Reason TV: Nanny of the Month, or …

posted at 5:21 pm on March 4, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Reason TV’s Nanny of the Month actually came out last week, but as always, it’s worth a watch — and perhaps especially so in this case.  Washington DC’s local government grabs a dishonorable mention for its rather lengthy list of rejected vanity license plate requests, including RONPAUL, but their city doesn’t win the top slot.  Instead, that goes to Watertown, New York, which has banned … roommates.  Say what?

A Freedom of Information Act request from GovernmentAttic.org, has yielded a hilariously infuriating 68-page list of vanity plates banned by Washington, DC’s DMV. In the list you’ll find everything from sexual innuendos (including nearly 2000 variations of the number “69″) to calls for “LSSGOVT” and, of course, countless references to marijuana, from the obvious (POTHEAD) to the clever (POTOMAC).

But this time the Nanny of the Month comes to us from Watertown, New York, where the city council has banned roommates from residential neighborhoods (which would include everyone from unmarried couples to domestic partners and soldiers sharing a home).

Seems that a local woman named Deborah Cavallario wasn’t keen on her neighbor living with his fiance and two friends, so she persuaded three out of five council members to zone away unrelated roommates. (She insists it wasn’t a “dirtbag” move.)

Stick around to the end to see just how hypocritical this demand actually was.  Here’s a hint: if the NIMBYites had their way 30 years ago, Cavallario wouldn’t have had the standing to make this demand now.  Shame on Watertown for attempting to regulate households in such a manner, especially on the basis of this complaint.

Comments

Struck down via email to a judge.

Apparently this little enclave doesn’t have any illegal aliens running around.

Conservative town in PA bans illegal aliens in town = bad

Uppity village in NE bans roomies = Hail!

I wonder….are there any college dorms close by?

BobMbx on March 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I don’t like it when people shack-up either-but it’s not for a MUNICIPALITY to legislate.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

These a$$hats could care less about what Obama is doing to
destroy this country.

They do care and whine about being apparently mistreated by the
Obama White House thugs.

Do your jobs! I have no sympathy for any of you as you have
aided and abetted this country’s ruin.

Amjean on March 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I’d move the Council to ban nosy, bitter, old bags from living inside of the town limits.

Seriously. I’d look into the requirments for getting a matter in front of the Council, and proceed … chop chop.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Ha! Can’t live with his fiance either, I guess, they’re not related. I thought lefties hated it when people stuck their nose in the private bedroom.

Fenris on March 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Okay, I can’t watch at work, so…did her parents shack up or something?

Bob's Kid on March 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Okay, I can’t watch at work, so…did her parents shack up or something?

Bob’s Kid on March 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The woman who initiated the zoning change moved in with roommate…30 years ago….in that town.

BobMbx on March 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I bet liberals have already decided this busybody could only be a fanatical right-wing Christian who secretly hates gays, and who goose steps in her basement after midnight.

I second the motion for people in Watertown to get a ban on nosy fuddy-duddy neighbors.

Liam on March 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

filtered video so haven’t seen it…
We don’t have zoning in Houston but neighborhoods have deed restrictions and one of the top ones is “single family residence”. And yes, we do enforce it. Keeps from having frat houses pop up next door.

DanMan on March 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Crazy uncle Paul sues people who uses his name. In a record setting ironic gesture he does so through UN for ronpaul.com. Yes, the evil global communist entity UN. And that’s just the beginning:

lester on March 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

If a municipality wants to outlaw roomies, let them. Move to another town. Silly laws are supposed to be passed in towns. It is when these crackpots go to Washington and persuade 218 reps and 51 Senators to pass crap like this that I have a problem.

tdarrington on March 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Usually when I hear a law regarding roommates, it’s usually in college towns where they’ve outlawed more than four unrelated people in a house (they call it “brothel laws,” but usually it’s a way to prevent off campus fraternities and sororities from creating a house).

ScoopPC11 on March 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Two vanity plates I’ve seen in California: HONIPOT & MERKIN.

SukieTawdry on March 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM

The 980 sq foot house next door to me has 20 people living in it. Tell me why that doesn’t hurt my property value?

southsideironworks on March 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

southsideironworks on March 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Report to Room 101!!!

Diversity!

Polish Rifle on March 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

southsideironworks on March 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Your neighborhood also hurts your property value.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

southsideironworks on March 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Who said someone is forbidden to affect your property value by doing what they want with theirs? Yes, there are limits (simple example: can’t build a cement factory in a residential neighborhood) but if someone wants to max out the use of their private domain, why do you get to stick your nose into their affairs?

Shy Guy on March 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

southsideironworks on March 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

This complaint is the same one used by racist democrats to keep blacks out of their neighborhoods in the 60s

Dollayo on March 5, 2013 at 4:37 AM

BobMbx on March 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Not quite, the irony was that 30 years ago a different, wealthy neighbor tried blocking a poorer couple from moving in. That poorer couple was the lady making the complaint in court today. So if the board had followed that uppity rich lady’s advice 30 years ago, the hag complaining about a neighbor with roommates would even be there to complain.

Kudos on that lady in the audience for pointing that out (and with a better tone than I would have).

nextgen_repub on March 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

southsideironworks on March 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I always assumed most cities/states had laws around the max number of Adults in a residence. Pretty sure where I’m from (in AZ) that there’s a limit of around 6 adults…thought I read that when going over some documents for a lawsuit.

nextgen_repub on March 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM