Newest CPAC speaker: Donald Trump

posted at 7:22 pm on March 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

The conservatives I follow on Twitter, none more so than the boss emeritus, are tearing him and CPAC apart for this. (See Twitchy for a round-up.) But there’s an obvious explanation for why he’s invited, isn’t there?

The American Conservative Union (ACU) today announced Donald Trump will address CPAC 2013, the 40th annual Conservative Political Action Conference. America’s largest gathering of conservative leaders and activists to be held Thursday, March 14 – Saturday, March 16, 2013.

“Donald Trump is an American patriot and success story with a massive following among small government conservatives,” said ACU Chairman Al Cardenas. “I look forward to welcoming him back to the CPAC stage next week. Mr. Trump’s previous CPAC appearance was hugely popular among our attendees and we expect it will be even more popular this year.”

Philip Klein, who’s been begging CPAC to invite conservative health-care experts in order to jumpstart a serious GOP alternative to ObamaCare, wonders why they’ve resorted to “a clown show” instead:

It’s one thing to argue that there’s a strict philosophical litmus test for being invited to CPAC. Whatever one says, at least that would be a consistent position. But it’s hard to square that with the latest news that Donald Trump has been invited to speak at the gathering. For the last several years he’s emerged as one of the most prominent conspiracy theorists questioning the legitimacy of President Obama’s birth certificate and for decades, has been more concerned with creating publicity for himself and his various ventures than advancing any kind of conservative values…

What accounts for his conservative “all-star” status? How would one account for his following among small government conservatives? Is it his history of eminent domain abuse? Is it his past support for a Canadian-style socialized health care system?

The Club for Growth unloaded on him as a protectionist, tax-supporting liberal in disguise back in early 2011 when Trump first flirted with running for president. A WaPo analysis from around the same time found that 54 percent of his political donations had gone to Democrats. He used to be pro-choice and once supported big-government health care — although so did our last nominee, and not only was he momentarily a hero of the party last October, he’s invited to address CPAC this year too. (Fun irony: GOProud, which joins Chris Christie and Bob McDonnell in the persona non grata column in 2013, was responsible for inviting Trump to CPAC in 2011.) So why make an exception for the Donald, apart from the fact that he’s good copy and can deliver a crowd-pleasing red-meat Obama-bashing stemwinder perfectly well whether he believes what he’s saying or not? My guess is it’s because he’s been pounding on Karl Rove lately, a feud that dates since at least 2011 when Rove criticized him for pushing Birtherism incessantly. The fact that Rove’s building the Conservative Victory Project to try to torpedo supposedly unelectable conservative candidates in primaries has made him a sworn enemy of the grassroots, and if there’s one thing Trump’s good at politically, it’s knowing how to build conservative credibility through his choice of enemies. He got to 20 percent in the polls in early 2011 by confronting Obama relentlessly, including on his place of origin, and he’ll be a smash at CPAC if he uses his speech to rip Rove to pieces. I’m actually kind of surprised that he hasn’t gone after Chris Christie yet, as he’s arguably even a bigger villain among conservatives at the moment than Rove is. Maybe he’s reluctant to alienate a guy with a lot of sway in a region where he has business interests? We’ll see. If anyone’s next, it’s Christie.

Comments

CPAC< you're fired.

can_con on March 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Please please let him say, “You’re Fired

Scrumpy on March 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

CPAC’s a joke.

changer1701 on March 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Scrumpy on March 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Sorry Scrumpy, missed it by that much!

can_con on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Clown show?

portlandon on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

So no Chris Christie or GOProud but Donald Trump yes? Dumb.

terryannonline on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

They invited Romney, so why not Trump?

sharrukin on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Good grief.

forest on March 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Good! at least trump is not afraid to bash the Lyin kING like the weeping RINOs, had he been our POTUS pick it would have been the same playbbok from the Lyin kING but there would have been some of the Liars blood in the ring at least!

ConcealedKerry on March 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Trump made some sense last year (he spoke last year, too) when he was a possible candidate. But, this year? I agree. Hard to square. If Trump, why not Christie, why not GoProud, why not Pam Geller, why not McDonnell? I mean, what ARE the standards? WHo is properly in and who is properly out?

Warner Todd Huston on March 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

They invited Romney, so why not Trump?

I kind of like Trump. Pompous yes, but fun… At least he tells it like it is…

sandee on March 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Shan’t be watching…

All they’ll do is shovel more incredulities…

speaK louD and act like frackinG micE.

Scrumpy on March 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

The wheels are coming off the tracks at C-PAC. All aboard?

Bmore on March 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

can_con on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Lol!! Wot me Worry?

Scrumpy on March 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

CPAC

C – Clowns
P – Pushing
A – Allah
C – Conform

redguy on March 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Bmore on March 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Good pick! :-)

Scrumpy on March 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Sad to say but gotta say it : Farce.

thebrokenrattle on March 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

The establishment’s really ticked that GOProud and Christie won’t be there. I love it.

If CPAC wants to rescind Trump and Romney’s invitations too, that’s great. But I’ll settle for removing GOProud and Christie.

Stoic Patriot on March 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I kind of like Trump. Pompous yes, but fun… At least he tells it like it is…

sandee on March 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

That’s my take as well. He’s entertaining and no less conservative than the GOP candidate.

sharrukin on March 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

We really need a REAL conservative group not based in DC that will take on ObamaCare and the spending that fuels the radical progressive agenda.

ObamaCare is the straw that will break America.

redguy on March 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

CPAC is a joke.

El_Terrible on March 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I heard they were going to have a Reagan Hologram.

portlandon on March 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

…W h a t
i s
h e
s m o k i n g ?
…will they be passing it out at CPAC?

KOOLAID2 on March 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

ObamaCare is the straw that will break America.

redguy on March 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The Dems think we will have a balanced budget by 2018.

A liberal friend said that to me on Saturday night and I answered we would be lucky to have a Democrat controlled Senate pass a budget by then.

they were strangely quiet after that.

IlikedAUH2O on March 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

CPAC is losing its credibility as a forum for conservatism. How sad!

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

At least Trump has a spine.

VorDaj on March 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Listening to Ed and Andrew Malcolm on TEMS earlier, I thought Malcolm hit on a reasonable explanation for this CPAC insanity. He suggested ticket sales might have been down following a disappointing election leaving CPAC desperate to drum up speakers that might draw a crowd. Not that I would base my decision to go anywhere based on Donald Trump but he has a big television audience and they claim he drew a crowd last year.

msmveritas on March 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM

CJOKE

BJ* on March 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Hawaiian newspaper: Obama Lifestyle Criticized as ‘Royal’: Author Documents, $1.4 Billion Annually for Obama and his family vs. only $58 Million for the royal family a yr by Brits., as Obama builds a 40 million dollar vacation home on the island. How does someone making 400k a year afford a 40 million dollar vacation home. Makes you wonder where does the $500,000 it cost for a donor to pay to be able to meet Obama goes? .

VorDaj on March 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

It’s their club, they can invite who they want.

Curtiss on March 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Has there been a leadership change at Cpac?

bluealice on March 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Stupid.

peski on March 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

What a joke… both Trump and CPAC.

Hill60 on March 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It’s their club, they can invite who they want.

Curtiss on March 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Yep. And be stupid.

peski on March 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I would much rather hear Trump speak his own mind, than listen to Rubio read a script written for him by obama’s ‘amnesty team’. Trump is certainly no conservative, but at least he thinks for himself.

It’s hard to predict what Trump will talk about, but, we all know that Rubio’s entire speech will be a slobbering defense of illegals and a continuation of his ridiculous push of obama’s ‘instant amnesty’ plan.

Pork-Chop on March 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

It’s their club, they can invite who they want.

Curtiss on March 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Yep. And be stupid.

peski on March 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

This is America!

Curtiss on March 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Chris Christie is now laughing his ample arse off. So is Schmoe Scarborough.
As someone amused by the anti Rove anti Incumbent frothing types around here I’m chuckling too. If you’re going with current reality show hosts (the only reason he’s there!) I would have chosen RuPaul.

Marcus on March 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I think Donald Trump is a paid operative of the democrat party. His only function is to make republicans and conservatives look like idiots. So far, he has been successful.

lonestar1 on March 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

It’s hard to predict what Trump will talk about

I would bet a Trump casino—CHINA.

hillsoftx on March 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Good Gweef!!!!!

Blaise on March 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

His only function is to make republicans and conservatives look like idiots.

lonestar1 on March 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Since when have they ever needed help with that? Jeb Bush is being considered for 2016, the amnesty push, John McCain, Romney, Boehner, Chris Christie, and Karl Rove. They don’t need Trump to look absurd.

sharrukin on March 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Not to defend him, but there’s a case to be made that Trump’s every bit as conservative as Mitt Romney.

steebo77 on March 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Screw these political shills and the flip top flip flopper.

kregg on March 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The bigger story is that Al Cardenas plans on using CPAC from beginning to end as a megaphone pushing for conservatives to support amnesty.

steebo77 on March 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

WTF?! I’m calling shenanigans. Who the hell turned CPAC into a full on false flag operation?

Look at the immigration panel:

“Lively discussion,” huh? Sounds interesting. Let’s see who the the panelists are:

Featured speakers who will introduce what their respective organizations are doing to promote the conservative movement and agenda include:

Dr. Whit Ayers, President, North Star Opinion Research

Dan Garza, Executive Director, The LIBRE Initiative

Helen Krieble, Founder and President, The Vernon K. Krieble Foundation

Jenny Korn, Executive Director, American Action Network

Moderator: Helen Aguirre Ferré, Host, “Zona Politica” on Univision Radio

In case you’re keeping score, that’s five supporters of “comprehensive immigration reform” and zero (0) skeptics.

CapnObvious on March 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I’m looking forward to both Palin and Cruz at CPAC..:)

idesign on March 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Who the hell turned CPAC into a full on false flag operation?

CapnObvious on March 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Um, Grover Norquist.

Fallon on March 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Like I said the other day, we can stop pretending CPAC has little if any anything to do with conservatism.

xblade on March 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

#CPACisdead…

d1carter on March 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

msmveritas on March 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Pamela Geller draws a big crowd at CPAC.

Ticket sales have nothing to do with these decisions, they’re not about fundraising. It has to do with jostling for GOP party direction and much of that is done by giving away tickets to college kids. The last 5 CPAC Straw Poll Winners

2008 Mitt Romney
2009 Mitt Romney
2010 Ron Paul
2011 Ron Paul
2012 Mitt Romney

sauldalinsky on March 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM

lonestar1 on March 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Smartest comment on this thread. Trump is a Democrat. Always has been, always will be. Trump is Hillary Clinton’s #1 supporter. Trump has given to millions to Dems…nothing wrong with that..rich ppl give $ to both parties. But his dedication to the Dem party isn’t secret…Republicans’ stupidity is becoming clearer with each day

Redford on March 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I’m looking forward to both Palin and Cruz at CPAC..:)

idesign on March 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Yup, and Mia Love.

Fallon on March 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM

lonestar1 on March 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

personally i think trump is an opportunist more than anything,

chasdal on March 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Nothing exudes credibility like Donald Trump…

Really wondering how big the check was…

Hey!! Let’s invite the P.T. Barnum of the 21st century to our little shindig…That’ll help give us some bonifides right???

BigWyo on March 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Ron Paul retired. They needed a new loon with a cult following.

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

CPAC is becoming a farce.

ButterflyDragon on March 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

In all fairness, Mort Downey Jr isn’t available…

verbaluce on March 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Is Cornelius Huntsman speaking?

can_con on March 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM

There is still going to be some good speakers, but Trump? I wouldn’t even want him as a friend.

Gatekeeper on March 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Trump refuses to rule out supporting Hillary in 2016. He says he really likes her and Bill. He is a Clinton supporter and always has been. The link is from last year. :)

squeek71 on March 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I agreed with dumping Chris Christie, but inviting Trump turns CPAC into a joke.

Why should we take CPAC seriously when they beclown themselves like this?

If I were attending, I’d cancel over this.

DRayRaven on March 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Looks like CPAC is having trouble selling tickets..So they have decided to bring on the “clown show”..:)

Dire Straits on March 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

No Pamela Gellar but yes to Donald Trump..yeah, CPAC is dead to me and will continue to be until Grover Norquist and Suhal Khan are in charge

sadsushi on March 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Clown show?

portlandon on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

CPAC is a flaming joke on a stick.

SparkPlug on March 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Great.
I wonder how many wingnut memes he’ll give the left to chew on.

Mimzey on March 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Ann Coulter should round this mess out just fine. Make it a northeast confab of mush.

DanMan on March 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

And now Robert Spencer won’t be going

I was surprised and honored that Jihad Watch was among the nominees for the People’s Choice Blog Award, sponsored by Right Wing News and TheTeaParty.net, to be awarded at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) 2013.

As you can see from the vote above, Jihad Watch won decisively, getting over 50% of the vote in a field of fifteen. And I received confirmation of the victory from one of the organizers of the CPAC blog awards when I asked him when voting officially ended:

But as time went by and no announcement was made of this victory, and the voting continued despite my having been told that it officially ended last Friday night and that I had won, and the promised links and other placement promised to the winning blog didn’t materialize, I started to wonder. So I contacted the organizer who had written me telling me I won and asked him what was going on.

He told me that there was a slight problem: the Tea Party group, which co-sponsored this People’s Choice Blog Award, didn’t want to allow me to receive it at CPAC next week unless I promised not to criticize Grover Norquist and Suhail Khan as I accepted the award.

I told the organizer that I couldn’t agree to that. He asked me if I had planned to talk about Grover and Suhail. I said no, I hadn’t, but I had to now.

So that’s that. The People’s Choice Blog Award is now the Grover’s Choice Blog Award. I will not be going to CPAC and will not be receiving this award.

And since I will not be allowed to receive this award at CPAC, I will talk about them here.

Seriously people, boycott all of CPAC

sadsushi on March 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Dire Straits on March 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

lolz.

SparkPlug on March 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

…Big Tent….?

KOOLAID2 on March 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

All you Trump haters need to recognize how low brow the general American public is, and that pop culture figures like Trump can be a useful weapon against a pop culture President like Obama. He lobs bombs at Obama, nasty ones, and it may raise Trump’s negatives but it also puts Obama on the defensive too because mud sticks. Learn to play the game or wallow in obscurity.

Sarah Palin is an effective voice precisely because she commands attention from pop culture, her and Trump have set Obama back on his heels more than any Conservative or Republican intellectual. Welcome to America.

Daemonocracy on March 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Redford on March 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Bingo. Trump’s role was never to help Republican’s per se, but to hurt Barack Obama. He’s been a Clinton operative from day one.

Birtherism originated with the Clinton campaign in the 2008 primary. The Clintons were as eager as the right to take out Obama in 2012, and sent out The Donald to lend a helping hand.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. That’s why The Donald has been invited to CPAC.

Mr. Arkadin on March 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

okay, so disinvited: chris christie.

invited: birther extraordinaire “real conservative” donald trump

I’d say cpac was going irrelevant but that already happened..

triple on March 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM