Juan Williams: I didn’t plagiarize that think tank, I plagiarized my researcher who plagiarized it

posted at 4:37 pm on March 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, the material apparently went from point A (the Center for American Progress) to point B (the researcher) to point C (the final column) with little alteration, by Williams’s own admission. Just to be clear: Is the B-to-C transaction so routine among pro columnists that Williams can safely use it as an ethical defense to A-to-B plagiarism? The way, say, a congressman might defend a charge that he’s been bribed by insisting no, he was merely “lobbied”? B-to-C differs from A-to-B insofar as B knows he’s being plagiarized, but the fact remains that C’s still passing off someone else’s work as his own.

You know, when this happened on “The Golden Girls,” Dorothy had the self-respect to quit working for the former teacher who took her research and put his own byline on it. Take note, unnamed Juan Williams employee. From Salon:

In a phone interview Thursday evening, Williams pinned the blame on a researcher who he described as a “young man.”

“I was writing a column about the immigration debate and had my researcher look around to see what data existed to pump up this argument and he sent back what I thought were his words and summaries of the data,” Williams told Salon. “I had never seen the CAP report myself, so I didn’t know that the young man had in fact not summarized the data but had taken some of the language from the CAP report.”

Hugo Gurdon, the editor in chief of The Hill, told Salon on Thursday evening that: “CAP drew the similarities between Juan’s column and their report to my attention and I spoke to Juan about it. He went back and looked at the two and spoke to me having had a look and acknowledged there were unacceptable similarities.

“And he gave me an explanation, which I found satisfactory. And I believe there was an honest mistake and it related to the transfer of copy and the use of a researcher and it was completely inadvertent. He was very concerned to set the record straight.

If mindlessly repackaging material that originated on left-wing websites is ethically unsound, how does MSNBC still exist?

I do like Ace’s idea, though, of certain columnists maybe moving from a traditional byline to a “producer” credit or something similar, like “House of X” in fashion or “School of Y” in art. Part of the value in a Juan Williams or Fareed Zakaria column is the fact that they’re widely recognized from other media ventures. As a publisher, you’re paying partly or mostly for the byline. So if they’re busy and up against a deadline, just let ‘em subcontract the space and keep the name on the page somewhere. “These Wingnuts Are At It Again, by Dorothy Zbornak, from the House of Juan Williams.” Problem solved. You’re welcome, journalism.

Comments

Yeah, I don’t mind this too much assuming Williams is telling the truth. It’d be one thing if he directly lifted the material without attribution but it doesn’t seem like what happened.

Doomberg on March 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It was a complete accident … happens all the time.

listens2glenn on March 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

To plagiarize that which has been plagiarized is a double-negative, which means he plagiarized.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Juanalism: when you quote inane arguments without checking their veracity and sourcing first.

beatcanvas on March 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Why not recycle stupidity instead of contributing more original stupidity to the stupidverse?

Juan just wants a a smaller stupid-print. I have no problem with that.

LetsBfrank on March 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

The presence of Juan Williams, on Fox News, is one of the reasons that I quit watching Fox News.

If I wanted to listen to a Commie, I’d watch MSNBC, CNN, et al.

Oh, and the other reason was Dick … D – I – C – K … Morris.

Oh, dayum … and Karl Rove.

I guess that I had a lot of reasons to abandon Fox News.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Yes, but Juan looks down his nose at mere bloggers.

John the Libertarian on March 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

just another libtard hack who really just needs to disappear…

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Pact with Satan, is my best guess.

squint on March 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Does this mean that Juan is a shoe-in for a NYT editorial spot?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Nooo – wait a minute – a double negative makes a positive – therefore, that must make him now the original author – meaning the other writers actually plagiarized him.?.?….

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Hey, God didn’t actually write the Bible, did he?

myiq2xu on March 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

If I wanted to listen to a Commie, I’d watch MSNBC, CNN, et al.

Oh, and the other reason was Dick … D – I – C – K … Morris.

Oh, dayum … and Karl Rove.

I guess that I had a lot of reasons to abandon Fox News.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I stay for Red Eye.

squint on March 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM

who are these researchers and how do I get one of those jobs?

Jackalope on March 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Hey, God didn’t actually write the Bible, did he?

myiq2xu on March 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

He had a bunch of ghost writers – I don’t think that’s the same as plagiarism….

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I guess that I had a lot of reasons to abandon Fox News.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I never could stand Alan Colmes.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I mean who would have expected that the person I hired to do the work I got paid to do but didn’t feel like doing wouldn’t feel like doing it either?

What is this world coming to? I sure hope he hadn’t hired a illegalundocumentedperson who should be a citizen for this job.

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Wow, who knew that Juan was a Senate Staffer for Joe Biden
way back when…..

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I didn’t not, not, not, not plagiarize.

In essence, I’m a “double-naught” contributor to Fox News.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I never could stand Alan Colmes.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Oh, man, I forgot the gag, plastic chicken toy.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You know, when this happened on “The Golden Girls,”

Someone must watch the Hallmark Channel after posting the nightly QOTD.

steebo77 on March 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

“…I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.”

~Kenny Rogers

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I stay for Red Eye.

squint on March 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I’ve pretty much abandoned it all, except for a little bit of Laura Ingraham and Mark Levin.

But, all of the commercials make me want to bail on them, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Another hint about Allapundits sexuality. /

portlandon on March 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Obviously headlines at Huffpo et al will read: “Faux News contributor plagiarizes”

Jackalope on March 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Part of the value in a Juan Williams or Fareed Zakaria column…

Wait—who said what, now?

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

“…I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.”

~Kenny Rogers

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I remember when that song was a rotation regular on the radio.

:O\

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Still groovy!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I didn’t not, not, not, not plagiarize.
In essence, I’m a “double-naught” contributor to Fox News.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Pinnochio being interrogated in Shrek (whichever one of the Shrek movies).

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

FNC is paying Juan Williams $2 million dollars a year for this? LOL!

Can’t help thinking back to that time, when it was first reported how much Juan was getting paid, that several of the Fox News personalities seemed to be a bit ticked off.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM

So its plagiarized plagiarism.

Whoopie says: “Its not rape rape”

BobMbx on March 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM

“…I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.”

~Kenny Rogers

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Vintage Kenny Rogers, before his face got all weird.

squint on March 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Wow, who knew that Juan was a Senate Staffer for Joe Biden
way back when…..

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I think the position was referred to as ‘porter’, as in someone who handles passenger bags for train rides to Delaware.

BobMbx on March 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Still groovy!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

LOL, far out, Man!

:O)

P.S. I, also, remember when the Association’s … Feeling Groovy … was a rotation regular.

:O/

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

“…I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.”

~Kenny Rogers

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

hey girl!

And here’s another.

“No, I better not look, I just MIGHT be in there”

Foghorn Leghorn, Warner Bros.

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Hey advertisers: instead of wasting 2 million dollars a year paying Fox News and Juan Williams, give it to The Blaze instead.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Oops, that was the 59th Street Bridge’s song.

I guess that I had Windy, in mind.

Anyway, I’m old.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

The bigger issue here is that there seems to be a lack of pride in work nowadays. It used to be a man learned a skill that not everyone could do and got paid for that skill. Now all you need is a college intern to do all the grunt work- put your name on it-and get paid for it.

OliverB on March 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM

“No, I better not look, I just MIGHT be in there”

Foghorn Leghorn, Warner Bros.

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

One of my all-time fav, Foghorn Leghorn, bits.

It was when Egghead, Jr., was showing him his calculations.

Oh man, great stuff.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Who doesn’t draw life lessons from The Golden Girls?

rustynca on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

MKH is going to jump right in the middle of yer $hit Allah…

They’re kinda buddies you know…

BigWyo on March 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Sooo, this moron who manages to recite administration talking points word-for-word also copies text onto paper, word-for-word. Anyone else, sans protective melanin, would be branded a plagiarist, if not a token stenographer. But since he does the protective coating, can a Pulitzer be far off?

Western_Civ on March 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

One of my all-time fav, Foghorn Leghorn, bits.

It was when Egghead, Jr., was showing him his calculations.

Oh man, great stuff.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yup, the Foghorn Leghorn ones were some of the best satire
ever put out!

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Wanted: Research assistant. Must have ability to proficiently mince words.

Rovin on March 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Who woulda thought! I thought all that BS spewing from his mouth was his very own…..and I too, pretty much have abandoned FOX News. I have no idea what Roger Ailes has been drinking to have moved in the direction he has. Could be the same KoolAid all the other network execs seem to swill.

tomshup on March 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I see two problems here. Both are named Juan Williams.

First, what credible journalist is going to plagerize from his employee- among those most likely to recognize their words and thoughts under another’s byline. Professional ethics violation 1.

Secondly, what credible journalist is going to accept work from his researcher that doesn’t cite the sources? It is laziness on Williams part that he thought he could cut-and-paste from a nobody and make it into a column under his own byline. Williams doesn’t make the salary he does for cut-and-paste effort. Professional ethics violation 2.

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Juan is just following the lead of his hero, Dear Leader. It’s always someone else’s fault.

farsighted on March 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

FishbowlDC: Politico, Salon, Overhype Juan Williams’ ‘Plagiarism’

StewartIII on March 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

MKH is going to jump right in the middle of yer $hit Allah…

They’re kinda buddies you know…

BigWyo on March 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Emeritus trumps Hammer.

can_con on March 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

“Mistakes were made…”

Juan’s been in DC so long he’s acquired up the political gene for blaming underlings.

jangle12 on March 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM

hey girl!

And here’s another.

“No, I better not look, I just MIGHT be in there”

Foghorn Leghorn, Warner Bros.

ToddPA on March 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Howdy, Todd! Foghorn Leghorn used to crack my dad up. I never–I say I never–got the corn pone charm.

LOL, far out, Man!

:O)

:O/

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

“Life, I love you–always groovy!”
Not same song, but same vein: Cheerios Commercial: Feelin’ Groovy

Vintage Kenny Rogers, before his face got all weird.

squint on March 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I know, right? If he weren’t all leathery he’d be Michael Jackson creepy!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

So basically Juan Williams is saying, “I didn’t plagiarize that think tank, I plagiarized my researcher who plagiarized it.”

At least that’s my take on this. It seems like the material apparently went from point A (the Center for American Progress) to point B (the researcher) to point C (the final column) with little alteration, by Williams’s own admission. What I wonder is, Is the B-to-C transaction so routine among pro columnists that Williams can safely use it as an ethical defense to A-to-B plagiarism? The way, say, a congressman might defend a charge that he’s been bribed by insisting no, he was merely “lobbied”? True, B-to-C differs from A-to-B insofar as B knows he’s being plagiarized, but the fact remains that C’s still passing off someone else’s work as his own.

boko fittleworth on March 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

A reference to Golden Girls? AP, is your grandma interning from you and did you just plagiarize her work?

besser tot als rot on March 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Juan Williams is too stupid and too race-blinded for me to care if he is also a plagiarist.

He’s an idiot … isn’t that bad enough for a political commentator?

Jaibones on March 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Barry plagiarized Deval Patirck’s campaign in 2008 : Hope and Change and all that. Attacking Juan will cause Oberlin to cancel classes.

BHO Jonestown on March 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Then too, it might just be the stress from the worry of the facts of what the black troops under Gen. Sherman did to the camps of the Apache when there was no one there but the women and children.

That would mess up the narative big time.

You can see the stress in his eyes due to the face lift he had to pay for due to the worry lines.

like that

false profit

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Fake teeth smiling too also.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Who doesn’t draw life lessons from The Golden Girls?

rustynca on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Word. I learned from Blanche, if you look down into a mirror on the counter, you’ll see what you’d look like if you gained twenty pounds.

Fallon on March 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It’s OK when liberals do that, don’t you remember how that goes?

Philly on March 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Blaming others is an old and popular excuse… There’s a history professor at Arizona State University, who blamed his freelance editor: he gave an outline to a freelance editor to fill in with facts and references and “unfortunately and unknown to me, the freelance editor inserted verbatim sections from Wikipedia and other online sources without rewording them and without quotations or attribution.”

Goll dang! Imagine that!

Hill60 on March 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Sounds like just plain laziness to me. Bottom line is, if you write an article, you are the one responsible for the content of it, not the researcher.

scalleywag on March 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Stuart Smalley’s next book:

Lies Plagiarizing and the Lying Liars Plagiarizing Plagiarizers Who Tell Them Plagiarize: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right Left

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The only new info I took from this is that you watch golden girls.

TeeRand on March 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Does this mean that Juan is a shoe-in for a NYT editorial spot?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Just shows us how committed Fox News is to “truth in reporting”. Even NYT did the right thing and FIRED someone for similar offense and yet Fox is not.

Red Eye is the only reason for me to watch Fox these days. Too bad my wife still watches RINO Hannety (she finally stopped watching The Blowhard Bill) and Greta (regurgitating days’ old news.

riddick on March 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

In related news sleazy Eric Holder blames the multitudes he killed and the gun manufacturers for his massive serial killer triumph called Fast & Furious….

viking01 on March 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

JUAN WILLIAMS: Listen, I’ll tell you what. I’ll tell you what, Michelle, I’m a real reporter, I am not a blogger.

RickinNH on March 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

And … later in the interview:

“No, no … my nose is not brown because of where it’s been … it was brown long before I stuck it up obama’s butt.”

Pork-Chop on March 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

No. But I remember on “Too Close for Comfort” when Monroe Ficus went on a date with a really old lady who looked much like Estelle Getty (as Cher’s mom in Mask, not Sophia on Golden Girls)

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Alternate Hot Air headline:

Beta Male Refers to Golden Girls Episode

Alberta_Patriot on March 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Nothingburger here. I can’t imagine that if he hired a research assistant that there wouldn’t be a clause in the contract that all the work produced by the assistant belongs to Juan. The blame then falls on the assistant to note that this was pulled from another copyrighted source without input from the assistant.

AH_C on March 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

the similarities between Juan’s column and their report to my attention and I spoke to Juan about it. He went back and looked at the two and spoke to me having had a look and acknowledged there were unacceptable similarities…they were taped into Juan’s telepathic mind…it was their fault!

KOOLAID2 on March 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Or they could just do like the V.C. Andrews novel franchise. The woman’s been dead for nearly 30 years, and yet her name still appears on the cover of new books. I believe she has “written” on more books after her death than before her death. If you look closely, the author name is now V.C. Andrews(R).

We could have Juan Williams(R), and his name could appear on columns for decades after his death.

CJ on March 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Illustrates how empty the liberals really are……….

ultracon on March 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Not to justify it, but this is the concept that academic research is built upon. A liberal nitwit reads five papers about a particular topic and writes a paper that is vaguely based on the five that he just read! What a sham!

MDLibertyLover on March 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I didn’t steal that TV. I “borrowed” it from my brother who stole it from Walmart.

Tazed and Confused on March 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM

So then at best he blindly parroted what his fact-finding gopher dug up for him because he couldn’t do original research or come up with an original thought to save his life.

If the man had any brains or shame he’d at least take a look at the source of what he was about to present as his own work.

MelonCollie on March 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM