Insurers raise California health care rates; state officials doth protest

posted at 12:21 pm on March 8, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

California was the first state to eagerly volunteer to get crackin’ on implementing ObamaCare, but with thousands of insurance premiums all set to get more expensive for consumers, state officials are busily trying to blame the symptoms instead of the disease — as blue-state progressives are wont to do. The LA Times reports:

Officials at the California Department of Managed Health Care said increases that average more than 11% for about 47,000 individual and small-business policyholders of Blue Shield and Aetna were unreasonable. But state officials don’t have the authority to reject changes in premiums, and increasingly health insurers refuse state demands to lower rates.

“I am disappointed that after lengthy negotiations, Blue Shield and Aetna were unwilling to bring their proposed health plan increases down to a reasonable level,” said Brent Barnhart, director of the Department of Managed Health Care. …

Blue Shield, a San Francisco nonprofit insurer, said the latest rate increases for nearly 30,000 individual customers, which became effective Friday, were justified based on rising medical costs and continued losses in its individual business. Some of its policyholders are paying as much as 20% more. …

State officials are also getting upset that health insurers are “charging people more this year to recoup fees related to the federal healthcare law that don’t take effect until next year” — but what was it that they were expecting, exactly? Legislators and regulators can talk themselves blue in the face about what they think the appropriate prices should be, but that’s just not how it works; insurance companies calculate their risks and set their prices from there, and ObamaCare requires them to take on a heck of a lot more risk.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They should have read it before they passed it…but their senator had other ideas…

right2bright on March 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Little Saigon, off of Classen Blvd. and N.W. 23rd?

Is that what’s the locals call it? Funny that there is also a Little Saigon near downtown San Francisco. Lots of Vietnamese restaurants.

I remember going there 3 of the 4 days that we stayed in OKC for lunch. Love the food. There’s also a large Asian store that had all kinds of sweets and drinks. My wife would enjoy this place.

My wife and I have decided to move out of California as soon as we can, and we are always on a look out for areas such as OKC.

I see that you’re a Cowboys fan. You must be glad OSU didn’t face Johnny Heisman this year. I met an old OU quarterback named Kelly Phelphs when I was there last year. I’m sure he’s not too happy about Manziel doing a number on his Sooners earlier this year.

toolnutz on March 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM

toolnutz on March 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Yup, I bet that you were in Little Saigon.

And I’m an oSu grad … but I, also, graduated from OU.

I’m a Cowboy, by the grace of God.

:O)

Bring the wife to OKC, and see what she thinks.

But, if you move here, remember – only Orange and Black are acceptable colors.

:OP

Wherever you end up, may you find a place of happiness, toolnutz.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

LOL! I’m not sure if you’re kicking me in the balls, though.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

No, your post just reminded me of that.

RadClown on March 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

But it’s OK for the Federal government to raise our taxes a year or two earlier than Obamacare takes effect – and that’s just fine?

Hill60 on March 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

No, your post just reminded me of that.

RadClown on March 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

My balls are at ease, now.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

If Libtards would ever grow up they might just start understanding these things. It’s really, really hard not to laugh in their faces when such things happen, followed by a rousing chorus, in 4 part harmony, of “I Tolya So!”

Quartermaster on March 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Does even the most corrupt of the insurance companies who supported Obamacare realize that they signed their own death-warrant?

An insurance company that agrees to “pre-existing” conditions is not a serious business. They will vanish.

Ultimatetly, the single-payer government will realize that they can’t make it work either, without just denying care. So much for universal coverage.

Funny how reality is so “unreasonable” to the bleeding-hearts!

virgo on March 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM