Breaking: Rand Paul launches talking filibuster on Brennan confirmation; Update: Mike Lee too? Update: Rubio chimes in on Twitter; Update: Cruz joins in; Update: Democrat Ron Wyden joins too; Update: Rubio speaks

posted at 1:01 pm on March 6, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Consider this Rand Paul’s Mr. Smith Goes To Washington moment, and an answer of sorts to filibuster reform.  Paul has vowed to continue his speech until Barack Obama himself declares that he has no authority to launch a drone strike on an American citizen on American soil.  Paul accused Obama and Democrats on Capitol Hill for hypocrisy as well, pointing out that they were ready to accuse George Bush of making himself king and wiping his feet on the Constitution.  Where are their voices now, Paul wonders:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has launched a talking filibuster against the nomination of John Brennan to be director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

“I’m here to filibuster John Brennan’s nomination to be director of CIA,” Paul said on the Senate floor Wednesday. “I will speak for as long as it takes.

“I will speak today until the president says, ‘no’ he will not kill you at a café.”

Paul has said he wants more answers from the administration on whether American citizens can be targeted by armed drones inside the United States before he’ll lift his filibuster on Brennan’s nomination. …

“Has America the beautiful become ‘Alice in Wonderland’?” Paul said. “When I asked the president can you kill an American on American soil, it should have been an easy answer — an unequivocal no.

“But his answer was, ‘I haven’t killed anyone yet and I have no intention of killing Americans, but I might.’”

Paul spent a considerable amount of time on the Posse Comitatus Act, pointing out that the government is barred from using military force on American soil unless war or an insurrection is declared.  The point, Paul says, is that military and police power are separated from judicial power for a reason, and the reason is due process.  Without that separation, the executive will be transformed into a tyrannical power, regardless of whether the executive chooses to exercise that power or not.  The answer from Eric Holder that “we probably won’t exercise that power” doesn’t address the issue.

Tangentially, this is also interesting in the context of filibuster reform.  The presumption of both sides was that no one was really interested in talking filibusters any longer.  Obviously, that’s not the case, and this one might be lengthier than others.  Rand Paul is much younger than an average Senator, having just turned 50, and he’s in good shape.  Presumably, his stamina won’t come into question for at least several hours, so we may get a very large helping of Paul’s views on everything from the topic at hand to the need for the Washington Redskins to give RGIII more protection on the O-line.

While I’m updating this, Paul just asked whether this power would have been so acceptable to Democrats 40 years ago.  What if, Paul wondered, someone had dropped a Hellfire missile on Jane Fonda or college students at the time who were raising money for the Viet Cong? Would the same Democrats who are sitting on the sidelines now have protested such tactics at the time? After all, raising money for the enemy is arguably treason, and Paul said he’d have called it that — but those students would have deserved to get their day in court.

Somehow, I doubt that Obama will respond, but perhaps Jay Carney will need to issue a clarification in the next few hours for Reid to get his chamber back.  I doubt that Republicans will step in to help stop Paul’s filibuster, as long as he’s talking.

Update (AP): And then there were two.

Update (AP): Rubio’s late to the party, but the more buzz his prospective 2016 rival gets for this filibuster, the greater the pressure on him to speak up too. Just across on Twitter:

Update (Ed): Ted Cruz has just joined in to ask questions of Paul, in what looks like a pretty smart strategy.  Paul has specifically stated that he will take questions without relinquishing control of the floor, and both Cruz and Lee are asking oddly lengthy questions.  In other words, they’re providing Paul with short opportunities to rest his voice, and to add more ammunition to his rhetorical magazine.  Puns very much intended, by the way.

Update (AP): This thing just turned bipartisan:

Last week, Eli Lake dubbed Paul and Wyden the odd couple on drones.

Update (AP): Annnnd at 4:19 ET, Rubio finally speaks.

Update (AP): “Let me give you some advice — keep some water nearby.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 27

It’s November 5, 2014, and members of the Nadal Hasan Martyrs Brigade, a hitherto unknown 57-member islamist paramilitary group from the Dearborn, MI area stages a mortar attack on Fort Hood, after breeching the perimeter. A medical facility and several on-post housing units are hit; there are 27 dead and dozens of wounded. It turns out that most, if not all members of the Brigade are US citizens. A drone with a camera trained on the fighters and two hellfire missiles on board is circling overhead. What should the CinC do?

Time Lord on March 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

You all know that nothing is going to come out of this.. Correct? However, it still is fun theater.

Illinidiva on March 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Howdy. You left last night but I immediately answered you on who I voted for and etc.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I voted for Romney bcs I know is a good man. Who loves America.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I voted for Romney because I heard he was a good man who loves America… not that I ever learned it from his campaign, or on any of his commercials. I had to dig for it in buried comments on a conservative blog by people who listened to early speakers at the convention. (Stories about what he did for the kid who had cancer, or with his donations to charity.)

But Romney was a fool that was unwilling to use his water (his character) to put out the fire (liberals and Obama) because it wouldn’t be right or something. He dug some firelines and hoped that would hold, but seemed surprised when the fire jumped those and started burning down his other arguments. It’s like he didn’t think that the fire would seek out additional fuel to burn, that it would play contentedly within some pre-defined firelines.

He wasn’t willing to get his face and clothes covered in soot and ash and cut the fire down and stop the spread.

He just thought it was an ember, easily contained… not the roaring forest fire burning down everything in its path.

Naive Romney was duped because he didn’t understand that the nature of fire is a desire to burn, not smolder in a defined container.

dominigan on March 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Rand Paul fights. He has a spine. It’s refreshing to see.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on March 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Will Rubio be continuing the speech in Spanish when Rand finally conks over?

Great job Rand!

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I lost my respect for Rand when he voted to confirm the idiot.

Jack_Burton on March 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I don’t really have anything eloquent to say concerning this turn of events, so I’ll keep it simple.

Mucho Props Mister Paul, Mucho mucho props.

WolvenOne on March 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Another great elected, Ted Cruz, got holder to say that killing American’s without due process is unconstitutional? Thank you Ted!

L

letget on March 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Hence a quickly earned moniker on the hill…

Cruz Missle

workingclass artist on March 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

The whiners from the R side are insipid.

Yes, Romney loves his land and Obama wants to destroy her. That’s a big diff. It’s why I voted for Romney. Other than that his pick in the primaries was devastating. I never knew why I should vote for him, not only against Obama.

His team was disgustingly inept and so was he. They fought their R opponents harder in the primaries than they did Obama later. After the first debate Romney could have had it in his palm and he let the Oaf in Chief get away, in a disastrous economic and foreign environment, alas. To even rehash it is too painful and disgusting.

When did Romney do what Rand Paul is doing now?

When could he speak like this?

Never.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Bottom line we need to stop treating the LEFT “nice” and treat them for what they are. Which was revealed even more so last night when Chavez died and the LEFt mourned.

And never expect a RINO to go after a Democrat as hard as they go after a conservative opponent. Remember in the primaries he went absolutely nuclear on his opponents with ad spending. When it came time to face Obama all he could muster was “Obama’s a good man in over his head,” this after the Obama campaign indirectly ran the ad linking Romney to the death of that steelworker’s wife.

I remember after that ad ran and we are all pushing for Romney to give a strong response, his campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said “Well if that woman lived in MA she would have been covered under Romneycare”

Like Are You Freaking Kidding ME??

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

et Sen. Paul voted to confirm Hagel…

workingclass artist on March 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

That was shamefully disgusting.

ebrown2 on March 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yeah…

Nobody’s perfect but the inconsistency was to use a favorite media meme….unexpected

Sen. Paul’s explanation for his vote was pretty lame too.

workingclass artist on March 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

true.

PappyD61 on March 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Just have to be designated a terrorist by someone in authority with an agenda,….. BOOM! Easy peasy. OTOH, it may be an effective way of dealing with the Chicago gangbangers. Rahm may have m0re than a little interest.

a capella on March 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

By Dem standards gangbangers are simply ‘disadvantaged youths’.

Tea Party activists and conservatives have already been called terrorists or accused of being political terrorists for simply objecting to policies of the current administration.

BO defines the “enemy” every day with his constant campaigning. He casts aspersions, denigrates and vilifies anyone and all who disagree.

Dangerous. Unconscionable. And coming directly from the top.

Cody1991 on March 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Give him the 0bamacare bill. It’ll last longer.

CurtZHP on March 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

How about an FEC print-out of Obama’s overseas campaign donor transactions. PLease cite name, amount and Country of Orgin for each transaction.

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Time Lord on March 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

He should get the correct authorization from Congress.

Since that could rightfully be seen as a rebellion/insurrection, all he needs is congressional authorization to use military force against citizens inside the U.S.

JadeNYU on March 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Yes because no one should ever question the US governments tactic of taking (ie redistribution of wealth) the hard earned dollars from American taxpayers and then giving it to foreign governments – such as Israel – in the form of foreign welfare.

All government mandated welfare – regardless of the recipient – is nothing but redistribution of wealth. This is another example of where so called “conservatives” love them some big powerful government and handouts.

MoreLiberty on March 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

RuPaul’s problems go FAR beyond questioning foreign aid.

ebrown2 on March 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I say it is about time the GOP learned some theater. Theater does matter.

William Eaton on March 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Not my style, but I agree.
It’s why American Idol & crap like that are popular.
IT’s how a lot of people roll.

That’s just fine. We have/had our preferences.

Just quit whining or blaming us.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I do blame people who sat out the last election, or voted for Obama rather than Romney.
Did you do any of those things?
Then I can blame you if I like.
As far as whining? I’m being up front & direct.
Being a whiner is being stupid & weak about it.
IMO, & if you don’t like it, I could care less, the reason things are steamrolling so much faster than necessary is bcs many conservatives are busy marginalizing other conservatives for making a decision to go with the flow when everything else they tried to change things didn’t work.
I made that decision.
Frack you all that think I’m a f^cking RINO for doing that.
I still hate the GOP & Rove & others like him. But I know it’s useless to go 3rd party right now.
I didn’t like Romney either. But I wasn’t going to stand by & let Obama in again bcs I knew what he was going to try & do.
I actually really don’t want this country to go full blown commie.
That’s not a good thing for any of this nor my precious little grand daughter.
I may be dead when the $hit truly hits the fan, but I’d rather leave my kids & such something to fight with.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Heh, this too

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Phil? Is he related to that Ben guy from last year?

rogerb on March 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I’m all for this activity. The problem I have
is WHERE ARE THE OTHER FECKLESS WEASELS TO BACK HIM UP!!!!!!!!!

ToddPA on March 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Thus the reason this wasn’t done in the Hagel nomination. There’s no backup, there’s no other republican support….there just aren’t any steel spines in DC with an “R” after it’s name.

tencole on March 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Here is a list of all Senators & House Members Phone & Fax #’s

H/T PVG from Rightscoop

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

dominigan on March 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yup.
In reality, I would have loved to vote for Palin or West.
But I worked with what ended up being given me.
And I’d do it again bcs I never want to say I didn’t at least try to vote nor do I ever want to say I voted for another fracking Hitler or Stalin bcs I wanted my country to imploded faster than it already is.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Yet Sen. Paul voted to confirm Hagel…

workingclass artist on March 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Rand voted for him because, paraphrasing, “Hagel is a horrible choice, but he hasn’t done or said anything that was unconstitutional. So, to not give deference to a President’s cabinet pick just because he’s an idiot, is to go against the law”.

The reality is his father’s based wigged out for voting against Hagel previously, and he needs them to stave off the progs, who’ve learned the hard way when going after Ron Paul.

I’ve been with Rand since he first decided to run. He’s the best player we got. And I hope, hope, the Obama Admin goes after him. Luap Nor is a free radical now. Nothing he would like more than jumping on the national stage to defend his son against blatant tyranny. Team Barry knows this.

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Like Are You Freaking Kidding ME??

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Nice to read your posts again.

ToddPA on March 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

tencole on March 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I’ve personally had this same experience in my own community.
I’ve really wanted to just give up, but can’t quite do that.
I just take a seat on the backburner & do the little things I know I can do & just wait for a better opportunity to change things.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Evidently Senator Rob Portman only takes voice mail message in his D.C. Office & District Offices. Guess he doesn’t want to hear from Ohio Voters, except when he wants their vote. Ok, will do.

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Pretty sure I remember after 9/11 when I said at a local GOP dinner that maybe Bush was growing the power of the presidency too much with wireless phonetaps, I got told “9/11″ and “Patriotism” bs. And there were even bumper stickers that were sold by the GOP (which were quite popular) “Wiretap that ass”

I also made mention of the ridiculousness of confiscating lighters, (as I am a smoker) and was TOLD but “9/11″ and “bush is keeping us safe”

So I call bs, on the notion that most Republicans were opposed to the TSA under Bush, and the extreme measures of security at the time.

And yes Romney appears he has no principals because at his core he is liberal, BUT he has no real core principals outside of getting elected, like a used car salesman, what can I say to get you in this car today?

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Honestly, if Reagan were running for the 1st time in today’s environment, he’d never win. Bcs he wasn’t perfect on everything & he’d be called a RINO, unelectable, etc.

I voted for Romney bcs I know is a good man. Who loves America.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Both men were good men, who love America. But, Reagan’s core was that he believed in the people, their liberty, and market solutions. Romney’s core was that he believed in the government, government mandates, and statist “solutions.” Big difference. And, while Reagan may have by forced by politics or circumstance to deviate from his core, we all knew what his core was and that deviations were anomolies, not patterns.

But, I will agree that purity litmus tests are stupid – like people giving Rand Paul grief over casting a meaningless vote for Hagel: (1) his vote didn’t affect the outcome – at all (he voted against Hagel when his vote actually counted); and (2) Obama was going to get someone an anti-Semite imebecile as his SoD one way or the other, whether it was Hagel or someone else.

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Rand Paul going Old School!

I doubt that Republicans will step in to help stop Paul’s filibuster

FIFY.

Gutless Pukes.

bofh on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Rand Paul rather adroitly playing the Japanese internment card…

JohnGalt23 on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

This is a brilliant move by Rand, because in the age of online video, this will live on.

He’s defining himself before anyone else can.

Truly brilliant.

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Rand Paul rather adroitly playing the Japanese internment card…

JohnGalt23 on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Nice – I was thinking of this analogy just the other day.

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Nice to read your posts again.

ToddPA on March 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Thanks, nice to see your posts again as well. Took a mini break from politics after the election, just now returning.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

This is more entertaining that talk radio!!!!!!

This is the first time I turned on CSPAN2 just to hear some politician pontificate on the Senate floor.

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

How about what would our current CinC do:

First, boldly declare that this is not a terrorist attack by Muslims.
Second, blame the GOP and white people.
Third, immediately announce $100B in new spending initiatives targetted at his largest donors.
Fourth, have a speech where he denigrates Bush for causing the right-wing extremist attack on Dearborn.
Fifth, play golf.
Sixth, play basketball.
Seventh, date night with Michelle.
Eight, wait 3 days then send his advisors out on TV claiming this was a Tea Party protest gone bad.

That’s my guess.

p0s3r on March 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Rand Paul?!?! Is that SOB preventing The Great And Powerful Obama from wielding the tools that will lower ocean levels feed the hungry heat seniors’ homes cure cancer kill Americans on sight without warrants, due process or oversight?

Just who does Paul think he is?

jangle12 on March 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

LOL…this is the same nonsense Obama supporters use when asked why they voted for Obama. The reality is, Rombama is/was just another big government goon. You can try and compare him to reagan but you know and I know you are only looking foolish.
MoreLiberty on March 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

LOL WTF ever!
The reality is that Reagan was another big government goon as well.
FARM PROGRAMS.
None of these people are perfect.
You look foolish to even suggest Reagan was somehow above all of these guys.
He wasn’t.
And I have never compared Romney to Reagan.
I loved Reagan. And I still disagree with things he did.
I liked Bush & hate the Patriot act. Am really pi$$ed off about it getting passed.
Far as me looking foolish, that’s you’re opinion. I really don’t care.
But you’re not going to just sit here & marginalize me & call me RINO when in reality I hate all politicians.
My position is Constitutionalist.
And that party isn’t very forthcoming with the major nominees, now is it?

Yeah much good he did us.
Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

He did a lot better handling 9/11 than Gore would have.
But let’s just ignore all of that.
I personally think it was a waste of time o go to war in Iraq & Afghanistan.
Let those people die in the hell hole they created for themselves.
But whatever.
It’s so much easier to call me a f^cking RINO & brush me off.
My position, in case yall have not been listening, is thaT i will support in the end the nominee that’s been given.
But I put my efforts in toward picking the right nominee first.
I do not believe the best course of action is wait for the perfect candidate or just throw my hands up in the air & vote for Ron Paul, or Gary Johnson blah blah blah.
Making a statement that way might be noble to some, but you still lose.
I’m picking the lesser of 2 evils bcs if I voted for Obama (staying home & doing nothing was the same thing to ME), I would not be able to live with myself.
But that’s just me.
I do not want America to crash & burn right now.
Call me nostalgic & optimistically delusional, but I am not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Lord Acton! He just compared Barry to Lord Action’s axiom! Ha!

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

(1) The phone tapping was for non-US citizens; and (2) the right didn’t even want the TSA to be formed as a federal bureaucracy in the first place (but I think 100 Senators voted for it, so I guess they didn’t oppose it as much as I did – to this day my dad still says “you don’t professionalize unless you federalize” in mocking Democrats).

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Also available on Cspan radio app for iPad/iPhone users. No video, only audio.

weaselyone on March 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!

I am so impressed.

Amjean on March 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

…I liked Rand…until I noticed he talks one way and votes another…I think I’ve seen that before

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Good one, for starters, I’m not your adversary.

Yes, I voted for Romney, dragged kicking and screaming, but I did. There was no one else, other than the Destroyer in Chief.

I understand your note but compromising with the left, being no diff. than them is not the answer. In 2016, if the Rs put up another McCain/Romney, I simply will not vote any more. I’m sick of all the weasels. I unregistered from the Rs years ago, bef. it was fashionable.

For your grandkids and for the only land I ever loved, I hope a leader with character and convictions runs in 2016.

I wish you, yours and the land no less, sincerely.

p.s.

IMO, & if you don’t like it, I could couldn’t care less

p.p.s. no one will ever grant you more rights to do/be anything. Just let the others do/be the same.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

How about what would our current CinC do:

First, boldly declare that this is not a terrorist attack by Muslims.
Second, blame the GOP and white people.
Third [...]

p0s3r on March 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Nope. First thing is to give a shout out to “Dr. Joe Medicine Crow — that Congressional Medal of Honor winner.”

bofh on March 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Rand bumped Hugo off Drudge. And rightfully so!

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Id love to read comments on here about Pauls filibuster and not non stop Romney, Bush, and even Reagan bashing….come on people, is this HotAir or the Huffington Post?

Jack_Burton on March 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

He is shaming the weasels no both sides.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Missed the first hour, but he is going and going!

I am happy he is doing somthing!

Come on 0bama answer him!

It’s a simple yes or no!

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Since he admitted he can’t win, I hope he ends the speech with this quote:

“The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed.”

Good Solid B-Plus on March 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

come on people, is this HotAir or the Huffington Post?

Jack_Burton on March 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ever since Ed appeared on Morning Joe, and Scarby mentioned HA, the site has never been the same. It was like a heatseeker for proglodytes.

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

So is Rand a good guy according to your standards, worthy of being supported, or not?
Or is he grandstanding & off limits now bcs he confirmed Hagel?

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Reagan, I do not believe, was really forced into supporting all of those farm programs. I believe he had a weak spot for farmers & bcs they were whining really loudly, he chose to go against his principles & gave them their $$.
I really have a problem with what he did there.
Just as I really really have a problem with some of the things Romney has done.
But I still think he would have been a decent POTUS & it is really too bad he was such a wuss during the campaign.
I really do like ROn Paul, but his foreign policy is just NUTS, IMO & there are a few other things as well. But geebus he’d even be a damned sight better than what we have now.
Rand? I really like him. I think he is LOADS better than Bush, Romney, etc.
Palin isdone & to me tnhat’s a shame. But I think right now she’s just doing what is best for her family, money wise, which I cannot blame her for that.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

After this, I want to see Ted Cruz bring in a Cattle Prod to
use on Brennan….

ToddPA on March 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Every Republican needs to get up and say the democrats are full of shit….
If they don’t they can go join the democrats and then they will be full of shit.

redguy on March 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

When did he start filibustering? Too bad low information voters are not hearing this.

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Rush mentions HotAir often, most recently yesterday. He specifically mentioned Ed and also mentioned it was started by Michelle Malkin.

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Watch Rand on CSPAN2 if you can, it’s much better than the first hour of Rush, IMO.

FloatingRock on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Making a statement that way might be noble to some, but you still lose.
But that’s just me.
I do not want America to crash & burn right now.

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

With big government statist Republicans like Romney and McCain, we lose anyway. You’re not picking the lesser of 2 evils because the big government statist Republican loses anyway – he is not electable. Despite repeated contestations to the contrary.

And we lose things like ND Senate races because they don’t give the low information voters any reason to even show up at the polls. Heck, Romney’s coattails were so non-existent that the GOP lost at my local level which was truly shocking. I don’t know how your (or my) noble vote for the big government statist over the Marxist made any difference whatsoever.

As for throwing in the towel. I’d suggest that anyone who spends their time posting here is not ready to throw in the towel, despite having different strategies in how to achieve desired results.

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Senator Paul should be the next President, he is the only representative showing both courage and conviction. Thank you, Senator Paul!

Panther on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!

I am so impressed.

Amjean on March 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Brilliant!! It’s not everyday, one has the World Stage!!

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Jack_Burton on March 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
budfox on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

One doesn’t have to be a prog to detest Bush and Romney. And no, we had to sit through 4 years of Romney’s last WH campaign, and he and his people are still slamming Palin of all people. He can suck it.

alwaysfiredup on March 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

In the case of the phone taps and such against suspected foreign terrorists, you’re correct that the GOP supported it.

However, in the case of the TSA, the Republican base disliked it greatly but swallowed it in order to avoid undercutting Bush. The party base was willing to swallow quite a lot until the defeats in 2006 when it became clear Bush’s policies weren’t working and were hurting us.

It’s true that a real base revolt did not start until 2006 when the nascent Tea Party rose up against Harriet Miers and amnesty. Even then, though, until 2010, the base generally assumed the Republicans were stupid and misguided but not actively hostile to their interests. The reaction from the party – fear and hatred of the Tea Party insurgency – quickly put those notions of stupidity over malice to bed, though. The atmosphere we’re currently under has really only existed for about three years.

Doomberg on March 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM

FloatingRock on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I actually turned Rush off to listen to Rand. I love listening to talk radio on my iphone apps throughout the day, but rarely is something this entertaining on CSPAN of all places!!!!

Gosh, he is making so much sense. Again, watch the main stream media completely distort what Rand is saying and somehow make this a bad thing when they report it. Low information voters are so ignorant of the truth.

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Was there a point to this comment, or is it just time for the two minutes hate?

alwaysfiredup on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Lets make this (more) interesting:

The bet is over or under 8 hours?

I am taking over 8 hours.

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

He also mentioned QOTD.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

i watched part of this. Good stuff.

but, he says ‘non-combatant’..wasn’t the context of Holder’s statement that there were people imminently going to execute another 9//11?

And, constitution says it is Congress’ job

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

r keller on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

besser tot als rot on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I think Romney actually had negative coattails. Some of these races would probably have been one if Romney hadn’t depressed the base vote so much. What amazes me in retrospect is that no one, me included, saw it coming. It should have been so obvious when the 2012 primary turnout disintegrated.

Doomberg on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Can someone relieve him if say he needs to ‘go’?

I think he has to stay there talking…

Wasn’t that long ago I watched Mr Smith goes to Washington!

Paul is making history!

Most exciting TV in a long time!

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Rand bumped Hugo off Drudge. And rightfully so!

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

DR. PAUL GOES TO WASHINGTON!!

Awesome! You know Obama is soooooo jealous, LOL

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Resist We Much on March 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Those damned omnipowerful Joooooos!

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Or is he grandstanding & off limits now bcs he confirmed Hagel?

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

A little of both. He obviously engages in look-at-me grandstanding and is just as obviously ambitious, like Michele Bachmann was until she flamed out. But I think the hearts of both Paul and Bachmann are essentially in the right place. However, it’s delusional to think that Rand Paul is going to be the GOP nominee as the GOP now stands. Won’t happen. It will be Jeb, Rubio or Ryan. And the GOP will lose again.

ddrintn on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Mucho Props Mister Paul, Mucho mucho props.

WolvenOne on March 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

FWIW, I think you nailed it quite nicely.

Jackalope on March 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Hah, “if you hoard food you are a terrorist”.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Totally different audience. Scarby’s audience is predominantly progs who want to see him and his R guests denounce anything coming from the right. So when Ed goes on, or Scab uses HA as a reference, they locked on as a source that needed to be barraged.

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

love Paul but he has to be careful not to venture into Ronulan territory when talking about this stuff

commodore on March 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I actually turned Rush off to listen to Rand.

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM

ADD means being able to listen to both at once. :)

Fallon on March 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Doomberg on March 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Right but I remember at the time, (I was in high school) and my family all conservatives were telling me how we had to support Bush or the terrorists have won mentality of the GOP. And I saw it first hand. We swallowed Medicare Part D, and big spending, and federalize airport security.

So yes at the time, we were just like the LEFT is now, accept w/e in the name of supporting Bush.

Bush really F— us up with all his big government “compassionate conservative s.hit) why the GOP suffered the bloodbath it did in 2008. And why Obamacare is now law of the land.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Just called Senator Burr of NC and encouraged him to support Senator Paul…the gutless wonder will not. Surprise, surprise.

Panther on March 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

“The military doesn’t operate in the US”

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I turned him off too about 10 minutes after Rush started, LOL

I don’t know how the MSM can filter this. I wonder how many are watching this between TV/Online. He’s not just talking to talk, but giving History lessons and great reasoning. When is the last time the American People have heard anything other than sound bites? Too long:-)

Go Paul! I hope Cruz takes over when Paul gets tired.

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Maybe he has some Mr. Smith in him…
but would he have been up there doing a long talk about wiretaps under Bush/Cheney?
And did really love the Obama of yore he keeps recalling so much?
But as noted…a good show.
Maybe he’ll get to the phone book.

verbaluce on March 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Oh my how long will he speak?

If he does it right, he won’t quit until 0bama answers him…

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Supposedly…and I didn’t here this….Mark Levin has just brought up HotAir….and in not too nice of terms.

tencole on March 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Rand is redefining the Repub stance on War and Defense.

This is going to be a nightmare for McCain/Lindsay and by association, Rubio.

Consider this – nothing he’s said can Maher or Stewart object to without contradicting their staked out positions.

Really amazing. I think Rand and Cruz are working together and trying to isolate the remaining “neocons”.

budfox on March 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

No trolls

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Rand Paul, again rather adroitly, playing the lynching card.

Well done, sir…

JohnGalt23 on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Go Paul!

give him the Bible, he can start reading that!

cmsinaz on March 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I think he should start reading the US Consitution – you know,
the document the Obama thug regime tramples on.

Amjean on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM

So do I!

Someone will need to… :-)

What a combo Paul and Cruz!

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Rand Paul is totally right about this issue and most people will agree with him when informed. Republicans who don’t support him on this issue, if it’s because they’re afraid of political consequences, I don’t think there is any risk and they should support Rand Paul’s position on this. If they won’t, they should be primaried because if they think it’s OK for the government to Assassinate Americans without due process they are not worthy of power.

FloatingRock on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Hah, I missed verbaluce.

Yes, he did nail Bush already.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Rand bumped Hugo off Drudge. And rightfully so!
can_con on March 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM
DR. PAUL GOES TO WASHINGTON!!
Awesome! You know Obama is soooooo jealous, LOL
bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Jealous of Hugo’s adoring masses you mean right? ;)

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan are crapping their pants about now.

portlandon on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Can someone relieve him if say he needs to ‘go’?

I think he has to stay there talking…

Wasn’t that long ago I watched Mr Smith goes to Washington!

Paul is making history!

Most exciting TV in a long time!

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I don’t know, I asked earlier. (not getting any “work” done today:-)

Paul may indeed be making History. I can’t recall seeing a filibuster ever. Just clips etc.

You know Reid & McConnell are fit to be tied, ROFL

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Go Rand Go!

gophergirl on March 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Jealous of Hugo’s adoring masses you mean right? ;)

can_con on March 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That too, LOL I think he’s conflicted tho.

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Talking about imminence and feasability…

Checks and Balances…

Standards…

Getting technical now about Signature Strikes…

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Badger40 on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I am not suggesting your motives are NOT sincere or you are a RINO. I am going off your first statement when you said why you supported Romney. There is no way of me knowing what is truly in your heart, I was going off what you wrote. Obviously you should understand that. Of course I agree with you on some points but my argument that Bush was a disaster you seem to concede that point to me as well. Yes we really dodged a bullet with that nutjob Gore.

But Bush did a lot of damage to the GOP with his “compassionate conservatism” sh.it. We need to remove Bush doctrine from the GOP forever. No more Bush no more compassionate conservatism.

And yes I would support Rand Paul, if I was CONVINCED he did not share his father’s kooky views.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I so hope they are blue!! ;-)

Scrumpy on March 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan are crapping their pants about now.

portlandon on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

bluefox on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

You have to stay standing and talking. If Rand has a cohort he can pass the floor to them while he sleeps, eats, goes to the bathroom or whatever he has to do. If Rand is on his own then it goes until he sits down, shuts up or leaves. The record longest one in history is held by Strom Thurmond who talked for 27 hours straight. I would love to see that record fall.

alchemist19 on March 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM