“Wacko birds”: McCain and staff keep dumping on Rand Paul

posted at 10:39 am on March 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

At this point, you’d think he’d tone it down if for no other reason than that he’s doing Paul an incredible favor by continuing to pound on him. The optics simply couldn’t be better. An unsuccessful former party nominee who’s pushing 80 and known for being the most enthusiastic interventionist in American government, tearing a guy apart for making a basic constitutional point about not assassinating American citizens? What?

Don’t forget to send him a thank-you card, Rand. First, from BuzzFeed:

“Either they were drinking a lot at the Obama party or they’re just completely dismissive of what was going on,” said one senior Republican strategist. “They’re living in an alternative universe. I don’t get it at all. You have a party where there’s all this talk about how divided the establishment is from the grassroots, and then you have John McCain and Lindsey Graham come out of left field with this. People are just scratching their heads.”…

Another GOP operative called Graham and McCain “just completely out of touch.”…

“Senator McCain is obviously well aware of the politics of this – he just doesn’t care,” said one McCain aide. “He’s doing what he thinks is right. Unlike many of these guys, he’s actually been involved in a few national security debates over the years. He knows that jumping on the Rand Paul black helicopters crazytrain isn’t good for our Party or our country, no matter what Twitter says.”

Next, via HuffPo, sweet thoughts from the man himself:

“They were elected, nobody believes that there was a corrupt election, anything else,” McCain said. “But I also think that when, you know, it’s always the wacko birds on right and left that get the media megaphone.”

“I think it can be harmful if there is a belief among the American people that those people are reflective of the views of the majority of Republicans. They’re not,” he continued.

I asked McCain to clarify who, specifically, he was talking about.

“Rand Paul, Cruz, Amash, whoever,” McCain said…

“On some issues [McCain] sees him as a fellow maverick, but on some issues I think that pisses [McCain] off, having a maverick against John McCain,” said the Paul adviser, who asked to speak frankly in exchange that he not be identified. “I think he thinks Rand wants his way too much, like on [National Defense Authorization Act] … but I don’t think he thinks he’s doing it just to do it.”

It’s only the “wacko birds” who get the media megaphone? McCain, famously, has been the most ubiquitous guest on Sunday morning political talk shows for years. But wait, one more. This one’s my favorite just because it’s so revealingly petty:

McCain was quick to dismiss Paul’s nearly 13-hour effort since other Republican senators also came to speechify, giving Paul a slight break, even if the Kentucky Republican was unable to excuse himself to even use the restroom.

“Usually, traditionally it’s been one person, makes it a lot easier if you have other people talking for him,” McCain said.

He stood there for 13 hours without a bathroom break and spoke for the vast majority of it — on topic too, not by reading the phone book — but because Ted Cruz chewed up a little bit of time, the whole thing’s illegitimate.

Needless to say, if you want to marginalize Paul and the libertarians, the worst possible moment to do it is when he’s asking for a simple acknowledgment that the president can’t liquidate American citizens suspected of plotting terrorism on American soil without some sort of due process. Of all the civil-libertarian positions one could take on drones, that’s the most modest — no doubt deliberately so, as Paul knows that Obama’s refusal to grant even that much makes him look like Cheney on steroids and reduces his anti-Bush counterterror rhetoric circa 2007 to a joke. You would think Maverick might at least seize the opportunity to note that the guy who beat him five years ago did so in part by campaigning on a lie, but that would mean giving an inch of ground to the isolationists on his own side. So instead he sides with O even though everyone from Reince Priebus to Fox News to the Ron Paul fan base to Jon Stewart is patting Paul on the back, and inexplicably he insists on being nasty about it just in case anyone who enjoyed Paul’s performance hasn’t been completely alienated by McCain yet. Question for my fellow hawks: Is this really the hill to die on vis-a-vis paleocon/libertarian foreign policy? Arguing in favor of a president’s power to fire missiles at an enemy combatant on U.S. soil even if he’s a U.S. citizen and isn’t engaged in terrorism at the time when the FBI could just as easily go in and grab him? If that’s a “wacko bird” position, then a lot of people who agree with it will be left wondering whether the entire mainstream rap on libertarians and paleocons as being “fringe” and “extreme” is a lie. Maverick and Graham need to learn to pick their battles. Exit quotation via Newt: ““What I find sad about Sen. McCain’s recent comments both to Ted Cruz, when Ted Cruz was frankly raising legitimate questions [about Benghazi] and with Rand Paul, is, you know, when I first knew John McCain in the House — he was a maverick. In the Senate, for years, he was a maverick.” Yep. He’s not the maverick here anymore. That’s why he’s being so petty.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Did McCain ever dump on Obama the way he’s dumped on Rand Paul?

HondaV65 on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Nope, he sucked up to your man big time.

katy the mean old lady on March 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Take a look at the people Senator McCain is going after.
What do they have in common??

Oh that’s right, they all got ringing endorsements from
his former running mate..
ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

If McCain could have one thing back from 2008, change or reverse one decision about his campaign, it wouldn’t be any part of his strategy of foolish and perverse pacifism against Obama. It would be his choice of Palin. And, with perfect irony, it’s the only good decision he really made, yielding compounding payoffs to conservatives across the country.

rrpjr on March 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I am just wanting to clarify something pertaining to the guy with the purple lips and my photoshop of him.

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It’s always interesting when AP engages in a thread, but other than that he does have quiet the reputation for, well maintaining a distance, as it were. Unlike Bryan Preston who used to chat with folks here by email on a regular basis, and Ed who has been known to do likewise, Alahpundit, as far as I know remains personally detached and very professionally discreet.

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

You do understand what Alahpundits job here is, right? To provoke discussion and generate traffic? You do understand that is what he gets paid to do right?

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Oh yes.. I understand that the doomsaying is mainly to drive traffic. This is why he spends his time writing posts about how the Republicans are doomed and will never win another election. However, it is also important to point out that this is basically exaggerations to increase comments so that people don’t actually start taking the post seriously.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

You’re a free man, still. You don’t need ‘daddy’s’ ok for anything. That was pretty clear last night.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

telling him he needs to cheat, it just aint right that the cat gets to drink all his beer) ;p

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Ha! Mine sells my reading glasses over the back fence and buys her own beer.

katy the mean old lady on March 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

ROTFLMAO… Yea, well Allahpundit completely redefines the term errr ummm, Kitty Whipped… :P

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Dear Sen. McCain,

Explain to me what is wrong with this picture.

“You’re are upset about Sen. Paul asking for assurances that U.S. citizens will be afforded 5th Amendment (and other) Constitutional protects before a drone strike on U.S. soil. While, at the same time, we are affording UBL’s relatives – conspired to commit acts of war against the United States and are not, to the best of my knowledge, U.S. citizens – all the constitutional protections offered by an Article III court.”

If you don’t understand why we think you have your outrage backwards, then maybe you should retire from the Senate. Because right now, you look like someone who is desperately trying to remain relevant.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on March 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Bmore, do a red-tie, Messina thing, with McCain. Just add to the Matthews/Messina series. Next, Ms. Lindsey. Make her female, for best effect.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Take a look at the people Senator McCain is going after.
What do they have in common??

Oh that’s right, they all got ringing endorsements from
his former running mate..
ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

rrpjr on March 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Spot on.

I’ve said since oh, about 2009, that MCain did one thing
100% RIGHT in 2008. He picked one of the finest politicians
I’ve ever seen as his running mate…the payoff for Conservatives
is striking…..

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Thank you Bmore and I forgot the “please, please, please”.

AP was the master of photoshops. It’s a pity he doesn’t resume that incredible talent.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Justin Amash is the real deal too. He’s a Rep in the House from MI-3 and tweeted support for Rand Paul. I think he was one of the 15 House members that went to the Senate during Rand’s filibuster.
He’s also one that Boehner/Cantor/McCarthy stripped of their Committee slots. Very outspoken and voted against Boehner as Speaker. There is more, but this is just from memory:-)
Disclaimer: I’m not from Michigan:-)
bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Nice summary. As his constituent for 2 years, I added a lot of local perspective in the Carl levin retiring thread. Amash might run for senate. Now that he has been slurred by McCain, it should give Amash even more street cred for support and fund raising. He is wildly popular with the tea party here.

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Won’t surprise me if the Establishment is making deals (foolishly) to help Obama if they cooperate with them. These last 3 House votes with a MINORITY of Republicans makes you wonder if their is a deal with democrats and Obama going on.

Conan on March 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Of course they were. Sadly, at the same time they were pretending to represent the whole party whilst dining with The One, a coup was taking place on the Senate floor. I would love to have heard the conversation between McCain and Miz Linsey when they discovered they were no longer relevant.:)

a capella on March 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I’ve never said they’ll never win another election and I’ve never said Hillary will win a 50-state landslide. I said she’ll be very tough to beat. There’s not a single Republican pol in America, from Rubio to Rand Paul to Ted Cruz to Lindsey Graham to John McCain, who thinks otherwise.

And no, the “doomsaying” isn’t an affectation designed to drive traffic. I always give my honest opinion. I’d much rather you accuse me of being stupid than of being dishonest.

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Note to self: The commenters aren’t actually reading the posts, or at least they’re not reading them closely.

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Note to AP – ignore stupid comments. They’d distract you all day, every day.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Gotta run….The Amish Mafia is local here….
..and they’re pizzed!! HA!

Hey, put that Shoo Fly pie down!!!!

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I dunno. I think the doomsaying will prove remarkably prescient, what with the current electorate and all. The GOP may never win another national election, we could see the Dems controlling all 3 branches in 2014.

The awesome of Rand and the other young bucks in Congress do give me mild hope though.

happytobehere on March 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Dude, you of all people should know better than feeding the trolls.

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I think what depresses us is that she shouldn’t be so hard to beat. She was an incompetent SecState, looked impotent hilariously incompetent during and after Benghazi, and she’s a political legacy in a society that claims to dislike legacy politicians.

Of course, they just claim that; they don’t really mean it.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Well we know how to deal with people who dodge simple questions now, don’t we?

#StandforBmore

RINO in Name Only on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Of course, they just claim that; they don’t really mean it.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Hillary has, n my personal opinion done the J Edgar Hoover routine, in other words she has the FBI files on everyone who might be her opponent… That makes her very difficult to beat.

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I called them the Doom Quadrant but forgot about Jazz.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a big round of applause for The Doom Quintet:

Ed “always working” Morrisey
Mary Katherine “doubletime” Hammer
Erika “snarkdown” Johnson
Jazz “the weekender” Shaw
And the indefatigable Allahpundit

No finer dissonant harmonies in the business!

That’s why I am back daily. Cheers

can_con on March 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I’d much rather you accuse me of being stupid than of being dishonest.

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You’re neither – and you’ve eaten your share of crow, about occasional erroneous predictions, right here, in the HA theater, often that of the absurd.

You’re at your best when you are witty-snippy, in a very sharp/playful way. You haven’t been that in a long time. Times are stupid, for major/minor reasons.

Ignore the foolishness. The cat/beer will give you more comfort.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

May it be so! Thanks for the info.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

happytobehere on March 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

If you go back and look over the record Allahpundit has been remarkably accurate in his predictions. He may not be Pollyanna, ok, he is down right Eeyoreish, but he is right (frustratingly so) more often than he’s wrong.

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Ok then, honestly stupid it is.

whatfur on March 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

To my knowledge the only successful campaign Steve ScHmIdT ever managed was Swcwarzenegger’s and Aronld was a celebrity running against a governor who was being recelled.

bw222 on March 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

What is really funI ny…..I read Steve Schmidt’s praise for Rand
Paul in an article this morning. I burst out laughing! He is
obviously looking for a job. After he screwed up McCain’s
campaign and continues to lie about and bash Palin, Rand Paul would be a fool to hire him. Can positive comments from Nicole Wallace be far behind?

This political arena is becoming so predictable when one starts
paying attention. So entertaining.

Amjean on March 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I agree with your first comments also, but the Establishment Republicans are to me the Old Guard. Some of the new ones, certainly can be RINOS but not in the same class as the E.R.

I don’t think Rand Paul is so ignorant as Romney to hire the McCain losers. The one he needs to be careful of is McConnell & not confide in him. McConnell is sticking close to Paul, because he’s up for election in 2014.

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Which one do you think that we’re going to win then? The Oklahoma Senate seats?

Well, it certainly seems that you think that we’re headed straight to one party Democratic rule based on your own posts. For instance, if one thinks that the demographics of the country are becoming less white and that it is unlikely that these minority groups (Latinos and Asians) are natural Democratic constituencies, then the logical conclusion that I can draw from that analysis is that it is going to be impossible for the Republicans to win another national election.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

If John McCain was president we would today have U.S. troops fighting in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Mali, and probably Iran, Egypt, Tunisia, Georgia (not the U.S. state, to fight the Russians)…and probably a half dozen other places I have forgotten about.

All the while China would be laughing their asses off watching us waste resources and men in useless parts of the world, while they were building their forces up in Asia, a place that does actually matter to the U.S.

William Eaton on March 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

So you also think that it is unlikely that Rs will ever win an election again. Correct? Because if that is the case, please let me know. It really is a pain to stand in line and vote.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

but he is right (frustratingly so) more often than he’s wrong.

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Because he reports what is, not what one/he wishes w/b. It frustrates many of the ‘believers’ but it doesn’t change reality.

Reality is that the GOP is fluked, for good reasons. I hope they go under. It’s self-made and well deserved. They have destroyed the land like the others, for different reasons, and being sissies/enablers of the Utopians.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It really is a pain to stand in line and vote.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You’re goofing off. Standing in line to vote is a huuuuuge privilege.

Real pain is indignant.

This is pain, and the left do nothing.

Obama furthers the muzzie brothershood and the Arab’spring’, alas. The UN does too.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Name names McCain. Let’s start with the names of a few of the “wacko birds” on the left, the ones in the Senate.

This BS tactic of leaving people wondering “is he talking about me?” is a classic troll tactic on the internet. Now we have US Senators doing it.

farsighted on March 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

We agree on something. Things are changing folks, be happy.

VegasRick on March 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Most people basically agree about the Constitutional rights of individual citizens, once all of the collectivist factionalism is stripped out, that’s why the ruling class has to divide all of us into two parties to take them away. That’s why they have to use propaganda and lies and dog-and-pony-shows, pretending like there are “two parties” instead of trying to amend the Constitution.

The ruling class tries to convince people that nobody cares about the Constitution and Bill of Rights anymore, other than extremists, but they are lying. If it were true they would stop lying and start amending.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Hillary is a “concept” candidate. Lots of women and liberals love the concept of her as president. But remember the HillaryCare fail , “I’m no ways tard” , 2008 primaries,… whenever she’s front and center she losses luster. She’s not a master performer like Bill. And she’s going to be older and more tard.

She’s the front runner and I could see her win on wave of You Go Girl but I could also see her flame out in the primary.

BoxHead1 on March 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

What a dumb thing to say.

Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Honestly, I don’t think Rand could have written himself a better script. I’m on of John McCain’s constituents and he’s totally jumped the shark on this one.

Stand with Rand. I’m going full-on Libertarian now.

Crefonso on March 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Wait, RINO POS stabbing Republicans in the back…shocker. Backstabbing trash needs to just become a democrat. F him!

Doomsday on March 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

If it were true they would stop lying and start amending.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Or just do away with the Constitution altogether…

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

budfox on March 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Were it not for Palin, neither Rand Paul and Ted Cruz might not have survived their primary fights.

bw222 on March 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

You do know what the purpose of a filibuster is, right? You don’t have to talk about the subject for the entire time….the longest filibuster ever, over 24hrs – conducted by SC Rep Strom Thurmond, consisted – in large part for a while – of him reading right out of the Washington DC and other PHONE BOOKS. The intent is to draw attention to the subject, to give the American people time to find out what the issue is and have the opportunity to get involved.

In the end, the purpose of Paul’s filibuster was to force Eric Holder/Obama to ‘cave’ & give him the answer to the question Issa asked Holder in a Congressional hearing — ‘Is perpetrating a drone strike on a US citizen on US soil Constitutional?’ Holder refused to answer, only offering ‘It is not appropriate’. As I pointed out, out of the Countless hours of Congressional hearings during which the GOP – like Graham & McCain – tried to get answers from this administration, they failed to do so on scandal/issue-after-scandal/issue. In just under 13 hours, Paul succeeded.

easyt65 on March 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Last night’s QotD had a vid. with Toure. He calls us “savages” and no one on the panel disagrees with him. He repeated it at least 3 times.

The media are most all Obama latrine slush, no more.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thank you. I haven’t read that thread yet, but will take a look.

Well, with Levin retiring I think he should run. Not only McCain’s slur (which someone said wasn’t an aside) he is on Boehner’s list of persona non grata. If he decides, tell him to contact Sarah and also the Senate Conservative Fund as they are looking for good Candidates to support. They do a great job.

Oh, I left you a comment on the original Paul filibuster thread:-)

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM

McCain’s comments are the equivalent of an old guy in a rocking chair screaming at some kids, “GET OFF MY LAWN!!!”.

FreeManOtis on March 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Outside of an old television western series, a ‘maverick’ is about as welcome to any working operation as a loose cannon was on the deck of a sailing vessel. It’s not an appellation most people would choose. McCain adopted it out of necessity in order to make his frequent deal making across the aisle for the sake of political expediency appear to be something smart and courageous.

thatsafactjack on March 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Statesmen, traitors and evil men.

Maverick?

I think he believes that he is being a statesman. His actions on the enhanced interrogation where it denied its results and even our use of it, could be seen in the same way. We have to present a certain face to the world. Since I was never captured adn tutr ored as he was, I can’t imagine his feelings.

There is also possibly a jealousy component.

I understand where the poster above is coming from. Unfortunately, I don’t call anyone a “traitor” for merely dining with this administration. How do you govern if you don’t speak to one another?

Ford has called four different vehicles the Maverick! The latest is the Euro version of the Escape.

In case you missed it, the MSNBC crew couldn’t wait to paste our “Mr. Smith” as evil. It was amusing to see their hosts try to dance around the clear morality and unassailability of Rand Paul’s position. As Dr. K pointed out on Fox, it was brilliant.

We need a news special on how nice it is to perish by drone and show it to these tender hearts.

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Okay, well, I tried to ask. Maybe Ed?

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I applaud Paul’s use of the REAL, old-school filibuster as well. Hardly anyone uses that anymore. Part of the reason is because you actually have to stand up there & keep talking, to do the work. Instead, the elitist ‘establishment’ GOP & DNC elitist us a ‘virtual filibuster’. this is where you declare your intent to hold a filibuster except you don’t actually have to have one because the other side basically says, ‘Filibuster intent acknowledged, the issue is tabled for now’…unless it is something that other side really wants to push through. In cases like this, as McCain has whown, when the opponents reject the ‘virtual filibuster’ ‘you’ just cave in & give the opponent what he wants instead of ‘manning up’ & conducting a REAL filibuster!

WUSSY Elitist establishment-politicians use this virtual filibuster because they do not have the passion, conviction, or desire to stand up for anything anymore enough to conduct a real filibuster. Good for you, Rand Paul!

easyt65 on March 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Allahpundit on March 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Very true. While most of us view Hillary’s tenure as SOS as a failure, the MSM portrayed it as a great success. There are two groups that trust the media (according to Gallup): the far left and the least educated (aka low information voters).

bw222 on March 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Oh, honey. Jealousy is a dress that should never be worn in public.

cptacek on March 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

oop! #shade

libfreeordie on March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

God, I can’t believe I once got cornered into voting for this turd.

peski on March 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I didn’t vote for him. I voted for Sarah.

cptacek on March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Out with the Grand Old Party (McCain, Graham, etc), In with the Grand New Party, (Paul, Cruz, etc).

Whiterock on March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

C4P has put out an SOS on this:

AyePatriot•3 hours ago−

Anyone in Colorado? Please help us STAND! CO Republicans Planning a Rand Paul-esque Filibuster Over Tough Gun Control Legislation

Phone numbers and names on those that intend to filibuster and they are calling for support!!

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Keep at it, McCant. Love how you just utterly miss the boat on this in every single way imaginable.

Old farts never die… they just linger until you open the window and finally fade away.

Myron Falwell on March 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Kerry is on the job.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Whiterock on March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Love it!! GNP, awesome.

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Hope ‘n Change

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

God, I can’t believe I once got cornered into voting for this turd.

peski on March 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I didn’t vote for him. I voted for Sarah.

cptacek on March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

THIS.

Myron Falwell on March 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Or just do away with the Constitution altogether…

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, they could promote a Constitutional Amendment to do away with the Constitution, but We The People wont support it, so they have to divide and conquer us one law at a time; drip, drip, drip.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Sophie, indeed, they always do.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Can’t quite figure McCain out, hes for arming Syrian Rebels, who at last check are mostly AQ are affiliates. Hes for Brennan, who may or may not be a Muslim convert and always stood up for Huma (daughter of the Muslim Brotherhood). He defended Candidate Obama against what he stated as untruths (accused of being a Muslim). I guess one could say all of this protection is of a noble nature, but then again. Some of these people want to destroy America. Maybe, his latest actions dictate what side hes on.

DDay on March 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM

At the reach-around dinner on Wednesday, Obysmal must have asked McCain (and Graham) to rein in the Senate members on the Right. Both weasels were glad to do their part, having been offered to dine with the emperor.

Seriously, McCain is past his use-by date. His bloviating is insufferable. There is no problem around the world that he doesn’t think can be solved by bombs from the sky. National security is a Constitutional responsibility, yes, but not McCain’s nor Obysmal’s way.

onlineanalyst on March 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Those were dark times for HA. After the election Ed Morrisey was demanding that we shouldn’t rush to judgement on the rat-eared wonder. That he needed to be given a chance to show what a super awesome post-partisan leader he was going to be.

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Ed would make a great mascot for the McCain-Graham wing of the GOP. As I have said numerous times, Ed is not a conservative, never has been one and never will be one.

bw222 on March 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Screw you McLame..seriously, screw you and Grahmnesty

sadsushi on March 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The reason Hillary Clinton has so much support is because so many on the right side of the aisle pretzel twisted her into acceptable and rooted for her to beat Obama in 2008. Once one is able to “make acceptable” what would never have been acceptable previously under one’s political or moral code, it is more difficult to uncheck the “acceptabiity” box.

For me, Benghazi unchecked Hillary Clinton’s “acceptability” box; however, as a woman, I am constantly dismayed at many of my fellow females reasoning on why they vote for emotions rather than what is good for them or for their country.

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Kerry is on the job.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Sorry, wrong thread. S/b in the N. Korea thread.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Of course, they just claim that; they don’t really mean it.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Prediction:

The Rand Paul frontal attack is just the first volley of Republican artillery for 2014 and 2016.

It seems that even the beltway crowd is taking a measure of the changing winds. I am laughing at the dolts and wiping away my tears.

The people who treated me like dirt, ran away from innovation and even patriotism, wanted to take a broad center position, hated the far right and even watched silently as the administration crushed critics — are barking like mad dogs now.

The main impetus is that this administration, even with the media’s help, seems to lose every time they are forcefully opposed.

We shall see how long it lasts.

IlikedAUH2O on March 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

“Stunned bunnies”

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

It’s not the black helicopter crowd. It’s the drone crowd. There’s a difference.

John the Libertarian on March 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Kerry is on the job.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Sorry, wrong thread. S/b in the N. Korea thread.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

He has got three purple hearts so he can do anything!

melle1228 on March 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I didn’t vote for him. I voted for Sarah.

cptacek on March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yup, same here, loved Sarah, but still had to hold my nose because of McVain.

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

“McCain and Graham…are prisoners of the past”.

- Newt Gingrich

Takes one to know one and all that, but still…

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

onlineanalyst on March 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It’s worse than that – I read in one article that Graham was the one who made up the guest list of Senators invited to dine with Obama.

We should all be looking at the people who dined with Obama as the ones most likely to vote to give away the farm – in this case, the “farm” being our personal rights to freedom and sovereignty.

Based on the comments that McCain and Graham have made about Rand Paul’s filibuster, I can come to no other conclusion than that Rand Paul is spot on when he says McGraham see America and the whole world as a battlefield. This is not our history with the exception of the Civil War — and even the Civil War was a fight between 2 declared nations. The fact that a soldier or government agent from the USA killed a soldier or government agent from the CSA – two warring nations — is not an acceptable basis for the current USA to kill one of its own citizens whether on foreign or domestic soil without due process of law.

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

McCain – It’s time for you to retire.
You are now officially part of the problem.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

He has got three purple hearts so he can do anything!

melle1228 on March 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

He’s only got one…it’s dark.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

It’s not about drones. They are just a form of weapon.

It’s about the constitution, presidential power, judge/jury/executioner, the law.

What idiots most people are.

Rand Paul’s filibuster provided an incredible lesson…alas, the obtuse were out shopping or singing “lalalalalalala, we trust Obama”.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

It’s an incredible shame that only one D senator spoke up for the constitution and liberty/due process, and that no women spoke at all. Ayotte was out with Obama.

The convoy of 22 cars and security elements…during the sequester, just to eat with Obama, who doesn’t give a damn about you, or the money taxpayers provide, while telling folks that you starve children…How stupid the Rs are.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Must-See-To-Believe Pic of the Day: Democrats, Stand Athwart History Yelling “Stop!” At Your Own Peril!

So beautiful!

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yes it is. I think Paul has caused a political earthquake.

I also read that 5 Dems came up to Paul afterwards in support; off camera of course. Can’t remember if I read it on HA or some other site.

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Yes, I posted it last night. He said it to Greta last night. The weasels didn’t have the courage to speak on the floor, but congratulated him afterward.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

“Senators McCain and Graham, you have sat too long for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!”

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

novaculus ‏@novaculus

Thanks McCain & Graham for speaking out against Rand Paul today, proving how completely tone-deaf & out-of-touch you tools are. #Losers

2:35 PM – Mar 7, 2013

Tweeted yesterday. GMTA

novaculus on March 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Benghazi proved, without any doubt, that she’s as dumb as Obama when the phone rings at 3:00a.m.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I have read your comments for many eons and found them very insightful. Thank you.

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

You’re goofing off. Standing in line to vote is a huuuuuge privilege

Well, people could also “vote” in Egypt before the Arab Spring, so the act of voting itself is meaningless. What is meaningful is being able to enact change. If it gets to the point of America having one party rule because of demographics, then why should I actually bother voting. I’m not really interested in lodging a meaningless protest vote for someone who will receive a third of the vote and I’ll never in my life vote for a Democrat.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

#ImAWackoBirdBecause

Now trending.

novaculus on March 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thank you, GG. You should be here way more often.

This sums it up:

RT @HeathMayo Breaking: For the 1st time since Obama was elected in 2008, the Founders have stopped spinning in their graves!

Fight, fight, fight

p.s. nice dog

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

2012 was the last of my “lesser of two evils – I’m not the other fool”. I was ‘dragged, kicking and screaming’ for Romney.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Well, yea, that plus drunk as Ted Kennedy at 3am…

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I think part is because they liked Bill Clinton. The women’s rights group did not support her at all.

My opinion is that anyone that carried out Obama’s orders/policies is not fit for office, least of all the Presidency.

bluefox on March 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

McCain has done more to damage liberty in the USA than anyone will care to admit. This tottering olde fool needs to kick off to his great reward now.

tom daschle concerned on March 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Well, yea, that plus drunk as Ted Kennedy at 3am…

SWalker on March 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Plus even more ‘apt’ as Obama at sozi-commie causes. She makes Bill appear mild and balanced.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

GTFO John. Get this idiot out of the GOP.

WisCon on March 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I thought that was a good quote and good place to stop the other night.

Phantom thanks you for the compliment. He is now my GIANT blue merle collie. I really need to post a new pic. :)

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

So where is bluegill in all of this..? I notice her silence on this whole issue. Is Romney the only “moderate” hill she dies on?

melle1228 on March 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

She came to bash Palin and left.

cptacek on March 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

True, but, unlike McCain, Romney is a decent human being. He didn’t abandon his wife because of health problem.

bw222 on March 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Resist We Much on March 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Pro tip: Make sure you have your crucifix and holy water handy when you do this.

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

melle1228 on March 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Actually, bluegill is interested in any man who is still breating. Attractive powerful females with lots of accomplishments – not so much.

bw222 on March 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM