Breaking: Papal conclave to start on March 12th

posted at 11:37 am on March 8, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

(VATICAN CITY) The cardinals have just announced that the date for the start of the papal conclave will be March 12th, next Tuesday:

“The eighth General Congregation of the College of Cardinals has decided that the Conclave will begin on Tuesday, 12 March 2013.

“A “pro eligendo Romano Pontifice” Mass will be celebrated in St. Peter’s Basilica in the morning.  In the afternoon the cardinals will enter into the Conclave.”

At least in the press office, I was literally the first person to be handed the announcement.  I happened to wander over to the information table when a messenger handed me the bulletin and said something including, “Prima.” I asked a press office official to help me translate, and she informed me that I had the news first — and that I’d better do something with it, fast.

A Tuesday start to the conclave works almost perfectly in terms of the general concerns over the pastoral and liturgical schedule.  While it’s not a necessity for an election to take place by the 17th, it would make the logistics work better for Holy Week preparations.  Furthermore, setting the date for four days hence makes it appear that the cardinals anticipate having had plenty of time to discuss their broad concerns — and perhaps have a good idea on a short list of potential successor to Benedict XVI and St. Peter.

I have also been handed a note prepared shortly beforehand that some journalists will be given a tour of the Sistine Chapel tomorrow.  That would indicate that their security plans are in place for the conclave, and they want to give the media some context for their later reporting.

Addendum: As a side note, I very nearly didn’t make it to the press office today, thanks to general exhaustion from my travels.  I’m feeling much better now.

Update: Since we got a big scoop here, why not put this in the Top Picks to celebrate?  Also, check out my first Vatican Dispatch in the Green Room.

HAatV-560

Illustration by Jett Attwood.

Comments

What difference does it make?

LoganSix on March 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM

And so it begins

cmsinaz on March 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Great news — plenty of time to get the new Pope installed before Holy Week.

Mr. D on March 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

My guess, it will be a guy named Peter. Probably from Africa or possibly an unknown from one of the Roman areas.

LoganSix on March 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Ed had the story up BEFORE FOX news had it by six minutes at least! Great job!

originalpechanga on March 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Well done Ed!!

Blaise on March 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Dude, you need to get better at tooting your own horn. Where are the blaring headlines?

ED MORRISSEY EXCLUSIVE!

peski on March 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Wow, already breaking stories from Rome from Mr. Morrissey, Congratulations!

fourdeucer on March 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Here’s hoping and praying we can celebrate a new papa by St. Patrick’s Day!

Thank you for the speedy news, Ed!

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Kudos to ED for instant reporting!

michaelo on March 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Showing up is eighty percent of life. – Woody Allen

peski on March 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM

(You beat CNN by 2 minutes. :) )

michaelo on March 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

May God be with them. And help guide their minds as they consider a wise choice.

Jabberwock on March 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’m interested in the political aspects of what is going on. Yes, I know that it is supposed to be spiritual, but there also seems to be two factions – the Vatican insiders and the reformers led by the Americans. It seems that the Americans are advocating for a more open and transparent Vatican and were gaining traction. I think that this is why the popular news conferences got shut down. It was too refreshing and modern and was being to make the old guard nervous. It’ll be interesting about who actually wins out. All us Catholics should be rooting for the Americans on this one. The Vatican is in desperate need of a thorough scrubbing and some sunlight.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Ed, someone likes you upstairs.

John McCain VERY worried about conclave rules.

LetsBfrank on March 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Does anyone here care about this?

I mean, I’m fatigued by all the papal stories, and I say that as someone who likely will be, this time of year, a newly confirmed Catholic (converting for my s/o).

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

The cardinals has just announced

The correct verb is “have”. In American English, one could say “The College of Cardinals has…”, but Commonwealth English construes such nouns in the plural (“The Royal Navy have announced…”)

~Language Martinet

The Monster on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Don’t let fatigue keep you from the scoop, Ed. Sleep when you get home.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Does anyone here care about this?

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Are you serious? Why did you bother clicking the headline and typing a comment then? Of course people care – all the major news agencies broke the news when they had the story. Moreover, as a Catholic, I care since I find this historic conclave vital to the Church. But if you are bored maybe we should all wait around until you let us know what is interesting.

msmveritas on March 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

OMG!

Bishop on March 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I wouldn’t worry about it, it is easy enough to opt out here. And on TV you can use it as break time. I’m not a Catholic but I find it interesting and I am thrilled for Ed to have the opportunity.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

The Monster on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It’s even more confusing when writing about Stanford athletics.

happytobehere on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I took the Scavi Tour back in October and didn’t get so much as a thank you much less a press release, and I’m a go**am Bishop!

Bishop on March 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

~Language Martinet

The Monster on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It must pain you not to be able to smack Ed’s knuckles with a ruler.

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Does anyone here care about this?

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

1.2 billion Catholics worldwide. 20% of the planet.

80 million Catholics in America. 25% of our population.

steebo77 on March 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Don’t. Care.

HotAirian on March 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Does anyone here care about this?

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’m not overtly enthralled, but I did click to see what the scoop was.

Oddly enough, when I really don’t care about something… I don’t click the link and bother to read what’s going on inside. Just a thought. Can’t get fatigued by that which you choose not to exert any energy clicking upon!

Midas on March 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

McCain and Graham on the senate floor denouncing the ridiculousness of this event. Just a way to get some impressionable catholics wee weed up or something.

Go Lemon Party!

can_con on March 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

HotAirian on March 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thank you for sharing. Will you be updating us with this fact on all future threads on Ed’s visit to Italy? Gosh I hope so!

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Don’t. Care.

HotAirian on March 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Apparently you did care enough to click on it.

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Good work, Ed.

Not shabby considering how much press is camped out in Rome now.

The_Jacobite on March 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Looking forward to pope watch! I’m not even catholic but these conclaves are awesome.

happytobehere on March 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Ed “Scoop” Morrissey, getting the job done!

Hopefully, this will help my dark horse candidacy…

JohnGalt23 on March 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Father Guido Sarducci for Pope!

The Rogue Tomato on March 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Nice Ed!

gwelf on March 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I mean, I’m fatigued by all the papal stories

Actually, this not a story but NEWS. A date has finally been set. Different than analysis, opinion, etc.

LetsBfrank on March 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

AWESOME!!!111

EddieC on March 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Does anyone here care about this?

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, even for those who are Catholics who care deeply about their faith. Overload is overload!

I must say I’m concerned about your wording of the reason for your conversion, though. You’re converting for your significant other?

Regardless, I’ll be praying for you and your search for truth!

cvandevoorde on March 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

HotAirian on March 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Is your name a super-clever play on aryan? Don’t you think HotAirianNation would be better. Was it taken?

Never mind, I don’t really care.

happytobehere on March 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Yet another reason I will be praying for the election of Timothy Cardinal Dolan.

Shump on March 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Shump on March 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Agreed. Timmy D. is really what the Catholic Church needs right now. However, the thinking is that they’d never elect an American pope. I know it isn’t the New Hampshire primary (H/T to Timmy D), but it does seem like the Americans are pretty organized as a group.

Illinidiva on March 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Does anyone here care about this?

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Yes, I care a great deal about the process and the outcome…and I’m a protestant. The leader of the Catholic branch of Christianity has a great deal of influence and should be a matter of interest and prayer for ALL Christians.

And, as another has already mentioned, I pray your confirmation begins a spiritual journey that draws you ever closer to Jesus!

Ace ODale on March 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

LetsBfrank on March 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Setting the date is news but watch the media muck up the rest of it with speculation instead of analysis, finding fault with the RCC for not being progressive, etc.

But the really bad part will be the description of what happens in a conclave because it is pure conjecture. Some idiot reporter will talk about how many weeks of winter are left if the new Pope emerges and sees his shadow or something equally stupid. I’m obviously kidding but I think you’ll find that these “reporters” are for the most part not well versed on how the RCC elects its next leader or what it means.

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Great job, Ed! Will you be camping there at the press office now..? Heh

d1carter on March 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Shump on March 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I hope Ed will provide the buzz from Rome but it seems as if there is at least some openness to the idea that the next Pope doesn’t have to be European. That would truly be a turning point for the church.

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Regardless, I’ll be praying for you and your search for truth!

cvandevoorde on March 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I’m already protestant. My g/f’s Catholic. I’ll probably be converting to Catholicism next year, since the likely scenario by the end of the year is that we’ll be engaged, and I figure it’ll make the wedding go a little smoother.

She’s not requiring I convert, mind you. Ironically, I’m turning out to be a better Catholic (even though I’m non-Catholic as of yet) than she is – this is the second year I’m participating in Lent, while she’s kind of not even bothering with it this time around.

It hasn’t been a bad deal for me – last year for Lent I gave up smoking.

Although I’m sure most of you here would be disapproving of my reasons for converting…..It’s less because of a commitment to God than it is a commitment to my girlfriend.

(but then again, I’m already Protestant, so God kind of already had my commitment)

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Been there, done that. I waited too long. I ended up having to nose out our son being confirmed! I was also prompted by 9/11 – It was time to declare who you are.

This is the first time there is a Cardinal there that I have met. I’m hoping to hear hear him speak when he returns.

tomg51 on March 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You beat the BBC to the story by 43 mins Ed. Nice work, Grasshopper!

Limerick on March 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Don’t. Care.

HotAirian on March 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Oh man, I hope EVERYONE who doesn’t care about a topic, whether it be politics, movies, TV shows, or heartwarming stories, goes out of their way to click on it, and then make a post saying how much they don’t care about it.

That’ll make the comment section AWESOME!

Congratulations on the scoop and thanks for the info, ED!

DrAllecon on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I don’t care.

Bishop on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Very excited to hear this news – thanks Ed!

pipandbaby on March 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Don’t. Care.

HotAirian on March 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Then, why click on it?
Rather a waste of your valuable time and energy, isn’t it?

Or, were you perhaps under the (mistaken) impression that someone is interested in whether you care or not?

Solaratov on March 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don’t care.

Bishop on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

You will never stop making me laugh.

DrAllecon on March 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Does anyone here care about this?

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Not the best of reasons to ‘convert’. One would think that there should be something a bit more “spiritual” to it than that.

Good luck.

Solaratov on March 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Nice scoop, Ed!

dogsoldier on March 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I don’t care.

Bishop on March 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

THAT’S THE TROUBLE WITH THE CHURCH IN AMERICA TODAY!

The bishops just don’t care.

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

It is so creepy to see Ed do the propaganda work of the Vatican. Has he covered one bit of the Cardinal O’Brien story in the UK? Or the Italian press coverage of the Pope’s butler who leaked all kinds of correspondence which indicated there was a secret ring of gay priests who were being blackmailed? I just do not understand why none of that matters to the wall to wall coverage of the new Papacy?

libfreeordie on March 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

libfreeordie on March 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

We get it, the Catholic Church is “The Oppressor”. And so is the GOP, terribly oppressive. We get it. It’s how you look at everything.

happytobehere on March 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

“The scoop” makes it to the left column of the board in no time. Could we be talking Pulitzer here?

tommyboy on March 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

So true. The collective ignorance of the MSM will reach it’s zenith next week. Can’t wait for reports on Cardinals smoking in the Sistine Chapel.

LetsBfrank on March 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Congratulations on being the first go-to guy Ed!

DarkCurrent on March 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

libfreeordie on March 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Far be it from Ed to horn in on Jack Chick’s territory.

Lily on March 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I do not normally follow Church politics closely nor who’s who in the Catholic Church. I would like to see a list of some of the (perceived) frontrunners and why they are on that list. I.e. their positions, personality and record.

Fenris on March 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Next Thursday is Pi Day (3/14 … 3.14159…, get it?)

If the next pope is elected on Pi Day, maybe he’ll choose Pius XIII as his name.

;-)

JimLennon on March 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Definitely prima.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Oh, Ed.

Rusty Allen on March 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Praying for Pope Dolan or Burke.

Lou Budvis on March 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

libfreeordie on March 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

No creepier than your propaganda for The Won, and at least he has faith.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Let’s try to pick the guy least involved in pedophiliac rape coverups.

Let’s listen to the man in Rome who preaches virtue and charity while sitting on untold billions in gold.

Seven Seas on March 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Fenris on March 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

There are none. The cardinals hold that information quite close to their bosom, and don’t really talk about it much among themselves until the conclave’s sequester in the Sistine Chapel begins. Most of the buzz in the news has been about the prospective ethnicity of the new pope. Dunno if you’re old enough to recall, but Pope John Paul II’s election as the first non-Italian pope in quite a few generations made a lot of noise back in the day. It will be equally as newsworthy to the secular press if an African or American pope emerges.

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Oh I know the cardinals aren’t talking. But just a few posts above you see Dolan and Burke mentioned. Why do some think they would be good popes? Speculators are going to speculate! I guess I could search for info elsewhere, but only so many hours in the day.

Fenris on March 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

“O God, eternal shepherd, who govern your flock with unfailing care, grant in your boundless fatherly love a pastor for your Church who will please you by his holiness and to us show watchful care. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.”

And Bravo Ed on the scoop…

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

libfreeordie on March 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Ed covered both…and frankly you are the only creepy aspect to this thread.

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

LoganSix on March 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Cardinal Scola’s second name is Pietro…Angelo Pietro

English : Angel Peter

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM

How are the Catholics holding up against the far to numerous dictators in Southern and Central America? Might a pope from that area help keep the people free?

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Fenris on March 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Just trust me. The buzz you are hearing is from the secular press talking about who they would like to see as Pope for various-and-sundry reasons. It has very little, if anything, to do with who actually ends up in the position.

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Way to go, Ed!

Vyce on March 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

This is a very important story not only for Catholics (I am one), but for the world, so yeah I think a lot of people care about this.

dpduq on March 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Domine deduc me in iustitia tua: propter inimicos meos dirige in conspectu tuo viam meam.
Quoniam non est in ore eorum veritas: cor eorum vanum est.
Sepulchrum patens est guttur eorum, linguis suis dolose agebant, iudica illos Deus. Decidant a cogitationibus suis, secundum multitudinem impietatum eorum expelle eos, quoniam irritaverunt te Domine.

Appropriate for some of our commenters, I think.

Benedìcat vos omnipotens Deus,
Pater, et Filius,
et Spìritus Sanctus.

creekspecter on March 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Who are the candidates and what are their voting numbers? When will the result show be?

MrX on March 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

MrX on March 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

We don’t know. We’ll only know once the vote is held, and then we’ll only know the winner. The white/black smoke comes from burning the ballots.

What I find somewhat peculiar is that Pope Benedict XVI, if I recall correctly, appointed a new camerlengo (papal chamberlain) just before he publicly announced his retirement. Normally, as camerlengos serve at the pleasure of the pope, this would not rate a blip in secular media outside The Vatican. What is curious to me about this is that the camerlengo serves as the pope’s confessor and closest confidante in matters both spiritual and secular, and the camerlengo appointed by Benedict XVI will serve the new pope until such time as that pope decides to appoint another.

Why would a pope appoint a camerlengo only to turn around and resign almost immediately thereafter? It could be nothing, but there is almost certainly more of a reason than just papal whim; the papacy doesn’t function that way.

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Ah … let the pap smears begin.
Perhaps they’ll enter the arms race with the “peaceful clerics.”
Off the wall I know, but hey, it’s Friday.

kregg on March 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I cherish the memory of one newscast where the commentators, in the hushed tones usually reserved for golf putts and funeral obsequies, reminded their audience (undoubtedly for the umpteenth time), that this was “the first non-Catholic pope” in centuries.

AesopFan on March 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

AesopFan on March 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

It was a little before my time. I was born in 1978. Benedict XVI was the first papal conclave I was really able to appreciate, which makes his abdication all the more significant to me.

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Thankfully, Jimmah’s not there to screw up the vote.

TXUS on March 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM

creekspecter on March 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Sursum cor

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

MrX on March 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

gryphon202 on March 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Cardinal Bertone is still the Carmelengo and has been since 2007.

The Vice-Carmelengo Archbishop Castello replaced Cardinal Law (retired) in 2011 and then became a Cardinal in 2012. He was replaced as Vice-Carmelengo in July,2012 by Archbishop Celata and Celata serves assisting Bertone.

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

MrX on March 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Here’s a list of the Cardinal Electors for the Conclave…Among these is the next Pope…

Vatican Diary / The “who’s who” of the new pope’s electors

Name by name, nation by nation, role by role, all of the cardinals who will enter into conclave. An indispensable guide for the event

VATICAN CITY, March 5, 2013 – Subtracting the two who have declined to take part in the conclave, the Scottish Keith Michael Patrick O’Brian and the Indonesian Jesuit Julius Darmaatmadja, the cardinals who will enter the Sistine Chapel to elect the successor of Benedict XVI at the moment number 115.

Below they are listed by continent and by nation, with the place of activity of each one, the abbreviation of any religious order of membership, the date of birth and the indication of the pope who conferred the scarlet on them, John Paul II (JP-II) or Benedict XVI (B-XVI).

Followed by further documentation of their roles and backgrounds.

EUROPE – 60 cardinals (37 B-XVI and 23 JP-II)

Italy – 28 (20 B-XVI and 8 JP-II)

AMATO Angelo S.D.B, curia, 1938 (B-XVI)
ANTONELLI Ennio, ex curia, 1936 (JP-II)
BAGNASCO Angelo, abp. Genova, 1943 (B-XVI)
BERTELLO Giuseppe, curia, 1942 (B-XVI)
BERTONE Tarcisio S.D.B, curia, 1934 (JP-II)
BETORI Giuseppe, abp. Firenze, 1947 (B-XVI)
CAFFARRA Carlo, abp. Bologna, 1938 (B-XVI)
CALCAGNO Domenico, curia, 1943 (B-XVI)
COCCOPALMERIO Francesco, curia, 1938 (B-XVI)
COMASTRI Angelo, curia, 1943 (B-XVI)
DE PAOLIS Velasio C.S., ex curia, 1935 (B-XVI)
FARINA Raffaele S.D.B, ex curia, 1933 (B-XVI)
FILONI Fernando, curia, 1946 (B-XVI)
LAJOLO Giovanni, ex curia, 1935 (B-XVI)
MONTERISI Francesco, ex curia, 1934 (B-XVI)
NICORA Attilio, curia, 1937 (JP-II)
PIACENZA Mauro, curia, 1944 (B-XVI)
POLETTO Severino, abp. em. Torino, 1933 (JP-II)
RAVASI Gianfranco, curia, 1942 (B-XVI)
RE Giovanni Battista, ex curia, 1934 (JP-II)
ROMEO Paolo, abp. Palermo, 1938 (B-XVI)
SARDI Paolo, ex curia, 1934 (B-XVI)
SCOLA Angelo, abp. Milano, 1941 (JP-II)
SEPE Crescenzio, abp. Napoli, 1943 (JP-II)
TETTAMANZI Dionigi, abp. em. Milano, 1934 (JP-II)
VALLINI Agostino, Rome vicar general, 1940 (B-XVI)
VEGLIO’ Antonio M., curia, 1938 (B-XVI)
VERSALDI Giuseppe, curia, 1943 (B-XVI)

Germany – 6 (3 B-XVI and 3 JP-II)

CORDES Paul Josef, ex curia, 1934 (B-XVI)
KASPER Walter, ex curia, 1933 (JP-II)
LEHMANN Karl, bishop Mainz, 1936 (JP-II)
MARX Reinhard, abp. Munich, 1953 (B-XVI)
MEISNER Joachim, abp. Cologne, 1933 (JP-II)
WOELKI Rainer M., abp. Berlin, 1956 (B-XVI)

Spain – 5 (3 B-XVI and 2 JP-II)

ABRIL Y CASTELLÓ Santos, curia, 1935 (B-XVI)
AMIGO VALLEJO Carlos O.F.M., abp. em. Seville, 1934 (JP-II)
CAÑIZARES LLOVERA Antonio, curia, 1945 (B-XVI)
MARTÍNEZ SISTACH Lluís, abp. Barcelona,1937 (B-XVI)
ROUCO VARELA Antonio María, abp. Madrid, 1936 (JP-II)

France – 4 (2 B-XVI and 2 JP-II)

BARBARIN Philippe, abp. Lyon, 1950 (JP-II)
RICARD Jean-Pierre, abp. Bordeaux, 1944 (B-XVI)
TAURAN Jean-Louis, curia, 1943 (JP-II)
VINGT-TROIS André, abp. Paris, 1942 (B-XVI)

Poland – 4 (3 B-XVI and 1 JP-II)

DZIWISZ Stanislaw, abp. Krakow, 1939 (B-XVI)
GROCHOLEWSKI Zenon, curia, 1939 (JP-II)
NYCZ Kazimierz, abp. Warsaw, 1950 (B-XVI)
RYLKO Stanislaw, curia, 1945 (B-XVI)

Portugal – 2 (1 B-XVI and 1 JP-II)

MONTEIRO DE CASTRO Manuel, curia, 1938 (B-XVI)
POLICARPO José da Cruz, patriarch Lisbon, 1936 (JP-II)

Others – 11 (5 B-XVI and 6 JP-II)

BACKIS Audrys Juozas, abp. Vilnius, Lithuania, 1937 (JP-II)
BOZANIC Josip, abp. Zagabria, Croatia, 1949 (JP-II)
BRADY Sean Baptist, abp, Armagh, Ireland, 1939 (B-XVI)
DANNEELS Godfried, abp. em. Brussels, Belgium, 1933 (JP-II)
DUKA Dominik op, abp. Prague, Czech Republic, 1943 (B-XVI)
EIJK Willem Jacobus, abp. Utrecht, Holland, 1953 (B-XVI)
ERD? Peter, abp. Esztergom, Hungary, 1952 (JP-II)
KOCH Kurt, curia, Switzerland, 1950 (B-XVI)
PULJIC Vinko, abp. Vrhbosna-Sarajevo, Bosnia, 1945 (JP-II)
RODÉ Franc cm, ex curia, Slovenia, 1934 (B-XVI)
SCHÖNBORN Christoph O.P., abp. Vienna, Austria, 1945 (JP-II)

AMERICAS – 33 (17 B-XVI and 16 JP-II)

Latin AMERICA – 19 (8 B-XVI and 11 JP-II)

Brazil – 5 (3B-XVI and 2 JP-II)

AGNELO Geraldo Majella, abp. em. São Salvador da Bahia, 1933 (JP-II)
BRAZ DE AVIZ Joao, curia, 1947 (B-XVI)
DAMASCENO ASSIS Raymundo, abp. Aparecida, 1937 (B-XVI)
HUMMES Cláudio O.F.M., ex curia, 1934 (JP-II)
SCHERER Odilo Pablo, abp. São Paulo, 1949 (B-XVI)

Mexico – 3 (1 B-XVI and 2 JP-II)

RIVERA CARRERA Norberto, abp. Mexico, 1942 (JP-II)
SANDOVAL IÑIGUEZ Juan, abp. em. Guadalajara, 1933 (JP-II)
ROBLES ORTEGA Francisco, abp Guadalajara, 1949 (B-XVI)

Argentina – 2 (1 B-XVI and 1 JP-II)

BERGOGLIO Jorge Mario S.J., abp. Buenos Aires, 1936 (JP-II)
SANDRI Leonardo, curia, 1943 (B-XVI)

Others – 9 (3 B-XVI and 6 JP-II)

CIPRIANI THORNE Juan Luis, Opus Dei, abp. Lima, Perù, 1943 (JP-II)
ERRAZURIZ OSSA Francisco J., Schönstatt, abp. em. Santiago, Chile, 1933 (JP-II)
LOPEZ-RODRIGUEZ Nicolas de Jesus, abp. Santo Domingo, 1936 (JP-II)
ORTEGA Y ALAMINO Jaime Lucas, abp. Havana, Cuba, 1936 (JP-II)
RODRIGUEZ MARADIAGA Oscar A. S.D.B, abp. Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 1942 (JP-II)
SALAZAR GOMEZ Ruben, abp. Bogotà, Colombia, 1942 (B-XVI)
TERRAZAS SANDOVAL Julio C.Ss.R., abp. Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, 1936 (JP-II)
UROSA SAVINO Jorge Liberato, abp. Caracas, Venezuela, 1942 (B-XVI)
VELA CHIRIBOGA Raul Eduardo, abp. em. Quito, Ecuador, 1934 (B-XVI)

NORTH AMERICA – 14 (9 B-XVI and 5 JP-II)

United States – 11 (8 B-XVI and 3 JP-II)

BURKE Raymond Leo, curia, 1948 (B-XVI)
DINARDO Daniel Nicholas, abp. Galveston-Houston, 1949 (B-XVI)
DOLAN Timothy Michael, abp. New York, 1950 (B-XVI)
GEORGE Eugene Francis O.M.I., abp. Chicago, 1937 (JP-II)
HARVEY James Michael, curia, 1949 (B-XVI)
LEVADA William Joseph, ex curia, 1936 (B-XVI)
MAHONY Roger Michael, abp. em. Los Angeles, 1936 (JP-II)
O’BRIEN Edwin Frederick, curia, 1939 (B-XVI)
O’MALLEY Sean Patrick O.F.M. Cap., abp. Boston, 1944 (B-XVI)
RIGALI Justin Francis, abp. em. Philadelphia, 1935 (JP-II)
WUERL Donald William, abp. Washington DC, 1940 (B-XVI)

Canada – 3 (1 B-XVI and 2 JP-II)

COLLINS Thomas Christopher, abp. Toronto, 1947 (B-XVI)
OUELLET Marc P.S.S., curia, 1944 (JP-II)
TURCOTTE Jean-Claude, abp. em. Montreal, 1936 (JP-II)

AFRICA – 11 (6 B-XVI and 5 JP-II)

Nigeria – 2 (1 B-XVI and 1 JP-II)

OKOGIE Anthony Olubunmi, abp. Lagos, 1936 (JP-II)
ONAIYEKAN John Olorunfemi, abp. Abuja, 1944 (B-XVI)

Others – 9 (5 B-XVI and 4 JP-II)

MONSENGWO PASINYA Laurent, abp. Kinshasa, RD Congo, 1939 (B-XVI)
NAGUIB Antonios, patriarch em. Alexandria of the Copts, Egypt, 1935 (B-XVI)
NAPIER Wilfrid Fox O.F.M., abp. Durban, South Africa, 1941 (JP-II)
NJUE John, abp. Nairobi, Kenya, 1944 (B-XVI)
PENGO Polycarp, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1944 (JP-II)
SARAH Robert, curia, Guinea, 1945 (B-XVI)
SARR Theodore-Adrien, abp. Dakar, Senegal, 1936 (B-XVI)
TURKSON Peter Kodwo Appiah, abp. Cape Coast, Ghana, 1948 (JP-II)
ZUBEIR WAKO Gabriel, abp. Khartoum, Sudan, 1941 (JP-II)

ASIA – 10 (7 B-XVI and 3 JP-II)

India – 5 (3 BVI and 2 (JP-II)

ALENCHERRY George, maj. abp. Ernakulam of the Malankars, 1945 (B-XVI)
DIAS Ivan, ex curia, 1936 (JP-II)
GRACIAS Oswald, abp. Bombay, 1944 (B-XVI)
THOTTUNKAL Baselios Cleemis, maj. abp. Trivandrum of the Malankars, 1959 (B-XVI)
TOPPO Telesphore Placidus, abp. Ranchi, 1939 (JP-II)

Others – 5 (4 B-XVI and 1 JP-II)

PATABENDIGE DON A. M. Ranjith, abp. Colombo, Sri Lanka, 1947 (B-XVI)
PHAM MINH MAN Jean-Baptiste, abp. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 1934 (JP-II)
RAI Bechara Boutros omm, patriarch Antioch of the Maronites, Lebanon, 1940 (B-XVI)
TAGLE Luis Antonio, abp. Manila, Philippines, 1957 (B-XVI)
TONG HON John, bishop Hong Kong, China, 1939 (B-XVI)

OCEANIA – 1 (JP-II)

PELL George, abp. Sydney, Australia, 1941 (JP-II)

Able to participate not in the conclave but in the general congregations that precede it are the cardinals over the age of eighty. At the beginning of the sede vacante there were 90 of them, 52 of them European (21 Italians), 11 Latin Americans (4 Brazilians), 8 North Americans (all from the United States), 9 Asians, 7 Africans, and 3 from Oceania.

A curiosity: also entering the conclave will be German cardinal Kasper, who turned eighty on March 4. Under the regulations previous to those issued by John Paul II in 1996, he would not have been admitted.

There are 20 cardinals belonging to religious orders who will participate in the conclave (15 are over the age of eighty).

The most numerous are the Salesians, with 4 cardinals: Amato, Bertone, Farina, Rodriguez Maradiaga. The Franciscan friars minor follow with 3: Amigo Vallejo, Hummes, Napier. The Dominicans have 2: Schonborn and Duka. With only one cardinal are the Jesuits (Bergoglio), the Vincentians (Rodé), the Redemptorists (Terrazas), the Capuchins (O’Malley), the Oblates (George), the Sulpicians (Ouellet), the members of the Schönstatt Institute (Errazuriz Ossa), and the maronite mariamite order (Rai).

The college of the pope’s electors also includes a member of Opus Dei (Cipriani Thorne), an historic representative of Communion of Liberation (Scola), and at least a pair of friends of the Focolare movement (Antonelli and Braz de Aviz). Strongly sympathetic toward the Neocatecumenals are Filoni, Cordes, and Cañizares. Dias is close to the charismatic movement.

There are 40 cardinal electors who are working or have finished their ecclesiastical “cursus honorum” in the curia or in other Roman offices.

The Italians are 19, of whom 13 are active (Amato, Bertello, Bertone, Calcagno, Coccopalmerio, Comastri, Filoni, Nicora, Piacenza, Ravasi, Sardi, Vegliò, and Versaldi) and 6 in retirement (Antonelli, De Paolis, Farina, Lajolo, Monterisi, Re).

The cardinals from the United States are 4 (3 of them active – Burke, Harvey, and O’Brien – and the retired Levada). The Spanish are 2 (Cañizares, Abril y Castelló) and the same for the Polish (Grocholewski and Rylko), all of them active. There are also 2 Germans, but both of them in retirement: Cordes and Kasper.

From Latin America come the Argentine Sandri and the Brazilian Braz de Aviz (active) and the other Brazilian Hummus (retired).

From Europe come the French Tauran, the Portuguese Monteiro, and the Swiss Koch – all of them active – and the retired Rodé, Slovenian.

The African members of the curia, active, are the Ghanaian Turkson and the Guinean Sarah. Also an active member of the curia is the Canadian Ouellet, while the Indian Dias is retired.

Of these 40, half have pastoral experience as bishops: Antonelli, Bertone, Calcagno, Coccopalmerio, Comastri, Nicora, Versaldi, Kasper, Rodé, Canizares Llovera, Koch, Hummes, Braz de Aviz, Burke, Levada, O’Brien, Ouellet, Dias, Turkson, and Sarah.

While among the cardinals now at the head of a diocese who have previously had positions of responsibility in the Vatican are Sepe, Vallini, Dziwisz, Backis, Agnelo, Hummes, Errazuriz Ossa, Rigali, and Patabendige Don. Scherer, Wuerl and DiNardo have also long worked in the curia, but as officials.

Finally, here are the 16 cardinal electors who come from pontifical diplomacy. They are: Bertello, Filoni, Lajolo, Monterisi, Re, Romeo, Sepe, Vegliò, Tauran, Abril y Castelló, Monteiro de Castro, Backis, Sandri, Harvey, Rigali, Dias.

Cardinal Sardi moreover, although he did not attend the ecclesiastical pontifical academy, acquired the qualification of apostolic nuncio, with the connected benefits, when as the head of the office of pontifical “ghost writers” he was promoted to archbishop by John Paul II.

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

As a former Catholic-I was born Jewish and returned to same, so I don’t qualify as an apostate Catholic-I’m fascinated by this. Benedict was a good man-a mensch.
I would love the next pope to take-over where Benedict left off!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Ace ODale on March 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

The pope has a great deal of importance to the non-Christian world as well. Not because he is the head of their church or faith, but as a man who is supposed to be a moral example in trying times. He often succeeds.

Kevin K. on March 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Cardinal Bertone is still the Carmelengo and has been since 2007.

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Perhaps I had the camerlengo and vice camerlengo confused.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

workingclass artist on March 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I won’t quote your whole post except to say that while any of those cardinal-electors could theoretically be the next pope, only a few of them are “preferiti,” that is, under serious consideration. The names of the preferiti is information that many in the secular media would go to great lengths to obtain.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

As a non-Catholic Christian, I have one burning question:

In an age of cell phones and Twitter and iMessage and every other medium, do we really need SMOKE SIGNALS? Really?

Grace_is_sufficient on March 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM

As a non-Catholic Christian, I have one burning question:

Grace_is_sufficient on March 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM

“burning question”…I see what you did there :)

The Catholic Church is steeped heavily in tradition…which includes the smokestack. When the cardinals are sequestered in conclave for the “pope vote” they’re required to check their cell phones, tablets, and anything else that connects them to the outside world…as a safety measure ensuring no outside influence on any vote.

Plus, the handwritten ballots are burned after each voting round…and that’s what produces the smoke we see. There’s some powder or something put on the burning ballots that makes it black or white (If I remember correctly) as they burn. And there is a papal app for your phone that will let you know when the new pope is elected if you’re not near a TV, comp or radio.

JetBoy on March 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM

would someone who knows please explain why a pope is needed?

Pragmatic on March 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

would someone who knows please explain why a pope is needed?

Pragmatic on March 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

It can be summed up in one word: Tradition.

The pope carries the mantle of Saint Peter, whose Greek name of Kephas means “rock,” as in the rock on which the church is built. As Peter was commissioned to lead the church, so too does the pope continue in that tradition as Peter’s direct succesor.

gryphon202 on March 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM