Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on March 7, 2013 by Allahpundit

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul has friends all over the spectrum — from establishment conservatives to the freewheeling libertarian devotees of his father — after a nearly 13-hour filibuster of John Brennan’s CIA nomination on Wednesday. He’s also managed to make two of the Senate’s most establishmentarian figures, John McCain and Lindsey Graham, look like outliers, and Republicans are privately grumbling about them…

“This marks [Paul's] arrival as a serious national figure in the Republican party, said Steve Schmidt, McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign manager, who said Paul would be a “formidable candidate” in 2016…

The strategist called the filibuster “big beyond it just being a big moment for Rand Paul. It was kind of a big moment for the party because you suddenly had people rallying together on a cause of principle.”

***

“It was one of the first examples in a long time of messaging that made the base feel like we had control of the day,” said Rick Wilson, a Florida-based Republican strategist. “Rand Paul’s stock price rose sharply today, and being the guy who set Obama on his heels — even for a day — will pay dividends for Paul in the short term, at least.”…

By the time the 2016 Republican presidential race rolls around, the Paul filibuster will be a distant memory — even to the grassroots of the party. But, the motivation behind the filibuster — a combination of genuine conviction and a sense for the dramatic — will still burn strongly in Paul.

It’s why we continue to believe no one should underestimate Paul’s ability to have a major impact on the 2016 race. While his beliefs — particularly on foreign policy — are outside the mainstream of current Republican thought, Paul will get points among the base for actually believing what he says.

***

Republicans off Capitol Hill clearly were using Paul’s filibuster to their political advantage. It instantly galvanized the warring factions of the Republican Party in a fight against Obama, including the NRSC and the Tea Party Patriots, two groups that have been at odds in recent years over GOP candidates in Senate races. Both were quick to call on their supporters to unify behind Paul.

“People appreciate that someone is finally standing up and playing hardball with the president and his administration,” said Greg Mueller, a Republican strategist. “The party has been far too much seen as a party of capitulation and deal-making with a radically liberal president. Conservatives, tea party, mainstream Republicans want a fighting opposition party in Washington.”

***

Fueled in large part by support from a Twitter political class that flexed its muscles on policy issues, Republicans rallied around Paul in a way that hasn’t been seen on the national stage in years and could provide a glimmer of hope for a listless party.

“There was a hell of a lot of team play tonight,” a senior GOP leadership aide said Thursday morning, acknowledging that Paul’s filibuster had given the GOP a much needed jolt of energy. “Everybody’s in a three-point stance, helmets on and ready to fight,” the aide said.

***

The pace of politics and policy is mind-blowing. Paul is a junior senator from Kentucky, a darling of the tea party and libertarians who thrives on the margins of the political establishment. And yet he was able to cow the White House by harnessing Twitter and other social media to rally public support. Sen. John McCain, a Republican from another era, sniffed at Paul’s appeal to young voters in “dorm rooms.” Like the anti-piracy legislation thwarted by online activists last year, the Paul drone filibuster may mark a turning point in American activism. For better or worse, public opinion is now more democratized than ever.

Paul is a force. What started as a Paul-only affair quickly turned into an after-midnight gathering of GOP senators who were literally summoned to Capitol Hill by supporters via Twitter and e-mail. This burst of exposure and influence will help Paul’s prospects for 2016, when he could seek the GOP nomination and, possibly, as many Republicans fear, divide the party.

***

GLENN: A man who is I believe going to be the logical choice for president of the United States because he is reasonable, polite, and a ‑‑ I believe in a teaching mode right now, teaching the American people, not throwing around firebombs, not calling anybody names but speaking about principles, and the principles are those basic human rights that we all know naturally we’re born with. One that he spoke about last night, the right to live and to have a trial and to have a warrant, not just be killed, gunned down in the streets, or in this case killed by a drone because this president or any president says, “Yeah, take him out.”

***

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Stroke of political genius. He will be remembered. This raises his image, and he’s completely sincere about this. This will be a moment that people will say has launched him as a national figure.

***

Paul chipped away at the Democratic Party’s monopoly on romance yesterday. His actions broke through traditional firewalls that keep politics out of the homes of the nation’s marginally interested voters. He showed that the struggle for personal freedom is an idealistic pursuit. For a moment, the pervasive cynicism that has hardened voting patterns over the last two decades melted away. The political class will miss it, but the apolitical citizenry who could care less for what a consultant or a pundit says or thinks will not. The shift that Paul’s actions have ushered in will not remain imperceptible for long.

***

The left and right Twittersphere lavished Paul with praise for his integrity (which, I guess, is what you could call it coming from a man who has questioned the constitutionality of the Civil Rights Act and Medicare). But at a certain point, Paul refused to take yes for an answer. The CIA doesn’t operate the military drones, so holding up Brennan’s appointment didn’t make sense. And I suspect Paul didn’t want to hold up, say, a defense authorization, which would have not been as popular. Attorney General Eric Holder’s response wasn’t as absolutist as Paul wanted, but it did make it clear that drones were not going to whack people out of the blue in Los Angeles, Houston, and Bowling Green, Kentucky, as Paul cited last night in a nod to his home state. At a certain point, you have to take yes for an answer, and if you don’t, then you’re engaging in the kind of lamentable politics you seem to disdain.

***

It was heartening to see Republicans — several joined the filibuster — take the initiative and put the administration on the defensive, but Paul’s filibuster was an ambling affair. Chalk it up to having to talk for hours on end. Paul’s case against the targeted killing of American citizens designated as terrorist combatants marshaled rhetorical support from sources as diverse as our own Kevin D. Williamson and hard-left scold Glenn Greenwald, broke the proscription on reductio ad Hitlerum early and often, and included lengthy and occasionally insightful excurses on everything from counter-majoritarianism to Alice in Wonderland to the French Revolution…

Holder told Senator Ted Cruz at a Judiciary Committee hearing — after persistent questioning — that attacking on our soil an American citizen who is an enemy combatant in the absence of such a threat would be unconstitutional. We are not sure he is right about that. It would be possible to craft extreme scenarios — involving invasions, domestic insurrections, or other outlandish circumstances — in which such an attack would pass muster. But we would be testing the boundaries of the plausible, and of the Constitution…

The Rand Paul filibuster was great entertainment and will probably mark a new stage in his emergence as a national figure. We salute his brio, even if we suspect he is ultimately fighting a phantom menace.

***

Asked why more Democrats didn’t come to Paul’s aid, Sen. Max Baucus of Montana said, “Each has his own view. To be honest, I haven’t been focused as much on that issue, an da lot of others probably haven’t either. I assume that’s the reason.”

One Senate staffer, said Democrats were privately “amused by the whole thing.”

“There was a sense the Paul filibuster was a distraction from the real issues of privacy and civil liberties, and was just not an issue worth spending an entire day on in the Senate,” said the Democratic staffer. “When Senators are getting ready to break ranks, you feel these tremors before it actually hits, and we didn’t hear any of that yesterday.”

***

Where Rand Paul led, other Republicans followed: some out of conviction, some out of opportunism, and some out of fear.

Since 2008, the party has executed a huge about-face on issues of executive power and national security. Yesterday marked an important pivot in that complex maneuver. I worry it won’t be the last…

Something more than ordinary partisanship is driving this switcheroo. The alienation and fear to which Rand Paul spoke in the Senate yesterday – the alienation and fear that shapes the political environment to which Marco Rubio and Mitch McConnell must adapt – comes from some deeper and more tangled place than disappointment at the outcome of an election.

Executive assassinations, hyperinflation leading to populist dictatorships, ordinary Americans protecting themselves by launching insurgencies against the state – these are themes of Rand Paul’s politics, now endorsed by his Republican Senate colleagues. Out of what doom-haunted imagination are such dark fantasies born? The Republican party used to be the party more serious about defending America. Now it provides a home to those more doubtful that America is worth defending.

***

Paul himself seemed to appreciate that this was an important moment for himself, confidently acknowledging to POLITICO in an interview that he was “seriously” considering running for president in 2016.

“I think our party needs something new, fresh and different,” he said. “What we’ve been running — nothing against the candidates necessarily — but we have a good, solid niche in all the solidly red states throughout the middle of the country.”…

“I don’t think you can underestimate how big of a moment this was. If the Iowa Caucuses were tomorrow, he would win in a landslide,” said conservative talk radio host Steve Deace, who lives in Iowa. “Imagine taking what Scott Walker did in Wisconsin and combining it with what Mike Huckabee did with Chick-fil-A, that’s how big this is.”

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

PatriotGal2257 on March 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Lolz. I would like to Christen it with a fine gentle sneeze. And not with a violent Flem filled gust of wind. That’s how I ruined my last green screen. Hehe achew

Sorry about being gross.

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I have like 100 and have a hard time finding anything to watch!! lol

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Yes I know. Once cable goes a la carte ordering, I will be ordering about 4 channels.

When I was growing up, we had two tv channels:

The C.B.C. and
La C.B.C

(Canadian joke) ;)

can_con on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I agree..Young Bulls vs Old Bulls..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Bmore, use the direct messaging in the connector.

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Good evening, Schadenfreude. It’s good to ‘see’ you. :)

thatsafactjack on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Barbed wire and no trespassing signs.

wolly4321 on March 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I don’t think that site is official. The links at the bottom aren’t the kind the military would post, and I think it s/b a .us or .gov.

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Don’t sneeze on my page 2 Bishop

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Bmore, use the direct messaging in the connector.

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I think I did.

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I went to your page where it said tweet me. I tweeted there.

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I think NK will bear keeping an eye on.

Wonder how Rodman feels about them now?

What an idiot he was…

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Rand Paul has engaged in the greatest act of Political Heroism since George W. Bush’s response to the attacks on 9-11-01!

God Bless him!

GOD BLESS HIM!!!

Oh – and Thank you RWM for recognizing McLame and Gray-ham for The Traitors they are!

williamg on March 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Hey, Dire! I never saw it, but when I read the title, I automatically think Clinton!

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

…and I have to say “hi” to thatsafactjack!

“Hi”!

williamg on March 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

thatsafactjack on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I missed a good part of last night’s debates on the QotD thread…was just skimming, while listening to the wonderful filibuster, and multi-tasking in addition. I did skim some more this a.m. and commented too, that you were all wonderful, in spite of disagreements. It was a great night in America and on HA. I loved the exchange of idease, toward the same aim. It’s sometimes rough, but we are free to express, still.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I am saying that at this point, no. It will take much more. If he continues to be consistently on the side of Americans, rather than a party, then yes. He is am upstart, so was Obama. He is a speaker, so is Obama. For good or ill, Obama electrified the country, not just the extreme left. The politics and principle didn’t matter near as much as the aura.

After this mistake is on it’s last couple years, the electorate will examine what’s next. Convinced that voters will be more intuitive rather than reactionary, I believe we will select a principled leader. Rand Paul might be that leader. I just refuse to lend myself to excitement or fandom of an elected official based only on a half a day of talking over something that in my mind, was inconsequential. Not on principle but application. I know that many people think the length of the filibuster commands attention, though the White House would have provided the same answer whether it took 13 seconds or 13 days.

My opinions are reflective of my experience and thought and in no way detract from the noble actions of Rand Paul or anyone else who loves their country. My simple answer to electability is, probably not. But maybe in time. The dynamics of republican and conservative disadvantages in the current and foreseeable elections are numerous and significant. Rand Paul was a gentleman yesterday. Beyond that…

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

williamg on March 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Seconded to both!!

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Man I hope I didn’t accidentally tweet that to the White house. They will not be amused. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Oh it sounds real bad… can’t wait to see it!! ;-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Make of it what you wish.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM

This experiment with the thread “refresh” is not working out well..imho..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM

williamg on March 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

LOL! ‘Hi” and, to friends, it’s ‘Jackie’! :)

thatsafactjack on March 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Hey, Holder said to RP that they can’t drone you.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Lol! Its not that bad really. Well to me anyway. I’m sure plenty of folks would find it offensive. Starting to worry, its been a while since I tweeted RWM.

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Lol! They might change they’re minds. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

thatsafactjack on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

…and!
N O
T R O L L S !

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Besides they lie!

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I have to remark that Paul, Cruz, and some others to a lesser degree, are receiving great praise for standing firm, particularly about defending the Constitution. People like most of us have been screaming for years for someone to show some freakin leadership and belief in the principles this nation was founded on. Take a good look at our “leaders” who have been there for decades and just rolled with it. I hope their time is passing.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Dang, I hope RWM is taking care of some girl stuff or something. tick, tick, tick,………..

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I guess I’m just tired of the like-mindedness here. Heroes come and go like tides on hotair. Crist, Christie, Ryan, Rubio, Carson, Cain, Bachman, Perry, Santorum.

Share a thought other than the opinion of the day and you’re a pariah or heretic. Demands if explanation, then ridicule, name calling and scorn. Thinking was once celebrated.

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

The thing is,,, when things get rough and times are hard,,,

Will I still be able to garner my opinion over coddled eggs while reading the NYT’s?

Sometimes I wonder who we listen to.

I mean, is there a I busted some eggs in a cast iron skillet crowd? Over a campfire?

That’s my speed.

wolly4321 on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Getting to the Big Show seems to neuter most, whether it is in Sports or Politics. Easier to not rock the boat and enjoy the perks.

Sad state of affairs.

can_con on March 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I hear you..Primary Colors was about “Billy Jeff” and I aso thought it did a good job of describing the Clintons..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I missed most of it, myself. However, the part I did see tended toward the same goal: Taking the ability away from Obama to define the use of drones and force on his own terms, and seeing that regulation of that power is well defined, strictly enforced, and subject to oversight by congress.

I’m hopeful, given the direction the debate has taken since yesterday, that we will see that goal made material. I am now certain that neither Holder, nor Obama, will be able to make that determination and that task will, instead, fall to congress, as it should. That, in itself, makes it a remarkably good day.

thatsafactjack on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Maybe she fainted?

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Takes thick skin to be on HA. But it’s the best site to be on.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Besides they lie!

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Besides, old ‘n crazy McCain, when he said “NO one will drop a drone on Jane Fonda” missed that they wish to drop them on you/us.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Yes… remarkable how they evaporate in the light of reason. :)

thatsafactjack on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Are staring and admiring the same thing?

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Sure. We admire a good booty when we see one. (:

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Thank goodness, I can relax. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Takes thick skin to be on HA. But it’s the best site to be on.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

This is mild taters. It takes steel and tons of wit to be on Ace of Spades.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Maybe she fainted?

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No, she responded in tweety land. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Don’t sneeze on my page 2 Bishop

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

…no one is sneezing!…can’t you see us?…we’re all bowing down…it’s like a reverse of THE WAVE at a stadium…from one end of the country to the other…I didn’t bow quick enough when it came back from the right…and got slapped down!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Thank goodness, I can relax. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Yep. Must be nice. I’ll send you an invoice for the latest graphic that I did for you. Plus SWalker still has to pay me for some guitar lesson I gave him.

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Who’s called you out?

I made a stupid mistake last night, for which I apologised…

Perhaps the person who said somthing to you will do the same.

We are but fallable humans… mistakes are made…

Now cheer up ok! {hug}

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Agreed. I read from time to time, but I guess I’m not suited for it.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I was gonna start on the car one, but got side tracked with four plus others. Soon. I promise. ; ) Did you see any of the ones I did today?

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

The heroes may change, but the enemy remains the same: the democrat party and their RINO enablers.

SouthernGent on March 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

You make very good points!!!..Some are “loud” and post “half truths and “conspiracy” theories also..Try to ignore for the most part and keep posting..Hopefully they will leave on their own..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Now cheer up ok! {hug}

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

My Scrumpy hug detector just went off!

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Hey you guys!! Lol ;-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I did these Schadenfreude. See what you think.

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM

One for you too {hug} :-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

SparkPlug on March 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Hey you guys!! Lol ;-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Umm, you weren’t supposed to see that…

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Bmore, I saw the Cruz/Paul one, the McCain as traitor…thus, two out of 4. Sorry I missed the other two, and no worries on the timing…just so long as it falls within the news window. You do great work.

———–

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

He and AP are good friends. He’s a very intense and fair fellow.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

McCain and Graham and Rubio and other “Republicans” voted to put at the head of the CIA a humorless bureaucrat of a man who is pro-Islam and would look right at home in an SS uniform.

VorDaj on March 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Evening Dire! ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Rand Paul is highly electable because of his authenticity and everyman charm. The dems have never seen a republican like this, in that he breaks all the molds that they have conditioned themselves to bring the attack against.

Pitchforker on March 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM

One for you too {hug} :-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I love these hugs!

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Bmore, I saved the Paul/Cruz one, that was sweet!! {hug} for all your good work!

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It’s not a thick skin issue. I’m a big enough boy. It’s more annoyance that if you stop being a cheerleader for a minute, you must explain yourself immediately.

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Don’t paint too broad a brush. Not everyone was on every band wagon. I don’t recall being on any of those you listed. I’ve said several times we’ll see leaders emerge by what they do.

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Good evening to you!

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I liked that one too. But McCain….I really liked that one.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Yeah the pointy headed one? or the ‘other’ one… :-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM

That last link is blank. I remembered we could only do three at a time but had already typed the period.

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Takes thick skin to be on HA.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

And sometimes several backup ID’s.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on March 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Bmore, the first 3 link, the last one doesn’t.

I saw the SP one earlier too – nice.

I have no idea why you were afraid to post the 2nd one. You’re funny sometimes with the ‘fear’.

Good job on all. You have the talent, fer sure. I’m glad we can count on you, even ‘abuse’ you for it.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Since I am not ‘battle hardened’ as yet, I shall not entangle myself with those of an opposing view…

Unless I have all my ducks in a row!

I don’t do good in a forum like this, I am more of a one on one type.

Tho I have my moments :-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I agree..Young Bulls vs Old Bulls..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

…the Old Bulls were gelded years ago!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Okay RWM is gonna post the, “Mr. Messina Goes Down To D.C.”, as soon as she has a song to go with it. I’ll post it after she does, but if they ban both of us, promise you’ll help get us reinstated. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM

The other one.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Its not fear so much as I just don’t want to get banned over a silly photoshop. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

May Schmidt choke on a ham sandwich.

RickB on March 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I will second!

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Put me down for number three.

NeoKong on March 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I’m # 4 or # whoever is the latest:-)

bluefox on March 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Totally 100% I shall do my best! :-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

McCain is worse than “fundamentally flawed” in the political sense. There has always been something very wrong with his character, which is one of extreme “me-first-and-only” self-entitlement. He was wrongfully admitted to the Naval Academy with bad grades ahead of more qualified applicants because his daddy and granddaddy were admirals. Rules that apply to ordinary people don’t apply to him. He thumbed his nose at Annapolis because he couldn’t be kicked out or flunked out, because he was JOHN MCCAIN, son and grandson of ADMIRALS. He ignored orders and crashed planes, because he couldn’t be disciplined as the son and grandson of admirals. He ditched the wife who stood by him, when he wanted a rich blonde chick young enough to be his daughter, who could finance his political ambition.

He was caught taking bribes to his wife from the Keating 5, so tried to cover his tracks by imposing the McCain-Feingold nonsense on everyone else (laws only apply to everyone else, not to JOHN MCCAIN). He entertained a blonde lobbyist in ways that worried his staff, and improperly pressured the FCC for her in exchange for …., because he is JOHN MCCAIN!!!!!!. He yelled obscenities at other senators who questioned ramming his McCain-Kennedy amnesty through the Senate in the dead of night without debate, and screamed he knew more about it than anyone else – because he is JOHN MCCAIN, a legend in his own mind !!!!!! He has had secret no press allowed meetings to praise Mexico as our dearest friend and closest neighbor, calling enforcement of the laws “Rhetoric”.

As president, McCain, like the man he helped elect. Barack Obama, would have tried to rule by fiat and would make Hugo Chavez look like George Washington. Like the Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts, if any GOP congresscritter disagreed with him “OFF WITH HER HEAD- I’m JOHN MCCAIN, KING OF THE UNIVERSE!!!” There has always been something consistently very wrong with McCain’s character. Through it all, this lying unreliable self-aggrandizing megalomaniac poses as a “straight talker”, and is so sick, he probably believes it himself, because he is JOHN MCCAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!, son and grandson of ADMIRALS.

RasThavas on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm, if you doubt it will pass muster, we have a link to your blog in your nom, just add it somewhere where we can check it out!

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Thanks AP for putting up the audio of Rush, that was awesome!!

bluefox on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I realize that. I didn’t mean to infer all or even most. I’m just mad. It will pass.

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Go check the special place. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Yeah me too, a tad gross! But fitting :-)

Scrumpy on March 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I do think we’ll have more to choose from in 2016 and hopefully, we’ll have some good ones in the group.

In President Reagan’s Farewell Speech he gave us a warning that many didn’t heed.

Finally, there is a great tradition of warnings in Presidential farewells, and I’ve got one that’s been on my mind for some time. But oddly enough, it starts with one of the things I’m proudest of in the past 8 years: the resur- gence of national pride that I called the new patriotism. This national feeling is good, but it won’t count for much, and it won’t last unless it’s grounded in thought- fulness and knowledge.

An informed patriotism is what we want. And are we doing a good enough job teaching our children what America is and what she represents in the long history of the world?…

Our spirit is back, but we haven’t reinstitutionalized it. We’ve got to do a better job of getting across that America is freedom–freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of enterprise. And freedom is special and rare. It’s fragile; it needs [protection].

So, we’ve got to teach history based not on what’s in fashion but what’s important…

One thing Obama did was wake some people up to start reading the Constitution again.

And as far as Rand, Mike Lee, Ted Cruz and others worked to give us some informed patriotism yesterday, what they did was a great thing. We needed the lift of hearing voices on that Senate floor talk about who we are as a nation.

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

OK. I get you.

INC on March 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Number one, you don’t have to explain yourself to anyone. That is a choice. Number two, I think something specific has been bugging you for a few days at least. Just my guess, and saying it as a friend. Your boda fides are well established.

KCB on March 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Bona fides….

KCB on March 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM

When David Frum is against you, you’ve made the right call.

I spend most of my time with 20somethings. These are mostly college-educated, minority, and lax on social issues save hemp. Since 2010, whenever politics comes up, I point them to Rand.

They’re willing to hear him because of Ron. So to take up the issue of the prison planet was hitting the sweet spot.

Until the Bushes and the Military Addicts get involved, Paul is on a collision course with Hillary. If anything, Paul could cost Hillary the nomination, because he creates an opening for someone on the Dem side to run pacifist to her hawk.

Right now, everyone who is opposed to Paul only builds his credibility. If Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove come out against him, Jeb won’t even get to Iowa.

budfox on March 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I broke Hot Air.

Here’s the link again:

President Reagan’s Farewell Speech

reagan2020.us is a great site to look around.

INC on March 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Where is the McCain one? Good work sir, you are very creative.

McCain is one miserable @#$%%^&^&&er. Caused nothing but trouble since at least 00.
It dawned on me today. Not only does he disagree with Rand Paul but he can’t stand the fact that someone else might get attention besides him and his ball washer Linthy.

arnold ziffel on March 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM

…the Old Bulls were gelded years ago!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

LoLz..I guess a couple of them did not get the memo..:)

Dire Straits on March 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Need some brain bleach and some screen cleaner!

Ah, yeah, lmao damn good but yeah… wow!

Can’t stop laughing!

Scrumpy on March 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Bmore on March 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

…SOME STUPID A$$!!!…who shall go un-named!…just spent a couple of minutes trying to click on that period and thought he had been drinking too much!

KOOLAID2 on March 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

arnold ziffel on March 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I did the McCain one a couple of weeks back or so. I loaded it up today, mainly because, well, he’s an ass hole. ; ) And a traitor!

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Wow, good Rusty, you must have missed the ‘beatings’ I get, from all sides.

Makes me smile and then I kick my Schadenfreude in. Fight them or ignore them. Just don’t suffer…first the fools, not lightly, not at all, then don’t suffer at all.

On the first quote, it’s sad that people don’t multi-thread with their god-given brains. I lament it often.

On your latter quote, agreeing/cheerleading for the sake of it would make you/us the same as the Obama-azz-kissers.

Now, cheer up. You’re free here, and still in the US, to do/say, or not, anything you wish.

p.s. on HA just note the private site restrictions :)

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Rusty Allen on March 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I’ve been around here a long time and am a bit like you, I suspect. March to my own drum, don’t exactly fit well into all the required categories at times, and get really bored in echo chambers. I’ve found that most of the posters here accept that after they know you. I try to be a little careful in how I word my disagreements. If it gets on my nerves too much, I go to the Belmont Club site.

a capella on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM

INC on March 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM

That’s good stuff there. That’s the point I tried to make. It can’t be feelings, it must be needs.

KCB on March 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Thanks, no more complaining on my part.

Rusty Allen on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Takes thick skin to be on HA. But it’s the best site to be on.

KCB on March 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Agree on both points..:)

Dire Straits on March 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

The fourth one actually ended up at the Gulch. ; )

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Scrumpy on March 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You think they’d ban me?

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

That’s YOUR excuse!! Heck I clicked it several times and haven’t been drinking!! Lmao…

Scrumpy on March 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Scrumpy on March 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

P.S. You get the red tie, because you have been watching my red tie series. I wonder if others might not?

Bmore on March 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM