How well will new energy sec Moniz play with the EPA?

posted at 5:01 pm on March 10, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

When the news broke last week that Barack Obama had tapped MIT physicist Ernest Moniz to be the next Secretary of Energy, I immediately began seeing some buzz that he might be a distinct improvement over the last occupant of the office. There was even talk that he was actually a proponent of domestic energy sources, and not just wind, solar or algae. I was skeptical to say the least, given our previous experience with the President’s choices. But the Washington Post certainly tried to paint a rosy picture right out of the gate.

Moniz, who served as associate director of the White House office of science and technology policy and as undersecretary of energy under President Bill Clinton, is also devoted to the “all-of-the-above” strategy for energy that Obama has embraced. In a voluminous written and spoken record, Moniz has come out in favor of nuclear power, research into carbon capture and storage for coal, renewable energy and shale gas produced by hydraulic fracturing.

That all sounds pretty good until you get to the next caveat.

Like outgoing Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Moniz is alarmed about climate change and devoted to funding scientific research into low-carbon alternatives to fossil fuel.

Still, I thought I’d give it some time and let some of the experts begin doing research into his background. And not all of the news is bad. Here are a few examples.

“Mr. Moniz has been supportive of nuclear power, clean coal as well as renewable energy. He is perhaps best known for a study published by MIT on the future of natural gas, which was presented to the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources in 2011.”
****
“It’s cheap, there’s lots of it and there’s lots of it in places with high demand, namely the U.S., China and India,” says co-author and M.I.T. physicist Ernest Moniz. “Sequestration,” he adds, “is a key enabling technology for coal use in a carbon-constrained world.”
****
“The world needs both more electricity and less pollution. The goals are not incompatible, but the solution will require better management of demand, smarter use of coal as well as renewable energy sources, and increased use of nuclear power.”

That all sounds good – or as good as we’re likely to get from a nominee put forth by a Democrat – but what will happen when these beliefs run headlong into the agenda of the EPA? In particular, what input will Mr. Moniz have when it comes to the issue of New Source Performance Standards (NSPS)? These new standards, if implemented, would set a limit for carbon dioxide output based on what the best natural gas combined cycle gas turbines can achieve, even if the power plant runs on coal. Since coal produces more CO2 by definition, the effect will be to essentially eliminate any new coal plant construction or refurbishment, regardless of how well they do with the clean coal technology Moniz is championing.

Will he knuckle under to the President’s regulatory gurus, or speak up for a real “all of the above” strategy which Barack Obama claims to support? That’s going to be the real test to watch for in the coming months.

Comments

…looks like someone has played with him already!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

…can we smoke his hair?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM

….bet you we would get high!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM

…MIT…is that another form of POS?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Will he knuckle under to the President’s regulatory gurus

…what are the odds?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

****
****

…but we learned from JugEars…talk is cheap!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

…oh oh!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

…I just cut up a fallen tree outside…where is everyone?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

…I must have gotten lost!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Chu went crazy. Can happen when your entire staff lives in another reality.

pat on March 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

But can he do the Sam Kinison screaming face?

Transpo on March 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

…don’t do this to me…you all went where?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Chu went crazy. Can happen when your entire staff lives in another reality.

pat on March 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

…it may be something they smoke!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

How well will new energy sec Moniz play with the EPA?

That hairstyle is definitely going to make it tougher for him.

thirteen28 on March 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

What an unfortunate haircut – not a sign of the ability to make good choices.

Midas on March 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

That man looks very bizarre.

VorDaj on March 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I would vote against him just for stealing a 1920′s flapper girl’s hair.

Warner Todd Huston on March 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Jeepers, he’s a real cutie. Where do they find these guys?

petefrt on March 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

He looks like a Monty Python character.

Del Dolemonte on March 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

That man looks very bizarre.

VorDaj on March 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I think he’s one of the Marx Brothers.

petefrt on March 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

…I’m sure Senator Senile and Lay-Down Lindsey are vacuuming the red carpet!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

the solution will require better management of demand

That all sounds good….

Ummm, no, it doesn’t. “managing demand” means telling us how fast we can drive, how warm we can keep our house, what size lightbulbs to use, etc. Not exactly a freedom agenda.

I would vote against him just for stealing a 1920′s flapper girl’s hair.

Warner Todd Huston on March 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Dude! I would vote for him on that basis! (It’s not like she’s gonna need it, anyway.)

GWB on March 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

But can he do the Sam Kinison screaming face?

Transpo on March 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

A lot of copycats out there, to be sure.

B U T ….. nobody “tops” Sam.

listens2glenn on March 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

If this clown walked into your office for a job interview with that doo…..

Dingbat63 on March 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It may just be me, but any human bho nominates for any post will do as much harm to the US as they can with taxes and regulations?

I do not believe a flippin thing those nominated say. They have to pass the ‘bho you gotta lie and mean it’ on their nominating form to get the nod! Just confirm me and all he!! will let happen after that?
L

letget on March 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM

A complete cabinet of kooks . . . this poor sick Republic is in deep trouble.

rplat on March 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

‘Bout time we got some powdered wigs back in the White House.

BKeyser on March 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

…don’t do this to me…you all went where?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I’m here for ya KoolAid. Maan, those dems have some lookers on their team.

arnold ziffel on March 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

KA2 loses, again. ;-)

tommy71 on March 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I know which way I’m betting…

AUINSC on March 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I’m here for ya KoolAid. Maan, those dems have some lookers on their team.

arnold ziffel on March 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM
…and I thought it was just the women!…Henry Waxman…Al Frankin, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Michael Moore…

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Did someone reincarnate Larry, could have sworn all 3 Stooges had passed…

hillsoftx on March 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Maybe he can loan Axelrod some of his hair.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Maan, those dems have some lookers on their team.

arnold ziffel on March 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Speakers of lookers: The Girls On Fox News Song

petefrt on March 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Plugs Biden must be jealous..

Electrongod on March 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I wonder if he keeps a snake under his desk.

petefrt on March 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I keep expecting Moe Howard to jump up and hit that guy with a cream pie.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I just want to be able to afford gas to get to work everyday.

Suxtabe me.

Fark Obama, Fark the Dems, Fark the Pubs…. Fark the peeps livin on my dime.

/I’m a conservative Libertarian..

Rand Paul 2943

Key West Reader on March 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Say…Isn’t this guy Gene Wilder from Young Frankenstein“?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

ot/U of M and Indiana…closing seconds!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Anyone who would work for the Indonesian Retard is obviously incompetent and/or hates America and humans, in general. I don’t know this Moniz character but the fact that he would be part of this treasonous, inept administration says everything I need to know about him.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Does he have a driver’s license and a car? That would be a step up from Chu.

Curtiss on March 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM

“You have nothing to fear from an Obama presidency.” John and Miss Londsay.

arnold ziffel on March 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Lindsay

arnold ziffel on March 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Say…Isn’t this guy Gene Wilder from “Young Frankenstein“?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Dang! Beat me to it. That was my thought on first glance at the front page; thought it was a picture of Wilder before I started reading the headline.

AZfederalist on March 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Say…Isn’t this guy Gene Wilder from “Young Frankenstein“?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

AZfederalist on March 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Fixed. I know I didn’t hit strikethrough.

AZfederalist on March 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

AZfederalist on March 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Great minds, y’know!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

“carbon-constrained world” my @$$. That alone tells you everything you need to know about this communist.

Frankly I’m tired of this song and dance by the green communists; all this amounts to is a means by which fuel use can be restricted (except of course, for those who are deemed worthy of hunting on the King’s lands). It’s time for people to start ignoring those rules and states to start imprisoning federal officials who interfere with the building and operation of coal fired plants within their state boundaries.

AZfederalist on March 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Since coal produces more CO2 by definition

No it does not.
1 C + 1 O2 –> 1 CO2
1 CH4 + 2 O2 –> 1 CO2 + 2 H2O

One mole of carbon (coal) or 1 mole of methane (natural gas) each produce one mole of carbon dioxide (CO2) during a complete combustion reaction. So whoever gave you that definition flunked 9th grade physical science and/or High School Chemistry.

chemman on March 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

“All of the above” hasn’t worked out so well this far.

We’ll see.

GarandFan on March 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM

If he can’t figure out when to get a haircut, how can we trust him to know when to approve XL Pipeline?

Tater Salad on March 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Grandpappy Bishop once told me: “Listen here you worthless little shiite, don’t never ever trust a man with a haircut like that!”

Bishop on March 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Bishop on March 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, but he sounds like Obama’s best choice for any cabinet position, ever.

Party on!

CTSherman on March 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

But…but…

…Because…MIT!!

Solaratov on March 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

FFS people, he is an OBAMA APPOINTEE. There is night 0 probability this man will act in any sane or pro-American way.

tom daschle concerned on March 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Huh, that’s funny.

My PhD dissertation relied on a paper co-written by this guy (a very technical nuclear physics paper, nothing to do with public policy).

LagunaDave on March 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

chemman on March 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

But the question is:does combustion of a BTU of coal produce more CO2, than the combustion of a BTU of natural gas? Answer: yes. Therefore (at equivalent heat rates) a coal plant necessarily produces more CO2 than a natural gas plant. Since combined cycle gas plants have better heat rates than coal plants, their advantage is even greater.

As to Moniz. If he believes in global warming, that is a political belief. No sane person could believe the theory of global warming on a scientific basis.But, given the political bent of this administration, he’s probably as good as we’re going to get.

tngmv on March 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

No it does not.
1 C + 1 O2 –> 1 CO2
1 CH4 + 2 O2 –> 1 CO2 + 2 H2O

chemman on March 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

One could argue that releasing water vapour into the atmosphere from the combustion of coal would lead to cloud formation which has a cooling effect.

tom daschle concerned on March 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Amount of fuel used to generate one kilowatt-hour (kWh):
Coal = 0.00053 Short Tons or 1.07 Pounds
Natural Gas = 0.00798 Mcf (1,000 cubic feet)
Residual Fuel Oil = 0.00184 Barrels (or 0.08 gallons)

So which releases more CO2 into the atmosphere from combustion; burning 1.07 lbs of coal or 1,000 cubic feet of natural gas?

tom daschle concerned on March 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

JAZZ SHAW: Still, I thought I’d give it some time and let some of the experts begin doing research into his background.

The gullible are slow learners, if they ever learn at all.

woodNfish on March 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Hey, I know this guy from the old Johnny Carson show!

Professor Irwin Corey, right?

Adjoran on March 11, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Sounds like another crony capitalism czar.

Doesn’t GE manufacturer nuclear reactors? Why yes, I believe they do…

Mr. Arrogant on March 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I know this is a silly question but… then again we have a marxist running our country and $17,000,000,000,000 in debt and we bring in $4,300,000,000,000 a year and we can’t balance our budget.

Which is more powerful- The dept of Energy or the EPA?

acyl72 on March 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Well … apparently Pat Schroeder’s hairstylist is still in business …

M240H on March 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Is that a wig, or is Beethoven our new Sec Eng?

Kissmygrits on March 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I hope Dr. Lindzen walks across campus and slaps some sense into him…

right2bright on March 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

If Moniz is the guy in the picture on the entrance to this post -

He looks like a plu-perfect, power-suckling IDIOT!

A giggling, butt-kissing buffoon!

GOD help us!

williamg on March 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Sounds like another crony capitalism czar.

Doesn’t GE manufacturer nuclear reactors? Why yes, I believe they do…

Mr. Arrogant on March 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Yeah…..they manufactured the ones at Fukushima

williamg on March 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

But, has he ever held a real job? Or has he just worked in government and academia where you get promoted for screwing up?

Obamatrix on March 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I thought he looked kind of like Andre the Giant.

Monkeytoe on March 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Guy looks like Anton Chigurh with a few waves.

Nick_Angel on March 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

He will do whatever Obummer tells him to do. If he doesn’t Obummer will get rid of him, just like he has gotten rid of so many generals in Afghanistan.

sherrimae on March 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM