Saving America – School confiscates cupcakes with toy soldiers on them

posted at 5:01 pm on March 9, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Nobody wants unauthorized people bringing guns into schools, and schools are stepping up to make sure that doesn’t happen. But one elementary school in Michigan has taken the concept to new heights. (Or perhaps that should be depths.) It seems that we shouldn’t allow toy soldiers on school property either because, you know… they have guns.

A Michigan elementary school is defending its decision to confiscate a third-graders batch of homemade cupcakes because the birthday treats were decorated with plastic green Army soldiers.

Casey Fountain told Fox News that the principal of his son’s elementary school called the cupcakes “insensitive” — in light of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

“It disgusted me,” he said. “It’s vile they lump true American heroes with psychopathic killers.”

Even after this incident went public, the principal decided not to back down. Reasoning such as this is truly stunning indeed.

Principal Susan Wright released a statement to local media defending the decision.

“These are toys that were commonplace in the past,” she wrote. “However, some parents prohibit all guns as toys. In light of that difference, the school offered to replace the soldiers with another item and the soldiers were returned home with the student.”

“Living in a democratic society entails respect for opposing opinions,” she stated. “In the climate of recent events in schools we walk a delicate balance in teaching non-violence in our buildings and trying to ensure a safe, peaceful atmosphere.”

Yes, toy soilders – both new ones and these older, WW2 style models – are frequently depicted with guns. They are also the good guys. Shall we also ban images of police officers from school? Is there some point where the weight of stories such as this will bring enough attention to this wave of hysteria that the public calls for it to stop? As Eric Owens at the Daily Caller illustrates, this is hardly a unique incident.

At D. Newlin Fell School in Philadelphia, school officials reportedly yelled at a student and then searched her in front of her class after she was found with a paper gun her grandfather had made for her. (RELATED: Paper gun causes panic)

In rural Pennsylvania, a kindergarten girl was suspended for making a “terroristic threat” after she told another girl that she planned to shoot her with a pink Hello Kitty toy gun that bombards targets with soapy bubbles.

At Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Maryland, a six-year-old boy was suspended for making the universal kid sign for a gun, pointing at another student and saying “pow.” That boy’s suspension was later lifted and his name cleared.

He’s got plenty more of them at the link, so click on through and check out all of the examples. This would almost be funny if it weren’t so tragic, particularly for a generation of kids who are now being traumatized a second time as the responsible adults in their lives continue to freak out and overreact. Sadly, I doubt we’ve heard the last of it by a long shot.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Young Master Fountain should have simply and calmly replied that they are soldiers of the civilian armed forces, that are “just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded” as the real armed forces, which are, you know, controlled by a narcissistic tyrannical despot.

Kenosha Kid on March 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

How does one reconcile a blog post here with the incontrivertibly deomsntrated fact the the poster is a congenital A$$?

I would love to hear how one finds balanace in something like this…

williamg on March 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

And yet…here you are.

After having read the blog post by the “congenital ass”…and taking more time to post a whining, sniveling little insult.

Most people – when confronted by a post by an author they don’t like, simply slide on past and look for something else to read.

Perhaps you should try that. Maybe you’d find some balanace.

Solaratov on March 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I’m sorry Katy but in this case you are wrong…they are disgusting little “toy soldiers.”

Generally, any time one sees a common theme, “twisted” 90 to 180 degrees, it is a Leftist trope…designed to make you “question” that which you know.

Do you really think anyone interested in returning service personnel would have chosen those themes?

In fact they encompass the two ways the Left views service personnel:
1) As CRIMINAL, e.g. the Rapist; and
2) Broken Toy, the Suicide.

JFKY on March 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I remember in high school, not that long ago, guys bringing their guns to school for some shop class projects. Take them to school right on the school bus, nobody batted an eye.
This is how far our culture has collapsed.

lowandslow on March 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Because even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while? Errr… something like that.

GWB on March 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Still waiting for the GOP to save us, huh?

Wow.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Huh?

GWB on March 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM

This Just In! Scientists have discovered a new measurement of time said to be smaller than any previously known.

The new measurement of time, called the “Dumbassecond” is the amount of time it takes for a bureaucrat to reduce an uncontroversial rule to asinine irrelevance.

schmuck281 on March 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Then why do you squelch my opinions, but you don’t squelch the opposing opinions? If you respect both opinions, then you must treat both equally. If you permit an opinion, then you must also permit its opposite; if you squelch one, then you must also squelch the other. That is what your statement says, whether you have the wit to recognize it or not.

Or are you just another Lefty / Proggie hypocrite?

ss396 on March 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Too many examples in recent news to even link them all.
However,
this one is more relevant than most:

For 15 years she has proudly served her country as a Royal Navy engineer, risking her life in Afghanistan when she fought against the Taliban.

But far from showing Nicky Howse the respect she deserved as she flew back to her latest posting, Virgin Atlantic staff chose to humiliate her – by demanding that she remove her uniform because it was ‘offensive’.

She told her friend: ‘I was basically told it was because “We don’t only fly British passengers” and told it was seen as a threat. I went ballistic. I said “In the country I defend I can’t wear my uniform?”

‘They then said it was for my own safety to stop abuse to which I replied I can deal with that myself if it arises as I did in Afghanistan.

(Twitchy has more, of course!)

Reminds me of the school kid forbidden to wear a t-shirt with a US flag design because it might “offend” the kids celebrating Cinco de Mayo in a US school, who might then react violently.
Even one of the KosKids (“American-Flag-T-shirts-not-allowed-on-Cinco-de-Mayo”) took umbrage at that inanity, which has actually been upheld by the California judge!.

We will eventually implement immigration reform but that alone won’t change the social impact of how we view each other in our country. I am proud of my American heritage and I hope that every individual that comes here seeking the American dream is proud of their heritage. But don’t come to my country and tell me you are offended if I wear my country’s colors…on any day that I choose!

There is no right to not be offended; there is only the responsibility to control one’s own responses.

AesopFan on March 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM

A few points:
1 – how many of these school principals are feminists? The % seems to be rather high. It’s reached the point where I guess that the principal is a female – and so far, batting 100% –
2 – If we would bother to teach content, maybe we wouldn’t have to spend so much time on this social justice (control) garbage – maybe our kids would learn some facts, real history, geography, you know information one can actually use for life
3 – Finally – I’m tired of people being “offended” – we’re so busy trying not to “offend” anyone, that real work and real thinking and real learning don’t get done. This concept of global offense was non-existent a number of years ago – you can only be offended if you choose to be offended. Shrug it off or return with facts but this apologetic, passive-aggressive approach with students is the pits.

MN J on March 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM

The problem is that the toy soldiers might instill the idea that defending the country is a good idea. Left wingers can not have that.

Slowburn on March 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM

A little insider baseball as a conservative Christian Michigan public school teacher at the elementary level…

I would have served those cupcakes proudly and not said a peep other than, “These are World War Two soldiers. Thanks for bringing them in, Johnny!” If a child said, “My parents don’t let me play with toy guns,” I would have responded, “Then give your toy to a friend.” Any nasty parent phone calls about the toy soldiers–very unlikely in Caro (which is not San Francisco, CA)–I would have handled myself. If the principal had a problem with the toy, I would have taken the heat by saying, “Johnny brought it in for his birthday treat. I didn’t want him to feel uncomfortable.”

The teacher reported those toys. That was the first domino over.

Conservative teachers can do a LOT in the public schools. I know. I’m a subversive undermining as much liberal indoctrination as a possibly can. :-)

Grace_is_sufficient on March 10, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I have no children. Its probably better for them. If I had them, and sent them to public school, their dad would be in prison by now.

RutRoh on March 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM

RutRoh on March 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM

That is no joke.

I knew this was coming!

My 9 year old daughter and six year old son played with little green army men about the time we invaded Iraq. ON HER OWN, she took a rifleman in the kneeling position (she tried prone but the tape wouldn’t work) and carefully cut duct tape to stick him on the bill of her baseball cap. We were travelling and soon had an adult come to question her. I don’t remember who the adult was but she explained that she was watching TV and saw our troops going into battle and wanted to support them. The guy said nothing to me but I had rich old ladies mumble “guns make me nervous” loud enough for me to hear on the trip.

This was long before the Connecticut murders!

Now what if we came across Muslims in a place like New York City or Massachusetts?

Might be a hate crime.

IlikedAUH2O on March 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Soldiers on cupcakes is pretty creative.

Being creative and irreverent and conservative is a dangerous mix. A progressive state can’t have that.

This is another tentacle for the left to firmly control the whole creative structure.

IlikedAUH2O on March 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Diane Macedo nailed it last night on Red Eye when she said the school wouldn’t have objected at all if the cupcakes were topped with a woman wearing a burka.

fogw on March 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

cupcakes!!!!!

Oh noes, call the sugar police! Our public schools do not allow homemade goodies for “allegy and health” reasons. Birthday celebrations are now relegated to the cafeteria during lunch time. Other seasonal celebrations (Obama forbid we speak of holdays) are relegated to a twice a year craft and snack moment.

But the good news is my daughter’s school just spend a HALF of a school day on a composting assembly. COMPOSTING!!!!

Laura in Maryland on March 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This is one thread I can’t wait to see roll over. The leftist wetdream toy soldiers on the cover is freaking disgusting.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

“Sadly, I doubt we’ve heard the last of it by a long shot.”

If the administrators who do this were told “You are too stupid to work here. You’re fired. Get out!” We would have already seen the last of it.

Russ in OR on March 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

lowandslow on March 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Indeed, in the mid-70′s we’d do some dove hunting at sunrise, toss our cleaned birds in the freezer of a friend’s house – then repeat in the evening. All the while, we’d keep our 12 gauge shotguns in the trunks of our cars.

Hill60 on March 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Why is taking the toy soldiers from the cupcakes not considered an act of aggression on the part of an adult against a child?

They get out their magnifying glasses and see things where no one else does… and yet are blind to the obvious. Cruelty inflicted on the heart of a child by a mean spirited adult.

The child brings cupcakes and small plastic toys to share with his classmates. The adult responds with viscous anger and steals the toys from the cupcakes, ruining the sweet gift offered from the heart of a child.

The child wanted to share and bring some fun to his classmates. His only intention was for some fun and happiness. The teachers can see only evil in a kind act.

Luke 6:45 “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.”

Prov. 27:19 “As in water face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects the man.”

This teacher is evil. Should be fired and never allowed around children.

Zero tolerance policies always are accompanied with heavy penalties for what would be considered minor infractions at best. They are like the old archaic laws of the dark ages. Some peasant falls into the King’s flower bed and he is imprisoned. Or kills a rabbit to feed his starving family and he’s tortured and loses all of his property. .. because that was the “King’s rabbit.”

Pray zero tolerance laws never expand outside of the government run schools. Although I see it happening. The children these laws are inflicted upon will in turn create zero tolerance laws on the rest of society.

You get stopped for speeding on the way to the ER because your wife is in labor on the back seat? So sorry. The trooper’s hands are tied. We have zero tolerance now for speeders. Straight off to prison you go for 10 years. $10,000. fine. The child your wife just gave birth to goes to protective services.

Don’t laugh. Up until 20 years ago some teacher confiscating plastic toys off the top of cupcakes would have been thought a bad joke. Something from the old Soviet Union. The teacher would have been laughed out of the school district if not burned in effigy by parents in the streets.

JellyToast on March 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

^^^ high schoolers in Arizona, circa 1977.

Hill60 on March 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Put the cupcake back kid . Cupcakes are for closers .

DeweyWins on March 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM

This is just so wrong. I could write volumes why but maybe revealing a little personal will be the best. Just take this from my heart.

I spent 27 years in the Army from active duty to retiring from the National Guard just after the first Gulf War. My son was in the third grade. For the most part I was a civilian running my own trucking company. His 3rd grade teacher was so anti war that she was certain that anyone in the military must be violent by nature. Unknown to us or the school system, each and every day she took him on the side, made him take off all his close in front of her, to look for any signs of abuse. Finding none she still put in a complaint with social service which found no problems because there were none. The school system backed her and hid my sons school record from us, until we fond an administrator that did not like what was happened and the Board of Ed got a new superintendent. By then the damage of a life time was done. My son would go Catatonic at the thought of just going in to a school building and was never able to go to a public school again. He is now 32 and must live at home because of the experience from 3d grade. The teacher is gone, never to teach again. My son had an IQ of over 170. This is the true damage done by these idiots. The socialized public school system as we know it now didn’t even exist except in the inner cities until the 1940′s.

jpcpt03 on March 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Our local high school here in Roanoke, Virginia, ironically named Patrick Henry, is not allowing the French soldiers in this year’s production of Les Miserables, to use toy muskets in their battle scene. Instead, they’ve been instructed by the principle to use foam rocks instead. Details of the lunacy here:

PaddyORyan on March 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Maybe if the kid had explained that they were Muslim freedom fighters, not toy soldiers all would be good.

profitsbeard on March 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM

If it were a male-male wedding cake topper the lad would have received one of those inane ‘Student Of The Week’ stickers.

jangle12 on March 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

jangle12 on March 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

The kid could have claimed that all of the toy soldiers were gay.

profitsbeard on March 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

PAY ATTENTION JAZZ SHAW:

Alana on March 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

BETTER IDEA: HA, get rid of Jazz Shaw. The site will be improved immediately.

garnkikaloid on March 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

This isn’t simply sensitivity to parents who don’t allow kids to play with toy guns or sympathy for victims of gun crime. It’s INDOCTRINATION. They’re sending a psychological message, telling kids that guns are bad. That way, they’ll have an entire generation prepped and ready to hand over their gun rights.

Murf76 on March 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Better and more responsible idea for school authorities:

Ban left-wing idiots from employment and/or leadership positions in our schools!!!

It should be about teaching the kids something useful!!! Left-wing propaganda is debilitating.

landlines on March 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM

PAY ATTENTION JAZZ SHAW:Get rid of that picture of the toy soldiers blowing their brains out and so forth.
Alana on March 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Apparently he just posts crap and moves on.

Living4Him5534 on March 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

garnkikaloid on March 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I’m not trying to sign you up for the “Jazz Shaw fan club”, but holy (expletive) balls, dude . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on March 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Easily the worst writer here. Frequently tone-deaf. No core convictions. No conservatism, and now ZERO CLASS with that bullsh1t photo on the front page. Jazz couldn’t have been any more offensive if s/he had tried.

garnkikaloid on March 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM

In fact they encompass the two ways the Left views service personnel:
1) As CRIMINAL, e.g. the Rapist; and
2) Broken Toy, the Suicide.

JFKY on March 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM

And it is absolutely infuriating that the simp posts it and it stands.

garnkikaloid on March 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on March 10, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I knew several conservative teachers when I lived in Western Michigan. They hated the MEA as much as I did.

The problem here is that the administration apparently is giving the liberal wench a pass.

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Jazz, it’s one thing if you didn’t notice the content of the toy soldier pic you selected. It’s another if you did and thought it worth posting. An explanation is warranted.

TexasDan on March 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

What a difference a word makes. Living in a democratic Republic does require us to have tolerance for opposing opinions, not respect.

One is a workable policy, the other is self-contradictory. People will have different opinions, and those opinions will come into conflict. There’s no way to “respect” all opinions equally. Just like in this instance, someone’s going to be told they can’t have an opinion at all because it will offend someone else. That’s where this mythical right to not be offended comes from: the notion that expressing your opinion is not respecting someone else’s opinion. I think this is why progressives love to talk about “respect” for different opinions, because it lets them be the judge of which opinions get respect and which ones have to stay quiet out of respect for the others.

The principal has it backwards: living in a democratic Republic entails tolerating the expression of opinions we don’t necessarily like. It’s the people who object to guns who need to accept that they can’t control another’s speech.

One more thing on this subject: banning toy soldiers from cupcakes is exactly the sort of “gun-free-zone” thinking that made all those children in Newtown sitting ducks for a madman.

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Hmmm. Living in a democratic society means you are able to present your opinion, not have it oppressed. Ahhh, the NEA’s army is hard at work.

rockerpeople on March 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM

My son was born just two days ago (7 weeks premature). Time to save up for private school.

DethMetalCookieMonst on March 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I’m a retired public school teacher. Get your children OUT of public school.

Mojave Mark on March 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Seriously, what is with that picture on the front page? I suppose you could argue it makes sense to show these leftist versions of toy soldiers if you want to make a point of them, and of how the left looks at soldiers in general. But to use that picture without any comment or explanation at all implies you see no problem with it.

Which raises the question: Is jazz Shaw trying to make a point, or is he just oblivious?

tom on March 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Jazz, I’m sick and tired of seeing that anti-service member picture every time I go to Hot Air. Just switch the damn thing.

Living4Him5534 on March 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

DethMetalCookieMonst on March 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Congratulations. Is home schooling an option?

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

What’s the difference between Forrest Gump and Liberals? Gump was a beloved IDIOT with common sense & good intentions…Liberals are just plain STUPID.

easyt65 on March 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Oh no just the toys on top! Confiscate the cupcakes too, a lot of schools think those are bad as well. Too much sugar; and someone might be allergic.

Fleuries on March 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Am I the only one who noticed Mary Steyn mentioned this very topic on the Rush Limbaugh Show today? WOW!

No wonder so many here need to buy a clue.

DannoJyd on March 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I find it sad that some people writing in think that this is some kind of joke.
Sure, there are 10′s of thousands of great teachers and school administrators that every day of their working career do make the difference with our children. THEN there are that 1-4% that show themselves to be total idiots like those we hear of in this posting.

Now you went to school, do the math.

Teacher with ridge ideas TIMES 30 students/year TIMES 30 year career = 900 students with distorted ideas . Take it to the school administrator level and increase by a factor of 10 = 9,000 students. School board level another factor of 10 to 90,000 students. This dose not count what they may bring into their own families when the time comes.

Yes the numbers of school educators involved in this may be small BUT the numbers that they can influence for a life time can be great. These kid could not know that they did something wrong, only that they were rejected by the establishment that is teaching them to obey.

jpcpt03 on March 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM