Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on March 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

Senate Republicans involved in touchy negotiations to overhaul immigration laws reaffirmed their commitment Tuesday to establishing a path to citizenship for those now living in the United States illegally — despite a surprising defection on the key issue from former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush…

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a member of the group, said he was “surprised” by Bush’s proposal, particularly since it comes from a governor who had long been out front on the need for an immigration overhaul and is well-liked in the Hispanic community…

“From a policy point of view, I don’t think it’s the right approach. I don’t like the idea of having millions of people here for their entire life without being able to assimilate into America,” he said. “From a political point of view, we’ve got 55 Democrats sent and a 72 percent support for a path to citizenship. It’s just not practical to think we’ll be able to pass any bill in the United States Senate without a path to citizenship.”

***

Bush’s new position is also substantially to the right of that of Sen. Marco Rubio and the so-called Gang of Eight. Their proposal, still in outline form, would “create a tough but fair path to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants currently living in the United States..” Under the Bush proposal, there would be no path for those who came here illegally as adults.

It is not clear how Bush’s new plan will play politically. Opponents of the Gang of Eight proposal particularly object to its “immediate legalization” measure, which would, on its first day in effect, legalize all illegal immigrants who have not committed serious crimes. The Bush proposal also has a legalization provision, although it would require illegal immigrants to first plead guilty to the crime of entering the United States illegally. But the path to citizenship is thought to be an absolute essential for Democrats supporting the Gang of Eight plan. Their ultimate hope in immigration reform is to create millions of new Democratic voters out of those who are currently in the country illegally. That wouldn’t happen under Bush’s plan.

Beyond the details of competing plans, Bush’s new proposal could have an effect on his relationship with Rubio. The Florida Republican senator is showing signs of getting ready for a 2016 presidential run, and Bush, in interviews for the new book, is declining to rule out running himself. That means the two friends and political allies could be on a collision course. Many Republican insiders have thought it impossible that both men would run in ’16, but it’s not clear what might happen.

***

That Rubio now must convince Bush to swing left on immigration represents an ironic role reversal for the two Florida politicians. Just a few months ago, it was Rubio who publicly opposed a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants and Bush who explicitly favored the idea.

“I thought about that issue a lot and [went] back and forth on it before I signed on to my principles and I just concluded that it’s not good for the country in the long term to have millions and millions of people who are forever prohibited from becoming citizens,” Rubio told reporters on his way to a Senate vote. “That hasn’t worked out well for Europe.”

***

The stunning reversal by one of the Republican Party’s leading champions of immigration reform and Hispanic outreach, at least in part, comes down to a colossal political miscalculation.

When Bush and co-author Clint Bolick were writing the book during the 2012 presidential campaign, the GOP was veering far to the right. Republican nominee Mitt Romney had staked out a hardline position against illegal immigration, blasting his primary rivals as pro-amnesty and promoting “self-deportation” for undocumented workers. Bush sent the book to the printer before Christmas – weeks before a handful of Senate Republicans embraced a sweeping overhaul that, like the proposals backed by Bush’s brother, former President George W. Bush, would allow illegal immigrants to earn citizenship.

In other words, Bush’s party unexpectedly moved a lot faster than the book publishing world…

“He sent the book to the printer at a time when he was anticipating the direction of the debate tilting against citizenship. It is clearly contrary to what he has said before,” said Marshall Fitz, director of immigration policy at the liberal Center for American Progress. “In hindsight, Americans have always judged severely efforts to deny citizenship to classes of people. Is this really the GOP’s path out of the political wilderness?”

***

Bush’s aside about the beliefs of “mainstream” conservative movement gestures toward what Frank Sharry, executive director of the America’s Voice Education Fund, claims is the primary reason for the governor’s new position.

“It was aimed at paving the way for a run for president,” Sharry said. “He decides to shoot out what he thought would be the middle of the debate, and a somewhat progressive position.”…

“It just seems to me that Jeb Bush is rusty,” said Sharry. “He is going to be an outspoken proponent [of a path to citizenship] again by the end of the week.”

***

The point of this supposedly less generous form of amnesty, which has been floated by others as well, is to con Republican skeptics into backing an amnesty bill by creating the pretense of compromise. Such an approach would permit GOP House members to say they were sticking it to Obama by voting for something he supposedly opposes.

There’s no compromise involved, of course, because the point of the amnesty push is to give illegal aliens legal status so they can stay here legally the rest of their lives — the nature of that status is just a detail. But the strategy had, and still has, promise. Time swallowed the fairy tale that the proposal isn’t amnesty, and acknowledged that Bush’s goal in floating the proposal is to “soften the ground for the Party to move to the center on the issue” — i.e., vote for amnesty. Likewise, the New York Times comically described it as a “middle-ground option”.

But then today Jeb blows it by recanting his position in his brand new book, saying “we wrote this last year.” In other words, “Last year I thought I had to pretend to support a less generous form of amnesty to dupe my fellow Republicans, but now that the Democrats, my allies on immigration, are in a stronger political position, I can stop pretending.”

And people are talking about him for 2016? Give me a break.

***

If Jeb Bush decides to convert his media tour into a presidential bid in a couple years, he won’t have to look far for a campaign staff: The well-funded education foundation he runs out his office in a Miami hotel is stacked with former political operatives, a large communications team, and a rapidly growing staff whose work stretches into 40 states…

“The chatter is he’s up to something,” said Florida Democratic operative Christian Ulvert. “He has a robust staff and has positioned himself on policy issues. You can safely say his eyes are focused on some form of higher office.”…

Another Republican, who has worked with Bush for years and requested anonymity to speculate about his plans, said that he is more serious about running than national pundits have acknowledged.

***

For some Republicans, Mr. Bush would be the prohibitive favorite if he chose to run for president in four years. And with a political and financial base in Florida, Mr. Bush would probably make it hard — if not impossible — for Mr. Rubio to run at the same time. (Both men heap praise on each other, suggesting that they would not run at the same time.)

But if Mr. Bush were to run and win the Republican nomination, it is possible he could face Hillary Rodham Clinton as the Democratic nominee. That would set up a second Bush-Clinton race 21 years after his father lost his re-election bid to Bill Clinton.

“We’re going to face a very formidable opponent on the other side if it’s Secretary Clinton,” said John Weaver, a Republican consultant who supports moderate candidates. “We have to put our ‘A team’ out there, and that begins with Jeb Bush.”

***

Via the Daily Caller.

***

“I have supported both – both a path to legalization or a path to citizenship – with the underlining principle being that there should be no incentive for people to come illegally at the expense of coming legally,” he said. “Today the only path to come to this country other, than family re-unification, is to come illegally. We need to create another category of legal immigration where there is actually a line. So if you could create that through a path to citizenship I would support that.”

“I’ve always felt that you could not deal with 11 million people and say, ‘See you later,’” he said later.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

SWalker on March 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Night Walker CA ranger.

arnold ziffel on March 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Hi Grace. Up late watching Justified and thought I would drop in. Tunes and politics. I might have another beer.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Got another one Gracie. Always liked this.

arnold ziffel on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Thank you, arnold. I don’t recall every hearing that song, so I’m glad you played it! :)

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Goodnight, SW! Pleasant dreams to you.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM

My crystal ball says Reid will have a budget in the near future..:)

PS..Disclaimer Warning:..I also predicted that Benghazi was going to cause Obie and Hillary problems and we see how that went..:(

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Is there room for a NIMBY RINO TrueCon NeoPaleo socfiscon?

tom daschle concerned on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM

My Brute Force Electron Microscope has yet to find either their spine or a pair of gonads.

chemman on March 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

LOL

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I might have another beer.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I love it when a plan comes together..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Sounds like a plan! Why don’t you spin us a tune on you way to the fridge?

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM

arnold ziffel on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Cool tune..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Is there room for a NIMBY RINO TrueCon NeoPaleo socfiscon?

tom daschle concerned on March 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM

ROFL. Well, let me just check “Our Official List.”

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

She’s real fine my B9.

Hi Grace. What’s shakin?

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Heh. was lurking and witnessed the bizarre episode earlier. Fortunately work was keeping me busy, and out of trouble.

tom daschle concerned on March 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I love it when a plan comes together..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Any objections? Nay

The beer proposal is final and seconded.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM

chemman on March 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

The positive gonad met the negative gonad and they both disappeared in a puff of gonad smoke.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I can lurk and post at the same time.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Hi Grace. What’s shakin?

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Chris Christie’s floor. Nah, that was rude. I actually had a pretty good day, Sparky. How about you?

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM

You folks are inspiring me. Poured a shot of bourbon for good measure.

Any other Justified fans about?

Long Hard Times To Come

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I can lurk and post at the same time.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Dang, you’re one of a kind. I must have tried to do that a hundred times. Can’t pull it off.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Sorry Charlie,

Do you want tuna that tastes good or tuna that has good taste?

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM

LOLZ. Christie. Good One.

I’m saddened by the loss of Hugo. I was hoping to taser him before he bought the farm. So I’m sad he is gone before I got to do that.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Any other Justified fans about?

Long Hard Times To Come

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I’ve never seen it, but I like the song & that pic is cool.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Mad in China: A Brilliant Way To A BMW 523i On The Cheap

Resist We Much on March 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Too funny. A nice little weekend project.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Great post but your brain did all the work while you took all the credit.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Grace, I highly recommend Justified. An Elmore Leonard creation, with the usual sharp dialogue and great characters. Well acted, too.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Just do the next best thing & taser Sean Penn, or Michael Moore (OK, that would take an extra charge), or Susan Sarandon…The possibilities are endless. :)

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Resist We Much should change her name to

Miss me much
Munch we must
Insist We munch

Just a suggestion. I like her a lot whatever her name is. I can’t resist her much.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM

By the way, Grace, the pic is Tim Oliphant, the lead character, a quick-on-the-draw federal marshal who runs afoul of a powerful drug lord in Miami. Sent home to Harlan co., Kentucky, where the crime situation is just as bad.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM

More from the Justified soundtrack:

Dream My Darling by Lynda Kay

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:40 AM

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Oh, I didn’t recognize Oliphant! No wonder I liked the pic. :)

It sounds very interesting.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM

The iPed is a new kind of mobile shoe only thinner.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM

You folks are inspiring me. Poured a shot of bourbon for good measure.

Any other Justified fans about?

Long Hard Times To Come

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Since the first season – liked Oliphant in ‘Deadwood’, like him better in ‘Justified’.

I was hunching on Shelby last week when he was asking sbout Drew’s widow.

They’ve let Raylan get back to shooting the bad guys – well the REALLY bad guys.

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Just for the cool pics.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

The iPot is a new kind of kitchen appliance with a touch screen.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Too funny. A nice little weekend project.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM

And, BMW can’t do shit about it either. China is notorious for trademark/copyright infringement and outright theft. I’ve represented clients that did biz there and had them “make us offers we couldn’t refuse.”

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM

:-)

Did you see this:

Breaking News! First Photo Of Hugo Chavez’s Dead Body Released!

:p

Resist We Much on March 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM

The iPan cooks bacon wirelessly

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM

It sounds very interesting.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM

FYI, for my money, Oliphant is the best ‘cowboy’ since Wayne and Cooper. He falls somewhere in the middle of the emotional spectrum between the two of them.

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Resist We Much on March 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Obamacare toe tag. Lol.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Resist We Much on March 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Lol! You are one witty lady, RWM.

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Raylan could be stealin’ my hats. You could put any of my wide brims on Raylan and he would look just like Raylan.

He didn’t shoot anybody this week. The last two weeks he had two fools set him up, the gangsta rappa fool and the Detroit hit man who didn’t know who he was and made the mistake of telling him he was going to shoot him.

Both really bad guys.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:54 AM

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I only saw a couple of episodes of Deadwood. But his acting was definitely superb in those episodes. (and he’s fine looking-haha).
So, what about the rest of the cast? Talented?

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:55 AM

The iPet is a new kind of robot dog that eats electric dog biscuits.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Obamacare toe tag. Lol.

SparkPlug on March 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM

It’s his voter registration card. lol

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Thx. ;-)

Resist We Much on March 6, 2013 at 2:59 AM

So, what about the rest of the cast? Talented?

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Excellent. Superb. Joelle Carter and Wayne Goggins, Nick Searcy and this season Patton Oswalt as the semi-hapless local constable.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM

OK, you’ve convinced me. I’m going to look it up. Sounds great.

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Both really bad guys.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Damn, I am envious of your hat collection, in that case.

My head is too big for 99.9999% of hats (circumference is 24.5″ – no idea what that translates to in hat size) but I do have a Geissele baseball hat that fits pretty well.

I particularly enjoyed the shootout with the Detroit guy – it may have been the most accurate portrayl of a close quarters, civilian gunfight I’ve ever seen – especially Boyd and Ava’s delayed reactions.

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM

*yawn* My bed is calling to me. :)

Goodnight, night crew. Sleep well & have a blessed tomorrow!

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Check you FX listings. New episodes on Tuesdays, but they usually repeat sometime over the weekend. The prior seasons are out on DVD, so I presume on Netflix, etc.

And now for some more jams:

HooDoo Man

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Deadwood rocks..Very good..:)

PS..Not Safe for Young Children..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Enoyed it as always..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Goodnight, night crew. Sleep well & have a blessed tomorrow!

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM

novaculus summed it up regarding the cast.

Good night, good lady. Here is a link to the show’s website for your perusal.

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM

PolAgnostic on March 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Yeah, I thought that one was pretty realistic. When the Detroit hit man told Raylan if he didn’t move, he was going to shoot him, he thought he was intimidating a local rube. He was just convincing a seriously dangerous man that things weren’t right.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM

G’night Grace. Sweet dreams.

novaculus on March 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Jeb is trying out his jedi mind meld powers.

With all of the honesty of a Superstorm Sandy waterfront car reseller.

profitsbeard on March 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM

One of the former DEA administrators, Peter Bensinger, told the AP that the more time goes by, the harder it’ll be to stop the two states. Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

Bensinger, who lives in the Chicago area, said not acting forthrightly to sue the states might create “a domino effect” in which other states follow suit.

I’d like to take a moment to tell this Chicago fascist, Peter Bensinger, and the other eight fascist pieces of shinola, to stick their heads up their assez! I am a Washington State native and I absolutely HATE Chicago fascists, and fascists in other states telling my state what we can and cant do. Mind your own business!

FloatingRock on March 6, 2013 at 3:28 AM

If Chicago wants war with Washington State, which is still a strong 2nd amendment supporting state, bring it on! Chicago may outnumber us but we’ll beat them to a pulp! ; )

FloatingRock on March 6, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Greg Grandin, writing for Katrina vanden Heuvel’s The Nation:

the biggest problem Venezuela faced during his rule was not that Chávez was authoritarian but that he wasn’t authoritarian enough.

steebo77 on March 6, 2013 at 3:42 AM

From Diana West -

Fox News reports that following Senate fury (when?) over a heavily redacted set of White House documents pertaining to the 9/11/12 attack on the US compound in Benghazi, a second set of documents “were delivered to Capitol Hill Thursday night which had only minimal redactions.”

… Senators have asked to see the documents as a part of their inquiry into the attack on Benghazi. Senators also wanted the documents before they were willing to vote on John Brennan to be Director of Central Intelligence.

A committee vote on Brennan’s nomination is set for Tuesday.

The documents reveal various email traffic about the “talking points” which were passed through a litany of Washington power centers: The White House, the FBI, the CIA, and the Justice Department. The source questions why it took the Obama administration months to deliver the information when all of these agencies had dealt with the email traffic.

Sources said the emails revealed heavy editing by then-CIA Director David Petraeus. The talking points evolved as they were passed around various intelligence and security hubs, and scrubbed of language referring to “al Qa’ida.” They also seemed to indicate an effort to paint the Sept. 11 attack as a demonstration and not a planned attack, the source said.

“The word ‘attacks’ was changed to ‘demonstration,’” the source said.

Will Petraeus be called back to answer for his cover-up and lies to Congress — serious criminal offenses?

VorDaj on March 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM

good morning HA

yup, the lsm is praising chavez big time this am….treating him like royalty…just love saying over and over again that chavez called bush the devil

blech

cmsinaz on March 6, 2013 at 5:35 AM

graham praising obama for talking to congress…he talked to them for a whole 10 minutes….yeah, great leadership…

cmsinaz on March 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM

no jebbie please people

cmsinaz on March 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM

morning joe trashing jebbie for his backtracking…

cmsinaz on March 6, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Mornin’, y’all Let’s get out the Bushes. Speaking of leadership, here os the difference between being a leader and a spoiled child: “Sequestration: Palin and the Petulant President”. My take.

kingsjester on March 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

VorDaj on March 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM

nope. The putsch occurred. we are not a nation of laws.

tom daschle concerned on March 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM

You poor pathetic ignorant imbecile, whomever controls the house, decides what the President supports. They do so because as per the United States Constitution (you do know what that is, right?) all spending must originate in the House. That means quiet literally, not one single penny can be spent by the United States Government unless the House approves it. That includes the pay checks of every single elected official right up to and including the POTUS.

Ask Bill Clinton why he veered to the right in his second term… Ya, that’s right, because Newt held his damned pay check until he compromised with Newt.

SWalker on March 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Billy Jeff went right in 1995/ 1996 in order to be re-elected. That is when welfare reform, etc. was passed. The 1997 balanced budget was also passed in 1996 (see.. a year earlier.) Barry decided not to cave, demagogued his opponents, and got re-elected anyway. He doesn’t care what he gets done policywise. He is a street thug and would like his legacy to be the utter destruction of the Republican Party. The only way the Rs survive this is by being prudent as Ryan put it and picking their battles. They held on the sequester and allowed Barry to demagogue. They ended up being able to win the sequester because even the MSM thought that Barry’s dire warnings were over the top.

The fact that there are people here who are either that political tone deaf that they don’t understand how the Rs are being portrayed in the media. I personally think that since everyone at your church in rural Texas agrees with you, you take that to mean that there is this huge silent majority that agrees with you.

Illinidiva on March 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM

4Grace on March 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I answered both of your questions okay??? And it seems to me that this place has become a far right echo chamber since the election, so it doesn’t surprise me about the name calling… Everyone agrees with you.

Mitt owned up last Sunday “it is my fault, my team’s – I take responsibility”. That team was full of fools.

It isn’t Mitt’s fault he lost in the end despite the fact that he could have run a better campaign. It is Chris Christie’s fault for publicly stabbing him in the back the week before the election. Even if Mitt had run a perfect campaign, he would have been tanked by that betrayal. Christie did that on purpose. This is the main reason why I will never vote for him.

Of course, Romney is both way too nice for his own good. (He gave Christie reelection money.) He also cannot state the obvious because he would be considered a “whiner” and a “sore loser.” It is up to us to remind people about Christie’s betrayal.

Illinidiva on March 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

kingsjester on March 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

thanks. great read. i hope starting from cpac, she stops leading from behind.

renalin on March 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM

kingsjester on March 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

So, the irony of an ex-governor who walked away from her office as soon as it became clear that she could less work and make a lot more money as spokesmodel for the wingnut caucus is as lost on you as it is on Palin — who has repeatedly distinguished herself as a whiny, narcissistic “spoiled child” over the course of her brief and, mercifully, fading career.

Back to the topic at hand, it almost seems that Bush Deragement Syndrome has infected the right. How else to explaing the rage and endless coverage of minor haffe by an ex-governor with absolutely no power to influence the current debate and very little chance of winning the Republican nomination? You defend Bush to the death, despite his being the worst President since Hoover, because progressives loath him, but as soon as you get a chance to savage someone with the same last name, you taek it with a vengeance.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, mind you, but who dies anyone care?

urban elitist on March 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

urban elitist on March 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Scares the Hell out of you, doesn’t she?

kingsjester on March 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Scares the Hell out of you, doesn’t she?

kingsjester on March 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Palin? Why would she scare anyone? She spent three years systematically undermining her own credibility and has now faded into affluent irrelevance.

urban elitist on March 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Back to immigration.

Has anyone asked these illegals if they WANT to be US citizens?

If they have to pay a fine, accept a paycheck instead
of cash and pay taxes, give up their welfare, their showing
up to hospital emergency rooms for the flu, etc. and not pay the
bill, what is in it for them?

I admit there are families who have worked hard to learn english
and have a decent job who are probably VERY interested in becoming
citizens because it would take the fear of being sent back to
Mexico(or wherever) off the table.

However, does anyone know how the numbers break down between the
two groups?

Also, if they get citizenship does this mean they will speak english at children’s soccer games?

Amjean on March 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

So the big line-up for 2016 is Christie and Bush?

Stick a fork in the R party, it is done.

That isn’t twitching you are seeing, but decay as it implodes.

Time to do something else as the Elite in both parties are just in it for more power to the State and dissolution of society by mandate and government fiat.

ajacksonian on March 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

but who dies anyone care?

urban elitist on March 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

DEATH PANELS. fruedian slip eh dude?

renalin on March 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Thank you for sharing with us your intensive knowledge of the inner workings of the Republican primary process, especially considering you’ve never voted in one in your entire life. Will you be walking us through the Conclave as well?

Those of us who have followed Republican politics and voted in Republican primaries unfortunately think that Jeb Bush has a real chance of winning the nomination and then getting blown out in a general election. The Bushes’ MO is crowding out the resources and support so that other candidates cannot get into the race. This is what happened in 2000 (although there isn’t the bench like in 2016.) This concerns us because it means that people who actually represent the future of the Republican Party (cough.. Rubio.. cough) might get shut out. There is also a greater chance of the Earth getting hit by an asteroid than Jeb Bush winning a Presidential election.

Frankly, my main fear is that lots of people considering running now might be pressured to reconsider with offers that they cannot refuse and that the primary field consists of Jeb Bush, egotists like Chris Christie, and ideological candidates like Rand Paul. Of those, the only one who is semi acceptable Rand Paul and he cannot win a general election. I personally won’t vote for either Chris Christie because of his endorsement of Obama and Jeb Bush because of the reasons outlined above. So the Rs lose and if they cannot win in 2016, the Rs probably don’t win the Presidency again in my lifetime.

Illinidiva on March 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Well, now, that is true. Snerdley is making the point that people are hearing incomplete versions of the Limbaugh Theorem and maybe are not fully understanding. Last night somebody e-mailed. Hot Air, the website that we quote here a lot, Ed Morrissey and his gang and Michelle Malkin started that. They’ve got a thing every night called Quotes of the Day. And last night somebody sent it to me, and last night’s Quotes of the Day was everybody that was quoted explaining the Limbaugh Theorem. But you’re right, Snerdley, they all missed an element here or an element there.

Bmore on March 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Just read thru what I missed after I left :-)

Y’all are some very special good hearted folks especially YOU!
Jackie Ken Fred Bmore Dire Schad Sparky Rusty Marsh RWM Arnie KA2 EG Cozmo ALT SW AZ Axe Canopfor Can-con 22044 Predator 4Grace Fallon Bluefox INC L2G Bazil9!

Super Huge {HUGS}!!