsay Graham (def.): tool, petulant, arrogant, whiny . . .

Conservchik on March 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Jeb Bush (def.): rich Bushie, tool for the left.

Conservchik on March 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

“McCain: When I buck GOP leadership, I’m a maverick; now I’m suddenly an “angry old man””
Don’t worry John, to me you’ll always be “just a dick.”

NotEasilyFooled on March 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Yep, he’s a perpetual turd product of defecation that McCracked strains out every single time. I’m sad Ayotte threw in with those two.

‘Lay-Down Lindsey’ is a spot-on description of Graham.

Conservchik on March 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

If there is a hijacked plane headed for DC I say give it a wide berth.

trs on March 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Via Instapundit

ELEPHANTS NEVER FORGET:

Hmmm…still holds a grudge against Bush?

bluealice on March 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Oh good grief..Try the link again

bluealice on March 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

If there is a hijacked plane headed for DC I say give it a wide berth.

trs on March 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I’d say give em the best route in.

arnold ziffel on March 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

You are the GOP John. It’s the Constitution you are bucking. Spelled with a “b” John?

Ufdaubet on March 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I don’t think he’s quite getting it.

And he never will.

rrpjr on March 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Wethal on March 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Good grief again. Should have read all the comments before posting.
Mom always said to listen before talking.

bluealice on March 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM

“He is a loathsome, offensive brute, and yet I can’t look away.”

Dusty on March 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

That says it so much better!

MTF on March 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Sen. McLame never fails to disappoint

Koa on March 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Senator, don’t go away mad, just go away.

TulsAmerican on March 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Sorry, John…
I’ve supported you and cut you a lot of slack, for reasons which – in retrospect – probably weren’t the best.
But, no more. After your latest ‘performance’, I find it impossible to see you as anything other than an angry, bitter old man…desperately trying to hold on to your power (such as it is) and relevance. And, I see that – in order to do that – you are willing – even eager – to crap all over your Republican colleagues, bend over for (as opposed to “reach across the aisle” to) the democrats who want to destroy this country and reduce its people to no more than serfs; and leave the American people twisting in the wind, at the mercy of the whims of a narcissistic spoiled child with delusions of grandeur and despotism.
Your day is done, John. We appreciate your service and sacrifice…but you can’t eat out on your record any longer. Not on our dime.
Go home. Write a book. Take long walks with your wife and dog. Enjoy the rest of your days.
Or we’ll donate to whomever primaries you and you’ll finish your career mired in defeat…but it will finish your career.

Solaratov on March 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

If there is a hijacked plane headed for DC I say give it a wide berth.

trs on March 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I was thinking the SAME thing when he was griping to Shep Smith. Let it burn!

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on March 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Shut up, Mav!

vityas on March 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I disagree. It’s both. We have no reason to trust this administration or any other. This one in particular is untrustworthy.

Paul is correct to be worried. Janet Incompetano laid the groundwork for declaring certain groups of US citizens terrorists. Once the government does that, it’s open season on us.

As I have before, I would like to remind everyone that up until now, no one would have believed the US government would give guns to Mexican Drug cartels or terrorists in Libya, Egypt and Syria. No one believed that a sitting US President would go to bed and leave four citizens to die without lifting a finger to help them.

No one would believe that a sitting president would require an agency of our government to give 500 million dollars to his supporters. Well, scratch that. I guess we would believe that.

dogsoldier on March 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

No, John. You’ve been a Democrat in GOP clothing all these years, and even the slowest of the GOP has finally figured that out.

Mdirmeie on March 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Old fart.

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

ADELE, BEYONCE TO PERFORM AT MICHELLE’S 50TH:
albill on March 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Do you think there will be a Red Carpet show?

Cindy Munford on March 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM

McCain is actually saying it’s OK to drone an American in a cafe. So he’s with the statists on this. He also neglected to acknowledge that we are talking about “absence of imminent threat”, not the use of lethal force in any circumstance.

He deliberately or honestly does not understand the debate but sides with the right of the administration to assassinate from the air, anywhere in the world, when we can’t do it on the ground.

The “maverick” is an irrational demagogue who can’t stand the irony of his and Lyndsey’s epic PR fail over the so-called bi-partisan compromise on gun-control at their Supreme Leader lunch.

Keep it up Cruz and Paul. Keep exposing the statists.

virgo on March 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

And he can’t even go on a WH tour now either.

Loser McSchmuck.

profitsbeard on March 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

McCain also told us “not to fear Obama as POTUS,he is a good decent man” How did that work out for us?

How many time did McCain use the word “I” in the Morgan. Its about we the people John, not YOU.

gradyman on March 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM

McCain has been an angry old man for as long as I can remember. Graham has been his puppet for as long as I can remember.

bw222 on March 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

A big take down of McLame here…SO freaking tired of this guy

sadsushi on March 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

This is all going to come to violence………..

I wish it would start soon…….I wonder where it will start first……

williamg on March 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM

For those saying that “McCain is a hero”……

I don’t believe he ever was – he was an IDIOT who didn’t know how to fly his plane….

A failure who used the consequences of his stupidity to further his career….

He’s a brainless traitor with Stockholm Syndrom…..

He was NEVER a “hero” – and he has dishonored his service….

williamg on March 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

McStain: Cantankerous Cretin,Certifiable dimwit, Camera Hog of dubious intelligence and professional public teat sucker!
Retire him AZ.

ConcealedKerry on March 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I should say McCain has BETRAYED his service!

williamg on March 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

lindsay Graham:
Wikipedia:
“In 1998, according to the Congressional daily newspaper The Hill, Graham was describing himself on his website as an Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm veteran. In reality, he never left South Carolina. Graham responded “I have not told anybody I’m a combatant,” he said. “I’m not a war hero, and never said I was. I never intended to lie. If I have lied about my military record, I’m not fit to serve in Congress,” further noting that he “never deployed.”[4]

In 2004, Graham received a promotion to Colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserve at a White House ceremony officiated by President George W. Bush.”

ConcealedKerry on March 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

We Republicans didn’t see one tenth of this fight from McCain when he ran against Obama. Oh no, don’t want to upset the progressives and you McCain refused to engage Obama and now your firing into our own tent? I was never a Rand Paul supporter but the bottom line is this event brought me back from the political abyss with gusto knowing we do have representatives that will fight for us.

Tangerinesong on March 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You know what you are John: A self-loathing, disingenuous attention whore who needs to get the hell off the stage and stay there.

Right Mover on March 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM

He never wanted to win the election in 2008. He only wanted the nomination. Once he got that, he stopped trying.

Right Mover on March 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

SENATOR … please, I’m BEGGING you ….. retire, while we STILL have respect for your ‘war record’.

DON’T STRAIN OUR RESPECT, TO THE BREAKING POINT !

listens2glenn on March 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM

DON’T STRAIN OUR RESPECT, TO THE BREAKING POINT !

listens2glenn on March 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM

*BZZZZZZT*

Too late for that; he squandered the respect he earned as a vet and POW *long* ago. If anything, now he has *less* respect *because* he used to have that additional layer of respect and has betrayed it. He is, as a result, more loathsome now than if he had never been a vet/POW at all.

Midas on March 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Just because you’re an out of touch pissy pants and your ego is more important than, well just about anything, that’s no reason point it out the harm you’ve done to conservatism.

Speakup on March 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

ConcealedKerry on March 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

IIRC, he worked on drug case3s as a JAG officer.

Wethal on March 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Don’t think I’ll ever again see that little prick’s face and not immediately think, “F*ck off.”

I don’t think I’m alone.

Rational Thought on March 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

My goodness! The guy doesn’t get it at all! Amazing!

Vince on March 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

McCain seems absolutely clueless…Was it Reagan who said something about lofo voters that think they know so much that isn’t so.??

bill glass on March 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I find it intriguing that McCain says that instead of spending 13 hours in a filibuster on whether our government can use drones on it’s citizens, McCain says we should be spending that time discussing the situation in Syria for example.

Well Senator, if you feel that passionate about the Syria nightmare, & I’m not saying you should not, why not actually do something substantive about it, like maybe a……….filibuster or something? You say we should spend our time more wisely, ok, try doing something actually productive, you know, something that might actually get results, rather than sitting in your ivory tower pontificating. Hmmmmmm?

Reno232 on March 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

McCain is a moron. He lost the presidency to a guy with no experience and a shady background. Who gives a **** what he or that nelly Lindsey Graham thinks…

dpduq on March 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

McCain and Graham are angry old camera hogs. McCain is in love with his maverick title. What a sad old has-been

lperello on March 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

When I buck GOP leadership, I’m a maverick; now I’m suddenly an “angry old man”

Yes. Prior to 2008 and your run for President, your popularity with the media was based on your attacking your own party establishment. The media loves anti-Republicans, particularly Republicans who are anti-Republican.

In 2008 when you ran for President, you BECAME that establishment. At that point anything you say IS the voice of the “establishment”, you ARE the establishment. You can now no longer be a “maverick”. Your shine with the media has tarnished and you are to the curb like yesterday’s beer bottles.

crosspatch on March 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Dear McCain: You ARE an angry old man. And, if you’ll remember correctly, it was the liberal media who was lauding you for being the ‘Maverick’, not the conservative base. Idiot.

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

When I buck [stab fellow] GOP [in back again and again over and over in my career, slamming them for head-pats in the press as "One of the good ones"] leadership, I‘m [like to think of myself as] a maverick; now, [when someone does something I don't like,] I’m suddenly [acting like] an angry old man [and the two-face I've always been, for more head-pats from the press].

I’m glad you’re coming clean, John.

Axeman on March 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Would that be the same media who backed the line that McCain was not a maverick, and his presidency would be “the third term of the Bush presidency” when the Dems sold it?

Recently, sounding almost hurt and betrayed, he reflected that he didn’t expect the reaction he got from the media–they wouldn’t even let him play the Maverick card!

Axeman on March 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I respect McCain for his service to the country

But what has he accomplished really? Nada, nothing…close to 80 years old …let the young Republicans take the reigns and retire gracefully. You made a fool out of yourself last week

I worked and supported your 08 candidacy ..realizing how badly you were going to lose. Time to exit the stage

Redford on March 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM

ADELE, BEYONCE TO PERFORM AT MICHELLE’S 50TH:
albill on March 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Do you think there will be a Red Carpet show?

Cindy Munford on March 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I saw this too – but this is amost 12 months in the future (February 2014), so why is she working on her party now?

I’m happy to wish Michelle well on her 50th Birthday. If she wants a party – she should throw a party. BUT NOT ON MY DIME. This is a private affair and Barack and Michelle should pay for it themselves – out of their own, ample pockets. There is NO WAY they should be turning adaydayway little kids for a White House tour to save some $$$ while paying for a big 50th bash for this lady!

Wasn’t it Barack Obama who said everyone should sacrifice? Why is it they are the only ones who seem exempt from sacrifice?

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

adaydayway = away.

My curser is skipping around lately.

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Republicans finally scored a major, compelling, epic GOP PR victory…
– Erika

That line is about as great an example as any as how much the GOP and it’s base don’t even have a clue who they are or what they stand for or believe in anymore. Except not liking Obama.
If you spent any time listening to the content of Rand’s speech, what he was ultimately being critical of was what the GOP and you guys have been cheering and advocating for for the last 10 years.
He longed for the ‘Obama of 2007′, just like you, right?
Iraq, waterboarding, NSA surveillance…what, now you’re suddenly the ones outraged and concerned by all that? He even in the speech applauded Obama for much that he has done – that at the time sent many of you running for your lives to Dick Cheney’s bunker.
He takes him to task specifically over the drone program – alarmed that Obama has stepped up rather than rolled back this particular inherited policy.
Sound like you guys jumped down the rabbit hole. Your brain’s gotta hurt at this point…right?
And McCain is ‘the bad guy’ because he’s taking the position of defending the ‘war on terror’.
I suppose the next ‘epic PR victory’ will be enlisting Cindy Sheehan to run for office on a GOP tkt somewhere.
Good stuff.

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Agreed. We’ve always known the Maverick thing was about giving you props for not being afraid to poke the GOP in the eye when it made you look good.

jas88 on March 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Nice post Erika..Bottom line McCain doesn’t get it..:)

Dire Straits on March 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Now McNasty is feeling sorry for himself again. Maybe his partner Lindsey can comfort him.

VorDaj on March 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I respect McCain for his service to the country

I don’t – Because he has PERFORMED NO SUCH SERVICE!!!

williamg on March 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You’re a Barking Moobat IDIOT!

williamg on March 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

First, I know what I stand for, its the GOP leadership that seems to have lost sight of any guideing principals. My support is for freedom, liberty and small government – which may LOOK to you like ‘not liking Obama’, but thats only because Obama is consistantly on the side of big government and lessened liberty.

Secondly, McCain is the ‘bad guy’ because he is so eager to criticize Republicans in a way I rarely see him criticize Democrats. He is free to disagree with Rand Paul. But does he really have to be so rude and condescending – calling Paul a “Wacko Bird”? Can he just say he disagrees for X reason?

He has earned my contempt.

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Someone needs to tell John that he’s not an angry old man, he’s become a member of the establishment. As such, he doesn’t want to see people acting like mavericks, sort of like other Republicans were with him 20+ years ago.

This time, he and Graham completely blew it and, I would hope, they would get their act together and have some meetings with the newer Senate members and try to figure out their long term goals and see how they can help. You’re either part of the solution or part of the problem and, right now, McCain and Graham are part of the problem.

bflat879 on March 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

McCain continues to blatantly misrepresent what Paul said. Paul made it very clear during his filibuster many times that he wasn’t talking about imminent threats. He said that again and again. So McCain’s comparison to shooting down the plane is nonsense. Yet he keeps doing it.

At this point I’m really baffled by why McCain continues to push something which is so obviously nonsense. Does he have some other kind of agenda? Is it just an ego thing gone haywire? What is with this guy?

Either way, the dude should come out of the closet and switch parties.

WhatSlushfund on March 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

McCain is the GOP leadership that’s being bucked.

beatcanvas on March 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

McCain is now a functionally senile old Establishment goat who’s easily duped by Democrats who smile when they lie.

McCain’s time passed when he quit his regular “Golden Fleece” speeches, and when he demonstrated his inability to distinguish friend from foe by vilifying Sarah Palin.

landlines on March 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

McShame is in dire need of a colostomy bag….

dddave on March 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

No Johnny-When you are a maverick and side with liberals you are just being a RINO.When you side with the RINO establishment against conservatives, you are being an angry old RINO.Just retire Johnny and ride off into the sunset with your loverboy Lindsey.

redware on March 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

psychological projection as defined by wikipedia:

Psychological projection was first conceptualized by Sigmund Freud as a defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own negative attributes by ascribing them to the outside world instead. Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting faults onto others. The original idea was that projection would allow for reduced anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them.

equanimous on March 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

McCain is unstable and lacks any vestige of self-control. McCain is unfit to hold high office and is a danger to himself and others.

Rogervzv on March 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM

He has earned my contempt.

LilyBart on March 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Well that’s a fair point.
Though these are tough days to sell the idea of not being rude in political/policy debates.

But my point is when Rand Paul was ‘admiring’ Obama in 2007…who in the GOP/HA crowd was?
(Though to be fair, HA was probably a lot less strident in 2007 than now.)

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Dodo Bird.

KMav on March 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Good stuff.

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

The conservative base didn’t jump down the rabbit hole. They didn’t know it was even there. The government has been eroding civil liberties under the banner of war on terror for years, but where did you hear about it? You didn’t hear about it at hotair, and since Obama took office you haven’t heard about it on any mainstream media outlets. You have to go to sites like zero hedge, a economic conspiracy site, to hear about a piece of national security legislation. So, no most of the base hasn’t experienced cognitive dissonance since they haven’t been allowed to know.

DFCtomm on March 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

psychological projection as defined by wikipedia:

equanimous on March 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Hmmm..maybe. It’s true that Erika is embracing and cheering Rand Paul’s evisceration of the recent history of the GOP and it’s accolades…and by extension all that she and her side allegedly ‘stand for’. I’m not one to throw out lame juvenile psychoanalytical insults as a cheap substitute for substantive responses – but maybe you’re right in this case.

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

(Though to be fair, HA was probably a lot less strident in 2007 than now.)

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Chuck Hagel. In fact, Hagel endorsed Obama in 2008, not McCain.

That’s one example.

Resist We Much on March 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

McCain lost to the most inept candidate for president in my lifetime! (Maybe Ever)I want no advice from such a wimp as him! (Nor Romney either!)Rand Paul shows courage and patriotism! He will probably be president and the RINOs are about to wet themselves over it! Paul resonates across all party lines with all Americans who support the Constitution!

Marco on March 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Iraq, waterboarding, NSA surveillance…

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Besides a war in Iraq, none of that kills anybody.

what, now you’re suddenly the ones outraged and concerned by all that?

Bush was losing conservative support for the Iraq, while he was in office. That’s how you get to the 30s, you start losing support on your own side.

Yes, he stepped it up–light on yet? And again, it kills people. So it seems weird to “step up” the one program that takes lives, rather than cry about some very panicked people.

You guys wet your pants about putting 3 top terrorists in a state of panic pouring water over their face–who get to live without a scar, ever afterwards. But you high-five each other over shooting THE HEAD terrorist in the head with that information.

Ya know? If Obama can’t do the job, then he should have told somebody. “Inheriting” is what presidents do, given that the country didn’t start 4 years ago.

And when you gloss the possibility of killing American citizens deemed as terrorists on American soil, out of a field of combat as “stepped up”, that is some major mental damage that I cannot approach.

This Alinsky “double standard” thing is pretty played. It still has a cache with the Low-information guys, and for some people on the right who can’t see it for the plug-and-chug game that it is.

Don’t assume that logic a little more complex than “I’m against a War on Women” has to hurt somebody’s head, like it does yours.

Axeman on March 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Chuck Hagel. In fact, Hagel endorsed Obama in 2008, not McCain.

That’s one example.

Resist We Much on March 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

And had he been endorsing…who would Paul have been with?
It seems Obama, right?
Now of course Hagel is persona non grata surpremo at HA.
And Rand Paul?

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

No Senator McLIB… You are a Maverick to the Propaganda Ministry/The Left, when you Stab Conservatives in the Back! At ALL TIMES, YOU ARE A DODDERING OLD FOOL! When You Collude & Assist in the Cover Up of TREASON & Dereliction of Duty, you are just another rino/Lib TRAITOR!

Got It?

Maybe you should study what the Patriots said to Benedict Arnold, when questioned, “What they would do if they got their hands on Benedict Arnold?”

God Bless America!

paratisi on March 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Sorry John you didn’t get it. But you have always been an angry old man and a rino as well.

rodguy911 on March 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM

“We” did not name him a “maverick”.
As I recall it was Chris Mathews and the left that hung that stink on the old fart.
The left wanted McCain to beat Bush so that Gore could walk it in.

kregg on March 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM

And had he been endorsing…who would Paul have been with?
It seems Obama, right? Now of course Hagel is persona non grata surpremo at HA. And Rand Paul?

verbaluce on March 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

LOL! Paul would have been endorsed his father. Look just because Paul – and I – agreed with Obama on civil liberties and war back in 2007 doesn’t mean that either of us would have EVER voted for him.

Paul didn’t support Obama’s Lochner position in 2007 or his belief in government/universal healthcare or his devotion to Keynesian economics. Neither did I. Neither of us ever will.

None of this makes us hypocrites. It just proves that we can agree with our opponents when we and they are right.

Resist We Much on March 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM