Who’s ready for the first Iowa caucus ad of 2016?

posted at 2:57 pm on March 8, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell did not do himself any favors with conservatives when he signed his big transportation bill into law last month — it certainly looks like it will be a tax increase in practice (one of his economic advisers just resigned in protest because of it), and the agreement to allow a bicameral commission to decide on whether Virginia will expand Medicaid was definitely not okay.

Just in case McDonnell has any ideas about a presidential bid in 2016, a conservative super PAC is looking to nip those ambitions in the bud… with an ad in Iowa?

Nearly three years ahead of the 2016 Iowa caucuses, the Patriot Super PAC, a Fairfax-based group with tea party leanings, has taken out a tiny TV ad buy of less than $5,000 urging Iowans to beware.

McDonnell spokesman Tucker Martin made light of the ad, saying, “A $5,000 dollar TV ‘buy’ isn’t an attempt to run the first real ad of 2016. It’s an attempt to get articles about running the first TV ad of 2016. In any case, if the Patriot Super PAC is indeed a group of “super patriots” they will immediately apologize to the good people of Iowa for bothering them with an inane political ad in March of 2013- no matter how minuscule the buy. Iowans deserve at least a year off from presidential campaigns.”

Er, McDonnell 2016? I’m sure he’s thought about it in the past, but mounting the effort to try and compete with the more charismatic Rubio, Paul, Jindal, Christie, etcetera ready and rarin’ on the Republican bench? I’m having trouble seeing it.

But heck, while we’re on the 2016 topic, Quinnipiac‘s latest poses a a few of the next presidential cycle’s hypothetical match-ups. Not-at-all surprisingly, Hillary Clinton’s name recognition sweeps the field, and she’s the Democrats’ most formidable contender of the proffered three — with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie giving her the biggest run for her money:

Hillary Clinton would defeat three potential Republican presidential candidates if the 2016 presidential election were held today, with New Jersey Gov. Christopher Christie second in a field of three Democrats and three Republicans selected by Quinnipiac University for a national poll released today. …

Former First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State Clinton wins easily against any of the Republicans, topping Christie 45 – 37 percent; leading Rubio 50 – 34 percent and besting Ryan 50 – 38 percent. …

Christie gets 43 percent to Vice President Biden’s 40 percent and tops Cuomo 45 – 28 percent.

Ryan tops Cuomo 42 – 37 percent while Cuomo and Rubio are tied 37 – 37 percent.

Comments

President Unmade Bed.

Great. Just great.

Just flush America, and get it over with.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Hillary or Christie? Gag!

a capella on March 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I’m a Virginian, I support Bob for Governor, but my answer is “Nope.”

EdmundBurke247 on March 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Iowans deserve at least a year off from presidential campaigns.”

Make it at least a decade, and I’m in.

hawkeye54 on March 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The only ones I’m willing to support at this point are Rand Paul, Ben Carson(should he run) Bobby Jindal and Marco Rubio. Any taxing hiking, Mediacare expanding, foot stomping fat men are off the list. No way, no how.

jawkneemusic on March 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

And just to be clear, all current polls are pure name recognition and personality. Meaningless in my opinion.

EdmundBurke247 on March 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Too soon.

rbj on March 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I’m a Virginian, I support Bob for Governor, but my answer is “Nope.”

EdmundBurke247 on March 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Is it true he’s working with a libertarian to try and undercut Ken Cuccinelli’s bid for the governorship?

jawkneemusic on March 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

“New taxes”, adios.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

o/t – McCain is vomiting his brain on Michael Medved’s show right now. Medved is a true McCain guy.

DanMan on March 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I can’t think of much that I care less about right now.

Either way, my interests, the interests of the country, the economy and the Constitution will not be represented.

Midas on March 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

They should be going after Jeb or Christie, not McDonnel. He’s done.

Flapjackmaka on March 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

OK, I’m with you on the Rubio, Paul, and Christie being more charismatic than McDonnell, but Jindal? I’ve seen telephone poles with more personality than Jindal. Hell, he even gives T-Paw a run for his money.

That’s not to say Jindal isn’t a fine governor or that he wouldn’t make a good President, but I wouldn’t exactly call him charismatic.

DRayRaven on March 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

jawkneemusic on March 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I haven’t heard that.

He promised Bolling his support, and it will be damned interesting what McDonnell does if Bolling now runs as an independent.

To my knowledge, McDonnell hasn’t said he’d support Cuchinelli, but it is early yet.

BacaDog on March 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

McDonnell has a legitimate chance to be a dark horse candidate if he gets in, as he’ll do well in primary debates. The man is both telegenic and does much better than Rubio, Jindal, and Paul in giving succinct, common sense answers to questions. Not saying he’s more intelligent than those three, but he knows how to get the point across. He’d be the anti-Christie in the sense that he’s a Virginian who isn’t going to be brash and unapologetic like Christie. That’ll play well with some voters. He’s not my first choice. Or my second. But we HotAir commenters forget the power that catchy phrases and looking professional (without Huntsman’s smugness) can have on primary voters.

Hostile Gospel on March 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Remember you heard it here first:

Kirsten Gillibrand will be the Dem nominee. No one over 55 need apply anymore.

can_con on March 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Cankles or Krispie Kreme? Why not just jump into boiling cauldron of acid.

LetsBfrank on March 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hostile Gospel on March 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I have always been very impressed with the way McDonnell presents arguments – and I was especially impressed at the convention.

If he does run, I would not be at all surprised to see him wind up being one of those final three with a legitimate shot at the nomination.

This PAC isn’t underestimating him, that’s for sure…even if it is misguided. Despite this lapse, McDonnell is generally conservative.

DRayRaven on March 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Old McDonnell had a farm, I-I-O-O-WA!

Archivarix on March 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

So Christie has the best chance of beating Hillary? Hmmmm, I wonder where the majority of the people answering the poll were from?

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

remember the establishment will fall in line behind one guy early and wait for the conservatives and tea party types to bleed each other. McDonnell might be banking on being that guy.

bannor on March 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Christie is no conservative but I’ll grant him one thing most conservatives lack sorely – he won’t hold a punch back. After the first debate, Hillary will wish that blood clot killed her.

Archivarix on March 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

You know, I am always surprised at those names that float around and those that don’t. Why do governors like Jindal, Perry, McDonnell get named while governers like Utah’s Herbert, or either of the Dakota’s governors, etc? Heck, with the booming economy in the Dakota’s, why NOT them?

There’s lots of governors in the country–so why don’t some of them ever come up either to mock or to even float?

Vanceone on March 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hey jawkneemusic…Why on earth would you support Ben Carson? Not a fan of the second amendment?

hatecraft on March 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie giving her the biggest run for her money:

Clinton 45…Christie 37
Clinton 50…Ryan 38

Sometime in the future…After the media turns on Christie and extensively discusses how he weighs 450 pounds and has a huge temper to go with it……

Clinton 52…Christie 36

So the polling of liberal media darlings like McCain, Romney and Christie were and are ALL meaningless until the media turns on them.

So you can shove all these Christie polls that we are going to get right up the rear.

KMav on March 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Iowans deserve at least a year off from presidential campaigns.”

Sounds like a Republican politician who thought he could pass tax increases and other Democrat policies for a year or so without anyone paying attention.

RJL on March 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Archivarix on March 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Other then his teacher union schtick, can you give me an example or two when he punched a Democrat. When has he punched Obama?

KMav on March 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Iowans deserve at least a year off from presidential campaigns.

No they don’t. All the over-hyped attention that Iowa welcomes during the Presidential season due to being perpetually at the front of the line means exactly that they don’t deserve any breaks.

The Kansas City Chiefs were on the clock as soon as the NFL season ended, Iowa was on the clock as soon as the Presidential election was over. Deal with it.

weaselyone on March 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM

jawkneemusic on March 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well, we have you today, then we had (an accusation) a question that he was surrendering to Obamacare yesterday.

Then we had:

bannor on March 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

This undoubtedly true comment was supported by:

RJL on March 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

And then there was a short line recently calling him a RINO.

I supported the guy, talked to his friends, stole his food and I think he has the makings of a great leader. I am serious.

He is a sharp manager. He is honest. He has common sense and is grounded in traditional values such as pro life and other weird stuff you guys love. Now why not toss the dude out the window when you know nothing about him except he has a transportation plan that raises gas taxes. Have you visited his site? Have you tried to drive in Northern Virginia lately?

I really want to know:

Are you guys really Democrats like some of those who shot anything that moved in early 2008?

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Politics is all about inflicting pain.

Good on whoever did this ad and got press for it.

beatcanvas on March 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

BTW, neither the Governor of Virginia or Gingrich or our POTUS are likely to support anything to my personal benefit.

I just keep looking for the contestant that helps the debate, handles the issues and lifts the nation most.

Speaking of which, Gov. Perry actually seemed scintillating on Greta recently. Wow. I take back some of my comments. See how the stress in the future effects him.

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Tim Pawlenty, Tim Pawlenty…

Add a little Michele Bachmann in there for good measure.

Just too early to tell.

Though it would seem that according to tradition, 2016 is either Paul Ryan’s or Marco Rubio’s to be had.

Logus on March 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Politics is all about inflicting pain.

Good on whoever did this ad and got press for it.

beatcanvas on March 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yea! Why waste money attacking Democrats or liberals when Republicans and centrists make such nice, easy targets?

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Familiar style…Trying to figure out if that commercial emanated from ad agency Shoddhi & Cheep, or perhaps from Myazzin Texas. The cutout style felt distinctly Shoddhi & Cheep, while the production values look like they sprung from Myazzin Texas.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Remember you heard it here first:

Kirsten Gillibrand will be the Dem nominee. No one over 55 need apply anymore.

can_con on March 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I predict Elizabeth Warren.

rrpjr on March 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I really want to know:

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I really want to know too. Did Gov. Bob McDonnell, as claimed in the ad, run on no tax increases and then go on to push for and sign the largest tax increase in Virginia history?

RJL on March 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

RJL on March 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

No, he said he had “no plans” to raise taxes and had leaned toward just that.

BTW, he and a few other governors ignored me and a plan that would have raised revenue without raising taxes while hurting organized crime.

And those guys with the ad are saying what exactly?

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

RJL on March 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Virginia had a problem. I would have bet that he had to raise taxes b/4 he was elected.

Let us just forget the rest of his record and ask Todd Akin or Mitt Romney to run for the republicans in 2016.

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

The Dems and I knew that he had to do something like raise taxes. I didn’t believe that he had a choice except my idea.

I have more reason to hate the dude than anyone here.

If it doesn’t make your head when you read:

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

hatecraft on March 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Of course I’m a fan of the 2nd. I’ve been fighting hard to stop the gun grab here in colorado. That said, while I believe Carson is wildly wrong about what he said on the subject I don’t believe he would be a major threat to the 2nd. I’m hoping with a little education he can over come that silly position. I like Carson because he says what he means and I’m not a single issue voter. We need someone who knows the medical industry. An outsider, someone who believes in a fair tax. We need less lawyers in government and more people like him.

My support for him of course is not guaranteed.

jawkneemusic on March 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

This isn’t about 2016 or even McDonnell to any great extent. It is about getting media to talk about the ad and the PAC’s message. Mission accomplished.

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM