GOP congressman takes CDC director to task on sequester-affected vaccines for children

posted at 7:01 pm on March 6, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

As part of their sequestration-scaremongering roundup, the White House went straight for the worst-case scenarios that would hit all of the federal government’s departments and agencies in the spending cuts’ wake — terrible calamities, like “hundreds of thousands of Americans” losing access “to primary care and preventive care like flu vaccinations and cancer screenings.” The administration circulated their state-by-state report through Congress to that effect, detailing how thousands fewer children would receive vaccinations as a direct result.

But wait a moment, said Maryland Republican Rep. Andy Harris during a House Appropriations subcommittee meeting on Tuesday that included Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control. The relevant 317 Immunization Program, receiving an approximately $30 million cut under sequestration, actually got a much shorter shrift in President Obama’s own proposed FY 2013 budget (which nobody voted for, and sidebar: We’re still waiting for the White House to get around to produce his FY 2014 budget that was due only, oh, a month ago), to the tune of a nearly $58 million cut. Does anybody else find that odd that we weren’t treated to dire warnings about vaccination-reductions under the president’s plan, but not under sequestration?

Cue the takedown, via NRO:

The White House just got served.

Comments

so pretty much every layer of the obama appointees are full of sh**.

rob verdi on March 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Silly boy! When obama does it, that is an act of God. When the republicans do it, that is the devil’s work. Where have you been for the last four years?

Old Country Boy on March 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

W. T. F. ?

singlemalt 18 on March 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I think this entire mess is back firing on Obama and it is about time.

bopbottle on March 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Maryland Republican Rep. Andy Harris

Wait … is that a typo? You mean to tell me there are actual republicans in Maryland?

Lost in Jersey on March 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Every day, Republicans need to keep hammering facts like this.

If there was ever a deer-in-the-headlights look, that was it. :)

itsspideyman on March 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Most dishonest administration ever.

Aplombed on March 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

so pretty much every layer of the obama appointees are full of sh**.

rob verdi on March 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Most Marxists are – when they say ‘it’s for the children” it’s not – it’s for them….

Why did Chavez die with a $2 billion fortune? Shouldn’t his family distribute his fortune he amassed in the name of the people – to the people???

redguy on March 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

…B A S T U R D S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

This is like hitting fungos for little leaguers today. The cigars just keep exploding in their faces. Keep it up GOP!

DanMan on March 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

They need to somehow get this on the national news. I am so tired of the Fn BS that democrats get away with.

tommer74 on March 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

tommer74 on March 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

…it’s not in their interest!….but there’s a ‘sink hole’…in Florida!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

he needs a vaccine that prevents white goo from sticking on his chin…PWNED.

hillsoftx on March 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I looked for the coverage on this on the MSM news and didn’t see it. I guess they just missed it. Surely the NYT will have it tomorrow.

Rumpole of the Bailey on March 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Well, I’m just glad that Michelle’s Brazilian-waxing budget is immune to sequestration – I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Pork-Chop on March 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Having worked in R&D on medical devices with anti-infective properties, I had a large amount of respect for the CDC fom a scientific point of view.

I guess I can scratch that group off the list now.

Unfreakingbelievable.

parke on March 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Lost in Jersey on March 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The only congressman and about the only elected one left. We suck.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Barry excels at talking out of both sides of his mouth.

GarandFan on March 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Stammering fool got caught with his panties down around his ankles….

Sherman1864 on March 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Funny how the stuff they cut when forced to make cuts is almost always stuff that affects women and children?

MelonCollie on March 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

0bama no tiene pantalones.

jukin3 on March 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Boom! goes teh dynamite.

mchristian on March 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I cannot believe this stuff. A highly educated MD, head of the entire CDC playing dumb. The congressman is a better man than me.

arnold ziffel on March 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I am proud to call Andy my Congressman. He’s solid.

Turn MD Red on March 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM

NEWS FLASH

This just in! The Obama administration is dishonest. /

FOWG1 on March 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

“So do you in fact, Dr. Frieden, have a tiny child-like penis?”

“I’ll have to get back to you on that.”

Spider79 on March 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My lib friends have been strangely silent on the sequester. They are struggling finding a talking point that holds up for more than 2 minutes.

The next thing we know the talking point will be that the President did an outstanding job of minimizing the damage of the sequester and that’s why nobody felt it.

goflyers on March 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Bazinga, indeed!

KS Rex on March 6, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The only thing missing was some red and white cookie sprinkles on Dr. Friedman’s upper lip.

Well, that and he wasn’t even remotely cute.

iurockhead on March 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

That was priceless!

Tim Zank on March 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Andy Harris is my Congressman, great guy. And he’s a doctor :-)

what an idiot from CDC, “I’ll have to get back to you, stammer, stammer”.

williampeck1958 on March 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Just remember the CDC is the same outfit that was telling us that everyone was susceptible to AIDs way back when. But when you looked at their data you saw that the people getting AIDs were homosexual makes and intravenous drug users. Of the small percentage of supposedly heterosexual males who were getting AIDs, most of them were lying about their homosexual activity.

The CDC was lying then just like they are lying now – government science at it finest.

woodNfish on March 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM

CHECK MATE!

cat-scratch on March 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Andy Harris just won my vote for House Speaker.

That was just…wow.

I’m not sure what makes me angrier: that the White House churns out bald-faced lies like this every hour, or that 99 times out of 100 they get away with it.

LagunaDave on March 7, 2013 at 5:00 AM

That wasn’t a deer in the headlights look, it was him thinking there goes my highly overpaid, cushy, govt job with all the pension benefits out the door look. Dear leader tosses bad liars under a bus for a lot less.

Kissmygrits on March 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Yep, It’s like a tomb on FB from lefty friends/family.

Bob's Kid on March 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM

The White House just got served.

Maybe in that normal universe I came from. Somewhere along the line I came over to this one. In the normal universe, shame was something a person avoided and people knew right from wrong. A person being identified as a liar or thief or murderer would bring shame and that person would slink off and you’d never hear from them again. In this alternate universe, those people get high paying jobs in the US government. The Obama administration seems particularly attractive to them.

TulsAmerican on March 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

The White House just got served.

TulsAmerican on March 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

The two universes diverged when Clinton said, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.” And far from being impeached, he became a Democrat hero.

tom on March 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM