Graham: Rand Paul’s filibuster demonstrated “paranoia between libertarians and the hard left that is unjustified”

posted at 1:21 pm on March 7, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

If you didn’t happen to have a few spare hours to tune in to Sen. Rand Paul’s epic 13-hour filibuster, a bunch of fellow Republican senators joined in to echo Paul’s questions about the Obama administration’s policy on drone use on American citizens and on American soil, including Cruz, Rubio, McConnell, Lee, Moran, Barrasso, Toomey, Flake, Scott, Thune, and Johnson — and the whole thing even got bipartisan when Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden agreed that Paul’s questions were appropriate and legitimate ones to ask of the administration.

Not all Republicans, however, were quite as enthusiastic about Paul’s efforts last night.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said the prospect of drones being used to kill people in the United States was “ridiculous” and he called the debate “paranoia between libertarians and the hard left that is unjustified.”

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, echoed Graham. He said it is unconstitutional for the U.S. military or intelligence agencies to conduct lethal counterterrorism operations in the United States against U.S. citizens. Suggesting they can or might, Rogers said, “provokes needless fear and detracts attention from the real threats facing the country.”

Via Gateway Pundit:

Well, if the idea is so very “ridiculous,” then why the heck can’t the administration just say no?

Graham gave his own performance on the Senate floor on Thursday with Sen. McCain backing him up; suggesting that we’re going to rain death on Jane Fonda or someone sitting in a cafe brings the discussion from the realm of the serious “into the ridiculous,” said McCain. “I don’t think what happened yesterday was helpful to the American people. … What we saw yesterday is going to give ammunition to those critics who say the rules of the Senate are being abused.”

“I don’t remember you [Republicans] coming down here saying President Bush was going to kill anyone with a drone,” Graham chided. “I do not believe that [Paul's question] is a question that deserves an answer.”

Seconded:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

All right, it is clear to me now. (Finally! many of you might say.). Before, I gave McCain benefit of the doubt, but it’s obvious now they aren’t on our – the American people’s – side. And definitely not on the republicans’ side.

This p*sses me off so much. I regret ever voting for this self-serving traitor.

Alana on March 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

What, at this point, matters …. (ha, tricked ya there, didn’t I), anyway … my putting any sort of rebuttal of Graham and/or McCain together own arguing why they are wrong on the issues would be both tedious and I think fruitless.

So let me sum up my one thought about them, generally. What, at this point, matters, is that both Graham and McCain have shown themselves to be cowards. That’s right, cowards.

I’m sure that everyone noticed the format when a filibuster is in the making, i.e., Paul had the floor but people could request time to pose a question, and while most did so in support of Paul, Durbin showed that Paul was more than happy to entertain and respond to opposing viewpoints as well as allow others to join in. It’s that funny thing we call debate, something Paul noted more than once ought to occur more often in what used to be referred to The World’s Greatest Deliberative Body.

Were Graham and McCain there, to pose their concerns about the delay and/or the issue which Paul was raising? No. What did they instead. Well, from the video, Graham appears to have run to some room in the Capitol to make his point to television cameras. Mr. Tough Guy he is, capable of casting aspersions on Paul’s position and getting to make them untested by Paul’s retorts. Senator Upstanding, running from the chamber to shoot down Paul behind his back.

I’d love to see the vid of McCain. I hear he did voice his opinion in Chamber today, rather than yesterday when the debate was actually on. I’d be interested in knowing if that time and place allowed debate of McCain’s position. My suspicion of this wily, old, Senator’s choice of ground indicates it did not, for the same reason as Graham took the route he did. He didn’t want to hazard his opinion being tested by someone his better on the subject.

Cowards afraid to debate.

Dusty on March 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The War on Women is really taking its toll on Graham.

Curtiss on March 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Have mercy. She’s sorely in need of hormone therapy. Menopause is hard.

katy the mean old lady on March 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Lindsey Graham is an incredible establishment RINO tool bag!

MCGIRV on March 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

There were senior senators who came to the floor and supported the filibuster.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas (Minority whip) supported Sen. Rand’s filibuster.

Is he paranoid?

Sen. McConnell (Minority Leader) supported Sen. Rand’s filibuster

Is he paranoid?

workingclass artist on March 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

The difference between McConnell and Graham/McCain is McCain’s announced this is his last term, Graham should have no prayer of making it through the primaries this year whereas McConnell’s up for re-election and wants help to keep his seat.

alchemist19 on March 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

lostmotherland on March 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Well, it’s not as if the other side forwarded ANYTHING ressembling a better alternative – either time, so save your feigned indignation, you hold no high ground.

PJ Emeritus on March 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It’s always hilarious to watch Lindsey and Mav try to crack open a can of suckass on someone. It just smacks of effort.

Christien on March 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Flimsy Graham and John McLame don’t like conservatives. And they also don’t like anybody who takes the spotlight away from THEM.

TarheelBen on March 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Dusty on March 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Your point is actually quite astute. If I may summarize in my own words:
McCain and Graham chose to not confront Paul with his views, even though he was taking questions from both supporters and people opposed to his position.

McCain and Graham ran to the TV cameras to bash Paul when they had nearly 13 hours to openly question him in front of everyone.

McCain and Graham are either A)Cowards, or B)attempting to make a political statement while being shielded from actually having to debate, or C) both A and B.

Paul needs to say that he is not taking them seriously since Graham and McCain had 13 hours to approach him with their views yesterday and chose not to.

weaselyone on March 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Graham seems to be begging for a GOP primary opponent..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

[weaselyone on March 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM]

Yeah, that’s a good summation, weaselyone. I do get too wordy when I write.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

Dusty on March 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Grammy and McLame are just upset that after donning their kneepads for dinner with Obumbles, they didn’t even get a photo op out of it.

dddave on March 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yeah, that’s a good summation, weaselyone. I do get too wordy when I write. I do think it’s really important and there’s a lot more, uncivilly speaking, about their shenanigans in this regard that they ought to be called out on. Moreso on account of the McCain just above this one.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

Dusty on March 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I won’t attack you for the filibuster. :)

weaselyone on March 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

yutz

Sammy316 on March 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Flying Pig Alert: Van Jones Hits Fellow Libs For Not Opposing Obama’s Domestic Drone Policy…

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

1. I thought the flying pig was my comments on the original thread.
2. If anyone is curious about my political views, Van Jones is about as close to an archetype for me as there is out there.

libfreeordie on March 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

libfreeordie on March 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The flying pig alert is the title of the post, which isn’t mine. As for you being simpatico with Van Jones, luv, I figured that out about 2 nanoseconds after the first time that I ever read you.

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

aryeung on March 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Some GOP media outlets are trying to give Rubio an inordinate amount of credit for last night. In fact Mike Lee made a far more substantial contribution than Rubio. At one point Rubio was quoting lyrics from rap songs, and at at least one point wasn’t even sure how they were even relevant. Sure, Rubio showed up, but in fact it was Mike Lee and Ted Cruz who made the biggest contribution, IMO. Rubio may have been competitive for fifth or sixth place—probably even lower if you include the Democrat.

FloatingRock on March 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I noticed that also. And as far as the filibuster, Rand Paul and
Ted Cruz were the adults in the room; Marco Rubio was the pre
teen.

Amjean on March 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

“I was going to vote against Brennan, until the filibuster,” Graham, of South Carolina, said Thursday. “I thought Brennan was arrogant, a bit shifty. I am going to vote for Brennan now because it’s become a referendum on the drone program.”

“I’m gonna vote for this arrogant, shifty yeller-bellied Yankee ‘cuz, like, ya know, I really am juz pea green with envy and I juz believe that we can’t think about what might happen to our sacred drone programme tomorrow, tomorrow isn’t juz another day! As God is my witness, I’ll never let a’nutta passel of mealy-mouthed, Tea Party brats get da Senate floor again!”

- Senator Lindsey Graham O’Hara (RINO-MIC, SC)

Resist We Much on March 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Graham is just butt hurt that Rand upstaged him. Graham was in charge of the invite list for dinner with preezy last night. So while the old guard showed up to dinner with preezy, along with their kneepads, Rand was defending the constitution in front of a spellbound America.

Senator McCain: senate rules be damn*d. The mere fact you think Americans give a hoot about senate rules just shows how far you are off base here. Sit down and STFU!!!!

karenhasfreedom on March 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

The thought occurs to me that if rino Graham was in charge of the
invite list, then we conservatives had better keep watch on the
invitees. I don’t see Graham inviting anyone who really
is conservative to that dinner. Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Mike
Lee certainly were not invited and they have shown to be conservative stars. Now, some of them may have conservative views
on single issue, however, by Graham inviting them and them showing up shows me that they will cave to rino elite pressure on most
bills. And the one that really disturbs me is Kelly Ayote. She seems to be their token female voice who goes with the flow.
All of them worth keeping an eye on. None of them for president
in 2016.

Amjean on March 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Well, well, WELL! I certainly am getting quite a track record of being right here in Hot Air as I KNEW the GOPe would start in with their Palinization of Paul today.

I’ve got vision while the rest are wearing 0bama stained bifocals…

Maybe not ALL of the rest, but quite a few.

DannoJyd on March 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

As for Graham’s “paranoia between libertarians and the hard left that is unjustified”, today we’ve got drones in AMERICA, urban assault vehicles being deployed, 0bamaScare, hollow tip ammo for Social Security employees, … what more do you need to see in order to understand the democrats and their supporters [GRAHAM!] are the EXTREMISTS working to TERRORIZE us into submission!!!

I [barely] remember when American men weren’t such ostriches. America ALWAYS gets the government it DESERVES.

DannoJyd on March 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

It’s time for La Lindsey to go. To use the old fashioned phrase, he is yesterday’s man.

Same with McCain.

NealK on March 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

F*ck you, Graham. Go straight to hell.

Midas on March 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

It’s hard to hear someone so far back in the closet

TexasJew on March 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

When I think of the Clinton Impeachment, how many Democrats had the courage to say it wasn’t right for a sitting President to lie under oath? Here, we have a Senator who has the courage of his convictions and you have 2 guys knocking him, publicly, giving the Democrats ammunition in the serious fights ahead. If you want to know how Obama is going to destroy this country, just look at his opposition and you’ll see those who will go along to get along and throw their fellow Republicans under the bus to show how well they get along.

I’m sure Paul got more votes and Graham and McCain lost a few with their comments. I do believe it’s time for McCain to retire. When you condemn a president for waterboarding, and the “victim” is still alive, then support another for using a drone and killing a guy and many more in collateral damage, you don’t quite have your head on straight.

bflat879 on March 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Goober brought a sign to the floor that said-

Number of Americans Killed in the U.S: (sic)

- By Al Qaeda: 2,958

- By Drones: 0

- At Waco: 52

- At Ruby Ridge: 2

I’m just kidding about the last two.

Akzed on March 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The fact that it took a filibuster to get the Obamao administration to finally admit the President does not have the power to drone to death innocent Americans on American soil is evidence enough that nobody is being paranoid here.Now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is no longer used Lindsey,you can feel better about going over to Afghanistan and losing your arms and legs for a bunch of opium addicts who hate our country anyway!

redware on March 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Goober brought a sign to the floor that said-

Number of Americans Killed in the U.S: (sic)

- By Al Qaeda: 2,958

- By Drones: 0

- At Waco: 52

- At Ruby Ridge: 2

I’m just kidding about the last two.

Akzed on March 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

But I’m not. And there’s other cases, to include snatching and repatriating a political refugee w/ immediate American relatives and handing Elian over to a murderous dictator.

AH_C on March 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM

While Graham and his pals like John McCain were genuflecting before the president, Rand Paul was filibustering on the Senate floor, accompanied by Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio. The difference between the old guard and the new guard of the GOP has never been so clear.

Graham continued, “The discussions with the President about our long-term budget problems were candid and differences in philosophy were apparent. However, also apparent was common ground on how to move forward.”

In lockstep with Obama, one would presume.

DannoJyd on March 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

“unjustified paranoia”?

When it comes to D.C. and the media– Haw-dly.

Drudge link—

AF removes RPA airstrike number from summary

By Brian Everstine and Aaron Mehta – Staff writers Air Force Times (Gannett)
Posted : Friday Mar 8, 2013 12:34:50 EST

As scrutiny and debate over the use of remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the American military increased last month, the Air Force reversed a policy of sharing the number of airstrikes launched from RPAs in Afghanistan and quietly scrubbed those statistics from previous releases kept on their website.

Last October, Air Force Central Command started tallying weapons releases from RPAs, broken down into monthly updates. At the time, AFCENT spokeswoman Capt. Kim Bender said the numbers would be put out every month as part of a service effort to “provide more detailed information on RPA ops in Afghanistan.”

The Air Force maintained that policy for the statistics reports for November, December and January. But the February numbers, released March 7, contained empty space where the box of RPA statistics had previously been.

socalcon on March 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM